Author Topic: ABC’s Subliminal Advertising  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
ABC’s Subliminal Advertising
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »
That wasn’t your television breaking down during last night’s Lost. Just ABC’s marketing department trying to get your attention.

Oh, you didn’t catch it? At the end of at least three commercial breaks, just after the quick promos for other ABC shows aired and just before the screen flipped back to Lost, a millisecond blast for The Mole showed up.

You may have seen that The Mole’s thumb print or logo appear. An ABC spokesperson confirms to us those “flash teases” – they don’t want to call it subliminal advertising – were not a figment of your imagination, and that they will show up again as the network moves forward with plans to relaunch the show.

Perhaps you’ll also find yourself suddenly hungry for some Orville Redenbacher and a Coke.

http://www.jossip.com/abcs-subliminal-advertising-calls-you-back-to-anderson-coopers-old-show-20080321/

Offline KrisCe

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: ABC’s Subliminal Advertising
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:30 PM »
I just want to say... in the long run isn't that the best way to advertise for "The Mole".  Those little hidden things that make the show as great as it is.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
:welcome2: to RFF KrisCe--glad you found us!

I can't wait for the Mole! :dancer:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline rosesrred

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »
:welcome2: to RFF KrisCe--glad you found us!

I can't wait for the Mole! :dancer:

Yes for sure Welcome KrisCe   I can't wait for the Mole either I was one of the rare ones that really liked the Celebrity Mole.  Hey I even liked I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.   :-[

Offline careybear

• BB Livefeeds Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • reality tv junkie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
I just want to say... in the long run isn't that the best way to advertise for "The Mole".  Those little hidden things that make the show as great as it is.

welcome welcome
Having some Spring Fun

Offline GlamGirl3399

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Big Brother is BACK!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »
I saw one of those last night while watching tv, and at first I was so confused! I had to rewind the show to see it again in slow motion! I'm so excited that it's coming back! I hadn't heard until now, and so the logo I saw makes total sense!!!
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Offline vanillalatte

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »
Looks to me like ABC is trying to solve the DVR/Tivo conundrum.  By flashing the tiny promo just before flipping back to the show, this means that even if viewers FF through the other promos, they have to see the flash in order to catch the very beginning of the show as it comes back from commercial break. 

If this works for them, we might start seeing more of this in the future.  I'm sure this will spark a whole new set of discussions over just exactly what constitutes "subliminal messaging", because I believe imike24 is correct that out and out subliminal advertising has been banned by the FCC.  ABC will argue that the flash promo is not subliminal because it's obvious and long enough to enter the viewers consciousness.  So, if this continues, the could open a new can of worms for networks and advertisers.