Author Topic: ♥ TAR13 ♥ *WINNERS* Nick Spangler & Starr Spangler!!  (Read 82006 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
♥ TAR13 ♥ *WINNERS* Nick Spangler & Starr Spangler!!
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »

Names: Nick and Starr Spangler
Ages: 22, 21
Occupations: Actor, NFL cheerleader
Hometown: New York City, Fort Worth, TX
Relationship: Siblings

This brother/sister team will stop at nothing to win the Race. Both are extremely driven and competitive, especially with one another. They admit to being over-zealous when a prize is involved – even if it’s only bragging rights. They’re excited to use this to their advantage on the Race.

Nick and Starr could practically be twins, and consider each other best friends, even though they rarely see each other due to distance. They hope to strengthen their relationship on this adventure, but do worry that since they haven’t spent much time together in several years that they could get on one another’s nerves. After all, in high-school they were bitter enemies.

Nick claims that the biggest difference between them is that Starr can be a bit reckless – she leaps into a situation without thinking about the repercussions - while Nick thinks everything through before acting. Starr claims that she is simply more spontaneous and figures everything will work out in the end.

Nick and Starr have both accomplished their life-long dreams. Nick performs on the New York stage in an Off-Broadway musical called The Fantasticks, while Starr was a cheerleader for the Dallas Cowboys for the past three seasons.

They’re anxious to bring a new approach to the game and are motivated to strengthen their relationship. They believe that their charisma, wit and relentless spirit will make for a dangerous combination.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:32:12 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: ♥ TAR13 ♥ *WINNERS* Nick Spangler & Starr Spangler!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
 :wohoo:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
great  :jumpy:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »
siblings rock! I hated my brother in high school too! (but not any more!)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:59 AM »
http://www.nickspangler.com/home.htm

website! roles! photos! resume!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »
I could like them.
Just here to visit.

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
I have seen Nick in Fantasticks - and he is just that!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/120532.html

AND

Someone put up a facebook page for this team - and Starr joined it! Figures as they are the age of the facebook crowd. May be something to watch as their friends may post some cool info.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Amazing-Race-13-Nick-and-Starr/27581397119?ref=s&refurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fs.php%3Fref%3Dsearch%26init%3Dq%26q%3Dnick%2Band%2Bstarr

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 01:40:40 PM »
I think I'll be rooting for them!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »
Thanks Lucky!

Nick Spangler, who goes on a journey into the wide, cruel world nightly as Matt in Off-Broadway's The Fantasticks, will circle the globe this fall as a competitor on the CBS reality series "The Amazing Race."

Along with his cheerleader sister, Starr, Spangler will battle other teams in a race against the clock, navigating roads, airports and waterways and completing tasks cooked up by the producers. Past teams have done everything from lug a side of beef through the streets to milking a camel — and drinking the warm milk.

The 13th season of the Emmy Award-winning series (premiering Sept. 28 at 8 PM ET) begins at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and follows teams across 30,000 miles in 23 days to Brazil, Bolivia, India, Russia and Kazakhstan.

At stake is a $1 million prize.

At the Snapple Theater Center in the Manhattan theatre district, clean-cut Spangler goes from innocence to experience nightly as Matt, who sings "Soon It's Gonna Rain," "They Were You" and "I Can See It" — that famous song about roads that take you away.

"He's a hottie — a hottie, a hottie," said Pat Addiss, one of the producers of The Fantasticks. "The girls just love him. He's such a professional. He's adorable…all the little girls come and get autographs…"

Addiss said she'll be watching "The Amazing Race" every week to see how the Spanglers fare. All parties involved in the series are sworn to secrecy about the result of the pre-taped and edited race.

Nick and his sister Starr Spangler

photo by © CBS
Born and raised in northern California with three siblings, Spangler's theatre career started at the age of five when he appeared as a Munchkin in a local production of The Wizard of Oz. He continued to pursue musical theatre and attended college at New York University where he performed the leads in Bat Boy: the Musical and The Last Five Years. His other theatre credits include Jimmy in Thoroughly Modern Millie (Gateway Playhouse), Jean Michael in La Cage aux Folles (Arvada Center) and Matt in The Fantasticks (Casa Manana). Prior to assuming the role of Matt in The Fantasticks Off-Broadway, Nick appeared in the production for nine months as The Mute. His Off-Broadway performance as Matt was recognized with The Theater Hall of Fame's 2008 Elaine and Jerry Orbach Musical Theater Fellowship.

Starr Spangler, his sister, is a cheerleader for the Dallas Cowboys.

The Fantasticks plays The Snapple Theater Center, 210 West 50th Street at Broadway. For tickets call (212) 921-7862 or visit Ticketmaster.com.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
Oh my gosh--is this our new theme song?? :lol:  gorgeous voice!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
yay

i like them  :jumpy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
I love them too! and wow she is drop dead gorgeous!

Offline elopes

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »
I just read that one of the reporters who spoke to this team said they seemed fake.  I think they just want to be famous...
 :lala   (:;)    :pull   :knuckles:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
I seem to have a different opinion at the moment elopes but we will see  ;)

I hope they do well
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 07:06:32 AM »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »
Thanks Lucky! It's a good one!:

Nick Spangler on 'The Amazing Race' and 'The Fantasticks'

As promised last week, today Blog Stage spoke with actor Nick Spangler, star of the Off-Broadway revival of the long-running The Fantasticks and now a contestant on the upcoming season of The Amazing Race. Spangler will compete with his sister and teammate Starr Spangler, a former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader, in the 13th season of the reality competition series.

In this exclusive Blog Stage interview, Spangler discusses The Amazing Race, The Fantasticks, and how being eliminated from a reality show isn't quite like bombing an audition.

Blog Stage: How did you get involved with reality TV, and The Amazing Race, in the first place?

Nick Spangler: To be honest, the major push came from my sister. The Amazing Race is kind of a special case though, because I remember watching the first season years ago. I think I was in high school at the time, and saw the very first episode of the very first season, and it became a big family event. My whole family would sit down and watch. And we would always joke, "Wouldn't it be so cool if mom and dad this? Or maybe Nick and Starr when we're older!"

Why did you apply for this season?

You have to be 21. So this was the first time that we were both eligible. I was about to open a show in Denver this past year, and I woke up to a phone call from my sister. She said, "Applications are due for The Amazing Race on Monday. I bought a plane ticket, and I'll be in Denver on Friday so we can flm a video together. Let's do it." And I was like, "Wait, what? I'm opening a show Tuesday night! How can you expect me to do that!"

And she just said, "Well, I already bought my plane ticket."

Do you think that being professional performers gave you an edge in the casting process?

I don't know if that helped us or hindered us. Everybody gets pissed off when they hear another actor [is on reality TV]. Starr's not an actress, but she's definitely a professional performer. I think that's where a lot of the draw came from for us. (laughs)

I think my minor success on professional stage helped. I wouldn't call myself a wanna-be actor. I am a working actor in New York City. So it's a little bit different than an aspiring actor, and I was comfortable applying, knowing that I had achieved some level of success before I got my 15 minutes of fame from reality television.

How did your friends and fellow actors react to the news that you would be on reality TV?

If I was on Big Brother, or one of the sit-around-and-do-nothing shows, I think people would have some negative things to say. But with The Amazing Race, the most common response I get is, "Oh my God, I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to do that!" Or, "It'll be so fun to know somebody on the show!"

I haven't gotten any raised eyebrows. I don't think everybody is associating being on reality television with the fact that I'm an actor. Trying to boost my career was never at the forefront of my mind. I didn't wanna go on and say, "Hey America! I'm an actor! Give me a job!"

Do you think your exposure on The Amazing Race will boost your audience for The Fantasticks?

It would certainly be nice. We could always use more people in the theatre. (laughs)

We had an American Idol finalist in the cast last summer, and he generated a small amount of buzz, but we weren't suddenly packed. The Amazing Race isn't a performance-based reality show like Dancing with the Stars or American Idol, so I don't know if the crowd that watches The Amazing Race is gonna travel to New York to see Nick Spangler in The Fantasticks.

How does racing around the world with your sister relate to your experience preparing for roles as an actor?

You really can't prepare to be on The Amazing Race, as much as people try, because you never know what's coming. There's so many twists and turns and surprises, and I think the way to be the most successful on the race is just to have a completely open mind and spirit.

In The Fantasticks, we've had so many cast members in and out of the show, and it's not uncommon for us to be performing with almost an entirely new cast from week to week. Your timing is kind of out the window, and a lot of things that you're used to suddenly aren't there. So I like to think that being a receptive actor who's not locked in a rigid performance, and having a mindset of being open to what other people are doing, helped me on the race.

Is working as a team with your sister similar to working as a team with your fellow cast members?

Absolutely. You couldn't run The Amazing Race by yourself. You rely on your teammates at times, and you carry your teammates at times, just like in The Fantasticks. I've got my favorite jokes that I tell in the show, but there's almost no joke that isn't set up by another actor. Unless you're doing your own standup comedy act or your own one-man show, you can't expect to have the same reactions that you get with the help of your cast members.

Which is scarier: the risk of getting eliminated on a reality show, or going to auditions and getting rejected?

I've had so many auditions that that's kind of dissipated somewhat. The fear of being eliminated on The Amazing Race, though, is at the forefront of your mind the whole time you're on it. You're standing on that starting line, before you've even started, and all everybody is thinking is, "Please don't let me be eliminated first. Please don't let me be eliminated first." That's everybody's biggest fear: Don't be the goofball that gets kicked off on that first episode.

In the acting world, I've gone through my share of big rejections, where I thought I did a bang-up job and they look at me like Simon Cowell. There are definite parallels, but they're difficult to compare.

So making it to the next episode is like getting a callback?

It gets worse and worse as you get closer to the end, because it becomes more real and you're going for the win. But that's the great thing about The Amazing Race. It never stops. It's like having a callback every damn day of your life.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
Cool link to broadway.tv video interview of Nick backstage dishing on the Amazing Race! Gives a little more insight into him as a person. (Yup, i am a fan, and spend way too much time googling Nick and Starr Amazing Race 13!!!!) So now they are living together apparently, in NYC, since race time.

NOTE - IF YOU TRIED THIS LINK AND IT DID NOT WORK PREVIOUSLY, IT MOVED, SO HERE IS JUST THE VIDEO LINK. IT WAS ADDED 8/29. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1753162120/bclid1755456913/bctid1755448496
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:56:34 PM by Lucky13 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
thanks for posting that Lucky

realityfan80

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »
Anybody able to get to NYC should go see Nick in The Fantasticks.  He is AMAZING (no pun intended) and he always signs autographs after the show for the people waiting!!  You can meet him now before he becomes a TV star!!!  Plus the Fantasticks is a really good show too.  Here is a link to a very recent concert appearance with Erica Piccininni from Jersey Boys at Union Square Park.  He sings so beautifully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZgM0moHFg

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 04:27:40 AM »
TONS of photos up of Nick and Starr at their web site for the race - www.nickandstarr.com
Fun shots show what I hope are their real personalities. Time will tell! It is easy to leave them comments and you do not have to log in/sign up. No ads! Show them some LOVE!

They have a facebook page as well - Official Amazing Race 13-Nick and Starr
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:32:02 AM by Lucky13 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing Lucky  :jumpy:

eta: i see the [banned image hosting site] video was removed but here are my other videos

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v158079845g2NWBYp

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15802303hXXy83Hr

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15797803X3tM4BsJ

http://www.youtube.com/user/weecama
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:58:11 AM by puddin »

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
You know I was in NYC a couple days ago, and I went to see the theater he proforms at, its very small! I got my picture taken by the sign, but that would have been cool if he was there.

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
Well, North, if you had actually gone to SEE the show, or even went at the time it was over and waited at the stage door, you could have actually met Nick and gotten an autograph and picture with him! He does not live at work, you know! Oh, yeah, he is about to depart on the race with his sister - wink wink!

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
lol I know, but I had another show to get to that night. A guy I know is in South Pacific, so he took us backstage of his play that night.