I think popular but mediocre teams like David and Mary are okay. I'm pretty sure the producers always belief that the race is unpredictable. If Charla and Mirna can make it all the way to the F3, anyone can.
In fact, Kevin and Drew also belong to the group of popular (no longer after Allstars) but just mediocre team.
I would love for TAR to do an Allstars season once every let's say.. 6 to 7 seasons.. in that way.. we can have at least 2 memorable teams from each season.
Some teams i would love to see for now after Allstars (TAR 12 & 13)
1. Ronald and Christina
2. Kynt and Vyxsin
3. Terence and Sarah
Some teams i would really like to see from previous seasons but didn't make the cut of Allstars 1
1. Colin and Christie
2. Tara and Wil
3. Derek and Drew
4. Flo and Zach
5. Kris and Jon
6. Fran and Barry
7. Lyn and Karlyn
Mind you.. not all of these teams are my favourites. But i believe will add some sort of intense competition to an Allstars season!
Joab, I should say that your post has convinced me that I need to expand the principles to include:
5. No team which has participated previously in an AR All-Stars will be conisdered. You should note that this would allow Eric to race again with Jeremy.
6. The selection process should not be biased to give Female/Female teams or teams involving a very short person a better chance(which AR5 and AR11 did for Charla in allowing early boarding and exit on/off airplanes) . It should ignore gender and focus on performance.
Joab, you are making several bold and incorrect statements there:
1. Kevin and Drew finished 4th in AR1, being eliminated by Joe/Bill in Beijing. They would qualify under my 4th place is OK principle for inclusion. I do not consider their AR1 performance as mediocre, as they were a very short time away from competing in the final 3; however their AR11 performance was embarrassing. Since they have already been in an AR All Star race, they would not be considered.
2. Colin and Christie were invited to All-Stars but could not participate due to the advanced nature of Christie's pregnancy.
3. I can't absolutely substantiate this, but I believe Kris and Jon were invited to Stars but declined to participate.
4. It is quiet possible that Zach and Flo were invited, but Zach had NBC-TV obligations and could not do it.
Under my principles, Ronald and Christina would be eligible for their 2nd place AR12 finish. Neither Kynt/Vyxsin (#5 in AR12) or Terence and Sarah (#5 in AR13) would be eligible under those principles. This is merely a difference of opinion in how principles should be established, as alternative approaches (such as including #5s) would qualify them.
So, I guess I should tell you who I would invite if there were AR Allstars 2 as AR15:
1. Colin and Christie
2. Chris and Alex
3.Zach and Flo (I particularly want to see them going head-to-head with Colin and Chrstie)
4. Jon and Al
5. Jon and Kelly
6. The Bowling moms(Linda and Karen)
7. Kris and Jon
8. Eric and Jeremy
9. BJ and Tyler
10. Nick and Starr
11. somebody from the top 4 of AR14