Author Topic: ♥♥♥ TAR14: Tamara & Victor Jih - Siblings/Lawyers  (Read 34092 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
♥♥♥ TAR14: Tamara & Victor Jih - Siblings/Lawyers
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
Biography
Tammy Jih (26); Victor Jih (35)
Hometown: San Francisco, Calif./Los Angeles, Calif.
Relationship: Siblings/Lawyers

If they can manage to work together, this smart and sassy brother/sister duo – both with Harvard Law degrees – might have just what it takes to outsmart the competition and cross the finish line first.

Tammy is a litigator who believes that her ability to keep a cool head under pressure, especially with little or no sleep, will lead to success on the Race. Her biggest pet peeve with her brother is that he’s a bit of a control freak. This was never more evident than when they recently traveled with friends to China and Victor mapped out the entire trip down to the minute.

Victor is a partner at his law firm and works as a corporate litigator. He is running the Race to see if he and his sister can co-exist in a hyper-competitive situation without driving each other crazy. Victor thinks that his teammate can be immature and selfish and he’s hoping the Race will remedy that.

Victor is confident in his decision making and believes his sister should do what he says as he knows best. Tammy would like to prove to Victor that she’s not a baby anymore and that it’s time he view her as an equal. Victor is modeling his game play after the cut-throat style of Rob and Amber while Tammy prefers Season 12 winners TK and Rachel’s laid back approach.

Both have traveled extensively and are supremely confident in their ability to win the million dollar prize.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:13:59 AM by puddin »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: •TAR14: Tamara & Victor Jih - Siblings/Lawyers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
A weaker form of Azaria and Hendekea, I can’t see these two working together for very long. Victor’s control issues will be what drives this team apart after a few legs. They claim to be able to make good decisions, even with little or no sleep, but I doubt that to be entirely true. Tammy and Victor: Welcome to the Elimination Station.

PREDICTION: 9th

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »
I on the other hand, think they will make the final 6 at least. I think they're strong but will suffer an Azaria and Hendekea elimination.

I know i should be rooting for Asians, but they don't appeal much to me for now. But it'll change later on, maybe..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »
Meet the new teams on 'The Amazing Race'
By DERRIK J. LANG
AP Entertainment Writer

Brother-and-sister team Victor Jih, 35, and Tammy Jih, 26, both graduated from Stanford University and Harvard Law School and now work as corporate litigators in California.

"Having seven years of higher education under our belts, we thought it would give us a big advantage because we're good at learning," said Tammy. "We went into this race knowing that everything we would face would be difficult and new and things that we're not familiar with, but we were really comfortable in the fact that we're good learners."

http://www.kansascity.com/402/story/1001410.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:15 AM »
Instant LOVE! Totally relate to the work-school-work thing, been there/done that. Can't believe with their high profile careers that they both were able to get away to do the race. Great brother/sister dynamics, I think they will rock this race! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
I think they'll be in the Final 3.
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »
My prediction, probably unlucky 4th
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
As peach says...Instant Love!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
I get a very strange Henry/Bernie vibe from them (and not because they're asian)
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »
Lol. I hope they do better!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
They are adorable and smart! Tammy reminds me of my 17yr old, same features, beautiful cheeks and maybe some Filipino genes ?  :hearts:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
This team is going to be strong but not have a ridiculous perfect record by last season's brother/sister team. They will be one of the "formidable" teams in the eyes of the other teams, but they may not be THE strongest. But I feel a win from them!

Prediction: 1st place finish
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »
I don't know, I like them, but with his controll issues...

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:26 AM »
I can't fathom this team coming first at all. I think their competetivness with each other and his control issues will bring them down.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
Dang, another Asian male with control issues!!!!

Yep, control issues just like between Ron and Christina......will do them in..........oops.......didn't Ron and Christina win?
Matthew 7:15

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »
Dang, another Asian male with control issues!!!!

Yep, control issues just like between Ron and Christina......will do them in..........oops.......didn't Ron and Christina win?

No

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
Thats right......they came in second......

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »

So do I. They are at the high end of the intelligence curve for Amazing Racers. I think their success will be determined not by control issues but by their fitness level, which is difficult to judge at this time.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »
no spoilers please
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:23:41 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:53 AM »
Lawyer Sibs Take Break to Compete on 'The Amazing Race'
Pam Smith/The Recorder
January 29, 2009

Now we know how Tammy and Victor Jih must've felt last fall.

Because here we are, racing against the clock against the blog Above the Law to see if we can get our interview with these California lawyers-turned-Amazing Race contestants up first. We only wish we could stick ATL with a detour yield right now.

But, we will type fast. We were not so Amazed to read Monday that there were some lawyers on the upcoming, and 14th, season of TAR. Lawyers on reality shows aren't news anymore. But for Tammy and Victor, we make an exception, because they are not only both based in California, but they're brother and sister, and they work for Am Law 100 firms. Really, we couldn't ask for a better excuse to watch.

Victor, 35, is a partner in L.A. at O'Melveny & Myers (#18 on last year's Am Law 100 list),Tammy, 27, is an associate in San Francisco at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges (#70), and they're the oldest and youngest, respectively, in a family with three kids. Mainly, we were curious if they were nervous at all about subjecting themselves to the scrutiny of clients and hundreds and hundreds of colleagues on TV: Especially because, according to the CBS Web site, he thinks she can be immature and selfish, and her biggest pet peeve with him is that he's a bit of a control freak.

Not surprisingly, they were a lot more tactful, though not technically contradictory to the above, when they described their relationship to us. Tammy's take: "All of my life, I've just totally looked up to him and followed in his footsteps. But as we've gotten older, we just bicker all the time." She said it good-naturedly, at least. And Victor's: "We're very close and we get along great. I think with that closeness comes sort of the freedom to speak our mind with each other. ... The challenge, of course, though, is I don't think any big brother-little sister combination is designed to be locked in a room together."

Victor is the longtime fan of the CBS reality show -- he even applied to be on it a long time ago, when he was an associate, with O'Melveny colleague Carla Christofferson, who heads the L.A. office. This time around, it was Tammy pushing them to try out. "After just working at a law firm for a couple of years, I started itching to travel and do something exciting, and I decided to apply," she says. "I started thinking, who would really want to do this and who would I have a chance of winning with."

Both claim their firms were full-on supportive. Tammy was staffed on the big Bratz doll trial that ended in August, and spent months in Riverside, Calif., for it. "By the time it was time to leave for the show, you know, the trial was over and most everybody was taking vacation anyway," she says. Now that she's back in the office (she wasn't allowed, per CBS, to say when she returned, exactly), "I'm still working on the Mattel case. But unlike Victor, I'm a lowly associate, so it's a little bit easier for me to leave."

Victor, also a litigator, says he was surprised at how easy it was to get approval from firm leadership. O'Melveny is big on its people being in the "outside world," he said, but he'd never had to put that to the test. "I thought that was just a slogan. Or at best, encouragement to go out and write articles and give speeches." (To his bosses: He laughed there, so we think he was kidding. Sort of.) He says it also helped that the main client he had to check with had come from a big-firm environment and was very into the idea of work-life balance.

The show, for those who haven't seen any of its 13 previous seasons, pits pairs of backpacking travelers from the U.S. against each other in a series of race-to-the-finish-line scavenger hunts that skip through foreign countries. Often the pairs exude some kind of gimmicky image that adds to their likability (see: Meredith and Gretchen) or loath-ability (see: Rob and Amber) with viewers, or that might make for interesting dynamics in any vacation situation -- much less one with a million-dollar prize, lots of sleep deprivation, scheming tripmates and a running clock thrown in.

Victor doesn't seem too concerned about humiliation. We wonder if that's because he knows he didn't do anything really screwy. But he recounts something his mom, looking forward to watching from Taiwan with her friends, told him: "She said at the end of the day, you are who you are, and everyone knows who you are. So what is there to be embarrassed about?"

The Jihs say their lawyer-y traits helped some in the contest, in that they're used to reading people, diving into totally unfamiliar territory, and communicating well. And being competitive. And paying attention to little things even when they're really, really sleep deprived. But maybe the whole legal angle had a drawback or two, too.

"I think it helped us that we were relentless. We read our clues in a very detailed manner, and we basically attacked everything from every angle," says Tammy, a self-proclaimed klutz who anticipates she'll see herself stumbling or running into doorframes once the episodes air. On the other hand, "We might've read our clues a little bit too much like lawyers sometimes, and said, 'It doesn't say you can't do this ... .'"

So did we beat ATL to the pit stop? We'll see when we post this.

[Update: First! Although, in fairness to ATL, they didn't know we were in the race, whereas we saw after our interview this morning that they were. We were stealth.]

First reported in the blog Legal Pad.

For all the very cute multiple interactive links, go here:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202427820955
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:12:47 PM »
 The Harvard Crimson:

HLS Alums Race Around The World
Two siblings to appear on CBS’s reality show ‘The Amazing Race’
Published On Thursday, January 29, 2009  12:26 AM

By ERIC P NEWCOMER
Crimson Staff Writer

Many Harvard Law School graduates have made millions toiling away in corporate law offices, but two alums recently found another opportunity to hit the seven-figure mark—by competing in a race that spanned 40,000 miles and nine countries.

Victor H.J. Jih, who graduated from the Law School in 1996, and his younger sister Tamara “Tammy” Tien-jan Jih, who graduated a decade later, will appear on the 14th season of CBS’s “The Amazing Race,” which premieres Feb. 15.

The CBS reality television show pits 11 pairs of contestants against each other in a race around the world to the finish line—and a one million dollar prize. Competitors traveled to nine different countries—including India, Romania, and Siberia—all in the span of 22 days, according to a CBS press release.

Contestants cannot discuss the race itself before the show airs, so whether the Jihs won or were the first to be eliminated remains to be seen.

Victor Jih, a 35-year-old partner at the Los Angeles-based law firm O’Melveny & Myers LLP, said he has been interested in The Amazing Race since its first season. In a previous round, he applied with a O’Melveny colleague and was turned down as a contestant.

“I’ve actually been a fan since it first aired many, many years ago,” he said.

Nih said that he convinced his sister to watch the show, but she said she “didn’t really keep up with it in the last thirteen seasons.”

According to Victor, Tammy, a San Francisco attorney who was 26 while the show was being taped, is the one who pushed him to apply for the show again—this time with her as his partner.

“I totally credit my sister for making the dream a reality,” Jih said.

Jih said that the process of getting on “The Amazing Race” was in some ways harder to navigate than his Law School application. According to Jih, prospective law school students know what they can do to improve themselves as a candidate. But when it came to being chosen for The Amazing Race, Jih said that he had “no sense that it was even a possibility.”

The Jihs both received their undergraduate degrees from Stanford University before going on to HLS. Both Jihs pointed to their educations as an advantage in the race.

Tammy said, “[Competitors] have to learn very quickly how to adapt and how to handle those situations.”

The CBS press release also mentioned their Harvard Law degrees, saying, “If they can manage to set aside their sibling rivalries long enough to use their most valuable attribute—their intelligence...[they] might just have what it takes to outsmart the competition and be a force to be reckoned with.”

Jih said he did not try to frame himself as an archetypal HLS graduate in his application for the show.

“There is no trying to be Harvard or not trying to be Harvard,” he said. “It is so ingrained in who you are.”

When asked if he wanted to win the race, Victor said, “Of course I wanted to win it—I don’t want to be the Harvard grad and come in second.”

—Staff writer Eric P. Newcomer can be reached at newcomer@fas.harvard.edu

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=526217
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »
Nice Interview from Above the Law:

Interview with soon-to-be Reality TV Stars, Victor and Tammy Jih
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:31 PM - By Kashmir Hill

Starting February 15th, you'll be able to spend your Sunday nights watching hottie Biglaw siblings Victor and Tammy Jih go global as they compete for $1 million in the Amazing Race.

As noted yesterday, Victor Jih, 35, is a partner at O'Melveny and Myers, while Tammy Jih, 26, is an associate at Quinn Emanuel. We had a three-way with them yesterday, and asked about trading Biglaw for reality TV, how they got on the show, spending 4 weeks Blackberry-less, and whether Victor really thinks Africa is a country.

Victor may be the senior Biglaw member of the family, but Tammy always jumps in first to answer questions. Check out the interview, after the jump.

Kash: How did you decide to do the Amazing Race? Are you longtime fans of the show?

Tammy: Victor is the bigger fan of the show. He's been watching since the first season, and got me watching. But I am the one who decided we should apply.
Victor: I actually thought about applying before. When I was a junior associate, I talked about applying with a friend who had just made partner. We thought the show would love that. But we never applied.

Kash: What did you do to set yourselves apart in your application video?

Tammy: We just acted like ourselves. We were nerdy and fought with each other.
Victor: I told a story about a dream I had where Tammy was kidnapped by aliens. I called her on a cell phone to warn her. In the dream, she wouldn't listen to me, and she died.
Tammy: In the morning, he called me and he was actually mad at me.

Kash: You both went to Stanford, then Harvard Law School, and practice law in California now. Why have you followed such similar paths?

Tammy: Victor likes to think I am following in his footsteps but I don't see it that way... To put it in a way ATL readers would understand, in law school, Victor wrote the outlines that everyone studied off of. I was the one copying and studying off of outlines.

Kash: For the filming of the show, you had to be out of the office from Oct. 31 through Nov. 21. And you couldn't tell your firms that you were doing the Amazing Race, due to CBS rules. How were you able to take the time off to compete?

Tammy: I had been on a trial for a few months, and people were actually expecting me to take time off.
Victor: As a partner, it was really hard... If a client had not wanted me to do it, I wouldn't have... There was a lot of trust at the firm and with clients.

Kash: How did you go four weeks without email or phone access or the ability to address client needs?

Victor: Both of us had paid our dues, and worked really hard at our firms. Tammy was coming off of an intense trial...
Tammy: I had actually already hit my hours before I left.
Victor: It was easy to get people to rally behind us... If I didn't have clients who were totally on board, I wouldn't have done it. One client said she's a big believer in work/life balance, and that it applies to me as well.

Kash: How many e-mails awaited you when you returned?

Tammy: Hundreds and hundreds
Victor: Over a thousand, even after having gotten off of every spam list I could think of before I left.

Kash: How is the return to Biglaw after racing the world?

Tammy: Jarring. I am giving interviews today in the midst of writing a motion.
Victor: Taking a moment away was invigorating and recharging. One of the dangers of being a lawyer is losing your humanity so it was good to be out in the world and interacting with people.

Kash: What's been the reaction at Quinn Emanuel and O'Melveny since finding out Monday that you are starring in the Amazing Race?

Tammy: People were a little mad at me for keeping it a secret.
Victor: I've been getting a lot of e-mails from partners, associates and staff wishing me luck. But I'm sure I'll be the talk at the water cooler once the show starts. I've already been getting lots of flak about calling Africa a country. [Ed. note: In this CBS clip]

Kash: Did your familiarity with the law help you at any point along the way during the Race? How did being lawyers set you apart from the other competitors?

Tammy: Both Victor and I know how to work really hard with very little sleep.
Victor: We knew we would be presented with a lot of challenges that we wouldn't know how to do. We've been through a lot of school, and we're good at learning... Plus, part of being a lawyer is figuring out something you know nothing about on a regular basis.

Kash: Soon you'll join the ranks of famous Harvard law grads. Two other famed HLS grads, Barack Obama and John Roberts, were in the spotlight on Jan. 20 during the Inauguration. What are your thoughts on the oath flub by your fellow alumni?

Tammy: You can't put us in the same sentence as those two!
Victor: Given my own flub on Africa as country, I am very empathetic and totally understand. But I went into this whole thing knowing that I would make mistakes. Everyone does. It's more interesting to be a person who does.

Kash: So as the latest hottie Biglaw reality TV stars, can you tell me your relationship statuses?

Tammy: I have a boyfriend, who's actually a Harvard Law School grad.
Victor: I'm Facebook single... Maybe I should stop talking.

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/01/interview_with_soon-to-be_real.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
Same.  Fourth, if not that.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 12:11:02 AM »
Love ya Tammy and Victor! Good Luck and Happy RACE DAY!  :hearts: :jumpy: