Author Topic: "The Phone"  (Read 8513 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
"The Phone"
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
sounds intriguing!

Justin Timberlake is back on MTV, but not in a musicvid.
Network has greenlit "The Phone," a gameshow based on a Dutch format that mixes elements of "The Amazing Race" with "The Bourne Identity." Timberlake, David Schiff and Cecile Frot-Coutaz are exec producers.

Series will launch in the fall. Filming locations have yet to be determined, as is the length of each episode.

Episodes begin with two strategically hidden cell phones ringing at opposite ends of a city. Once answered, a mysterious guide gives contestants five seconds to answer whether they want to play the game for the chance at winning a cash prize.

When the players are established, they are sent into a race against each other-- with the guide watching from a helicopter above -- to accomplish their mission.

"'The Phone' is an exciting, innovative reality game that will make the viewer feel like they're part of an espionage thriller," says Frot-Coutaz, CEO of FremantleMedia North America, which is producing.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985445.html?categoryId=14&cs=1
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: "The Phone"
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
Now it has my attention

THE PHONE (MTV, New!) - The cable channel has ordered a new series from Justin Timberlake and "American Idol" producers FremantleMedia North America which pits two contestants in a race against time to accomplish a mission together and win a cash prize. The project, which is based on the Dutch format by Park Lane Productions, opens with two strategically hidden cell phones ringing at opposite ends of a major city. The two that answer then are given five seconds to decide if they wish to play said game, which is being likened to "The Amazing Race" meets "The Bourne Identity." Exact format details - including the length and number of episodes - are still being worked out. Timberlake, David Schiff and Cecile Frot-Coutaz are the show's executive producers with Tony DiSanto and Maira Suro overseeing the project for MTV. It's expected to bow this fall.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7637

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »
It is based on a Dutch show.

You can watch the current episode here: (in Dutch  :lol:)

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/aflevering?aflID=7007106&md5=c520ccdf76a2ed376c2ec6e53b217d2a

Click on the little red bar on the bottom left...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:08:39 AM »
It is finally ready! But will this be shown here? This is Australia right? I wanna see!!!

Inside Scoop On That The Phone Show

If you've been reading the site over the last few days, you've probably noticed a little TV program called The Phone. We happened to score ourselves an interview with Executive Producer, Chris Berry, who was happy to give us a few insights into what the reality-come-action game actually is...

So, The Phone; it's an interesting concept, but kinda complicated. How would you describe the show?
There's so much to it, it's difficult to explain. I think probably the easiest way to describe it is it's a cross between The Bourne Identity and The Amazing Race.

So if it's difficult to explain, why bother- why not go with a tried and tested, simple, game show format?
Well, it's just so different. It's a unique format that hasn't been done before and I think, purely and simply because of that, it has a lot of potential to peak viewer interest. One of the truly charming things about the program, is that it's kind of a heightened reality; whilst we're using real, unsuspecting contestants, there's a terrific subplot or drama that unfolds throughout. In fact, every episode has a storyline. So there's a true depth to it unlike any other reality program. It steps into a completely unknown reality format.

It reminds me of that show from a few years back called The Mole.
Yeah, yeah there are definite similarities.

It must have been pretty interesting for you to be producing a reality program that is essentially scripted television?
Oh absolutely. It was a relentless and demanding show to put together. Whilst Michelle, our writer, could start with a blank paper and create this wonderful back story and manufacture these clever and quirky little clues, essentially our key cast in each episode, aside from [host] Justin Melvey, was two unsuspecting people who had been plucked off the street, by answering a phone. So the slightly terrifying part of that was whilst we could invest in research- walk routes and figure out it would take x minutes to find a clue- if the contestants didn't find it on time, it would cascade throughout the entire filming. Depending on whether they found the clue or went in the right direction, all of a sudden we'd have to move five cameramen.

Speaking of the contestants, from the trailers and interviews I've seen so far, all the contestants seem to be young and good looking. How come?
We did, I guess, target locations where we thought young people might be- since it's a Fox8 program we wanted a younger player. But ultimately we were just pretty lucky that we found such amazing contestants, who played the game hard, enjoyed themselves and provided good dialogue.

Did it surprise you how competitive people got in the game?
We'd spent so long researching and creating this world called The Phone, it became really important that once the game started the contestants remained in that world. I think that was the exciting part for the contestants- they got to forget about their day to day lives for a while, were completely emerged in this world called The Phone and had a ball.

Did anyone actually turn down the offer to get involved?
We did get a couple of people, but we'd just move on. We'd either have to relax and wait for about half an hour to reset everything, because everyone around would have seen the situation, or we'd just move to a new location.

So how do you think it will be received by the Australian public?
I think, because it's unique, there'll be a high level of curiosity. At the same time, it's very fast paced. You don't have long sections where you could possibly fall asleep- you really have to charge yourself to watch it. Plus, we've got some fantastic contestants, that I think people will enjoy watching.

Are there any plans to make a second series?
I think everyone involved in the first one would put their hand up and agree to go through the pain again- the test to that will of course be whether the viewers like the first series.

In other words; note to the reader- watch the show...
Basically.

The Phone premieres 8.30pm, Monday 19th on Fox 8.

http://www.defamer.com.au/2009/01/inside_scoop_on_that_the_phone_show.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:25:56 AM »
Yep, there's been commercials for about a month now about the phone coming out in Australia. From what I've seen in previews, it looks really good, sort of like a condensed version of TAR.

Of course, they bring out an Amazing Race show that you cant actually sign up for.

I hate the network execs.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:25:40 AM »
Well, when will it come to the States? I wanna see it too!  :neener:

Will you answer the phone?

A random phone rings in the city – would you pick up? Those who do find themselves plunged into the adventure of a lifetime as they star in THE PHONE, FOX8's exclusive new reality series premiering Mondays at 8.30pm.

THE PHONE is a new high-paced action reality series in which two complete strangers are plucked from their daily lives to compete in a cat and mouse game like no other. Every week, two new contestants must work together, but ultimately compete against one another, for the chance to win $25,000.

Hosted by Clue Master Justin Melvey, each episode kicks off with two strategically placed mobile phones ringing at opposite ends of an Australian city. Once answered, the mysterious Clue Master gives contestants five seconds to decide if they want to play the game. If they accept, the competition begins immediately, throwing the two contestants into an intense race.

With an interesting back story himself, Melvey’s fictional character communicates and toys with the contestants via mobile phone, setting them tasks and giving them clues and hints to find the briefcase of cash. Meanwhile, crews track their every move, exploit and error – with each failed task chipping away at the cash prize.

THE PHONE is the first series in the world to combine reality with an enthralling fictional element. It’s this powerful combination that makes the show such an exciting, original format. Filmed exclusively in Australia for FOX8 with frenetic pace in a voyeuristic manner, THE PHONE replicates the look and feel of the smash hit Bourne Identity and 24. Watching it feels you are part of an espionage thriller that is gripping to the very end.

For your very own THE PHONE experience and your chance to win $5000 cash or one of eight Blackberry Storms exclusive to Vodafone, play the THE PHONE GAME online right here at www.FOX8.tv.

THE PHONE is a successful Dutch format that has been picked up around the world, including the US where Justin Timberlake recently signed on to produce a local version for MTV.

In Australia, episodes were filmed across Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart and the Gold Coast with the eight-part series produced by dSP Beyond exclusively for FOX8.

http://www.fox8.foxtel.com.au/Shows/the-phone/index.htm
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »
The early episodes have showed promise. I can't imagine this show lasting for more than a few seasons though.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
Does anyone have any "viewing options"? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
I see videos here but I can't get them to play.  :umn:

http://www.fox8.foxtel.com.au/Shows/the-phone

The choices we make dictate the life we lead.