Author Topic: EP4:10/19 "I Wonder If They Like Blondes in New Zealand?"  (Read 98095 times)

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP4:10/19 "I Wonder If They Like Blondes in New Zealand?"
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2008, 06:12:04 AM »
Why is is so important to find out if La Paz is a extended pitstop or not? We know they go to NZ next so whats the point? Maybe you all can take this to the timeline, or the EP3 thread.

So if Kiwi stomping  is a Detour then DAndrew switched tasks?

Maybe watching Starr almost break her arm convinced them to stomp kiwis!

An alternative would be a U-turn in this episode causing the Frat boys to do the other Detour too (I think this is unlikely).

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »
I have at Kiwi360 formerly known as Kiwi Country. I loved stomping the Kiwifruit and putting the juices into the jar!

Jay,
The question is not whether kiwi stomping is done in the artificial environment of Kiwi360. It is whether kiwi fruit juice is routinely available in grocery stores all over new Zealand. Is it? It sure wasn't long ago when I had my only visit to New Zealand.

I am with puddin on this subject- "If the kiwi stomping task is true, then it's a "made for TAR' thing... how lame." unless you can tell me that grocery stores routinely carry kiwi juice products. I look forward to your answer.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2008, 08:51:53 AM »
I disagree. We know based on the Intro cap that they go to Kiwi360. If kiwi stomping is a routine option there, which it must be if our kiwi has done it there, then it is not a "made for TAR" option, right?

Whether you can buy the juice in stores would seem to have nothing to do with the availability of the chance to stomp, IMO....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline elopes

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
It would be a v. interesting twist to the race if there are U-turns in back-to-back episodes... and at the same time I think it's very plausible that the frat boys switched detours after seeing Starr's arm.  My vote is they chickened out  :funny:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
Starr & Nick are sneaky, she could have faked she was hurt to make DAndrew switch tasks. Thats something Romber would do and I compare the siblings to them, lol.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
Starr & Nick are sneaky, she could have faked she was hurt to make DAndrew switch tasks. Thats something Romber would do and I compare the siblings to them, lol.

Does the RB or Detour come first puddin? or do we not know?

Offline randomnzer

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
I have at Kiwi360 formerly known as Kiwi Country. I loved stomping the Kiwifruit and putting the juices into the jar!

Jay,
The question is not whether kiwi stomping is done in the artificial environment of Kiwi360. It is whether kiwi fruit juice is routinely available in grocery stores all over new Zealand. Is it? It sure wasn't long ago when I had my only visit to New Zealand.

I am with puddin on this subject- "If the kiwi stomping task is true, then it's a "made for TAR' thing... how lame." unless you can tell me that grocery stores routinely carry kiwi juice products. I look forward to your answer.

There are a number of smaller juice producers who routinely sell Kiwifruit juice in local supermarkets (grocery stores), cafes, restaurants and so on around New Zealand. They are usually blended with other fruits rather than being sold on its own - i.e. with cheaper juices like apple. Obviously it is processed in clean factories, rather than by using the "stomping" method. Enzafoods (http://www.enzafoods.co.nz/products/Other/Kiwifruit/) is one local producer which exports a lot of juice products offshore, predominantly to Asia.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
Are we sure that "stomping" is even a Detour?

Could it be a "do this to get your clue" task instead, which might explain seeing the frats doing both....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »

Why are you asking me  :lol:? Teams arrive at night, drive to Gulf Harbor, Phil says .............(look below, but do we believe Phil after last week?). So Roadblock first? I haven't thought about it too much, its only Tuesday. We know theres a Fast Forward as well  :sucks

Phil interview:
•Q: You're also going back to your birthplace, New Zealand, the adventure capital of the world, for the third time. What new thrills can we expect to see?
•A: New Zealanders are very proud of their indigenous Maori culture, and we were looking to get something of that in the show. We ended up having the teams search for Maori warriors on an extinct volcano (near Auckland), and it was the most magical morning when they arrived: As the sun was rising, there were these warriors doing the haka (a traditional war dance) with a magnificent rainbow over the top of the hill.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2008, 02:54:08 PM »

Could it be a "do this to get your clue" task instead, which might explain seeing the frats doing both....

That could be it ..
But I say it's a detour because the way Andrew and Dan are complaining about it it makes it sound as though they have another option that they would rather be doing...which could explain why the end up switching?

Why are you asking me  :lol:? Teams arrive at night, drive to Gulf Harbor, Phil says .............(look below, but do we believe Phil after last week?). So Roadblock first? I haven't thought about it too much, its only Tuesday. We know theres a Fast Forward as well  :sucks

Phil interview:
•Q: You're also going back to your birthplace, New Zealand, the adventure capital of the world, for the third time. What new thrills can we expect to see?
•A: New Zealanders are very proud of their indigenous Maori culture, and we were looking to get something of that in the show. We ended up having the teams search for Maori warriors on an extinct volcano (near Auckland), and it was the most magical morning when they arrived: As the sun was rising, there were these warriors doing the haka (a traditional war dance) with a magnificent rainbow over the top of the hill.

Oh, ok then I'll say the RB is first.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »

No, no we don't, lol. But this isn't TARA so I would guess its a detour but who knows? We had the random newspaper/hat thing last week so then again ??

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
guys may have already been referenced

so the FF is the skytower thingy?  and momson do it.

also reading through the notes a team misses the bus so is delayed a day.  yet they are self driving  :duno:

pinks go for the FF and miss it?

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
176 Parton Road, as mentioned by Apskip and others.

Any idea how far the blokart track is from where they stomp kiwis (?kiwi360?)?

It looks like DAndrew are putting together a blokart when Starr crashes.  If the kiwi stomp is next door, maybe they bail pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:27:27 AM by gator27 »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
FF is Skytower but unknown if it is a walk or bungy or whatever.

Where did we hear Mom /son as FF'ers please?? ???  As far as I remember, the only evidence we have of anyone doing it is the number one on the board missing, and it is unclear if that related to the actual in progress task, or the production guys fooling around at some other time beforehand.

I believe it was "missing the bus or something" similar...so bus may not be exact, IIRC.  I'll recheck tonight when I get home.

Re blokart, slowhatch gave us a map and it is VERY close to kiwi360 I think.

(Sorry, I'm at work and can't access my full info/pics here...)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
About 15 minutes away from the map that I searched gator.
Driving directions to Kiwi360
9.1 km – about 14 mins
 176 Parton RdPapamoa Beach, Bay of Plenty 3187, New Zealand

1. Head south on Parton Rd toward Bell Rd 1.7 km
2. Turn right at Bell Rd 0.7 km
3. Turn left at SH 2 5.2 km
4. Continue on Jellicoe St 1.4 km
5. Turn right at Cameron Rd 0.2 km
 Kiwi360
State Highway 2Te Puke, New Zealand, New Zealand

and Patlini, the mom/son taking the Fast Forward is my guess but I like your thoughts.

eta: if Papamoa is the pitstop its right there, by the Detours so yeah perhaps Roadblock then Detours.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
I don't even know why I was asking about the order rb/detours lol...

It could be a "make your way on foot to the pitstop" once they complete the detours puddin...

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
its not as close as you think Michael (using the Mt as a referrence point only, that is not the pitstop)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:27:29 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
from One Tree Hill to Mt Maunganui (using the Mt as a referrence point only, that is not the pitstop)

under 3 hours by car

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:03:11 PM by puddin »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
lol, ok nvm....no making their way on foot then  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »
I'm on my laptop Michael and all my good junk is on the desktop, I'll try to do a better map later although I am not a map person so if someone wants a go at it please do.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
I asked my parents who have lived in Tauranga for a combined amount of 77 yrs. They have told me that they believe the photo of Phil and his father are indeed atop the Papamoa hills!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline sayurkangkung

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:08 AM »
Found this in Kiwilowes.blogspot.com

Is that the same ?

Here is another one, from Flickr

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:39 AM »
I'm on my laptop Michael and all my good junk is on the desktop, I'll try to do a better map later although I am not a map person so if someone wants a go at it please do.

puddin, I am a map person and will see what I can do. However, the map you provided tells everything that's needed except the distances. I can't find one with distances, so here is a slightly different version of the map you provided:
New Zealand North Island Map

I can center the map on the part west and north from Tauranga but that is not the way it comes(although the resolution is good the way it comes). You have to manually take the control up about 6 times until you are have Hamilton on your view. Then you pan east once until Tauranga is on the right edge.

What that shows is two routes for getting from the Auckland area to Tauranga. The one you showed is:
route 1 south to
route 2 east
after a small distance 2 turns left and route 27 begins
follow route 27 to Matamata and take route 24 there(it cuts the corner)
take route 29 north from its beginning out of route 24 and follow 29 into Tauranga

A probably better alternate(we would need a native such as Kiwijay's parents to say; I will ask my brother-in-law) is:
Continue route 2 east until it turns southeast and then east all the way to Tauranga (and further to Te Puke).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:46:08 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
The New Zealand MAPS! are updated...

Both the GE map and the Interactive Map of the Bay of Plenty have distances, in case that helps.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
I have carefully listened to the 1 minute CBS preview of episode 4. Kan clearly states that they are driving a marked car to "Gulf Harbour". It took a long time to find out where that is(near Whangaparoa, Bay of Whales) but here is the dirving direction(north):

Gulf Harbour, close to many
wonderful beaches, just 15 minutes from Orewa,
25 minutes from North Shore City and
35 minutes North of Auckland City.

So I believe that the Maori event may not be on a volcano near Auckland but is near Gulf Harbor.

I will work more to get more specific directions from Auckland International Airport