Author Topic: HIGHWAY 18  (Read 32348 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
HIGHWAY 18
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:34:59 PM »
 :js:  The Golf Channel's latest reality show, Highway 18.  Premiere Tuesday, July 22, 10pm et/7PM pt.

Combines a 1000 mile road trip with golfing, against the clock.  5 teams of 2, 1 winner.  I suppose if you like TAR, you might like this show. 

preview
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:38:51 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: HIGHWAY 18
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:24 PM »
........ another channel I do not get *sigh*

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »

bummer....  BTW, did you notice in the previews that one of the contestants name is "Peach".  :ascared   :funny:  :snicker: 

Offline BballKates

• RFF Sr. Member
  • I Love TV!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »
That is an interesting concept for a show. My dad loves golf he would probably watch it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »

bummer....  BTW, did you notice in the previews that one of the contestants name is "Peach".  :ascared   :funny:  :snicker: 
Yeah, the dude! lol

See I love golf, I use to be the golf cart girl at a resort and brought beer & liquor to the golfers  :angel:
But I really didn't get golf until I started watching CBS for Amazing Race & Survivor commercials and thanks to those 2 shows. I now get it, golf, and enjoy it, lol

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »

See I love golf, I use to be the golf cart girl at a resort and brought beer & liquor to the golfers  :angel:

:snicker:  wow, the things you learn on this board.    :jam:   :keeta:

Golf Cart Girls web site

Confessions of a Cart Girl

Cart Girl Confidential

Beverage cart girl serves up flirtation with success

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:53:27 AM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »

:snicker:  wow, the things you learn on this board.   :lol:

Golf Cart Girls web site
  .....the good old days  ;)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:53:26 PM »
 :js: Highway 18 premiered tonight, and it's pretty good.  Golf Channel has put together an entertaining clone of TAR, while golfing against the clock.   The host, Kari Murphy is no Phil, and she needs to work on her banter with the players.  The prize money is not even close to TAR, but it's all about the golf.   ;)  ($50K air travel @ travelocity, golf clubs, a years supply of balls, and $50K cash).

Five teams of two in a thousand mile road trip, visiting pro level golf courses, playing golf, answering golf related questions, running, running, running (all while carrying a golf bag and clubs).  :yess:  These are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch, and the pressure effects their golf game... oh the tension....  :funny:

OK, on to the first leg.  Keri gives the contestants the countdown (borrowed from TAR, but with a twist) "Drive safe, hit 'em straight, 3 - 2 - 1 - GO!"  The teams must find the keys to their cars hidden somewhere at the starting line (St. Augustine, FL).  The teams drive to their first challenge, a golfing/mental event.  Reach the island green or sink a 25 ft. putt if they miss.  This allows them to race to the Golf Hall of Fame to meet with Arnold Palmer to receive their challenge question.  They all give the wrong answer and must go down to the Hall of Fame Museum to find the answer.

Later they drive to a TPC course and pick a hole.  They must make par, alternating strokes, to move on to the finish line.  These folks are bad under pressure.   :groan:

First two teams reach the finish line and receive one of four golf balls.  The last three teams get in a three-way foot race (including a funny race in golf carts  :lol:) to the finish line.  WOW..... exciting.  No golf ball for the last team... BUT theres a twist....it's a DOUBLE ELIMINATION format, so they are safe.  Two strikes and your out.

Overall I give this show a B+ for imitating the TAR format.  They could use a more catchy opening theme song, and a tighter musical score during the show.  (Production gets a D- for showing the camera people in the shots, a no-no in BVMs book). The teams are well chosen, Dumb Blondes, Sassy Black Girl, Good old Country Boys, etc.  Looks like a nice time filler while waiting for the REAL TAR to start in the fall.   :funny:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:23:31 AM by Boingo »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »
The show will be repeated throughout the week including at 6 ET tonight. The production values are pretty good. Not a bad TAR clone.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »

:yess:  Here ya go, puddin.... The Golf Channel - Highway 18 Episode 1 Recap video   :sucks

ETA: Note to CBS executives.... notice how The Golf Channel's Highway 18 was shot in 16:9 (widescreen) format.   :angel:   Now I know we are in tough times, but if you think The Golf Channel has a bigger budget then CBS, maybe you can borrow their cameras for the next season of TAR.   Wake up and smell the coffee.... If The Golf Channel can do it with handheld cameras, so can you. (:;) 

oh.... and have a nice day!
:snicker:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:31:49 PM by Boingo »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »
I got to see the replay today. I like the show and the production values. Good use of Golf Channel's Founding Father for the show. If Michael was into the show, he would already be rooting for the Ashley/Ashleigh team and be in love with host Keri Murphy.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:19 PM »
 :sucks  Episode 2 of 10:

This show continues to deliver as promised.  This week its all about the golfing.... and driving skills (or lack there of).   :lol:  The personalities of the teams are coming out.   :meow:

Team "Good Ole Boys" - dumb & dumber, but is a nice country way.  Lots of laughs.
Team Salt & Pepper - redeem themselves with some good play
Team Brother & Sis - Last weeks first place team falls flat on their faces, but survive.
Team Dad & Son - Never looked back from the stating line.  Rode hard and won.
Team Ashley/Ashleigh - Well, at least they have their looks going for them... dead last!

Scores after 2 legs (2 strikes and you're eliminated)

Team Good Ole Boys    0 strike
Team Salt & Pepper     1 strike
Team Brother & Sis      0 strike
Team Dad & Son          0 strike
Team Ashley/Ashleigh  1 strike

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:11 PM »
I had a bad feeling about Ashley/Ashleigh tonight. They just had problems, first at the Swamp, then stupidly choosing the Par 5 hole. Rob & Charlotte had some stumbles, but I think if they and the Ashleys stay, I have a feeling there's going to be a rivalry between those two teams.

Good show. I'll watch the replay later this week.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:02:12 AM »
 :bubs Programming update: Episode 3 of 10 originally scheduled for this week will be seen next week, Tues. Aug. 12th, at the usual time.    :meow:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
Golf Channel is in PGA Championship programming all week.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »
Episode 3 of 10  ...or how confusing can it get...  :lol:

Excuse me for a second, my brain is about to explode after watching tonight's show..  :groan:

All will be revealed later....  but first the teams are subjected to pointless racing from challenge to challenge before the pace of the show grinds to a screeching halt.... to play golf... WTF?  :lol:

There seems to be a racetrack theme running through the first half of the show, with an accuracy challenge at a horse race track ??? and then a interesting but pointless racing /chipping challenge at the Daytona Speedway.  Hit the car with your shot, and take a lap off of your partenrs 4-lap ride.  Our resident NASCAR Mom (puddin) would have liked this, but too bad she don't get this channel...  :neener:

Then they race to the clubhouse challenge where the order of their arrival gives them a penalty in the stroke challenge.  ...did I lose you yet, because my brain was spinning at this point...

Team with highest combined scores of a par 4 and par 5 hole plus penalty points is the loser... carry the three, square root of 2... :groan:  BUT wait... there's a twist...or two...or three....  :res:

THIS IS A SUPER LEG.... WTF?   :groan:  that means it's a Non-elimination leg, no strikes, just a time penalty for the losing team next week.   Don't pass go, don't collect $200,   blahblah

BUT THERE'S MORE.... (oh save me lord)   the winning team (after we adjust for magnetic north and position of the planets during a full moon) get next week off...(aka IMMUNITY!)   :pull

If you followed all that you're a better man than I am.... OK, so here's the results after 3 legs ...

Team Salt & Pepper     1 strike  --- IMMUNITY, take next week off!
Team Brother & Sis      0 strike  --- start with time penalty next week

...oh yeah, did I tell you, these folks can't play golf to save their lives....  :pull   :funny:
OK TARAsia Fan, looks like we're the only two watching this show...let the bashing begin... :knuckles:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:37:21 PM by Boingo »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
Boingo,

I have yet to see the episode, I'll watch a replay on Golf Channel this weekend, but I like your recap.  :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline hacker

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »
Episode 3 of 10  ...or how confusing can it get...  :lol:

Excuse me for a second, my brain is about to explode after watching tonight's show..  :groan:

All will be revealed later....  but first the teams are subjected to pointless racing from challenge to challenge before the pace of the show grinds to a screeching halt.... to play golf... WTF?  :lol:

There seems to be a racetrack theme running through the first half of the show, with an accuracy challenge at a horse race track ??? and then a interesting but pointless racing /chipping challenge at the Daytona Speedway.  Hit the car with your shot, and take a lap off of your partenrs 4-lap ride.  Our resident NASCAR Mom (puddin) would have liked this, but too bad she don't get this channel...  :neener:

Then they race to the clubhouse challenge where the order of their arrival gives them a penalty in the stroke challenge.  ...did I lose you yet, because my brain was spinning at this point...

Team with highest combined scores of a par 4 and par 5 hole plus penalty points is the loser... carry the three, square root of 2... :groan:  BUT wait... there's a twist...or two...or three....  :res:

THIS IS A SUPER LEG.... WTF?   :groan:  that means it's a Non-elimination leg, no strikes, just a time penalty for the losing team next week.   Don't pass go, don't collect $200,   blahblah

BUT THERE'S MORE.... (oh save me lord)   the winning team (after we adjust for magnetic north and position of the planets during a full moon) get next week off...(aka IMMUNITY!)   :pull

If you followed all that you're a better man than I am.... OK, so here's the results after 3 legs ...

Team Salt & Pepper     1 strike  --- IMMUNITY, take next week off!
Team Brother & Sis      0 strike  --- start with time penalty next week

...oh yeah, did I tell you, these folks can't play golf to save their lives....  :pull   :funny:
OK TARAsia Fan, looks like we're the only two watching this show...let the bashing begin... :knuckles:

I find it a little strange that the biggest complaint I've heard about the show is that it not "real" golf- so when the race at the end of the day stops for real stroke play... that's the first thing you gripe about.   This episode to me makes more sense than the previous ones: having your final placement once reaching the clubhouse challenge effect your score - & you get to play "real" golf...  not speed golf. 
Regarding your "head spinning" - I don't know what you're talking about... I was able to keep up with the show just fine & I thought it was great.  Things like immunity & penalties are not uncommon in competition reality shows. 

And I also did a little research regarding some of the players & came up with a few stats:
Peach: walked on his college team to play with Tom Kite & Ben Hogan
Jay: played at the University of New Mexico with a golf scholarship & is currently playing professionally on the Hooters Tour
Parker & Andy: Andy's qualified for a number of PGA events & they both share the course record at their home course with a score of 63
Jameica & Charlotte: Duramed Futures tour players - Charlotte was 3-time athlete of the year at Rollins College, won numerous tournaments & qualified for the womens US Open in 2006
Ashleigh Korzack: played at Missisippi State with a golf scholarship
Ashley Davis: played at Tenessee State with a golf scholarship & won the 2003 PGA Minority Collegiate Championship

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:07:45 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »
hacker if you signed up just to attack Boingo then you are not welcomed here, this forum is not about making personal attacks , we can all agree to disagree but you, the way I am reading it, are making it personal.

Offline hacker

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
I signed up to attack Boingo's attack.... Just thought it only seemed fair.  Just a fan of the show.  I promise I'll behave.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 03:17:43 PM »
I signed up to attack Boingo's attack.... Just thought it only seemed fair.  Just a fan of the show.  I promise I'll behave.
Just don't make it personal okay? We aren't that sort of forum and Boingo is our Boingo and when you attack him it makes it personal to all of us. Defend your show but please no calling out someone that has a different opinions or views than yours. 

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »
  :waves:  hacker, welcome to the RFF Highawy 18 board.  Sounds like you're a dyed-in-the wool golf fan.  Great... I was wondering when the lurkers were going to chip in to the discussion.  Kind of lonely with just me and TARAsia Fan.   :snicker:

Puddins right, we don't kill the messenger here, but reality show contestants (aka media whores) are fair game.  Around here, snarkiness is welcome, if not downright encouraged when it comes to postings.  Our RFF family here hold reality shows to a higher standard, so "TAR wannabees" like Highway 18 are ripe for discussion (good or bad).  Just don't shoot the messenger....  ;)

Don't worry, I don't take personal comments...well, personally.... I've got my "radiation suit" on... just bash away at the contestants....    :knuckles:  You may want to browse the Amazing Race forum to see what a really fine reality show can be like... along with the exceptional pro and con comments and discoveries.... 

Like I said in the previous comments, Highway 18 is nothing more than a time filler while waiting for the TAR13 to start in the fall.  I could care less about the golfing, but production and entertainment values are what interest me.    :lol:   Maybe you'll join us at the TAR board in September.

:hearts:  nice to know puddin has my back....     :<3

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
 :wohoo:  Just saw previews for Highway 18 - Episode 4.....   :wohoo:

:cheer:  pro football basketball cheerleaders....  :sucks :jumpy:  :dancer:

Just the thing to spice up a little golf themed reality TV show.......   :snicker:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:38:01 PM by Boingo »

Offline hacker

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 09:02:14 PM »
So... lemme get the rules straight: personal attacks are only allowed if the target is on a tv show.  Got it.
I'll admit, I was a bit revved about the comments like "they can't play golf to save their lives" - so I came back a little harsh... & I made a point that was later edited saying that they are playing darn good golf considering they're running themselves ragged for possibly up to 12 hours before having to play a real golf hole.  I think their golf is impressive under those circumstances.  Golfers know how mental the game is, & I'd wager these folks are mentally done by the time they have to perform.
So I took it upon myself to show some stats proving that these guys CAN play golf... & better than most, at that. 
Yeah, it's obviously a knock off of "Amazing Race" which is a reality knock off of "Rat Race" which is a knock off of "Mad Mad Mad Mad World" - it's obvious that nothing is original anymore.

I still think that Highway 18 is a blast to watch.... I just figured that if there was gonna be a hater, I'd better fill the role of the contrary.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 09:13:19 PM »
You can hate on the contestants and the show but not the members so yeahthatsright hacker.