Author Topic: Life on Mars Season 1  (Read 5092 times)

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
Life on Mars Season 1
« on: November 15, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20229922,00.html

Life on Mars (2008)

By Gillian Flynn

Of all the alienated heroes crowding the fall schedule, New York cop Sam Tyler (Men in Trees' Jason O'Mara) may be the most estranged. In 2008, he's chasing a serial killer while suffering commitment issues with his girlfriend and fellow detective, Maya (Lisa Bonet, welcome back). Then — bam! — an accident knocks him unconscious, and he wakes up in 1973. Ultimately returning to his precinct, he finds himself surrounded by polyestered cops — including Harvey Keitel and The Sopranos' Michael Imperioli — who are unfamiliar not just with modern police tactics but with modern attitudes: They call a female police officer (Gretchen Mol) ''No Nuts Norris.'' Sam's a man disconnected, out of sequence, trying to get back to 2008 — not that he was any less alienated there.

Based on a popular BBC series, Life on Mars, like Mad Men, makes a long-ago era feel both alien and nostalgic, like in the sweet moment where Sam wanders into a record store and just beams. O'Mara invests Sam with a tricky mix of shell shock and sensibility: Being the pragmatic detective he is, he begins working a 1973 murder that may be linked to his 2008 serial-killer case, buzzing with doubt all the while. Sam believes he must be in a coma, and hopes that once he stops dreaming so realistically, he'll wake up. ''Details, there are only so many details,'' he mutters...and as
 he scans the mad bustle of a New York City street, we all settle in for the duration. B+
-----------------
Start Date: Oct 09, 2008; Genres: Drama, Police; With: Jason O'Mara, Harvey Keitel, Lisa Bonet, Sopranos' Michael Imperioli
-----------------

I didn't see the premier, but hope to if there are reruns.  Have watched several episodes...enough to know I really like this show. 

At first, I wasn't sure b/c I was puzzled on why the wierd film treatment was used...in yellowish-gray-green hues/tints.  But after I realized the CONCEPT of the storyline, I understood the special film treatment was used to depict the 70's era.  It took me a few eps to focus on the concept and how the color fits in perfectly.  It's easy to let your mind slip into Year 2008, but when you do, you'll soon be thinking "no, the setting is 1973"!!  The more I watch it, the more I'm "getting into" the right year and thus, into Sam's world and state of mind.

Check it out!   :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Life on Mars Season 1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »
i like this show too rudy..i love the 70's music they play and the clothes..i don't like the yellow ness they flim in to make it look older i wish they would just film in hd.great show..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »
Unfortunately, this show was canceled, but ABC will give it a finale. Episode 17, I believe.
Just here to visit.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »
my day just keeps getting worse...... so 2 new shows i love r getting the ax. i realy like privlaged also and i heard it went by by also...
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
Yeh, I read in this week's TV Guide Mars will be cancelled.  Dang.  (:;)  :'(
 They should give it another season.  :yess:

:'( Another show that MAY be cancelled is CHUCK which I reeeally love!!  :yess: :yess:
I sooo hope it stays.  Think I'll write ABC & NBC and ask if they'd please keep these shows.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
Yeh, I read in this week's TV Guide Mars will be cancelled.  Dang.  (:;)  :'(
 They should give it another season.  :yess:

:'( Another show that MAY be cancelled is CHUCK which I reeeally love!!  :yess: :yess:
I sooo hope it stays.  Think I'll write ABC & NBC and ask if they'd please keep these shows.

Yeah, tell them Rudy has spoken  :vader: :neener:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
yea rudy and can u call the cw waile u r at it and tell them to bring bk privlaged..i love loved that show.. :'( :'(
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:29:02 AM »
I wonder why this title called Life on Mars?  Is the protagonist guy went to the red planet besides he'd traveled back in time? :duno:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
i watched a show last night i for get the name maby flash back, any way it reminde me of life on mars but was not even close to as good. it has something to do in reincarnation and i don't belive in that so??? the show was trying to b a cross beteen chrimanl minds and castel and life on mars and none of it was working...jmo
tv junky needs help!!!!!