Author Topic: TARA 3 - Episode 3 Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****  (Read 25317 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TARA 3 - Episode 3 Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »
This thread is for discussion of Episode 3 and can be posted in immediately when  the show begins airing at AXN, based on Singapore time. That will be Thusday 9/25 at 9 PM Singapore time, or Thursday at 9 AM EST for those of us in the US.

Please read the posting guidelines HERE    BEFORE you post in this thread please.

Those who will have not seen the show yet will need to ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! There will be spoilers about who won, and who was eliminated for sure, and other details about the leg.

Many, many THANKS to our live updaters, uploaders, and recappers who are making the wait bearable for those of us not able to see the show live!  :yourock: :yourock: :yourock:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:16:00 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TARA 3 - Episode 3 Discussion Thread ****HOT spoilers--beware!****
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:03:14 PM »
From Episode 2:

So the final order of finish:

1. Henry & Bernie - Winners of a year's supply of petrol from Caltex
2. AD & Fuzzie
3. Vince & Sam
4. Niroo & Kapil
5. Geoff & Tish
6. Ida & Tania
7. Natalie & Pailin
8. Mai & Oliver - all the way down from 1st

What happens next?? Here's our best guess:

Teams leave in the order above, there may be an additional task in Saigon, or not... :lol:

The first group of teams can possibly leave as soon as 6-7 AM, while the last 2 may not be released until close to 12N.

Bunching occurs when the teams are instructed to travel by train to HUE, Vietnam.

The SN6 takes about 19 hours, and the TN4 just under 24 hours.

The first teams will take the SN6 ?

The second group will need to take TN4?

Reaction??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What we knew before, thanks to puddin:

anticipating LEG 3 here ... :popcorn:

Here you can see the American version The Amazing Race season 3 Vietnam Episode video thanks to creatv , Ho Chi Minh to Hue.

Hue~
blog~

(This entry was posted on June 1, 2008 at 9:47 am)

I went to the Citadel that afternoon since I have time. Went into the Imperial City. It was so-so, perhaps because I have no guide, perhaps I should have studied harder when we were studying Chinese influence in Vietnam then, anyhow, I saw Allan Wu. Then I realized that they were filming a leg of the Amazing Race Asia there. Haha. I walked past him nonchalantly. He’s no Takeshi Kaneshiro.
A team asked me for direction. I told them a very general direction. I hope they didn’t get lost, otherwise I would always be that cursed Asian tourist. Haha.

As promised, here is the picture taken by Shirley. Thanks Shirley.

Here is the new time for the bridge shot (new calculation needed due to source shot being inverted):

This shot was taken between 2:52 and 3:21 pm (assumes May 25th).

Although it is covered by a cloud, this is a Panoramio shot that has been pinned to this location.  See how the lamp posts are the same.   :tup:

Shirley, our delightful blogger from Hue, has responded to JonLover's and my questions in a joint email  :lol:--we both seem to have asked her lots of questions about the teams she saw...so hope it's okay if I share this reply!

From JonLover's previous post:

It was 25 May. It was about late 2pm to 3pm. I remember I was starving then.

I saw Allan Wu and his crew in the imperial palace. After I left the imperial palace, right outside the gate, I saw a Caucasian pair, (they are quite big) running towards the imperial palace. Included a bald, clean shaven Caucasian, now thought to be Geoff/Tisha

Following behind them were two ladies, they are quite big, carrying their backpacks. I was carrying a bottle of water, and she asked if that was hers. photo ID'd as AD/Fuzzie

The third team I saw (I think, I can't remember with the time lapse) was cycling/riding a cyclo (a traditional mode of transportation in Vietnam). They had to ride the cyclo to the destination I think. I saw them hold a TARA slip, possibly the clue. These teams were quite close to each other. two women, unable to ID them by pics

Then as I was walking across the Perfume River, I saw another team. I was quite tickled so I stopped to take a picture. That's the only picture I took. It was actually the guy cycling/riding the cyclo, but he stopped where I was to change with the girl. That's the team who asked me for direction. I pointed them to the flag of the Citadel (which was the general direction they were headed for). There was a cyclo driver/rider behind them. He looked at me and we laughed together, tickled by the fact that 'tourists' were riding the cyclo. This team is quite a distance from the rest. Say, about 1km or so. Mai/Oliver

It's quite easy to spot the teams. There's always a slow-moving jeep/4WD following and filming behind them.
As I was walking away from their destination, I saw another jeep/4WD. But I didn't see any participants with them.

I've attached the photo I took. Hope it's of some interest.

Shirley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to put a number for reference to the teams she saw--and this is what she replied about each team:

Team 1: "I saw a Caucasian pair, (they are quite big) running towards the imperial palace."

The first pair I saw, I vaguely remember a bald/clean-shaven Caucasian man. I can't remember his companion.

Though I can't remember much of the first team,

Team 2: "two ladies, they are quite big, carrying their backpacks"

The second pair I saw was 2 ladies. One of them has curly short hair

Team 3: "The third team I saw (I think, I can't remember with the time lapse) was cycling/riding a cyclo" "had a slip"

The slip, if I don't remember wrongly is yellow.

the third team or rather the team I saw with the slip and riding the cyclo was made up of two women. I don't remember seeing many Asians that day, possibly the 2nd team of 2 women carrying their backpacks, had an Asian. I remember the lady asking me for water is quite big-sized, I am not quite sure of her companion right now.

Team 4: The ones in the photo that she gave directions to...

And more answers about where the teams were and re Allen Wu and where/what he was doing:

The first three teams I saw was rather close to each other. The first and second teams were on foot already when I saw them, possibly about 200-300m away only. The one that I saw third on the cyclo was further away. Possibly 500m away from the second.

The team that asked me for direction, the lady in the team asked, "do you know where is the imperial palace?" The imperial palace is just across a small road from the citadel where there is a Vietnam flag. So I pointed to the flag and told them to head that way.

Allan Wu was talking to some of his crew while others were setting up the equipment. They had lotsa packed food there. And they travelled in pretty nice vehicles for a country like Vietnam. Can't remember the make of the cars but they looked pretty big.

There was no mat there when I was there. It could be because they were still setting up. But I didn't see anything that looked like it's a mat.
And:
No, I didn't see any pit stop mat, or any mats on the floor for that matter.

I sent her this photo and  a few others but none of mine looked familiar to her  :'(

I am sorry I can't quite recognize any of the people in the picture.

But she did say:
The one in the yellow box could be the 2nd team I saw. I cannot confirm, so sorry about that.

Perhaps JonLover knows which photo this might be?? :duno:

Many thanks to Shirley for her time and generosity in sharing!  :thankyou:

Peach, this is the picture I sent to Shirley. She's referring to the girl in green scarf or bandana.

I also sent her pictures of rumoured racers like Natalie Glebova and Miss India Sindhura Gadde; and the lady in a flickr picture taken in Hong Kong (http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.125.html) but she could not recognize them as well.

Just when you think there are no more spoilers  :sucks
May 25, 2008 (data:DateTime : 2008:05:25 15:53:22 )

The Amazing Race being shot at the imperial city. That chick took herself mad seriously.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preview: thanks to puddin:

[/quote]

--------------------------------------------
Stealing puddin's map :lol:

Possible route?

Arrive Hue train station
Pedal cyclo across Perfume River to Imperial Palace

Take local bus to Emperor Khai Dinh's tomb (Roadblock)

----------------------------------------------
Not everyone pedals smoothly:

-------------------------------------------

Puddin finds this:

Could also be Hai Ba Trung High School/ Dong Khanh

----------------------------------------------------
Fuzzie is overcome by the heat:

This is within the Citadel (from what I remember of Vietnam at least). Why so tired? More searching the grounds?

Heat stroke? Dehydration? IIRC, Fuzizie asked Shirley (our blogger) if she had any water... [/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teams do a roadblock:

:jumpy:  Found it.  They're at Emperor Khai Dinh's tomb in Hue, Vietnam.

Maybe with a GPS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
And most likely use dragon boats to either go to or from the Tomb: posted first by puddin on 9/20:

Not a spoiler, more like a wish, that they use the dragon boats

You might get your wish puddin!!

Look here:

http://www.igougo.com/attractions-reviews-b102752-Hue-Dragon_Boat_Trip_on_the_Perfume_River.html

Tours depart at 8am from the main wharf and return at about 4pm. There are numerous identical Dragon boats that all depart at the same time. You can be picked up from your hotel for no additional charge.
The trip visits Linh Mu (Thien Mu) pagoda, Hon Chen Temple, Tu Duc Tomb, Minh Mang Tomb and Khai Dinh Tomb spending between 45 minutes and an hour at each stop. This is definately not enough time for a true temple junkie but it is a good way to get your bearings as to the historical sites in Hue.

Both Tu Duc and Khai Dinh tombs require a moto-taxi once you get there, and the drivers are quite notorious for doubling the negotiated price for the return trip. Each site has an entry fee of between AU$1.50 and $4. Having paid $2 for the boat trip is hardly cause for complaint. A basic cooked lunch is included in the price with the option of paying for extra dishes. The boat itself is basically a decoratively covered barge with plastic garden chairs there is no commentary or guides at the sites.

and here:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Vietnam/Tinh_Thua_Thien_Hue/Hue-1481131/Transportation-Hue-BR-1.html

A dragon boat cruise down the Perfume River is the best way to see the imperial palaces, tombs and temples of Hue. It costs just 25,000 VND for an all-day cruise, starting at 8am and returning at 3pm.

A minibus will collect you from your hotel and take you to the landing stage. This is included in the price, as is a simple lunch and drink. Entrance fees are not included. Also, you will need to pay extra for a motorbike taxi to take you to any site that is not close to the river.

The route takes in Thien Mu Pagoda, Tu Duc Tomb, Hon Chen Temple, Khai Dinh Tomb and Minh Mang Tomb. The boat will drop you at the the Citadel at the end of the cruise, if you request it.

You can buy a ticket at any travel agency in Hue, including Sinh Cafe

so we still see two kinds of buses--a local city bus and another....where are they coming from/ going to?

[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buses are involved, where is not clear... 

Perhaps bus TO the Tomb? Or are they going on to one further location>. perhaps Danang or China Beach as was done in TAR3??

And is this a long distance or a local bus with the flat?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHat is this:

Pitstop? Yield?  :duno:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confessional:

Hope they aren't toast here...

---------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:39:36 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:45:50 AM »
can't wait for episode 3 to start. 15 minutes left. Watching keith barry at the moment on AXN. :)
Read my recaps on The Amazing Race Asia after each episode.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 08:06:06 AM »
Morning!! Can't wait either! :happy:

PLEASE tell me they take a train, lol!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »
those bus were the ones they took to HUE... 25 hour trip. woot! 4 buses.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 08:16:48 AM »
Buses!!! Oh my!
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
NO TRAIN??? :'(  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:47:07 AM »
What happened to jonnal and beyondbreak?
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
Okay I'll try to piece together what I am seeing at AXN:  thanks to the live updaters there!

Buses to Hue
Bus 1 has a flat
teams arrive Hue and go to a Caltex service station H of Op
choose a jeep w/ a driver
change tire
Sam and Vince in the lead
Khai Dinh Tomb
Niroo & Kapil team no 2
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »
RB place coins in correct order

if wrong --go back to Emperor Minh Mang tomb (???)

Geoff not popular

Detour Sticks or Stalks

Henry first--helps Vince

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
Henry & Bernie team no 1, going to Quoc Hoc Park

Nat and Pailin QUIT the roadblock!!!!

cyclos

falls

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 09:02:59 AM »
writing my recap now. hope i'll be able to finish it within the hour. henry and bernie were amazing!

Offline bikermama

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:21 AM »
Henry and Bernie are first again.
Natalie and Pailin are eliminated.
And all of you made Geoff cry...boo-hoo!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:47 AM »
Pitstop order:

10 Henry/ Bernie
2) Sam/Vince
3) Ida/ Tania
4) AD/Fuzzie

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »
5. Tisha and Geoff
6. Mai and Oliver
7. Niroo and Kapil

BQ's ELIMINATED
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 09:10:31 AM »
:welcome2: bikermama!! Thank you SO MUCH! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 09:12:02 AM »
And all of you made Geoff cry...boo-hoo!
Can you elaborate, bikermama?
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »
Niroo is the father, Neobie. :)
Just here to visit.

Offline EagleSpirit0

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
If you can get the Chinese characters, I can understand Chinese.

Ugggh at activation e-mail, I was going to come and tell you that they did not take a train from Saigon to Hue .... the train ride lasts about 20-22 hours on the fast trains and much longer on the slow trains.  The trains in Vietnam are wonderful though (well, as long as you don't have a drunk Vietnamese guy snoring to you, which has happened a lot to me -_-)

Long time fan of the show .... am an American citizen that has lived in Bangkok since I was a baby and go to unnie in the states now.  Very glad Pailin and Natalie were eliminated, Natalie especially was cringeworthy representing my 'adopted' country.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 10:30:39 AM »
:welcome: EagleSpiritO--we will be glad of your help!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
Putting it together from earlier:
Departures:

Henry Bernie 5AM

Travel to Hue
search bus station for next clue

AD/Fuzzie 535AM

Vince Sam 540AM

Niroo-Kapil 602

Geoff-Tisha 635AM

Ida/Tania 708AM

Natalie/Palin 1130AM

Mai/Oliver 1138AM

Bus 1: henry/bernie, Niroo/Kapil,

Bus 2 Vince/Sam, AD/Fuzzie, Geoff/Tisha

Bus 3 Ida/Tania

Bus 4? Nat/Pailin, Mai/Oliver

Bus 1 has a flat but I think still arrives first
Bus 2 also has a problem?
Bus 3 arrives second?

Go to Caltex and change a tire>>hours of op  teams bunch
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »
 :lol:  BTW, where exactly was the pitstop in the Hue leg?   And where exactly did they ride the cyclos to/from?  Thanks.   :hugs:

Offline bikermama

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 10:50:37 AM »
Well, I'd hate to spoil Calvin's fun, so he can do the nitty gritty on locations and clues, while I focus on the editorializing. In a nutshell:

The teams are forced to take a 25-hour bus ride from HCM to Hue. Despite the first bus getting a flat, it still manages to arrive in Hue ahead. The first task is the changing of tires and oil at Caltex. Henry & Bernie take the lead, but leave on a jeep with a faulty alternator. So at each stop (and there are several!), they need to jumpstart their vehicle.

They go to a park (sorry, am bad at names and places) where they must collect 7 brass disks and information about 7 Viet emperors. Only thing is most of the racers are so caught up in getting the disks that they forget to gather information.

This shortsightedness cost Neero/Kapil and both Thai teams big time, because when they return to cluebox, they must arrange the disks in order of the emperors' reigns. The first set of teams actually start paying each other forward, by sharing the correct answer, but somewhere along the way, the chain of favors breaks. This leaves Natalie so frustrated that she defaults on the challenge (knowing that her team is last and must suffer a four-hour penalty).

Anyway, this half of the leg is so tedious that the some of the racers actually find time to tell Tish to get her boyfriend fixed (or else).

Next, the racers choose between threshing of rice and rolling of incense sticks. All but Geoff and Tish pursue the incense sticks. Geoff, being impatient as usual, gives up and drags his girlfriend to rice field. Luckily for him, the last 3 teams (the Thai teams and Niroo/Kapil) are so far behind, his change of heart doesn't do his team much harm.

After the break, the racers are directed to take rickshaws--or cyclos, as they're called--to the pitstop. In a fit of overthinking, Henry/Bernie, Vince/Sam, Ida/Tania, and AD/Fuzzie completely miss the clues, which sit right on top of the vehicles.

As we've all seen in the previews, everyone sucks on cyclos. Except maybe for Geoff & Tish, whose ride is so uneventful, it's barely even shown. Henry/Bernie do take a nasty spill, but to their credit, they get back on the saddle and pedal to First Place.

As for the rest of the teams, you've seen the ranking. Fuzzie could have gotten her team in a better position, had she not taken a breather before walking to the Pit Stop--although I recall AZ doing most of the cyclo-driving.

Anyway, Natalie and Pailin arrive last. Queen Nat, perhaps thinking that this leg would be a NEL and that a 4-hour penalty would not be fatal, realizes her mistake and is sent home.

So there. All in all, Henry/Bernie and Vince/Sam seem to be the Team Marvil and The Boyfriends of Season 3. Bernie gets teary-eyed with relief, proving that Henry does not own the monopoly on tear ducts. Also: Geoff finally cracks under the pressure he has brought on himself and allows himself a "manly" cry (as opposed to a Henry-type sobbing).

Lastly, if I made a mistake by putting my recap here, Ms. Peach, feel free to move this to the right thread.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:21:27 AM by bikermama »

Offline calv_10

• RFF Jr. Member
    • Calvin's Hub
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
way to go bikermama. it took me longer than expected write mine up.

if you guys are looking for a longer version than that of biker, here's my post:
http://www.calvinshub.com/2008/09/26/the-amazing-race-asia-3-episode-3/

G'night everyone!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Thank you calvin as always! :kuss:

That is perfect bikermama!! Thanks! :hugs:
RFF's Golden Rule: