Author Topic: unprecedented mistake  (Read 35346 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
unprecedented mistake
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
Let split this off into its own thread so we can speculate ..


BVM interview:
Quote

• The youngest team is a tandem of two guys in their early 20s. “They’re made for television,” Van Munster says. “They’re supersmart — and they make terrible mistakes.”

 


AP article:
Quote
  Van Munster, who is currently scouting locations in Asia for the 14th season, promised the 13th season will include a series of firsts for the reality competition, including a mistake that ultimately prohibited one team from joining their fellow racers at the finish line, as well as a memorable first-ever stop for "The Amazing Race" in Cambodia.


 


CBS About:
Quote
The 13th installment of THE AMAZING RACE will feature a variety of firsts, including: Teams traveling to a real-life water world where its inhabitants live upon a floating city; first time visits for the Race to locations such as Cambodia and Kazakhstan; and one Team makes an unprecedented mistake on the road that ultimately prohibits them from joining their fellow Racers at the finish line.


 



ok, party's over - unwinding here! just remembered that i saw phil on NBC Extra yesterday being interviewing in his home office - just briefly - but i do remember one significant thing he said which i don't think has been mentioned here before -  he said " one team lost some important documentation and some valuables that was ultimately detrimental to their situation in the race, not good not good at all", and then "we make sure everybody gets home safe and sound".

so i'm not so sure about the portland mixup scenario anymore, seems like one team lost (left somewhere or had it stolen) their fanny pack with all their clues and their passports + credit card etc and that's why they don't make it to the final 3.

finally a good quote "New places and new faces make for Amazing Races"!!

I do have this clip on my DVR but not sure how complicated it would be to get it online from there...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:42:40 PM by puddin »


Offline michael

  • The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5811
    • Facebook Profile
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
that is so vauge!
it can be something completley random like: One team who has already been eliminated gets arrested and cant cheer for the f3.... doubtful lol, so Ill go with -- a guido type error where they fall so far behind that they dont even make it to the finish mat.

Offline Chateau d If

  • Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 4589
  • Missing Apskip :(
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:55:35 PM »
Maybe they have a car accident in a country where circumstances of seriousness and fault might lead to mandatory jail time!
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline michael

  • The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5811
    • Facebook Profile
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
Maybe they have a car accident in a country where circumstances of seriousness and fault might lead to mandatory jail time!

jinx

Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
a guido type error has happened before though,  my first thought was that it was a team in the final 3 but now I really don't know what to make of it? cheating at something, breaking a rule, and getting caught and getting thrown out?


Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
I remember like for one instance the dude that flew with the teams to India wrote that a couple asked him for his travel book and when asked why they said they were on a ..

well here, is this something that TPTB would frown on? just thinking ;

On the flight I met the cast and crew of next falls "Amazing Race." You give one couple your guidebook after being told that they and the camera crew are filming a travel documentary. One cameraman says it' s just a pilot and will probably come out on Discovery Channel. But when you go to hand your book to the gentleman and you ask him more about what the specific theme or title of the documentary is, he responds by putting on a cautious and direct face then points at a small black travel bag with orange and yellow stripes down the middle. I shrug my shoulders saying, "i don't know what that is." He then discreetly opens the top zipper and pulls out a black and yellow ticket just enough for me to make out the large bold letters that spell "Race" and I got it. He shook his head knowingly and we winked at each other and I returned to my seat. It all made sense then

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/sonicbridges/1/1210064700/tpod.html

Offline Boingo

  • Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 2089
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
 :angel:  Just taking the words at face value "makes an unprecedented mistake on the road that ultimately prohibits them from joining their fellow Racers at the finish line", can mean that a non-eliminated team made a mistake, got eliminated, and couldn't even get back to greet the winners at the finish line (in Portland).  Or maybe not.   :duno:  Or BVM is playing with words...AGAIN!   :pull

Offline TARAsia Fan

  • TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8790
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »
I say the Communists ate them.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
I posted this in the speculation thread .. just adding more to my theory that the team that made the mistake maybe Superbad but I hope not, I like them.
 

sightings in Portland

I always thought the time of day that Superbad was spotted was odd compared to the other team sightings. Noon to 4 ish for most other teams as noted by eye witnesses

I'm pleased to report that I saw a male-male team in downtown Portland 
this evening (peach: that would be 5/14) at about 6:00 local time. A cameraman and a sound man 
were following them.

Offline Zack.

  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 1269
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »
Could it be that someone goes to the wrong Portland? (Maine instead of Oregon)


Offline TARAsia Fan

  • TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8790
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:24:03 AM »
There are a few Portlands in the US. That's a good guess that they went to Maine instead of Oregon.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:51:19 AM »
That would be so wrong! lol

Offline TARAsia Fan

  • TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8790
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
But so funny!
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

  • Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 6201
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:58 AM »
I have looked at this for quite a while now; the conclusion I draw is that van Munster has created a mountain out of a molehole. There are 11 teams that are due to show up for the Finish Line. Only 3 of them are still competing. I see a 8/11 = 73% probability that the only impact of this unprecedented mistake is that one of the already-eliminated teams is not present at the Finish Line. There is a 27% chance that one of the three Finalist teams is impacted, which would have the result of being only two teams able to compete for the Finish Line.

So, I think this is a classic misdirect play by van Munster.

Offline gingerman28

  • Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 2015
  • GMan
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »
I have looked at this for quite a while now; the conclusion I draw is that van Munster has created a mountain out of a molehole. There are 11 teams that are due to show up for the Finish Line. Only 3 of them are still competing. I see a 8/11 = 73% probability that the only impact of this unprecedented mistake is that one of the already-eliminated teams is not present at the Finish Line. There is a 27% chance that one of the three Finalist teams is impacted, which would have the result of being only two teams able to compete for the Finish Line.

So, I think this is a classic misdirect play by van Munster.

I can't agree with you apskip.  All of the sequestered teams are kept together and led by the nose to wherever they have to go and whatever they have to do.  No free loaders here.  Even the last several eliminated teams are kept under wraps by production people (what the heck are interns for anyway).  So I think it is a 100% probability that all eight eliminated teams will be brought screaming, lock, stock and barrel to the final mat in Portland.

The idea that one team gets a plane from Frankfurt to Portland Maine (via Boston) is a very real possibility and would be a real, old fashioned, hoot.

Offline gingerman28

  • Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 2015
  • GMan
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
I posted this in the speculation thread .. just adding more to my theory that the team that made the mistake maybe Superbad but I hope not, I like them.
 

sightings in Portland

I always thought the time of day that Superbad was spotted was odd compared to the other team sightings. Noon to 4 ish for most other teams as noted by eye witnesses

I'm pleased to report that I saw a male-male team in downtown Portland 
this evening (peach: that would be 5/14) at about 6:00 local time. A cameraman and a sound man 
were following them.


Spotting one team and cameracrew late in the day (6:00PM) might very well be the team who went to Portland, ME first, and then retreated to Boston and caught a late plane to Portland, OR.  With a three hour time difference between the two Portlands, this is really possible and would account for one team being spotted so late in the day.

Anyway, its food for thought.

Offline Chateau d If

  • Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 4589
  • Missing Apskip :(
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
I did a Travelocity check of flights from Moscow to Portland, Maine, leaving on a Wednesday and it looks like a lead team could catch a very early 5:40 am flight from Moscow's DME to Munich to Chicago to Portland Maine, arriving at 4:26 pm. 

Since that would not give them time to get to the other Portland by 6:00 pm I looked into the chance that they could have discovered their error while waiting at Munich.  They would get to Munich at 6:55 am, their flight to Chicago would leave at 9:00 am giving them plenty of time to research the clue in hand and determine their error.  (isn't this fun Gman! kinda like the extra vehicle we saw in TAR8)   In their Deutsch-downtime they would scramble to catch a flight to Portland, Oregon. 

And guess what?  Travelocity says they could do this:  Keep taking that flight to Chicago leaving at 9:00 am and arriving ORD at 11:40 am.  From there they can take United 929 leaving ORD at 3:25 pm and arriving in Portland PDX at 5:41 pm.    :yess:

Too bad they arrive at ORD a little too late to catch UA 581 leaving at 11:55 am and arriving PDX at 2:14  pm.

So.  It's Possible!   :funny:
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline apskip

  • Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 6201
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
Chateau,
Of course teams should have been headed for Frankfurt to catch the nonstop flight to Portland OR. There is no nonstop flight from Munich to Portland. If a team mistakenly went from Moscow to Munich, they would not be able to catch up with LH468 out of Frankfurt. The standard alternative for them to reach Portland OR is:

 Air Berlin 6026   Departs: 9:55a from MUC    Arrives: 11:10a Düsseldorf (DUS)  
  [ Layover in Dusseldorf, Germany (DUS) for 1h 50m ]  
 LTU International 1582   Departs: 1:00p from DUS  Arrives: 2:05p Vancouver Intl (YVR)  
  [ Layover in Vancouver, BC, Canada (YVR) for 2h 45m ]  
 United 8225   Departs: 4:50p YVR  Arrives: 6:05p Portland (PDX)  
  
Your route through Chicago-O'Hare is even better, as it gets them in 12 minutes earlier(if on time):
LH434 dep. MUC 0900 arr. ORD 1140
UA 929 dep. ORD 1530 arr. PDX 1753

It is possible that a travel agent screwed it up for whichever team is affected and booked them flights to the wrong Portland.
There are no nonstop flights from Munich to Boston arriving  before the evening. There is one from Frankfurt:

LH422 dep. FRA 1225 arr. BOS 1430

At this point it would be easier to rent a car and drive 2 1/4 hours to Portland ME, but Amazing Race rules do not allow it unless a team is getting a Guido exit. Flying from Boston to Portland is one of those "you can't get there form here" situations as there are no nonstops in the right time frame. Leaving after 3pm there is no combination of flights that gets anyone to Portland ME until 11pm at the earliest.

If a team made the mistake and discovered it in Boston airport, then there is a nonstop Alaska Airlines 31  dep. BOS 1635 arr. PDX 2005.

Offline puddin

  • **puddinpiepork**
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • *****
  • Posts: 85481
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »

Could it be that someone goes to the wrong Portland? (Maine instead of Oregon)

Interesting  :sucks
Entertainment Weekly scan Fall preview~


Offline scuzneck

  • RFF Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 150
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:14 AM »
Could it be that someone goes to the wrong Portland? (Maine instead of Oregon)

This would be one of the all-time greatest blunders in reality television history...It would make tremendous television and make Superbad worldwide stars...Too make it worse, it would be wonderful if they had a significant lead heading into the final leg....

Offline apskip

  • Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 6201
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »
Scuznek, in the entire history of the Amazing Race no team has ever had a significant lead over the second place team going into the final leg in a single leg Finale as teams are bunched to guarantee a nearly equal start by WRP policy. In some double leg Finales, there was a lead that evaporated when the bunching happened to equalize the start of what could bge considered the latter leg. Reichen and Chip in AR4 had the best lead, maybe one hour in Hawaii, which gave them an edge after they landed in Phoenix.  

So, a significant lead heading into the final leg is highly improbable. We know that at least 2 teams get onto the plane in Moscow to fly to Frankfurt and then on to Portland OR, so I would say that it's a sure thing.

Offline scuzneck

  • RFF Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 150
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong...I realize a significant lead going into the final leg is virtually impossible..I was just commenting on the fact that it would make the supposed blunder that much more "blunder-ific" (New Word Alert!!)...

And with all the evidence that all of the wonderful folks here have surmised and investigated, it will not be the case, but, it would be positively nail-bitting television, especially if you are fans of Superbad...

I know the TAR has done a great job of making sure a Reichen/Chip lead going to the finish line is almost never going to happen again...It would totally suck to have travelled around the world and not be able to cross the finish line...

Offline apskip

  • Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 6201
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »
That has happened 6 times that I remember:

1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

2. The famous Alaska scene in AR1 when Joe/Bill were 24 hours behind the 2 leaders.

3. Lyn/Karlyn in AR10 could not get on the best plane first from Paris to New York and had to go via Newark maybe 90 minutes behind.

4. In AR6 Adam and Rebecca got to Chicago maybe 90 minutes behind the other 2 teams.

5. In AR7 Ron and Kelly nmade the single wrong turn near the San Juan International Airport and got to the Miami area about 90 minutes behind.

6. Ray and Yolanda were an unknown amount (but mabye an hour) behind at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.


Offline Chateau d If

  • Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 4589
  • Missing Apskip :(
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »

Quote
1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

Ahem  ;), David & Jeff
Documenting her Race Around the World:  Wild Eyes
Our children, what are they going to amount to?

Offline TARAsia Fan

  • TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 8790
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

Quote
1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

Ahem  ;), David & Jeff
Ahem ;), Team Who!
Just here to visit.


 

Custom Search