Author Topic: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"  (Read 139162 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP7 airs 12/23 : "This is Forever, Now"
« Reply #425 on: December 23, 2007, 11:42:52 PM »
I'm just glad we got to see it all! But kind of pitiful that that was all we got to see of Florence....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #426 on: December 23, 2007, 11:51:35 PM »
Here is the route that Nate & Jenn took to beat all the other teams.  They had very good luck with their source of directions.  The guy (in a uniform?) actually indicated that the Bologna way was not good at the time.

See that they turned off the main highway at Forli.  They took a mountain road that was more direct and not closed until 6 am!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #427 on: December 24, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »
And those Italian cafe patrons must be laughing their asses off at TK and Rachel for falling for the directions they gave: 

'head to Roma, turn at Florence...'

Loosing the clue was not the big time loss for TK & Rachel.  They took so long because of the length of the drive:   :groan:

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline flagrant-8

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #428 on: December 24, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
 :xmas49

Hello everybody! I have been a TAR fan from season one. Can you believe I just discovered you? You guys are so thorough and post interesting information that fleshes out the race. I know this must be hard work but fun and wanted to let you know I appreciate it. I too am rooting for the GOTHS! From day one I loved their focus, ability to ace the challenges and sensitivity to their environment. Last night, waaah. But at least they're still in the game. I am keeping all body parts crossed that they pull it out next week. If Jen and Nate wins I will actually eat fruitcake which should be considered one of those icky food challenges on Survivor. Of course they're all lovey dovey now cause they're doing decently but waiting for another meltdown as soon as something doesn't go their way. TK, could he be more of a dunderhead? I was hoping Grandpa wouldn't get the tattoo so that would put them behind and give K and V more of a chance. Sigh....just glad the two week wait is over. Now why in the heck do they do that? Just pisses me off! (:;)

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #429 on: December 24, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
Who would have guessed--NO airport drama! :cmaslol

You did GREAT Chateau!

Second that :cmas51

But lots of airport drama next week.  And the true character of the Goths finally comes out; to do anything to win!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #430 on: December 24, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »
And those Italian cafe patrons must be laughing their asses off at TK and Rachel for falling for the directions they gave: 

'head to Roma, turn at Florence...'

Loosing the clue was not the big time loss for TK & Rachel.  They took so long because of the length of the drive:   :groan:
Chateau,

My Goth, that route TK & Rachel took is like driving to Tampa from Miami, but driving down to Key West first, then back up again. That's such a circuitous route. It's no wonder JeNation got to the Detour so quickly.
Just here to visit.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #431 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
tvdrew at TWoP has found the SNAV time table for the Split to Ancona ferry.

There is only one trip per day and it leaves at 5:00 pm, arrives at 9:30 pm.  Consistent with what we saw.  That's a big bad bunch.  Nick and Don (and A&H) could have completed the Dubrovnik leg as late as 3:30 am on the 20th (8.5 hours after they did) and things would still be the same.   :groan:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #432 on: December 24, 2007, 03:36:38 PM »
I was quite surprised by the actual transportation modes, as it required teams to be driving long distances at night, never a safe practice. The Split to Ancona ferry on SNAV left Split at 1700, which gave the last two teams ample time to get there and have a leisurely lunch. That ferry arrived Ancona after a 4 hour 40 minute run at 2140. After getting cars and getting directions, it would probably be about 2230 before teams got on the road.

Hey, CHATEAU, forget TVDREW. Just read this thread!

The implications for the best road route from ANCONA to EMPOLI and how the best teams should have gotten there by 0200 are in the following post, page 17 of this thread(we are on page 18 right now).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 03:39:50 PM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #433 on: December 24, 2007, 03:54:54 PM »
Of course you said it.  But you did not document it with a link.  I still give Kudos to tvdrew for that.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #434 on: December 24, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
And this

Apskip  16: Keep RIGHT to take A14 toward BOLOGNA CASALECCHIO / A1 / FIRENZE / E35 (Portions toll). 3.5 miles Map

17: Keep LEFT to take A1 toward FIRENZE (Portions toll). 56.6 miles Map 

was the road that was closed until 6 am.  So, when you say this

A team that could figure out this route and do it according to the estimated time would have arrived by about 2am, which Nathan and Jennifer may have done.

you missed the route that Nate & Jenn used.   :umn:

The key was in the episode when they spoke of the turnoff at Forli.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #435 on: December 24, 2007, 10:12:32 PM »
Once again, I will not be providing a link where it is not justified; here is the bus trip from Dubrovnik to Split:

SPLIT :: approximated trip duration - 4,5 h ::
 5.00, 5.30, 6.00, 8.00, 9.00, 10.15, 11.00, 13.00, 15.30, 16.30, 17.30, 18.00, 19.00, 19.45, 21.00

We know that our first 3 teams easily made the 5am bus. TK and Rachel hustled and made the 6am bus. Donald and Nicolas would have made the 8am bus and arrived in split at 1230, 2 to 3 hours behind the other teams. However, there was ample time to get the SNAV ferry tickets and have that leisurely lunch I mentioned in an earlier post.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #436 on: December 26, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
I am so pissed off, I am writing my report and just finished researching routes, ferry schedules, and bus times. And didn't even check here.  Damn it to hell.

But apskip on the bus route.  According to the screen shot, in the episode there is buses at 5, 6, 6:30, 7.  Can't see any further to say how often after that.  But of course in the long run it doesn't matter as they had plenty of time to catch the ferry.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2007, 10:58:45 AM »
If anyone has better resolution on their video, I'd appreciate some help on the bottom of this Detour card:
Note for both Detours (choices?)
At the end of your Detour you something something. The last team to check-in may (will?) be eliminated.
It happens at around 35 min. when TK opens his card.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
I see At the end of your Detour you better HURRY

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster