Author Topic: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)  (Read 664894 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #400 on: May 20, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
just butting in here another fwiw

Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Just to catch up....
So I just got back into Thailand from Cambodia.... which is why i haven't posted in a while. Ends up that Cambodia is not a telecommunications mecca. Anyways, everything has kinda been a whirlwind. Covered 3 countries in 2 weeks and it kinda feels like we are on "The Amazing Race".... and i mean literally. Yesterday we were in Angkor Wat (more of that story later... it is AMAZING... you should look up pictures... seriously a Wonder of the Ancient world--- i thought better than the stuff i saw in Rome) The Amazing Race was filming at Angkor the same day we were there. AND THEN... we end up at the airport to fly to Bangkok from Cambodia... and who was on our airplane.... thats right.... 3 teams competing on the next season of the Amazing Race. We are sitting there and then all the sudden all these camera and sound guys are filming everything. And the producer guy was sitting in the seat right behind me and vida. CRAZY!! So now we consider ourselves official unofficial cast members. And before all this started I was telling vida that i thought it felt like we were on the amazing race.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
Okay, so what they saw on May 5th at Angkor Wat was Teams starting their next leg.  Maybe one clue to find but then it's off to the airport.  Remember, there are teams on Bangkok Airways 924 leaving Siem Reap at 9:50 am and arriving in Bangkok at 10:45 am based on the other flight spotting on the way to Delhi.  Here are all the flights to Bangkok:
#            leaves       arrives
PG 924  9:50 am    10:45 am
PG 906 12:50 pm   2:00 pm
PG 914 2:30 pm     3:40 pm
PG 908 7:35 pm     8:45 pm
PG 910 8:15 pm     9:25 pm

Did we determine that all the teams are on the same flight from Bangkok to Delhi?  At least some were spotted on Air India flight 854 that leaves Bangkok at 1:30 pm.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2008, 10:30:22 PM »
 :duno: I bet peach will ask  :lol: ....so what are the odds they saw the same 3 teams?

The Air India flight 854 blogger

*And I could easily pick out who the crew were and the various couples
*Some were partners,
*some were family,
*some were friends
*give one couple your guidebook/when you go to hand your book to the gentleman
*A pair of young jewish boys

And the newest blogger above says 3 teams no specifics

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »
Jetstar Airways does exist as a airline and it does fly 3K 595 SIN REP at 0600 0705 since their own website says so. Other more global airline websites typically very useful for the type of work I do do not recognize the existence of Jetstar Airways on their systems.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
Check again.  it's Jetstar Asia.  Not Jetstar Airways.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:42:15 PM by puddin »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »
:duno: I bet peach will ask  :lol: ....so what are the odds they saw the same 3 teams?

She knows me too well!  :-[ :-[

Message already sent! :nuala:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:53:31 PM by TexasLady »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

nikita

« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2008, 05:56:27 AM »
Yes, they can arrive on May 4th.  Here is how: 

Fly Thai Airways International  990 leaving Auckland  on May 3rd at 1:15 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 9:00 pm
Fly  Bangkok Airway 903 leaving Bangkok on May 4th at 8:00 am and arriving in Siam Reap at 9:00 am

OR , for an even later departure (ie it gives more time for the Auckland leg):

Fly Emirates 433 leaving Auckland on May 3rd at 4:55 pm and arriving in Brisbane at 6:35 pm
Fly  Thai Airways International  992 leaving Brisbane on May 3rd at 11:59 pm and arriving in Bangkok at 5:59 am
Fly  Bangkok Airway 903 leaving Bangkok on May 4th at 8:00 am and arriving in Siam Reap at 9:00 am

These flights give them time to land and get to the Wat by 11:30 am (first known sighting).

I was on PG903 flight on May 4 and it was 10 minutes late. I did not notice any teams. I did see a camera man loitering at Passport Control in Siem Reap Airport... 

Let's work backwards here. In order to be seen at Angkor Wat late morning of Sunday May 4, then PG905 BKK REP 1100 1220 arrives too late. And Nikita assures us that no teams were on PG903 BKK REP 0800 0900. The only other possibilities to arrive that morning is SQ5026 SIN REP 1025 1135 (clearly too late). Arrivals on QV512 from Vientiane at 0925, VN809 from HoChiMinh City at 0945, and MU745 from NNG (Nanning China) at 1030 all have no possibility of morning connections in from Singapore through those places and the same would be true from BKK in addition to the fact that it makes no sense to travel other than the short direct route BKK REP.

Add all of that up and my conlcusion is that the teams that were sighted by the photographer had to be in Siem Rep the evening of May 3. There is no way to get there in time on May 4 if we believe Nikita's eyewitness report (which I obviously do but others apparently do not). In combination with previous information, this means that nobody leaving Auckland after midnight turning from May 2 to May 3 would get to Siem Reap in time.

Back that up to Auckland and here's what you get:
May 2 AKL SIN SQ282 2355 0645+1/May 3 SIN BKK SQ970 0845 1010, then any of these flight on BangkokAirways BKK REP:
   PG905 1100 1220  or  PG913 1510 1430  PG907 1740 1900  or  PG909 1820 1940   
or
May 2 AKL HKG NZ39 2330 0645+1/May 3 HKG BKK CX713 0855 1035, then the same flights shown above except not PG905.

That's it. End of story. Teams have to depart Auckland on Friday night May 2 if they are to be at Ankgor Wat in the late morning of Sunday May 4. The only possible alternative, going by road overnight the roughly 300 miles east from Bangkok to Siem Reap, is not something that previous Amazing Races have allowed.

OK folks lets calm down. Apart from PG903 is there ANY other way the teams can get to Cambodia on May 4th? As I have said there are other connecting points other than Bangkok. There's also Singapore and Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur and also via Ho Chi Minh. If there was an Auckland leg then can that have been part of a superleg? Just a thought. I will reiterate I did not notice any teams on PG903 from Bangkok but it MAY not mean they weren't there. However I can share this info now that I did see teams enroute to Siem Reap from Tonle Sap in those blue trucks with the African American couple in the last truck. Our guide only told us there was filming going on in the area. I'm still trying to get my time frame right it may be around 10-11am May 4. That's what I remember. If you guys are wondering why I didn't share this info earlier is because I was not able to get a photo plus the trucks were within minutes of each other. My friends and I also thought it was a new radical concept of transporting tourists so we thought nothing of it even after our guides comment and until I logged on the net in Phuket, Thailand.  To be honest I was kicking myself big time. The only we can do is wait til the show airs. I do apologize for not reporting this. Oh and  it takes 8 hours from Bangkok to Siem Reap by road. We asked our travel agent if we could take this route as a cheaper and more adventurous mode of travel.

Puddin, I agree with you regarding Cambodia not being a mecca of communications.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:27:18 AM by nikita »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2008, 07:24:37 AM »

puddin, as you know from your experience watching the Amazing Races of the past, there are many times when teams that are lagging have to get onto a second or sometimes even a third flight. Most of the time this is the result of aribitrary restrictions placed by World Race Productions, but some of the time it is airlines reaching their real capacity. I do not find the observations from the newest blogger contradictory to those facts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #408 on: May 21, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
Bangkok to Siem Reap by land is not easy. It's unlikely teams could have made it in time.

Unless teams leave Bangkok in the morning (5 hours by bus) it would be impossible to make the border crossing at Aranyaprathet, which closes at 8pm. From there it's negotiating with scheming taxi drivers (if we're looking at the fastest way) for another 4 hour trip over roads in hardly the best condition. If teams don't overnight in Aranyaprathet or Poipet - the Cambodia side of the border - we're looking at a 9am departure from Bangkok at the very latest, and that's on the morning of the 3rd.

Oh heck, just for the occasion:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:43:06 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #409 on: May 21, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
Love a new Map anytime!!  :yess:

But what does the "Indy" mean please? :-[

Well, glad we at least looked at the land option. I remember when we missed the ferry to Italy last time because we were so fixated on the flights! :groan:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #410 on: May 21, 2008, 10:53:19 AM »
I Love the map too Neobie!  :sucks

and peach as in ..Indy 500 ;)

and apskips FYI, I was replying to Chateau

Did we determine that all the teams are on the same flight from Bangkok to Delhi?  At least some were spotted on Air India flight 854 that leaves Bangkok at 1:30 pm.

puddin, as you know from your experience watching the Amazing Races of the past, there are many times when teams that are lagging have to get onto a second or sometimes even a third flight. Most of the time this is the result of aribitrary restrictions placed by World Race Productions, but some of the time it is airlines reaching their real capacity. I do not find the observations from the newest blogger contradictory to those facts.

Offline moox03

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
I was thinking that "Indy" referred to Indiana Jones...and the upcoming movie (it's in the same font and all...)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »
I was thinking that "Indy" referred to Indiana Jones...and the upcoming movie (it's in the same font and all...)
Uh duh to me! lmao! Guess thats what I get for being all sorts of a "race" fan.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Uh duh to me! lmao! Guess thats what I get for being all sorts of a "race" fan.

:lol: :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #414 on: May 22, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »
Bringing this over from Sucks (hey--I'm only the messenger!)

1): dylandaniels wrote: 650AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Melbourne,Australia and i was at the torquay beach which has the biggest waves and most popular beach in Victoria and there was amazing race producers organizing a date they can book the beach for a dettour or road block or something i tried my hardest to take the form of the bench to see what date and stuff it was but couldnt get it.

2): dylandaniels wrote: 705AM:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I was in Auckland 3 weeks ago and i suddnely saw 2 camera mean running around Mt.Kallua and i looked and saw a team running i follwed them and when i had the chnace when they were waiting for a taxi i took a pic from behind as the camera men kept telling me to get away i couldnt get a pic of the guy i heard the girl screming out hes name and she was saying george so hes name is george but i coundt catch her name

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #415 on: May 22, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
Brief commentary here:

We know there seems to be no time for Melbourne this race, so possibly could be a local race...

That pack and those flip-flops seem all wrong for the race...

Asking for more info on Mt Kallua  ;) since I can't seem to find such a place....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:37:57 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #416 on: May 22, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »
Interesting peach!

Heres more Siem Reap
Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2008
A day in Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Phnom Penh is the capital of Cambodia and it’s a 6-hour bus ride from Siem Reap. We were hoping to take the Mekong Express bus or plane going there but both were fully booked so we ended up taking a regular airconditioned bus which turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we chanced upon the shoot of Amazing Race right across where our bus was parked!:) Photo-taking isn't actually allowed but we were able to snap some shots from the bus.:)

(click for full view) pic data if correct  DateTime : 2008:05:04 08:18:28 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:25:53 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #417 on: May 22, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
This is as close to a match to the truck I've found so far (blog here). They seem to be used to take people to the floating villages and forests on the Tonle Sap coastline during the muddy season.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #418 on: May 22, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »
NEW New Zealand INFO FROM MY SOURCE

"Phil Keoghan and team arrived on what I think was the 2 May. I
personally saw him only the afternoon/evening of this day. However,
other staff members report they have seen the team also on this day.
Phil Keoghan flew out in the early hours of the next day (possibly 3rd
of May) - 5am ish. Flights leaving that early in the morning are usually
just flying to Australia.
Some airport security staff saw the rest of the team fly out in dribs
and drabs on the "3rd of May", with the last team leaving around 7pm ish
that evening."

"they left during the course of the day from around 12:30pm onwards - most took Emirates flights (of which there are 3 daily departures each day - all of which go thru Australia. One to Melbourne then Dubai, One to Sydney then Singapore, One to Brisbane, Bangkok. There was still one team here around 7pm waiting to fly out."

This is quite different from the earlier report and indicates that AR13 teams did tasks somehere on the North Island of New Zealand through late evening of May 2. After a pitstop, some teams were ready to depart for Singapore or Bankgkok, some direct and some through connection in Australia. The Timetables and Flight Information thread is mostly up-to-date on this.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:44:50 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #419 on: May 22, 2008, 07:55:06 PM »
Thanks apskip for sharing that, and please thank your source for us as well!

So combined with selwyn's excellent info as well, and mez's radio report, I think we can all agree that there was a NZ leg for sure. :happy:

Now we just need to find them! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #420 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
This shot was taken between 8:13 and 9:16 am (assumes May 4th).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #421 on: May 23, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
Interesting Chateau, thank you! The African American couple has them at the task at 2:30 pm according to the eyewitness *wow*

Message from Chrisrae:

It was an African American couple. I just uploaded the only pick I have to my blog entry "cambodia's culinary delights." It's the last picture in the series.

I saw them after arriving near seim reap by boat from battambang, traveling through lake tonle sap. It was about 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday. They were at the water's edge. We were kept away but I saw the guy stacking some baskets I've seen them use to transport pigs and she was holding their bags. They then jumped in awaiting trucks and were transported with the cameraman and got out near a wat outside of town. I kept onto town so I don't know what happened next.

Hope that helps!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #422 on: May 23, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »
This is as close to a match to the truck I've found so far (blog here). They seem to be used to take people to the floating villages and forests on the Tonle Sap coastline during the muddy season.

I forget where I snagged this? maybe pbase? anyway some more pictures of what the teams "transportation" might look like.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:44:34 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #423 on: May 23, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »
HA!

I just saw this:

pic data if correct  DateTime : 2008:05:04 08:18:28

So, I guess I concur. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »
HA!

I just saw this:

pic data if correct  DateTime : 2008:05:04 08:18:28

So, I guess I concur. 

You know when I read that Chateau I was thinking military time and was thinking the photo taker had not adjusted their camera for the correct time! lmao

*Indy= not Indy 500 but Indiana Jones, not military time...now puddin steps away from the computer to get some fresh air*