Author Topic: Barry Manilow tonite's guest judge  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Mamaschatzi

• Mama , Robs First Angel
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Redheads Rule!
Barry Manilow tonite's guest judge
« on: April 20, 2004, 09:57:06 AM »
I'm watching the Ellen show right now and Barry is one of the guests.  How awesome he is.  He is going to be the guest judge on AI tonite.  I have 2 funny stories about Barry.

When my husband and I first started going "steady" we used to hang out real late at night.  One night, I don't remember how it was brought up, we started discussing Barry and how much we both loved him.  I told him how when I was a little girl my Mom would play Barry Manilow and I remember when she remarried my aunt and myself got up and sang "I Just Want to be the one in Your Life" during the ceremony.  He proceeded to tell me how much his Mom also played Barry when he was growing up.  The next day, here he comes with the one Barry album (yes it was a vinyl album) that his Mom saved and then I pulled out of all my albums the same exact album.  We used to stay up and play his records and sing all the songs together.  Mike feels that he is one of the reasons that we were drawn together. 

Another time we had gotten tickets to see Barry at Radio City Music Hall and I remember as we were waiting on the line he was a little embarrassed and didn't want anyone he knew to see him there.  All of a sudden he sees another guy from his job standing on the line as well.  When his friend saw us we all started laughing.  His friend starts to tell us how his wife had to drag him there even though he really liked Barry anyway. 

Now, I must share this with all of you.  Here is a poem that Mike had written for me for our 10th anniversary.

A full ten years have passed since the day I asked you-
Will you spend your life with me?
I wasn’t sure if I would hear the words-“DEFINITELY!”
But when you looked into my eyes, and said that you would
I knew right then and there that this was something good
Who would have thought that connecting with Barry(Manilow-of course!)
Would lead us to marry- and not divorce!
That little Redhead- I remember- I hated!
She now was the women whom I had dated
Could I really have been so blind?
Your gym shorts and tank top blew my mind!
Thank God for the Frisbee and Pelham Bay Park
Without them I’d still be alone in the dark
To top it all off  you drove a 5-speed
A Pulsar named Jessica-a Diehard indeed!
And thanks go to Darlene who said  “That’s no kiss!”
We tried it again as if we had missed
From then on I knew that you were something Special-
My Love, My Life
My Michelle
We may rise and fall, but in the end
We meet our fate together.....Creed

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Barry Manilow tonite's guest judge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »
What a wonderful story Mama.  Thank's for sharing.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 07:37:32 PM »
That is so beautiful Mama  :'(......

CindiLou

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:33:52 PM »
Oh Mama. A true love story.  :'(

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 08:49:30 AM »
In all, I think that Barry Manilow night was great!  Barry is a great guy and good perfomer.  It looks like he took a lot of time with each of the contestants to mold his songs to them.

Offline Mamaschatzi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Redheads Rule!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 10:20:21 AM »
Oh I agree PapaBear!  How awesome.  It's funny, I knew all the words to every song!  Fantasia was great.  I really hope John gets the boot tonite.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:51:20 PM »
I just love Barry Manilow's songs too..i'm just glad that no one sang Copa Cabana..(I don't like that song) I wonder what next weeks theme will be??I'd love to here some of Michael McDonalds songs ..?

Offline Mamaschatzi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Redheads Rule!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 12:03:07 PM »
Ooh Puddin, I agree.  Michael McDonald's songs would be great but I don't think that he's got enough of them.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 12:13:02 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Mama..BRB ;)

FAREWELL TO JENNIFER

In a stunning turn of events, your votes placed La Toya, Fantasia and Jennifer in the bottom three. Fantasia and La Toya survived to face another round, but unfortunately, Jennifer was sent home. Who will step up next week and face the increasing pressure? And who will be sent home?

Find out when you watch more live performances Tuesday at 8/7c! Then return Wednesday at 8:30/7:30c for the live results show when six will become the final five!

Next week's guest: Gloria Estefan! Wow!!!!! I love her!! Now I have her songs in my head.. ;D I wonder who will sing what song??

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 12:33:46 PM »
Yikes, Gloria Estefan?  That's going to hard for a few of them to pull off.  I think that Johhny Red is toast after that one (of course we thougt he was toast last night).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 01:00:24 PM »
Gloria Estefan was pretty famous around here..this is where she had that awful bus accident that almost paralized her for life....She was very strong to come through that accident..I admire her strength..

Yeah..no matter , it looks like John will be around for awhile?? I guess that he has a good following? My BF and I Boo him and throw popcorn at the TV when he sings..heehee

Offline PapaBear

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 02:25:06 PM »
As far as John Stevens goes, I think Paula was right last night.  I think that he picked up most of JPL's former votes.  He may just be around for a while longer.