Author Topic: EP9:11/23 "That Is Studly"  (Read 54807 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP9:11/23 "That Is Studly"
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
Now I see it Neobie, the outfits are mixed up  :lol:

heres the video slowed down, shown during the Price is right

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2008, 01:26:15 PM »
Bread in Ken's hand?

Camp Klause whatever is near a lake or a Wall :lol:(nvm)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
Behind the wall in the distance looks to me like a not very high mountain with large empty areas. Are they a lake? Given the tilted vertical orientation of that space, I conclude that it is not a lake. Unfortunately, I cannot identify what is is.

One concept that has occurred to me is that they look like ski slopes. Since it was early May, the chances of that being snow are small but maybe it is bare ski trails.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:03:21 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2008, 04:15:16 PM »
I'm thinking the camouflage embedded in the background is messing us up apskip  :lol:

Episode Detail: That Is Studly - Amazing Race 13
*The teams travel from Almaty, Kazakhstan, to Moscow on the ninth leg of the race.
*Once there, the pairs must learn to march with Russian soldiers.
*One duo make an expensive purchase that leaves them unable to pay their cabdriver, who blocks their way to the pit stop.

I wonder if the marching with soldiers isn't just a task to get the next clue? We sure are missing detour footage if so :knuckles:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008, 02:03:07 AM »
The messup in outfit is hilarious.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2008, 02:32:57 AM »
Do you see what I see? :funny:

Hmmm...

Ken has his own on:

So does this mean that  N/S were there well before (or well after) Ken/Tina and used their outfit? We don't actually see them there together, right?

Or were there two outfits that said Ken/Tina? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2008, 03:00:11 AM »

So does this mean that  N/S were there well before (or well after) Ken/Tina and used their outfit? We don't actually see them there together, right?

Or were there two outfits that said Ken/Tina? ???

I thought Nick just has Starr's uniform on, and she has his...I don't think Ken and Tina come into it :duno:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:03 AM »
oh....   :-[ :-[

I need to make those bigger--I thought I was seeing Ken/Tina on the tags. Off to buy new glasses, lol!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2008, 03:37:19 AM »
Can you imagine Starr in Ken's uniform? .....it would definitely make for comic TV trying to march in oversize pants :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
Same Same ...

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
Still no luck on the camp village: tenerneska, something like that. I've tried the usual gazetteers: fallingrain, alexandria, NGIA, etc.

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2008, 12:24:47 PM »
Still no luck on the camp village: tenerneska, something like that. I've tried the usual gazetteers: fallingrain, alexandria, NGIA, etc.

Try:   http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

Most genealogist use this website to find names of their ancestor's village which could be very difficult to read in old records.

I used Tenemeska and came up with Domninskiye which is 75.7 miles S of Moscow.

Using tenerneska puts you out in the ocean.  Domininskiye may not be right but you could try different spelling or just a few of the first letters.  Maps are mostly in Russian.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
For lack of something to do..........

Russian tourists salute army boot camp 

Russians seeking an unusual two-day break can now go to an army boot camp to be barked at, bullied and subjected to gruelling physical exercises.
A tour operator in the central Russian region of Yaroslavl is arranging the trips for those with 3,000 roubles (about $100) to spare.

Battle-hardened veterans from the ongoing war in Chechnya are among the soldiers who are putting the "48-hour recruits" through their paces.

According to a report by Moscow's REN TV, the Chechnya veterans "say they have lots of experience and are happy to share it".

Among those who have signed up for the experience are students, businessmen and managers. The tour operator is convinced that demand will soon outstrip supply.

The TV reporter notes: "Russians are fond of extreme tourism."

Knuckling down

Army life begins as soon as they enter the military camp. An instructor reads the camp rules and the new recruits are given 20 minutes to change into fatigues.

They take a military oath which "sounds like a complete relinquishment of all civil rights", notes the TV correspondent, adding that "bullying is provided on request".

One instructor tells the newcomers: "Violations are punished in an easy and simple way. For any violation of discipline, you will get 50 press-ups on your knuckles."

Lacking home comforts
"So when an order comes to run, everybody copes with it very well," says the correspondent.

Nor are any concessions made for sustenance. Fish and potato soup for the first course, followed by porridge from a military field kitchen.

Among the more interesting experiences on offer over the two days are participation in special reconnaissance missions and familiarisation sessions on armoured personnel carriers and military helicopters.

Chechen war veteran Alexander Dorobikov says part of the course is modelled on the training of the Russian special services.

But for some, even two days in the army is too much, and they talk about going AWOL (absent without leave).

Andrei, a student, says: "Everything is all right while you are filming, but afterwards... People are difficult here."

However, Alexei, a manager who has already served an army stint, is enjoying himself.

"The mess tins are the same, but the spoons and cups are different. Meals are excellent. Just what you need in the army."

Role reversal

The director of the travel company organising the tours, Denis Demin of Armiya Tur (Army Tour) believes they satisfy a number of different needs.

Not quite the latest fashion
"Young people who have not served in the army get to receive an impression of it. Businessmen who are in their 30s and 40s and who are used to leading people are interested in having somebody to command them for a change. They are tired of being constantly in charge," he says.

Military instructors are currently developing a longer programme, the TV report concludes.

"Very soon interested parties will be able to pay an extra fee to be bullied and to be forced to follow army orders unquestioningly."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3737202.stm

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
 :duno:  Calm before the storm?

This is the quietest this group has been during a TAR season.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »
We don't have much to work with gator  :'(, no extra clip, no Phil's Diary and it looks like no Detour evidence. Besides I think most are thinking this is the last Non Elim. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new preview today  :duno:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
We don't have much to work with gator  :'(, no extra clip, no Phil's Diary and it looks like no Detour evidence. Besides I think most are thinking this is the last Non Elim. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a new preview today  :duno:

And it didn't help that the RFF forums were offline most of yesterday...   :groan:  gosh darn that Rob   (:;)  :meow:  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »

And it didn't help that the RFF forums were offline most of yesterday...   :groan:  gosh darn that Rob   (:;)  :meow:  :lol:
I forgot about that part Boingo  :lol: :-[ ;). Rob did not know when the server was going to be moved but the good news is we now have a real dedicated server!!  :jam:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »
Rob did not know when the server was going to be moved but the good news is we now have a real dedicated server!!  :jam:

Good news on the dedicated server. :yess:

We may be going into the episode like an average TV viewer.  How weird?!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
*One team's expensive purchase comes back to haunt them when an unpaid taxi driver stands in their way to the Pit Stop.
I heard a TAR radio commercial in the car today (I rarely hear those), and it sounded like Dandrew complaining about no cab money.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
*One team's expensive purchase comes back to haunt them when an unpaid taxi driver stands in their way to the Pit Stop.
I heard a TAR radio commercial in the car today (I rarely hear those), and it sounded like Dandrew complaining about no cab money.
NICE one Slowhatch!
I remember hearing a commercial on the radio for TAR7 and it was for sure Ucheena & Joyce yelling "We won!" and  "we're millionaires" or something like that but still my votes went for Romber, I was so deaf and blind I refused to believe they lost, lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »

We know more than that! :)

We have the get a clue at the monastary--do what? Match an icon? :duno: Or is this a detour?

Russian army...would they have two isolated get a clues? With "costumes"? I'm wondering if this isn't a detour task?

Roadblock! And we know who is leading...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »

We know more than that! :)

We have the get a clue at the monastary--do what? Match an icon? :duno: Or is this a detour?

Find the Pope in the pizza?

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2008, 05:38:37 AM »
Try:   http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

Most genealogist use this website to find names of their ancestor's village which could be very difficult to read in old records.

I used Tenemeska and came up with Domninskiye which is 75.7 miles S of Moscow.

Using tenerneska puts you out in the ocean.  Domininskiye may not be right but you could try different spelling or just a few of the first letters.  Maps are mostly in Russian.

Sorry I messed up and the above link doesn't work.

Is it possible they used a train to get someplace.  Matt's pictures presented in slides has a train engine.  I felt the name Nick is trying to say sounded like it started with the sound of tenor.  I come up with a railroad station 5.9 miles NNW of Moskva

Going to the ShtetlSeeker at jewishgen.org I did some playing around and found:
Timiryazevskaya, Platforma
Timiryazeva, Raz”yezd
Timiryazeva, Raz”yezd
Timiryazevo, Stantsiya
Timiryazevo, Ostanovochnyy
Punkt Timiryazevskaya.
These are various forms of Timiryazevskiy

ETA:  FORGET ALL OF THIS.  M5 IS SSE.  WHY WOULD THEY BE GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS.  ALSO DOMININSKIYE IS NEAR M2.  After I typed all of this I saw how wrong it was.  I read where the "Bootcamp" was in a forest outside of Moscow I thought maybe they went there by train.  Then I saw the picture of a train.

That "Tenor" something has been bugging me.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
I've spent a good bit of time following the M5 map myself and I can't find a Ten-er something village either... :pull
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
Nick is just starting the Roadblock after Ken (and presumably Dallas) have finished theirs.

See that the flour bags are already piled up to the bakery lady's right.  That was where Ken was placing his bags.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders