Author Topic: TARA 3 - Finale Discussion Thread **** Spoilers--Includes WINNERS--beware!****  (Read 18445 times)

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
Re: TARA 3 - Finale Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »
So Sony's spoiler is true....
LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 08:07:46 AM »
That darned ad is going to take on mythical proportions now! :funny:

Cabio--can you tell us where on Phuket they were? I was convinced they were on Koh Sumai...

And what was pull and what was plunge?

And did they show I/T at the end??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
Oh gosh--I hope we get a copy soon!!

It is going to seem like a really long wait.....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alvin06

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »
I think they went to Chalong Island. Or something that sounds like that.

Offline cabioTAR

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »
That darned ad is going to take on mythical proportions now! :funny:

Cabio--can you tell us where on Phuket they were? I was convinced they were on Koh Sumai...

And what was pull and what was plunge?

And did they show I/T at the end??

sorry peach - I lost in Phuket ...

Pull - to find marked  shell that hanging in - i'm not sure what it's called - fish tank's farm

Plunge - to search giant shell with pearl inside
LOVE TARA - cabioTAR

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »
Thank you Alvin and Cabio!!

I can't find it though...

Here are some nice Phuket Maps if anyone has any ideas?http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/phuket_map/phuket_map_island.html

And CABIO-- :ty3: for the updates!! :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline nokmdk

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »
If I remember correctly (just watched the episode now) they went for the pearl thing at Laem Sing which is a private beach near kamala beach.

Phuket isn't that big and the main road goes in circle around the island. Bigger than Samui of course but the road is much better

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
recap's up!
http://www.calvinshub.com/2008/11/20/the-amazing-race-asia-3-episode-11/

Congratulations again to Sam and Vince!! and also to the other two teams. :)
Read my recaps on The Amazing Race Asia after each episode.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
Thank You Calvin! :yourock:

Oooh and thanks for that beach info, nokmdk! :yess: Off to look....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
If all goes right. I'm going to do a finale recap.
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
I have taken a quick pass at the flights Ida/Tania were likely to take on a route to Dubai and then Singapore to get to Phuket. There is only one morning flight form SIN HKT on Sunday so it is critical that they get to Singapore in time to get it. However, that flight also keeps them behind the other 2 teams.

WY436 MCT DXB 1335 1440
IC594  DXB BLR  1615 2210
SQ503 BLR SIN  2310 0610+1

MI752  SIN HKT 0850 0935

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 02:59:43 PM »
I haven't seen it posted by others so far, so the times for pitstop release were:

Ida/Tania 542am
Geoff/Tisha 554am
Vince/Sam 1004am, which means they were 22 minutes behind the leader before the 4 hour penalty

The first task is at the Governor of Muscat's local Office. It has hours of operation starting 8am, so Vince/Sam instantly make up maybe 1.5 hours of their 4.4 hour gap. the next task is driving to Said's Camel Farm and each team member walking a new camel 5 times to make 10 total trips for the team.

That's as far as the segments I have seen (first and last) can report without violating the information on withholding the finish information. I can say that the final tasks include a DETOUR of diving to open a giant clam with a giant pearl(presumably plastic) inside or finding a marked shell in a cultivation area and going to a marked area to dig with your hands for treasure chests containing $100,000. As I know more I will fill in the information on the ciritical middle.

What happens booking flights at the Muscat airport is vital to explaining how the teams finish.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:53:40 AM by apskip »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 03:22:52 PM »
What happens booking flights at the Muscat airport is vital to explaining how the teams finish.
I haven't seen it yet, but when TAR9 came through Seeb they had only two choices: Marmul or OUA (see here). There were some odd things about that departure, but that's for another thread.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »
That's as far as the segments I have seen (first and last) can report without violating the information on withholding the finish information.

It is okay to post the spoilers in this thread only, we know who won. But I am trying to keep the info out of the other threads esp the contestant threads and even the spoiler threads.

Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »
The office of the Governorate of Muscat is back in Muscat, so that means a few things:
1. The 2.5 hour drive out has to be reversed with a significant drive back. That makes sense since the first 2 teams are released before 6am and we know that Geoff/Tisha reach the governorate's office at 730am and Ida/Tania are already there by then. We can assume that it takes Vince/Sam until 1135am to get there. Ida/Tania and Geoff/Tisha will leave here around 8:02am, minutes after it opens.

2. The next task is at Said's Camel Farm, which is at Amal al Diad as best I could hear it. I have tried hard to locate this, but haven't succeeded yet. My guess is that it is no more than 30 minutes from the Governor's Office and also from the Muscat airport. If that is so then one hour transit plus the time for walking the camels (guess 30 minutes but it could be longer) puts those teams at the airport around 930am if they have no delays due to driving in the sand.

3. Vince/Sam will leave Governor's Office around 11:37 and get to the Camel Farm around 12:07pm. they could then get back to the airport by about 1:07pm. That is cutting it close for a 1:35PM flight but appaerntly they must make it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The system ate my first atempt to post this. I am redoing it from memory.

The tasks in Oman of driving to the office of the governorate of Muscat and then driving to the camel farm were already mentioned in my previous post, so that's where we will start. Teams take different approaches in herding camels. Ida and Tania each take one, leading to 5 passes; Geoff took two and Tania one, leading to 4 passes; Vince and Sam combined took one for the first 4 or so, then were each taking one, for a total of 7 passes. Teams then had to drive to marked sand field where 70 keys were buried, with only 7 of them able to open the clue box. Driving in the last part on loose sand was treacherous for the teams going in or out and all them them lost a lot of time there. Finding the right key was a random task. I have to believe that Vince/Sam somehow made up maybe 2 hours of their 2.5 hour deficit leaving the Governorate because they are shown passing Geoff/Tisha and Ida/Tania leaving as they enter.

What I know new is that the key task causes teams to not make the 1335 flight to Dubai and must wait for the next flight. The information on when that is is conflicting. The episode shows it at 440pm while my flight schedules show it at 4pm. Either way teams teams to get to Dubai in time to connect to Bangkok on the same flight TG522 1755 0505+1, but due to travel agent incompetence in Muscat airport Ida/Tania are not on that and have to find an alternative. They elect to go through Singapore, the best option facing them. However, SQ411 DXB SIN 2000 0715+1 connects with the first SIN HKT flight MI752 0830+1 0935+1 while the other teams get TG203 BKK HKT 0730+1 0850+1 and are 45 minutes ahead of them. That effectively dooms Ida/Tania's hopes of winning.

The other tasks were taxi to an ice store, find a plastic cube in a barrel of crushed ice (a dumb task that did not appear to differentiate teams at all), then get a taxi to Sam Hong temple(which was the critical difference between Vince/Sam who decided to switch to get a good taxi driver and Geoff/Tisha who had a poor one). Then it was out in a traditional fishing vessel to meet a boat between islands with the clue, then a DETOUR of Plunge (find a giant clam and open it to find a plastic pearl) or PULL (up strings with items attached until you find the one with the ARA3 logo. Finally it was digging sand in a marked pit to find a treasure chest containing the $100,000 winnings.

I was very pleased with the design of this Finale. Michael Mckay always had had a daunting array of tasks in the finales and this was no exception.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
Thanks so much for the airline info, apskip.  It's much appreciated to see how far behind  Ida and Tania were behind.

While I was pleased with the finale, I was disappointed that the design of the final leg did not penalize a team that quit a roadblock.

But overall I enjoyed this season very much.  This was the season that finally made me enter the land of the torrents.   :tup:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
And for anyone with the requisite patience to await the finish of long downloads, torrents are a great way to go. The only problem is usually(although not for the ARA3 finale), torrents are not available until after alternative modes of viewing Amazing Race Asia.