Author Topic: TARA 3 - Episode 3 Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****  (Read 25257 times)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARA 3 - Episode 3 Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »
Good job with the recap, Calvin.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
 :angel:  about time we moved the leg 4 preview spoiling/speculation to The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation thread ?   :jam:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
Sure! I can move stuff later if we need to...

You have stuff to post, Boingo! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
So, where where they when we saw the pink outfits behind the counter?
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »
I have done some simple factorial math to determine the dimensions of a trial and error approach that Natalie could have used to solve the order of the 7 coins. There were 7! = 5040 different orders possible. To have a 50% probability of success, this would have required 2520 tries. At one each 10 seconds(my guess at the time required to reset the order and have it judged), that would take 25,200 seconds or about 8 hours to reach the half-way point if she did not solve it along the way. Compared to the 4 hour penalty the penalty appears to be a good choice.

However, that is only true if you assume that Natalie is so bad in logic and writing things down that she cannot carry the simple (at least after finding out exactly what the requirement is) task of correct ordering. After knowing that it was based on the time span of the reign of each of the 7 monarchs, how hard could it be to go back and get the right information that she needed? Perhaps the fatigue over the race got to her and perhaps she just decided to underperform enough to be eliminated. One other thought is that Natalie may have been betting on the approximately 38% chance (based on 5 remaining elimination legs and 3 NELs that episode 3 would be non-elimination. However, Michael McKay has clearly been interfacing a lot with Bertram van Munster and one result is that ARA3 has opened with multiple elimination legs. That cuts the costs for the staff covering teams when they go to sequester where only one camera/sound crew is really needed.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
Ticket counter at the Saigon bus station, lol...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »
Now that I've seen this episode, I'm glad to see Natalie out of this race. She didn't do anything. Pailin was a very good racer, but her partner did not do a damn thing for this team in the second and third legs. I had some high hopes for them after the first leg, but Natalie shut down in the Bangkok Airport. I just shake my head.

In regards to Geoff, he didn't seem that bad after the last episode, but the intervention by Tania and Bernie might have opened Tish's eyes. Maybe his cry after this leg will change him like Ronald in TAR12. We'll see.

I love Henry & Bernie, AD & Fuzzie and Ida & Tania. Vince & Sam look like a fun team as well. But I'm not so in love with Niroo & Kapil, Geoff & Tisha and Oliver & Mai. I'm happy to see another trip to Taiwan. Hopefully, TARA will not label Taiwan as "China" like TAR did last season. And Taiwan in that time of year is quite humid like Vietnam. We'll see if more teams wilt under the pressure.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »
I feel so sorry for Pailin--she did a fabulous job and could have gone so much further with a different partner. Kudus to her!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
yeah my thoughts are the same on Pailin. She has the competitiveness that makes a good racer. Just not lucky with her partner.

how bout oliver doing a good job carrying their team? Mai thought king's ransom involves suicide or something like that. hahaha.
Read my recaps on The Amazing Race Asia after each episode.

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 03:10:04 AM »
I think everyone feels the same way about the BQ ll(as TARFan Asia calls them). We all felt sorry for Pailin and wished she could have kicked some ass, whereas with Natalie, I prefer not to comment on the negatives. I even told her that on facebook, so I hope she gets the love and respect she deserves. :tup:

Offline Anthonyctf

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:17 AM »
The Preview of Next Episode
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6vgi1_preview4_travel

I don't know how to paste the video anybody help me? :'(

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Thanks Anthony! I meant to do that yesterday myself and forgot, so thanks.

We are now talking about  the spec for next week in the main spoiler thread, and it is up over there too.

Here is the embed trick though for next time:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17621.msg353240.html#msg353240
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
I sent Shirley (our ever so helpful blogger for this episode) a thank you with some viewing info and asked if we might see her on the bridge. In case you were looking for her like I was--she replied in part:

I enjoyed watching them too, it brings me back to the time I saw them there. Unfortunately, they cut me out completely!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline bangun

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »
I'm a new member, so maybe I've overlooked something, but is there a thread that focuses ONLY on the episode in the topic?

I don't want to be spoiled at all, and if like half the posts in the specific episode thread deal with what the next location will be and what the next challenge will be, while being not offical statements, count as spoiler for me. According to the rules that should take place in the general spoiler/speculation thread, but is obviously not the case (and rarely has been in the others threads either).

an okay episode, and they even found a halfway decent way to incorporate that obnoxious product placement. The beauty queens were rightfully eliminated, refusing to complete a task that wasn't even physically demanding or relied on pure luck was just lame.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
Hi bangun and welcome!

You have a good point.

We do recommend that everyone who does not want to be spoiled should stay out  of this thread until they see the episode, which would obviously mean you have also seen the preview.  But you are correct in saying that the discussion of that preview should take place in the spoiler thread, and we'll try to do better next week. We got a little excited I think!  :lol:

We are trying to be careful that the eliminated team is not revealed anywhere EXCEPT in the episode thread until Sunday 10AM Singapore time= Sat 10PM EST for those of us in the US. But the location of the next stop is something most of us here know and want confirmation of, so I haven't been very vigilant about that.

SO starting next week we will attempt to keep preview/location discussion in the spoiler thread and I will post a reminder to that effect. I unfortunately cannot be here myself every week (darn work)  while the show is airing and we are live blogging, so you may need to give me some time to be absolutely sure any lapses get moved.  (I would think by 10PM of the aired day for sure).  Hope that helps!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 03:18:47 AM »
VERY interesting comment from the AXN boards: (Question to Michael McKay)

1 day ago, KenshinAsuka says:   

Sir, I have a question here. Well, I just knew that my Vietnamese friends saw almost nothing about the third leg since it was the Vietnamese cable operator that censored almost everything just because the third leg happened to feature something negative about Vietnam and probably the leg itself so did you and the rest of the production crew speak to the Vietnamese government before filming everything there?

???

wonder what was perceived as negative?

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
The only thing I can think of is the racers having trouble with the cyclos, but I have to watch the episode again.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline bikermama

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »
A lot of Asian nations are notoriously sensitive about their image. Anything that's not picture-perfect, no matter how commonplace, is a no-no.

So the censors were probably instructed not to show anything that may be conceived as primitive or uber-3rd world...say, the run-down buses. Or perhaps they were offended by the racers' reaction to Vietnam, like how everyone thought a 25-hour bus ride was crazy, or how Geoff and Kapil treated the locals.

Even something as inane as Natalie's disgust at her state of "uncleanliness" could be misinterpreted  as "Miss Universe feels dirty because this whole country is dirty."

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 11:09:25 PM »
Natalie of BQII has written her version of events in the Window Spaces site where the racers are supposed to chat when they get eliminated. Unfortunately, she was not able to so she wrote down her thoughts. I will include this in my recap (whenever it gets done).

Dear friends!

Well, my amazing race journey has come to an end. And I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some of the reality that has actually happened in the 3 episodes, as well as my thoughts and feelings. I tried to chat to a few of you last Friday (26 Sept) but there were some problems with the chat engine, so I couldn't say everything I wanted to.

When Pailin and I signed up for this race, as with thousands of other applicants, our intention was to win. It wasn't at all for the prize money or fame. Besides a personal challenge, we both wanted to do something extraordinary. And extraordinary it was - for a multitude of reasons.

Perhaps what I have learned most, is that friendship is not to be taken for granted. Friendship is based upon two people respecting, supporting and trusting each other. I felt that during the race our friendship was tested. And I know from other friends who have been put in similar situations, that friendships become stronger in the long run after a stressful period.

What I'd really like to do in this blog, is try and explain to my friends and everyone who watched us on the Amazing Race Asia, my side of the story, which you didn't see. I will be completely open and honest with my thoughts, in that like every other human being I have said or done things in the heat of the moment that I have regretted.

So here goes...

From the beginning of the race, both Pailin and I were completely pumped up for the race, ready to take on any challenge that faced us. Before the race, we sat down together to watch previous seasons of the show to get ourselves ready and mentally prepared. When the race started, we set off with really high expectations of our team. We ate the bugs (and no, they don’t taste like chicken!), cleaned a huge bus and generally did a great job in the first leg. It was a huge surprise to us how tough this turned out to be. I really would've never guessed, and I do feel that I have hugely underestimated the toughness of this season. Nevertheless, we did come in 4th place and were both very pleased with that. Lesson learned? Don't wear make-up when washing buses :)

At the start of the second leg, after a much needed shower and rest time, we set off again in really high spirits. We did the Flight of the Gibbons, which was very cool, and the first road block, where Pailin really proved to be "steady under fire" ;). Then we were off to the airport, at which point luck was not on our side. Sadly, we had to spend the night at Suvarnabumi airport in Bangkok, which happened to be literally 10 minutes away from my house. I knew that my husband of 6 months was within minutes of me, and I couldn't see or talk to him. At the same time I knew that others had a head start on us, through no fault of our own, and that made us both upset and frustrated. On top of all of that, I had a medical condition that made it all that much harder to bear sleeping on a cold airport floor. Believe me when I say, I had no issue sleeping at the airport or even the street for that matter. Ironically just a few months before this, I had to sleep at the Ho Chi Minh city airport because of a missed connection. So to everyone who thought I was crying because I didn't have a fluffy bed, it was not the reason.

Now I really need to address the comment that I made (and now wish I hadn't) but it was completely out of context to reality. Let me explain please. It was the now-infamous line "I feel like being dirty is the lowest form of human existence." What I was referring to, was myself in that moment in time. We hadn't showered or even brushed our teeth for more than 30 hours, and in all honesty I was feeling grubby and disgusting. However, I understand that some people might have misunderstood me, for which I'm sorry.

We concluded this leg in 7th position and were relieved to find out we were still in the race!

The start of episode 3 saw all of us embark on a jaw-rattling, bone-shaking, excruciating 25-hour bus ride to Hue. As much as Pailin and I tried to sleep it was nearly impossible. And I think both of us collectively slept less than an hour on that trip. So you can imagine getting out of the bus at the end of the journey, and facing a challenge in a 35 degree C heat.

At this point, what you would have seen on TV was Pailin changing the wheels, and I wish they had shown me, under the jeep changing the oil, and getting splattered with it. Pailin and I worked equally hard on changing the wheels and the oil.

The impression given was that this was a turning point in our relationship between Pailin and me. I need to say, it wasn't, and we were perfectly OK heading to our next challenge.

Then we came to the next road block, which I volunteered to do, given that Pailin did the last one. As was evidenced in the airing of episode 3, it was an extremely difficult challenge. I wasn’t the only one who was having problems – anyone who watched the show would have seen that.

It was easily over 40 degrees by that time, and I had been in the sun for more than 2 hours, going back and forth between the park and the tomb to get the correct sequence of the coins. I had to put on a sweater since I burn easily in the sun, and I felt that I was very close to a heat exhaustion and serious dehydration. I also knew that poor Pailin was waiting for more than 2 hours for me to finish and was also very tired. At that point I already knew that we were the last team, so I had to make a conscious decision. One was to persevere and risk spending more precious time getting it right and for sure coming in last, or taking a hit on a 4 hour penalty, but giving us the opportunity not to come in last. And I feel absolutely certain that had I continued with the challenge, I would have passed out and probably needed immediate medical assistance. Believe me, I felt that bad!

This decision about not completing the challenge was taken with the best intentions to give Pailin and I a chance to continue to the next round. It had nothing to do with being selfish, as some have alluded to.

I do, however, feel that I have let Pailin down, and I wish I could have been stronger for her on that challenge.

So this was the end of the road on the race for us.

Can I also add that every single one of those competitors that you've seen in series 3 of the Amazing Race Asia, are wonderful, down-to-earth people. But unfortunately, you – the viewer – didn’t get to see behind the scenes, so you didn’t get the same opportunity to meet and know them like I did. And I’m kind of sad to see so many negative comments about my fellow racers. We all entertained you in one shape or another – be happy with that :)

All in all, this was an incredible privilege to have met so many wonderful people - competitors, locals, and the production team. It's been a humbling experience.

All my love,

Natalie

http://amazingraceasia.spaces.live.com/
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »
It was nice of Natalie to explain things from her persepctive. However, her quitting the coins roadblock was not the problem for he team. It was her inability to "get it right the first time" and "get it right the second time". Not getting it right the first time was understandable and I don't think she was unique. Many teams shared information, but Natalie and Pailin were there late and did not get the opportunity to benefit from those exchanges. Going back and not having carefully noted the date information on paper was the "last straw" because when that happened they were already in last place. The taking the 4 hour non-completion-penalty was superfluous. The only thing that could save them was a NEL, which as we know did not happen.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »

http://www.alivenotdead.com/allanwu

They burn the field instead of mowing the lawn.  :funny: I'm the worst farmer in the world.  :lol: