Author Topic: Episode 5 live (well maybe not) show updates and discussion  (Read 24327 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Episode 5 live (well maybe not) show updates and discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
Apskip, just curious why do you feel everything is designed to give Nick & Starr an advantage?

And I haven't seen this episode, so that might be way I don't understand (though I do understand that Nick denied having found the clue in Angkor Wat).

Oh, and since I am having trouble getting this episode (and have been swamped with work) thanks for the flight breakdown, I am going to steal it....

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
mswood, I think you misunderstood my comment - "Nick and Starr are bending the standards of competitive behavior. Nothing that they do is illegal; it's just that everything is designed to give them an "unfair" advantage." This is based on behavior from Nick such as being OK to throw a log or branch into the road (on the way to the Siem Reap boat dock) to delay other teams to "hold them up for 30 seconds". Of course it wold have taken more than 30 seconds to do it, so if that's the time the next team is held up it would be counterproductive. The episode at the Bayon Temple was just a comment which any racer on any race might have said to hide the path to the clue they had just found and that another team was near. The latter in my book was acceptable behavior but the former was not, as there was the possiblity of real physical injury to other teams if Nick had actually done it. The key is the philosophy of Nick and Starr, which is "win at all costs" which as you can see I dislike intensely.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:51:32 PM by apskip »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
lol apskip, nick was probably joking. I seriously doubt he would have thrown a log into the middle of the road.. LOL :umn:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:43 PM »
Michael, I don't think he was just joking. He will sell his soul for half the $1,000,000 prize. He is opportunistic to the max. Some people would call that slimy.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:28 PM »
Apskip, i can't believe somebody as wise as you is falling prey to the editing of an individual on a reality show.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
Michael, it's a personality type. I used to see many of that type in Corporate America. It's not me falling for editing. I really believe that Nick is a highly manipulative individual who will stop at nothing to reach his goal. We also know that Starr is exactly the same way from her statements before the race.

I assume that you are trying to tell me that Nick was elected to be the villain of AR13. That may be, but look at his underlying character.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »
Editing is all powerful.

So far I see intense racers with loads of drive and a very few mildly sneaky manoeuvres (I might do worse myself in the heat of the moment  :snicker:)  I think they are playing hard to win, and that's good for the game. Remember the Cho's? I don't want any more "after you", "No, after YOU" 's on my races.

I certainly am not able to comment on someone's character from the show so far.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
ew, the chow  brothers and the six pack :barf

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
Cool apskip I was curious what you were talking about.  But based on editing I would guess this didn't happen.  TYpical if a team is being editing as the devious one (which they are being shown as such) then they show us the bad behavior). 

I don't disagree that they are trying to win and will lie easily to do so, but beyond lying I haven't seen anything else.