Author Topic: EP5:10/26 "Do It Like a Madman"  (Read 54850 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP5:10/26 "Do It Like a Madman"
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2008, 01:12:19 PM »
I'll have those promos up in a minute! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
Again, huge thanks to survivorphoenix for grabbing these for us!! :ty3:

10 sec: Dan/Andrew on the boat

15 sec:

Let's recheck the 5 and 20 sec ones for Aja--I don't remember seeing her yet...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »
I found Aja/Ty but not in the lake :lol:

What's he holding? Could those be TEETH? ???

But wait, we know he was seen stacking baskets at the truck and the we thought he looked wet, so why would he have another item too? Now I am puzzled...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 04:06:17 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline SingularStars

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The ultimate racer.
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
So wait, to whoever said that Kelly and Christy are not in the top 3, is that at the end of the leg.. or for what we know ?

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »
I think it's only to what we know -- or at least to the results of the first Detour choice.  Kelly & Christy might actually be fourth overall while Andrew & Dan are either fourth at the first Detour choice or fifth, and thus would be either fifth or sixth overall.  Doesn't matter anyway -- Aja & Ty are so far behind that whoever's sixth overall is still safe.

Belle Book

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
Actually I think the boat replacement problem is not that serious. First, as Aja/Ty are not there yet, the production team could arrange the spare boat for Terence/Sarah to use first, then the same boat will be used by Aja/Ty again. Also, the production team could switch the boat they use for filming for T/S, I think this is the way they do it when there is a car breakdown in the middle of nowhere or the starting point is too far away.

Does anyone think the coming episode is a NEL? I think this is possible because if Aja/Ty were that far behind and they were still doing tasks instead of being sent to pitstop directly, the next leg should be a NEL.
serendipity, I believe you are misinformed about how the filming of Amazing Race episodes happens. for each epsiode and each team there is a cameraman and a soundman/agent. They travel in all vehicles that a team does, which is why you frequently see the photographing of a team in the left side of the back seat of a taxi or one driving and the other behind on the same side in a car they drive. When in countries that adopted the British left hand side ocnvention, then those both shift to the opposite side. There is typically no trailing camera vehicle. The one exception that I can think of was in AR7 when Brian managed to crash his vehicle and a trailing vehicle did help some(but not Boston Rob) although there were probably some other instances.  However, the only person seriously injured in this crash was the cameraman.

I have heard that in certain places there are additional vehicles (security etc) who travel in convoy with the racers vehicle, and could quite possibly sometimes carry a camera man for some of those 'outside of the vehicle travelling' shots. I very much doubt however that they would give up their vehicle for a racer. And I also very much doubt that they would give a team another teams transportation, as that could seriously compromise the later teams race if the transportation wasn't back in time due to delays or further breakdowns. TAR must have a contingency plan for broken down vehicles, ie a spare vehicle located at the starting point or somewhere along the route, or an extra production vehicle that can be deployed if needed, and the length of time it takes to get the replacement is simply luck of the draw depending on where a team breaks down, and how far away the spare is.

Offline SingularStars

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The ultimate racer.
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »
I think it's only to what we know -- or at least to the results of the first Detour choice.  Kelly & Christy might actually be fourth overall while Andrew & Dan are either fourth at the first Detour choice or fifth, and thus would be either fifth or sixth overall.  Doesn't matter anyway -- Aja & Ty are so far behind that whoever's sixth overall is still safe.

Belle Book

Thank you! I just want my favourite team to do well, even though sixth is basically totally safe if you don't fall too far behind.  :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
Actually, I think they are all fairly close at the RB, excepting poor Aja/Ty of course.

Here's what I have so far--if I find more I'll add it into this post.  Posts from various of our sources!!

Nick at AW: clue in hand 

Chateau d if:This shot was taken here between 11:24 and 11:32 am
Also seen by same person:As far as your questions, the guy was by himself, though there was also a blond girl (TINA) w a green shirt (not the one you see in the picture, she is from my group) and a white baseball hat also looking for whatever. I have no idea what exactly they were looking for, and the day I saw them was Sunday May 4, I think late AM my time.

A/D at cluebox AW

1130 per Lorna also who knows another team was there just before them

Christy here searching per Chateau=noon

No sign of Terence/Sarah--how long are they delayed? per CBS their leg is screwed...

TY/Aja
spotted:
 I saw them after arriving near seim reap by boat from battambang, traveling through lake tonle sap. It was about 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday. (Would still have AW RB to do)

We also happened to see all the teams walking around Siem Reap town that evening and I recall seeing 6 teams.
Also, Jason did NOT see Aja/Ty in the airport the following day

We know Phil was still at the Pitstop at sunset "To finish the day we have seen the sunset in the main temple of Angkor Wat and which it has been our surprise that we have found ourselves to the presenter of our favorite program of the TV (Amazing Race)."  Waiting for Ty/Aja??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24168047@N03/2470380501/sizes/o/

So we have always been assuming that TY/Aja go out here.
But given the HUGE time distance from the other teams, it is not impossible that they just weren't seen in those 2 places because they weren't there yet.

SO I still think it is an elim, but it is not impossible for it to be a NEL based on the info above...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
One more thing:

We have a preview w/ Aja in the water and I think that promo cap shows Ty holding a vial of something (teeth) so do they change detours? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2008, 07:04:36 PM »
Thanks everyone that kept this episode goodies updated. Yes I saw Aja in the water waste deep but am going into this leg clueless because I haven't caught up, it might be fun for once ;)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
Tech note: test run. I found this trick on how to start an embedded video at a selected point, so I'll try it on this guided tour of Chong Khneas, skipping the tuktuk ride and leaving the boat ride.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
Gosh! LOVE the tour! and LOVE the trick!! :ty3:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
From a post elim interview:

Aja: If we went in feeling bad about the fact that our flight came in two hours after everyone else's, we would have really defeated ourselves before we even began.

How far behind Andrew and Dan were you at the pit stop?
Aja: They were finished before we got off the plane.
Ty: It wasn't that far.
Aja: No, it was. They were finishing as we got off the plane.
Ty: You're making it sound like they finished a full day ahead of us. They finished two hours before we did.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/2008/10/the_amazing_racewe_went_out_fi.php
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:07 PM »
See the Aja/Ty thread for my take on the contradictory nature of "we landed while Dan/Andrew were finishing" (a correct statement as far as I can determine) vs. "we finished two hours behind" (an incorrect statement that is off by about 2 hours 35 minutes).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »
As a kind of nice finish to this leg, our source who gave us this picture:

Was thrilled to be able to see some of the members of his team helping out Nick...

http://rezworldtour.blogspot.com/2008_10_26_archive.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2008, 11:22:36 PM »
As a kind of nice finish to this leg, our source who gave us this picture:

Was thrilled to be able to see some of the members of his team helping out Nick...

http://rezworldtour.blogspot.com/2008_10_26_archive.html
Those photos were great! I wish they shared with us  :lol: :-[  ;)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »
Did anyone notice on the CBS site the order of finish? I guess the 30 minute penalty was already applied moving Christy and Kelly up one spot. I hope that makes them happy  :lol: "FIFTH!?"

Order of Finish:

1. Nick & Starr
2. Toni & Dallas
3. Ken & Tina
4. Kelly & Christy
5. Terence & Sarah
6. Andrew & Dan
7. Aja & Ty

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/recaps/1305/?season=13

Offline SingularStars

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • The ultimate racer.
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
I sure am happy, middle of the pack looks much better!  ;)

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2008, 12:00:20 AM »
See the Aja/Ty thread for my take on the contradictory nature of "we landed while Dan/Andrew were finishing" (a correct statement as far as I can determine) vs. "we finished two hours behind" (an incorrect statement that is off by about 2 hours 35 minutes).

In the interview Georgia Peach posted in their thread they state that the leg only took 2 hours to complete. They seem pretty clear on that. :duno:
Reality TV World: On the fifth leg, how far behind that second flight that left Auckland were you? The show didn't really make it clear.

Ty: We were just two hours behind. It was a short leg so... [On] the previous leg even if you had done it pretty fast you still were out there for seven or eight hours. This one was a short leg -- it was only a two hour leg -- so right as we were getting the cab to go to the gas station, Dan and Andrew were finishing it up. So they were about two hours ahead of us.

<snip>

Reality TV World: About how far behind Andrew and Dan do you think you arrived at the Cambodian Pit Stop?

Aja: It was two hours.

Ty: Yeah, about two hours. Everybody did the course in two hours, give or take a minute here and there. We finished two hours behind them, and it might've played out a little bit differently if we had gotten a fair shake at it.

<snip>

They actually said that our time was the best time on the leg and if we had got a fair shake than we would have probably been first.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2008, 07:17:59 AM »
Mrs. Shrek, you missed the article by In touch Weekly and posted Marigold just ahead of your Reality TV World article in the Aja/Ty Racers thread:

The Amazing Race
"We went out fighting"

The Amazing Race
Aja and Ty
Eliminated October 26

You were in last place the entire leg, how did you manage to keep such a positive outlook?
Ty: I was hoping it would be a non-elimination leg. All we needed was one team to make a really bad mistake and we would have been okay. You never know what could happen and we could have been right back in it.
Aja: Yeah, and for me I just felt like if we were to have approached that leg with a defeatist attitude, it would have affected everything that we did and how hard we pushed ourselves. If we went in feeling bad about the fact that our flight came in two hours after everyone else's, we would have really defeated ourselves before we even began. And I just looked at it like if we are going to go out, we're going to go out like champions. I'm still happy that we went out fighting.

How far behind Andrew and Dan were you at the pit stop?
Aja: They were finished before we got off the plane.
Ty: It wasn't that far.
Aja: No, it was. They were finishing as we got off the plane.
Ty: You're making it sound like they finished a full day ahead of us. They finished two hours before we did.

Now, why would Aja saw that they landed when Dan/Andrew were finishing? Because that is accurate. Why would Ty say that they finished 2 hours behind when the planned tasks took the best team at least 4 hours 35 minutes per my analysis and supported by visual evidence? I am not sure, but there are 2 possible explanations;

1. World Race Productions, because it no longer mattered and to allow Phil to finish up sooner, shortened their tasks
to just a few to allow them to finish in 2 hours.
2. Ty has developed a fiction that suits his self-concept of someone who only loses by 2 hours.

You the reader be the judge(although I am disappointed Mrs. Shrek that you did not accept my evidence at face value when I stated that multiple statments about this were contradictory and indeed they are). Where I stand is pretty clear.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:21:51 AM by apskip »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
I dunnoo...i think the people that were actually ON the race would know more about it then you apskip lol

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
I think it doesn't matter, we'll find more info out this week.

But sometimes racers are not the best people to know their own  leg--it is all a blur to them and until they hit the mat they never know exactly where they are in relationship to other teams. Look how surprised K/C were to hear that they were 5th.

BUT they are giving these interviews with the benefit of long hindsight and the opportunity to talk things over post race with other teams. For all we know, they may have discussed this for hours w/ D/A in Elimination station (or not!) .

So if they say 2 hours, I have to think that they may be close until we know otherwise. I did find it interesting that they were told they ran the best time on the leg.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »
You the reader be the judge(although I am disappointed Mrs. Shrek that you did not accept my evidence at face value when I stated that multiple statments about this were contradictory and indeed they are). Where I stand is pretty clear.

I'm not trying to get at you Askip. None of us were there, so everything here is based on assumption rather than fact. AJa and Ty's leg could have been shortened, they could be awful at estimating time, they could have somehow done an absolutely superb leg and did the tasks in 2ish hours, or something else that we don't know about.... :duno:
I know you have put a lot of time and research into your calculations, and I'm not saying you are wrong or right, I'm merely stating that Aja and Ty seem to be fairly stuck on the 2 hour concept. :tup:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2008, 01:30:25 AM »
Here's my best guess at the actual flights that were taken

Ken & Tina
Terence & Sara
Singapore Airlines SQ 286 leaving AKL at 12:25 pm and arriving SIN at 7:00 pm
JetStar Asia 3K 595 Leaving SIN at 6:00 am and arriving REP at 7:05 am

Kelly & Christy
Dallas & Toni
Nick & Starr
Dan & Andrew
Emirates EK 433 leaving AKL at 4:55 pm and arriving in Brisbane at 6:35 pm
Continue with Emirates EK 433 leaving Brisbane at 8:05 pm and arriving in SIN at 1:50 am
Fly Jetstar Asia 595 leaving SIN at 6:00 am and arriving in REP at 7:05 am.

Aja & Ty
Singapore Airlines SQ 282 leaving AKL at 11:55 pm and arriving SIN at 6:45 am
Silkair MI 616 Leaving SIN at 10:25 am and arriving REP at 11:35 am

or if Ty is correct when he says they landed 2 hours after the other teams then this was what they took, albeit hard to believe they could catch a 6:00 pm flight after a 3:04 pm Pit Stop release, but it is the only way I could find to get them to Siem Reap at 9 am.

Qantas QF 44 leaving AKL at 6:00 pm and arriving in Sydney at 7:30 pm
Qantas QF 1 leaving Sydney at 8:50 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 3:05 am
Bangkok Airways PG 903 leaving Bangkok at 8:00 am and arriving in Siem Reap at 9:00 am
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:35:06 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders