Author Topic: Blast from the Past! Previous Season Timeline Questions....  (Read 23492 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Blast from the Past! Previous Season Timeline Questions....
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 02:18:32 AM »
I missed that 12:50 am tag!  :groan:

And to get my 71 mile estimate I had to side step Google Maps (because it looked like it was going a longer-than-needed way) and make my own path.  I'm just wondering why they made them wait an extra hour.  Too bad we didn't do this before TARcon.  We could have asked Teri & Ian. 

Good point on the rain in Innsbruck etc.  What you have there makes a lot more sense than what I was working with.   :tup:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 08:50:51 AM »
CHATEAU, have you actually been to that part of Germany? I have. To assume that there are autobahn is not valid. There aren't any in that part of Bavaria. It's all country, like you might find in Vermont. Maximum speed limits(yes, they they have them in Germany) are 100 kph(62 mph) on open roads and 50 kph(31 mph) in towns, so average speed before route confirmation would be maybe 75 kph(46 mph). They had a low probability of getting to Frederichshaven in 91 minutes, with the necessity of confirming their route along the way since there is no single road to take.

Offline strategery

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »
About the statue: still haven't found a sculptor name or title yet.

In my haste I forgot to thank slowhatch as well, whose efforts are also greatly appreciated. That's exactly the kind of info about the Zurich statue I was hoping we could find. Any recollection, serendipity, of that info? There's a word for such lucky coincidences, I just wish I could remember what it was. ;) ETA: And thanks to you too, apskip -- sorry, didn't mean to leave anybody out!

And to get my 71 mile estimate I had to side step Google Maps (because it looked like it was going a longer-than-needed way) and make my own path.

Yeah, I remember thinking that Google or Mapquest was giving me a funky route, but I think I tried asking for "shortest route" and the estimated time was actually a bit longer -- I guess due to smaller/slower roads. And no worries on your other speculation -- it's always good to have you out there pushing the envelope.

We could have asked Teri & Ian.  

We still can -- they both post on TWoP from time to time, and have been very nice about answering my questions. (Ian in particular provided some nice details about an edited-out helicopter flight in Hawaii.) Unfortunately, a one-hour change is a detail they might well have forgotten considering it's now nearly 5 years since filming.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:12:23 AM by strategery »

Offline strategery

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »
Whoops -- that Weather Underground page, which I thought was giving me the scoop on nearby Kempten, is actually for Altenstadt, which is much much farther away from Fussen. I guess Kempten didn't have info that far back so it just redirected me. So . . . so much for that nailing down things regarding Andre/Damon's arrival. But I'm still sticking with the arrival dates based on the Innsbruck weather.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »
How does the rest of the TAR3 fabric hold together?  If we are off by a day in one place it usually starts to make wrinkles in the timeline down the road.

On the rain, I saw that Zach was wearing his yellow rain jacket at the table during the ESM shots shown in the next leg.  Also, there are water drops on their cars' windows as they start leg (looking for the farm).

Thanks Apskip about the autobahn stuff.  I have never driven in Germany  :(  I've been in and out of Munich but that was in trains and planes.  It was also late August and it was also raining!   :lol:  That's why I flew back to Berlin.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 02:52:16 PM »
I asked Ian at TARcon if he would be willing to help us with this kind of stuff and he said yes. So as soon as I can find the email he so kindly gave me ??? I'll drop him a note and ask him to stop by!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
 :wtg: :bow:

Thanks Peach!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »
Message sent! Keep your fingers crossed!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »
Sorry for late reply. It took some time for me to try to find the map I have.

Here are more photos from Grindalwald.

I think the location of Chalet Arnika is near Alpenblick (see pic below), I really can't remember the exact area since I just got there by luck. But I just check my photos and I think it's there. (See the photos for details)

Oh, I have to say that I was pissed when I walked to Gletscherschlucht and found that it was closed because of possible stone fall!!  :groan:  How unlucky I was.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 07:26:17 AM »
More photos..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »
Wonderful job, serendipity! I think that will be just what he needs!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
Thanks to serendipity I can make a likely path that racers could have taken from the William Tell Raodblock up the Pit Stop at Chalet Arnika.

See that it was quite a hike!   :groan:  1.5 miles ! and with a 425 ft rise in elevation!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 06:00:51 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline serendipity

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 02:22:54 AM »
Chateau, your GE map is really nice!!
You are right, it's quite a hike!

And you got the exact location of the roadblock, I just watched that episode again and confirmed it.
When John Vito and Jill finished the task, they showed them picking bags and running, I can see the exact houses (pointed in arrows) in the picture below. I don't know how to capture an image from the video clip though..

I also found the wrong turn made by Ken/Gerard! They climbed those steps and this made them fall behind the twins and Flo/Zach.

I took many pictures during my trip to Switzerland, I also found the vault in Zurich and tried to count the trees, and I went to Montreux to find the Chateau de Chillon, but failed to find the place where Flo threw her helmet! :jam:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 01:07:16 PM »
Serendipity, I'm so envious of your visit to Grindalwald.  That TAR tracking looks like you had a lot of fun.

Message sent! Keep your fingers crossed!

Peach, can you add that it would be great to hear what the clue said about the pit stop at Chalet Arnika.  Did it show a map or give a street address or anything other than the name?  I'm curious about the level of work that teams had to do (besides hiking).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »
Chateau--I gave Ian a link to the forum and a link to this thread in particular with an invitation to come join in the fun over here! But if I hear directly instead--I'll be glad to. :js:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 12:19:38 AM »
It didn't take long, once I switched the search focus from art and sculpture to street names like Siedengasse and Bahnhofstrasse. The Einkaufende Zurcher Familie, also called the "zuri-familie," by Kurt Laurenz Metzler.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 12:39:38 AM »
You are too modest! That was tricky--good job! :wohoo:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
Nice work Slowhatch.   :tup:

I like the translation:  "Zürich Family out Shopping"

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
Thanks for all the pictures, Serendipity.  :waves: The paragliding looks like fun. I found an opposite view of the landing field "grund" (go here, click Flight-Region>Landing fields), but I'm not sure if it's what we want.
Was there a name or address for the counting-vault?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
I have a friend who will be in Quito in two weeks and is willing to maybe play detective for us. Do we need any info from there??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
 :zz:

:happy:

Have her find the parking garage that teams had to get their cars from for the drive to Yanahurco.

It should be somewhere down in the old quarter of town.

:zz:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »
I saw this searching today..
Ventana Pictures

more pictures at the link

Offline strategery

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »
Hey, folks -- just wanted to apologize for starting this up and then dropping off the face of the earth. Real life has gotten in the way -- nothing bad, but between work and family have been super-busy. Sorry in particular to georgiapeach for not getting back to you about Quito. If it's not too late, TeamGuido posted some info about the missing tasks at TWOP (here).

With luck things will calm down for me by the time TAR12 airs -- though of course you'll probably have it all figured out already. Keep up the good work, and best to you all.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
No idea where to post this since season 10 is long gone but it just came up on google alerts :cmaslol

BBF holds Christmas dinner 
KUWAIT : The experiences of doing the world’s most famous reality show “The Amazing Race” in Kuwait was shared by photo journalist Gustavo Ferrari, who was the guest speaker at British Business Forum’s (BBF) annual Christmas dinner held at Crowne Plaza Monday. The show has been winning one of the most coveted television awards, Emmy, for six straight years. The two-day shooting of The Amazing Race in Kuwait in June 2006 took two months of preparation, 40 cars, 200 hotel rooms, 12 camera crews from the US and six from Kuwait, said Ferrari to give the audience an idea of the scale of the project. The race involved 10 teams, who started off from various points in India, and based on clues had to go to different countries in the world and perform various tasks. Every leg of the race would eliminate a team, and the team that lasts till the end of the race would win $10 million.

Gustavo Ferrari was approached by The Amazing Race crew to help them organize the Kuwait-part of the race. One entire episode of the reality show shot in Kuwait was screened for the audiences. The first destination in the state was the famous Kuwait towers. The 2-member teams arrived at the Kuwait airport, where vehicles were waiting to be driven by them.  The masterful editing of the show sequences, made it nail-biting from the start till the title scroll at the end. The first task required one member from each team to climb up an encased ladder laid over the globe-shaped structure on the Kuwait Tower to get a sachet containing puzzle pieces. Solving the puzzle led the teams to their next destination, which was the Gharabally Street near the Grand Mosque. Hilarious moments followed as the teams used different tactics to find the location. One team literally begged a traffic cop into guiding them to the destination. There inside a traditional beads shop was the next clue.

Arab Times