Author Topic: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation  (Read 540725 times)

Offline jayans

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: The Amazing Race Asia 3 Spoilers/Speculation
« Reply #1400 on: November 14, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
I want to go through an analysis of timing in Oman to see how that affects which flight teams might get. Here it is:

before Nizwah fort is essentially irrevelant due to Hours of Operation
enter Nizwah Fort 700am
Mutrah Souq         715am
Carpet or Count It take about 1 hour 815am
Wadi Tanuf          1045am
Ida/Tania reach pitstop 1100am
Geoff/Tisha reach pitstop 1115am
Sam/Vince finish after 4 hour penalty 0330pm

Assume a 12 hour pitstop, that releases teams at:
Ida/Tania 1100pm
Geoff/Tisha 1115 pm
Sam/Vince 0330am

With a minimum 2.5 hour drive back to the Muscat Airport, the earliest teams can arrive is:
Ida/Tania 0130am
Geoff/Tisha 0145am
Sam/Vince 0600am

Here is my main finding: Sam/Vince will not be able to catch the 540am or 610am flights from Muscat in the direction of Bangkok. Ida/Tania and Geoff/Tisha can do so easily and should get the combination Qatar Airways 171 MCT DOH 0610 0635, connecting with Qatar Airways 610 0800 1830, arriving at 630pm. They should also be able to catch EK867 MCT DXB 0500 0550 connecting with EK418 DXB BKK 0905 1805. If the final destination is Koh Samui, they will fly Bangkok to there on PG187 19:35 21:05 BKK USM and arrive at 905pm. If it is to Koh Chang or Phuket, then they will have to overnight at Bangkok to catch the first morning plane (09:00 10:05 BKK TDX PG301 if Koh Chang or PG271 08:10 09:30 BKK HKT.

The earliest Sam/Vince can arrive is EK6479 MCT DXB 1335 1440(there are also equivalent earlier flights) connecting with  TG522 DXB BKK 1755 0505+1. The flights they can catch are from Bangkok to:

Koh Chang/Trat 09:00 10:05 BKK TDX PG301
Koh Samui PG123 08:15 09:20 BKK USM
Phuket PG271 08:10 09:30 BKK HKT

I think they do some more things at Muscat, Oman before heading to the airport. What will happen is a detour and roadblock at muscat, then probably something else to do in BKK before heading to the finish line.

Offline Janetsaurus_Regina

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1401 on: November 14, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
I want to go through an analysis of timing in Oman to see how that affects which flight teams might get. Here it is:

enter Nizwah Fort 700am

Muttrah souq is in Muscat while Wadi Tanuf is 20 kms. beyond Nizwa so you'll have to adjust your time schedule.  Nizwa is about 1.5 hours drive from Muscat 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1402 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »
I posted these in my episode summary but it really has some great 360 views of several of the places we go:  :hearts:

OMAN 360:

http://www.explore-oman.net/index.htm
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1403 on: November 14, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
I think it may be Bophut Beach --getting warmer, :lol: ??

Bophut Beach, a two-kilometre sandy shoreline fringed by coconut palms leaning over the sea.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1404 on: November 14, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
For those who did not know (which includes me), BoPhut Beach is the northeast corner of Koh Samui and is 2km from its airport. There is a lot of information available on what to do and see on that island and at that beach.

Here is a brief snippet on Bophut Beach: "Bophut is the beach/bay just to the east of Maenam. Its lifestyle is relaxed and more traditional than the larger communities, referring to itself as Fisherman's Village. Bhophut's laid back vibe is popular with the more chic sort of travelers, and has a number of pricey but very good French-owned cafes and restaurants."

Koh Samui Tourist attractions
Angthong National Marine Park Angthong National Marine Park, comprising of 42 islands, featuring lime stone massifs, tropical rainforests secluded beaches and considerable amount wildlife was established as a national park in 1980. Also known as the Golden Basin, Angthong National Marine Park in Koh Samui is renowned for activities like snorkeling, walking and swimming. Similar nearby islands are Koh Sam Sao, Koh Prayad, Koh Hin Dap and Koh Kha.
Wat Khunaram Koh Samui This temple is the island’s most famous temple for its mummified monk on display. The mummy sits upright in a glass casket and devotees offer it flowers and incense. The mummy is in fact the body of a very revered former abbot of the temple who was also a meditation master that was able to predict his own death.
Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo Koh Samui The undersea world of the aquarium has an amazing collection of tropical fish and other vibrant aquatic animals such as turtles and colorful coral. The tiger zoo is home to Bengal tigers and leopards. For those who are daring enough, they can have their photograph taken with the awesome animals.
Laem Sor Pagoda Koh Samui This chedi (pagoda) situated at Laem Sor temple is one of the most important shrines on Koh Samui. The structure with its yellow tiles which gives off a golden aura is quite impressive.

Big Buddha statue
Grandfather and Grandmother stone
Home of the Grandfather and Grandmother RocksBig Buddha is a twelve-metre high statue of the Buddha, which lies at the top of ceremonial dragon-steps at the Wat Phra Yai. Samui also has a number of other impressive temples, including Wat Khunaram, where the mummified body of Loung Pordaeng, a monk who died in a meditating position is on display.
The Grandmother and Grandfather rocks on the south end of Lamai beach are an occasional source of amusement for tourists due to their striking similarity to a vagina and penis. For those who would like to hear a legend or two surrounding the rocks, they need only ask a local.
The mountain jungle in the interior of the island is an excellent day out, and is home to a number of impressive gardens built by legendary Samuia farmer Nim Thongsuk, the impressive waterfalls at Na Muang, real working rubber plantations and the most amazing views over the Ang Thong archipelago. The roads in the jungle are an adventure in themselves, and tourists normally take a tour with an experienced local Samui driver/guide.
Muay Thai boxing takes place regularly at the island's stadiums in Chaweng and Lamai.
Numerous animal attractions are dotted around the island, including a crocodile farm, monkey theatre, elephant trekking, a snake farm, an aquarium and a butterfly garden.
Most visitors to the island take a day trip out to the beautiful Ang Thong National Marine Park at least once on their stay in Samui. Boats leave Na Thon several times a day.
Koh Pha Ngan has a full-moon party at the appropriate time each lunar month, and tourists in Samui often hop a slow ferry or speedboat to the nearby island to join in the dusk to dawn high energy dancing and drinking marathon.

ACTIVITIES
Scuba Diving & Snorkeling

Koh Samui’s clear waters are not the best but snorkeling and diving are still popular at Angthong Marine National Park. The dive boats tend to leave from the pier at Bophut

Sea Kayaking

With a coastline composed of mangroves, limestone, small coves, caves and islands, and an interior with rivers lined with cave systems, Koh Samui provides a popular environment for kayaking.

Bird Watching

Samui’s pristine forests are decent for bird watching. The areas are a nesting ground for several rare species of birds.

Sailing Yachting & Cruising

All types of boating have soared in popularity in Samui over the past decade. This is probably the result of the success of the Koh Samui Regatta and day cruises and sunset cruises aboard large catamaran Kia Ora. The only problem with sailing however, in Koh Samui, is that there isn’t much in the way of safe mooring, good support infrastructure and services.

Fishing

Fishers catch the likes of marlin, sailfish barracuda and tuna. The majority of the fishing tours leave from the south-west corner of Koh Tong Krut.

Jungle Trekking

Krabi’s forests with attractive flora and fauna are popular for trekking. The Khao Phanom Bencha National Park and the Khao Pra-Bang Khram are regarded as the two of the favorites among trekkers.

Bungy Jumping

Bungy Jump situated on the Reggae Street side of Chaweng lake.

Thai Boxing

Thai Boxing or Muay Thai has risen in popularity in Koh Samui and there are a number of gyms such as Lamai, WMC and Pinyo.

Trekking & Elephant Trekking

Due to diversity of the landscape and tropically lush forests, Samui is a great place for trekking, either on foot or by elephant

Local Food
In general, Southern Thai food is renowned for its spiciness. Much of the cuisine has its origins in Malay, Indonesian and Indian food. Favorite dishes from the south include Indian-style Muslim curry (massaman), rice noodles in fish curry sauce (Khanom Jeen) and chicken birayani.

Local food in Koh Samui and its province of Surat Thani are salted eggs and rambutan.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:36:59 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1405 on: November 14, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »

enter Nizwah Fort 700am

Muttrah souq is in Muscat while Wadi Tanuf is 20 kms. beyond Nizwa so you'll have to adjust your time schedule.  Nizwa is about 1.5 hours drive from Muscat 

Now that I have seen the ep.10 video, I need to make minor adjustments to my analysis of timing in Oman to see how that affects which flight teams might get. Here it is:

enter Nizwah Fort 815am
Mutrah Souq         1045am (Note: 2.5 hours per Allan Wu; not clear if that includes time being lost by all 4 teams)
Carpet or Count It take about 1 hour 1145am
Wadi Tanuf 2 hours 50 min. drive 235pm
Ida/Tania reach pitstop 250pm
Geoff/Tisha reach pitstop 300pm
Sam/Vince finish after 4 hour penalty 715pm

Assume a 12 hour pitstop, that releases teams to start ep. 11, the Finale, at:
Ida/Tania 250am
Geoff/Tisha 300am
Sam/Vince 730am

However, there is an walk camels in the desert task that will take an unknown amount of time to get to and do it. Assume that the total of those is 1 hour.

With a minimum 2.5 hour drive back to the Muscat Airport, the earliest teams can arrive is:
Ida/Tania 620am
Geoff/Tisha 630am
Sam/Vince 1100am

They all should also be able to  EK6479 MCT DXB 1335 1440(there are also equivalent earlier flights) connecting with  TG522 DXB BKK 1755 0505+1. It is now Sunday June 8. The flights they can catch are from Bangkok on sundya are different than the ones for Saturday:

Koh Chang/Trat 09:00 10:05 BKK TDX PG301
Koh Samui PG103 0600 0705 or TG285 0745 0850 or PG123 0815 0920
Phuket TG203 0730 0850 or TG201 0750 0910 or PG271 0810 0930

EDITOR'S NOTE - this version was redone after seeng the ep.10 video and now mirrors an earlier post that was also modified. It was put here due to its implications for ep.11.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:37:38 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1406 on: November 14, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »
Special thanks to banzai for the video

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #1407 on: November 14, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »
Again special thanks to banzai

To watch in high quality direct link here

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1408 on: November 14, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
Thank you banzai and puddin! :hearts:

Hmmm...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1409 on: November 14, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
Possible kayak rentals:

At least we can see they have blue ones! :lol:

http://www.bluestars.info/english.php

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1410 on: November 14, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
Remember this from kaad back in early October??  (I think cats should read chickens, :lol3:)

During the race, some of the tasks need to pick one team member to do it alone (which mean Roadblock), they can decide which one to do it based on what the clue had said. Although they have different strength , but it's actually hard to make the decision. "Once, the clue said that it needs to swim, so we chose Vince, but it turned out the task also involved mental part;And another time, the clue said something about cat, I love cat, so i got to do that, but i found out ...the task was requesting to move a bunch of cats.(it said "more than ten", i guess it's about 30-80)",Sam said.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,15379.msg355170.html#msg355170

So my guess is that the Roadblock will be right before the Finale Mat... when we see Vince in his bathing suit:

And does that sound like a regret--as in if we had known it was mental we should have chosen Sam? ???

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1411 on: November 14, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »
One important thing I forgot to consider is that leg 11 the final episode of ARA3 is likely to have as its first task walking the camel in the desert, which has to happen on Saturday morning before teams get to Muscat airport. That means there has to be a Hours of Operation, which I expect Vince and Sam will not make at the opening time. Then teams head for Muscat airport and all of them should easily get on MCT DXB EK6479 1335 1440, connecting with DXB BKK TG522 1755 0505+1. Then the connections are on Sunday, not Sunday. They are:

Bangkok to Phuket TG203 0730 0850 or TG201 0750 0910 or PG271 0810 0930
Bangkok to Koh Samui PG103 0600 0705 or TG285 0745 0850 or PG123 0815 0920
Bangkok to Koh Chang/Trat PG301 0900 1005

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1412 on: November 14, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
 :angel:   hmmmmmm...... interesting vegetation.... hmmmmmm

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1413 on: November 15, 2008, 01:24:42 AM »
Are those Swim shoe/flippers (whatever they are called) that the boys are carrying in their hand in that shot? Cos it looks like they both have them, and they are both in just shorts, which suggests they both had to get wet - which rules out it being the roadblock. :duno:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1414 on: November 15, 2008, 01:30:10 AM »
I'm predicting the second all-female team to win the Amazing Race Asia. I have nothing to base it on.

Hmm...isn't it funny how I don't particularly ROOT for any of the TARasia f/f teams, and now there is a possibility of F/F teams  being 2 for 3 in winning?

Michael, how well do you do in mathematics? My system of counting F/F teams in the ARA3 stops at one. Are you saying that this team is so good that it has 4 times the probability of either Geoff/Tisha or Sam/Vince (what is necessary to make Ida/Tania's probability of winning 2/3)?

If you count Geoff as a girl then Michael's numbers work :tup:

I think what he actually means though is that if I/T win this time, then a FF team have won 2 out of the 3 TARA seasons.

Go Ida and Tania :jumpy: :hearts: :wohoo:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1415 on: November 15, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »
I'm predicting the second all-female team to win the Amazing Race Asia. I have nothing to base it on.

Hmm...isn't it funny how I don't particularly ROOT for any of the TARasia f/f teams, and now there is a possibility of F/F teams  being 2 for 3 in winning?

Michael, how well do you do in mathematics? My system of counting F/F teams in the ARA3 stops at one. Are you saying that this team is so good that it has 4 times the probability of either Geoff/Tisha or Sam/Vince (what is necessary to make Ida/Tania's probability of winning 2/3)?

I think what he actually means though is that if I/T win this time, then a FF team have won 2 out of the 3 TARA seasons.

haha, yup Mrs Shrek, that is what I meant  :jam:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1416 on: November 15, 2008, 01:33:07 AM »

haha, yup Mrs Shrek, that is what I meant  :jam:

That Geoff is a girl? :flirt:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 15, 2008, 01:36:37 AM »
haha, BOTH.  :neener:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1418 on: November 15, 2008, 06:18:55 AM »
They are back to Thailand.

So far the spoilers i've heard's that Sam/Vince will win because of the Sony Ad. Adrian and Collin had an ad last year and they won, this year Sam/Vince had the ad too. But this theory was later proved wrong when Henry and Bernie's ad came out too.

Another one which i've heard is that Geoff and Tisha won. They both went on air onto some radio broadcasting show on live and the host of the show accidentally let it slip that they won and "Congratulated" them. However, this can be the host of the show playing up and lying too.

Imagine Ida and Tania winning. That would make me love TAR Asia so much more!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Offline Janetsaurus_Regina

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1419 on: November 15, 2008, 11:26:58 AM »

enter Nizwah Fort 700am

Now that I have seen the ep.10 video, I need to make minor adjustments to my analysis of timing in Oman to see how that affects which flight teams might get. Here it is:

Assume a 12 hour pitstop, that releases teams to start ep. 11, the Finale, at:
Ida/Tania 250am
Geoff/Tisha 300am
Sam/Vince 730am

However, there is an walk camels in the desert task that will take an unknown amount of time to get to and do it. Assume that the total of those is 1 hour.

Ida/Tania 620am
Geoff/Tisha 630am
Sam/Vince 1100am

I don't know much about the sunrise/sunset times in Oman during the race but they can't  possibly have started their tasks at 2:50 in the morning right? It would still have been dark then i think.  I believe they went about their camel task and offroading in the sand dunes or something first before they left that part of the world. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:20:12 PM by Janetsaurus_Regina »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1420 on: November 15, 2008, 03:40:53 PM »
Janet, you are quite right again. I should have put in a Hours of Operation to something like 6am in the desrt, but it has little significance on what happens next. Teams if delayed some hours for daylight should still make the 130pm plane.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1421 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »
Here are maps germane to Koh Samui Island and its Bophut Beach province:

Koh Samui Island Map

While on that page, look for Bophut Beach on the left hand side and click there for Bophut Beach map (I cannot get a url for it or I would copy it here).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1422 on: November 15, 2008, 10:29:36 PM »
That's a great map page and we're going to need some of it for TAR 14 too... thanks!!

But a friend :thankyou: has just reminded me of something I should have remembered.

We learned earlier this season that the Singha banter vids were filmed at Santiburi Resort, and it was also reported that this resort was the "Elimination Station" for the TARA racers as well. So seems reasonable to think that since the location fits that this may also be the Pitstop?

That would make Maenam Beach the right one!

from apskip's link

Now....off to find a sand dune! :funny:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1423 on: November 16, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
Does anyone know if/where extended Pit Stops are this season, there's obviously some somewhere, otherwise this would only be two weeks long, but Allan seems to be saying "12 hours" in every episode-starting spiel this season, and I can't figure it out.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1424 on: November 18, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »

Fuzzie's look on her face tells me that Geoff and Tisha does not win. :yess: