Author Topic: Speculation on season 13  (Read 132526 times)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
Re: Speculation
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
GMAN, if you read the Timetables and Flight Information thread, maybe you could answer that question. My answers include:

Madrid
Lisbon
London
Paris
Frankfurt

All of these have nonstop flights from Sao Paulo that I have listed in a posting. However, the most interesting possiblity is going to Auckland New Zealand via either Santiago Chile or Buenos Aires, both of which have nonstop service that is also listed in a separate posting.

Of course, my logic of nonstop flights proved faulty on the first flights from LAX, but is less likely to prove faulty going long distances over the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean as they are no reasonable transit points along the way. We could easily have a connecting flight to get to Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, or Rio de Janeiro before hopping over the Atlantic or to Santiago or Buenos Aires before hopping over the Pacific.

Flying from S. America to New Zealand would certainly fit into "new twists and turns" for TAR13.  So perhaps a visit to either Argentina or Santiago for an elimination before the leap across the pond.

No thougts on a hop to Africa after S. America?  How does one get to the Verde Islands?  That would be another new location.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »
if NZ I can be of help with this, I live in Tauranga about 2 hrs from Auckland, and its no bother to go there!!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
GMAN, if you read the Timetables and Flight Information thread, maybe you could answer that question. My answers include:

Madrid
Lisbon
London
Paris
Frankfurt

All of these have nonstop flights from Sao Paulo that I have listed in a posting. However, the most interesting possiblity is going to Auckland New Zealand via either Santiago Chile or Buenos Aires, both of which have nonstop service that is also listed in a separate posting.

Of course, my logic of nonstop flights proved faulty on the first flights from LAX, but is less likely to prove faulty going long distances over the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean as they are no reasonable transit points along the way. We could easily have a connecting flight to get to Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, or Rio de Janeiro before hopping over the Atlantic or to Santiago or Buenos Aires before hopping over the Pacific.

Flying from S. America to New Zealand would certainly fit into "new twists and turns" for TAR13.  So perhaps a visit to either Argentina or Santiago for an elimination before the leap across the pond.

No thougts on a hop to Africa after S. America?  How does one get to the Verde Islands?  That would be another new location.

I think the only thing we could feasibly rule out is yet another trip to southern Africa via Johannesburg. I think Western Africa might be a good choice though I'm not sure if the trip to Burkina Faso last time has put a damper on that. In particular, Ghana and Mauritania or Morocco (as well as the Cape Verdes).

The best way to get to the Cape Verdes would be through Dakar or Paris, perhaps also Madrid.

EDIT: Turns out the islands are a ways more connected than anticipated. The biggies in Europe are covered as are quite a few other European cities (including Verona and Dusseldorf, both places where I'd love to see the race head to), but in more relevant avenues, there's also a direct flight from Fortaleza to Praia. Interesting...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:50:36 PM by zackattack308 »

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »

I think the only thing we could feasibly rule out is yet another trip to southern Africa via Johannesburg. I think Western Africa might be a good choice though I'm not sure if the trip to Burkina Faso last time has put a damper on that. In particular, Ghana and Mauritania or Morocco (as well as the Cape Verdes).

The best way to get to the Cape Verdes would be through Dakar or Paris, perhaps also Madrid.

EDIT: Turns out the islands are a ways more connected than anticipated. The biggies in Europe are covered as are quite a few other European cities (including Verona and Dusseldorf, both places where I'd love to see the race head to), but in more relevant avenues, there's also a direct flight from Fortaleza to Praia. Interesting...
[/quote]

Now that is real interesting.  Fortaleza is easily reached from Sao Paulo.  So this would be a really good new wrinkle for TAR to follow.  Let's keep our eyes open on this one.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
what is the best flight to reach Fortaleza from Sao Paulo
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
what is the best flight to reach Fortaleza from Sao Paulo

There are about 20 flights a day between GRU and FOR on the domestic Brazilian airline TAM. First flight is around 1:30PM and the last flight at 11:59PM.  The flight time is between 3 hours and 20 minutes and seven hours depending on the number of stops (it is a local airline).

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »
I want to respond to several points raised by GMAN:

I think the only thing we could feasibly rule out is yet another trip to southern Africa via Johannesburg. - I agree.

I'm not sure if the trip to Burkina Faso last time has put a damper on that(Western Africa). - I consider Western Africa unlikely because most flights in are from Paris or other European cities and because it was visited in AR12.

The best way to get to the Cape Verdes would be through Dakar or Paris, perhaps also Madrid. - the best way to get to Cape Verde Islands is through the country that owns them, Portugal. There are 4 daily flights from Lisbon to Praia and 3 daily direct returns. However, why would anybody backtrack over a thousand miles to the southwest once they were is Lisbon? I wouldn't.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 10:09:58 AM »

I think the only thing we could feasibly rule out is yet another trip to southern Africa via Johannesburg. - I agree.

I'm not sure if the trip to Burkina Faso last time has put a damper on that(Western Africa). - I consider Western Africa unlikely because most flights in are from Paris or other European cities and because it was visited in AR12.

The best way to get to the Cape Verdes would be through Dakar or Paris, perhaps also Madrid. - the best way to get to Cape Verde Islands is through the country that owns them, Portugal. There are 4 daily flights from Lisbon to Praia and 3 daily direct returns. However, why would anybody backtrack over a thousand miles to the southwest once they were is Lisbon? I wouldn't.

They've done it as part of the actual race route before in TAR6 going from Stockholm to Dakar and (and to a lesser degree when they went from Quito to Santiago to Calama in AS). As far as for connecting flights, there are the journey between South America and Europe that the show has had as well as going from Kuwait to London to Mauritius (IIRC). Besides, BVM said that the route is intense and extreme and all that. Sure he's a lying liar who lies, but I believe him about that.

Offline gingerman28

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »

TACV the national airline of the Cape Verde Islands now flies direct to three cities in Brazil: Recife, Natal and Fortaleza.  They also have direct service to Lisbon and Madrid.  And to Senegal.  The internatioal airport is in Praia, the capital of CVI, the airport code is RAI.

If the teams are going to another site in Brazil, Recife with its african influence on its culture and the closeness of the Amazon might be a good spot for the teams to travel to from Sao Paulo.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »
I agree with the desirability of visiting the Amazon, which means trips out of Manaus, not Recife on the coast. See my TACV flight schedule in the Timetables and flight Information thread for details on how often TACV flies into the Cape Verde Islands from where. It does NOT include anywhere in Brazil except Fortaleza.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:58:49 PM by apskip »

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
Given the shift to Sao Paolo, I think that Salvador and Recife are (is a) fairly good follow up destinations (assuming Sao Paolo isn't just a transit point to another city).

Well I'll be damned. Now to see if it was just a lucky guess...we're going to Copenhagen perhaps?  :duno:

And if that's true, then we just might finally have an all-female team win  :jam:

In slightly more serious news, we're still at square one somewhat; going out of Salvador there are flights out to the usual subjects in the Latin countries - London, Miami, Lisbon, Madrid which, while infrequent (many 1x per week), can all connect to various other cities. Not to mention, they could easily fly back to Sao Paolo and go to lots of places from there. The last time they went to Brazil they followed up with a trip to Russia, though the majority of trips to South America are followed with trips to southern Africa. All I know is, I doubt they're going to India from Salvador  :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Okay--arr SaoPaulo 4/23 AM and by 4/24 they are in Salvador?

Would they have just transited in Sao Paulo or do we think they may have actually stayed there a day?

Ideas?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
Closest I can find at flickr
Salvador, elevador lacerda
Taken on April 21, 2008, another

April 22
April 28

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »
Okay--arr SaoPaulo 4/23 AM and by 4/24 they are in Salvador?

Would they have just transited in Sao Paulo or do we think they may have actually stayed there a day?

Ideas?

It could be like many premieres (TAR 6 and TAR 7 immediately come to mind, though there are others) where there's a task or two (or even a roadblock) in Sao Paolo, then something to carry the racers over through the night, be it charter buses/flights or hours of operation bunching in Sao Paolo and then continuing the leg in Salvador the next morning.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
Good job apskip & Zach  :jumpy:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Real Spoilers Only!*
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
I've attached a different from normal view of elevador lacerda, and a pic of Terreiro de Jesus

Credit for pics below
http://deputy-dog.com/2007/10/02/interesting-elevators/
http://gordonye.com/travels.html

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »
Teams arrive in Sao Paulo on Wednesday morning of the 23rd.

We then have them on the 24th in Salvador.

So the question is this part of leg one or part of leg 2.

So far in the shows 12 season history, teams have arrived and completed a leg on the same day in the following seasons.

Season 9.  All others have teams arriving in country and having to to search for clues, do tasks and travel over a two day period.

Out of seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12.  There has never been a detour in during the first day.  They typical must find route marker, then travel elsewhere to draw numbers for departures for the next day (Seasons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11 and 12).    Season 8 at teams automatically get their position when they assembled their camp.  Only one season featured teams performing a roadblock on the first day (season 10).  Out of these seasons only season 1 has had a shuttle flight ben the method of travel on the 2nd day. 

In season 9 (when the leg was the first day teams) teams first arrived at 10:15am and the teams finished between 5:34pm to 7:28pm.

What would help to discover is what type on the 24th teams did tasks.  An am time would almost assure us that it was part of the first leg (since between arriving and doing tasks, tehir wouldn't be enough time for the typical 12 hour pit stop).

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:09 AM »
news

Thursday, 24 of April of 2008 Reality international show records special in Salvador During three days, Salvador will be the scene of reality American show "the Maratona", program produced for the Planet Film Productions and visa for more than 50 million people per year. 

From the spoiler thread. It seems like they were there for 3 days, which I would assume would probably include a pitstop then? I guess this might help the scheduling and flight detectives work out when the racers were back on the move again?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Real Spoilers Only!*
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 01:24:07 AM »
Oh thank you HiFi :hfive: :yess: and good catch Slowhatch!

eta:

source

oh if they actually take the ferry

*the Salvador ferry boat system is having big problems with maintenance and upkeep, and therefore with the schedule.  There are hours-long waits for crossings.  Unless you absolutely have to get a car across you are better off taking the pequena lancha from the Terminal Marítimo.*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:38:29 AM by puddin »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 01:50:50 AM »
Could they go Sao Paulo = 23rd
Salvador = 24th

Episode 2:

Salvador = 2 days? unless they havent got their facts straight

Offline Dragoondaniel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 04:25:54 AM »
Personally, I'm hoping that the pit-stop won't be in Sao Paolo. Leg 1 covering Bahia and Sao Paolo would be awesome.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »
I think its Salvador Dragoon since the race started 22 and they were in Sao Paolo early morning 23rd and Salvador is the 24th!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
Could they go Sao Paulo = 23rd
Salvador = 24th

Episode 2:

Salvador = 2 days? unless they havent got their facts straight

KiwiJay, it is common in Amazing Races for there to be a Rest Day quite early in the race. That would explain how 2 days could become 3 days.

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
news

Thursday, 24 of April of 2008 Reality international show records special in Salvador During three days, Salvador will be the scene of reality American show "the Maratona", program produced for the Planet Film Productions and visa for more than 50 million people per year. 

From the spoiler thread. It seems like they were there for 3 days, which I would assume would probably include a pitstop then? I guess this might help the scheduling and flight detectives work out when the racers were back on the move again?

Yep. They could also send out some crews in advance to film establishing shots or Phil's task descriptions which could add another day. (hence why the filming job listing that Kogs found mentions starting on the 21st)

I think the article mentioned that they arrived on the morning of the 24th, so it's very likely that they could finish in the afternoon of the 24th/evening depending on the tasks and teams, which would have them leaving in the morning of the 25th. If the 23rd were used for filming purposes, then there's our 3 days.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
I need something/somewhere to look for :help:, can someone give me ideas please? Way too much time on my hands and I need a lead ??? .......is WRP now running under "The Marathon"? :lol: