Author Topic: Racing Report Leg #3  (Read 5247 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg #3
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:33:45 PM »
Racing Report
Amazing Race
Season 12, Episode #3
Title:  “Please, Lord, Give Me Milk”, quote by a Lorena as she whimpers and screeches all at the same time..
Date:  July 12th.
Provided Funds:  $100.00 by TK & Donald
Pit Stop:  Standard 12 hours

Notes:  Damn I got this done quickly, all I am waiting for is the Insider Video’s.  Hurry Up Kogs.  Oops, now I am just lazy.

It is the morning of the 12th and teams leave the Pit Stop, the village of Durgerdam (a small village east of Ransdorp) in the order they arrived:

Where we learn that due to exertion, Ron is suffering from being an asshole, I mean from a hernia and received medical attention. 

1.  Lorena & Jason 4:19am
2.  Nathan & Jennifer 4:30am
3.  Shana & Jennifer 4:31 am
4.  Kynt & Vyxsin 5:21am
5.  Azaria & Hendekea 5:22am
6.  TK & Rachel 5:23am
7.  Marianna & Julia 5:46am
8.  Nicolas & Donald 5:47am
9.  Ronald & Christina 6:26am

Note:  By this, it is safe to say that Ronald & Christina had by far the worst performance at the roadblock, not Nicolas & Donald.

Teams must fly to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, a small developing country in West Africa (formerly a French colony, and currently the third poorest African nation based on GNP).  After flying 3000 miles they will have to take taxis to the cities train station where they will find their next clue.

No one knows where Ouagadougou is (not that I blame anyone, I had never heard of it before).

Marianna & Julia & Nicolas and Donald use the taxi driver’s cell phone to discover that it is in the African Nation of Burkina Faso and that they need to get to Air France.

Teams arrive at the Schiphol airport in the following order:
1.  Lorena & Jason
2.  Nathan & Jennifer
3.  Shana & Jennifer
These teams use the internet to discover that Ouagadougou is a city in Burkina Faso and that they will need to travel with Air France.

4.  Kynt & Vyxsin
5.  Azaria & Hendekea
6.  TK & Rachel
7.  Marianna & Julia
8.  Nicolas & Donald
9.  Ronald & Christina

Nathan & Jennifer are told that there is a flight that departs at 7:20 but that it is full, they get put on the standby list.

All other teams are unaware of this flight (or so it appears).

Nathan and Jennifer do get that early flight.

Flight #1
AF823 departs AMS at 0725 arrives at CDG (Paris, France) 0850
 Or
KL1223 departs AMS 0725 arrives CDG (Paris, France) 0850

It does appear to be the Air France flight

Flight #2
AF8229 departs AMS 0800 arrives CDG (Paris, France) 0930

Both flights connect to
AF0732 departs CDG 1110 arrives OUA (Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso) 1635 (* has been corrected per apskip and episode footage)

The remaining teams (except for Ronald & Christina) are boarding the 2nc flight, when they arrive at the airport at roughly 7:30am.  They are ticket and told they must run to get checked in.  They of course make it.

But that flight is delayed on the tarmac for mechanical problems and they question whether they will arrive in Paris in time to make the connection.

Come on Nic get your ass up their and pilot this damn thing. :snakes:

Nathan & Jennifer board the connecting flight (gate 96) and are hopeful that none of the other teams will make the connection.  And of course, all teams do, but it is fairly close.

And have you ever scene anyone more fake in being "happy" to see the other teams arrive? "Good to see you." :lies:

Teams arrive in Ouagadougou and make their way to taxis in the following order:
1.  Nathan & Jennifer
2.  Marianna & Julia
3.  Azaria & Hendekea
4.  Ronald & Christina
5.  Shana & Jennifer
That’s all the footage provides

Shana & Jennifer’s cab driver quote’s them a price of 4,000 (local currency is the CFA franc or more commonly called cefa), they then counter with 3,000 he says no problem.    :snicker:

Teams arrive to find the route marker in the following order:
1.  Nathan & Jennifer
2.  Marianna & Julia
3.  Azaria & Hendekea
4.  Ronald & Christina
5.  Shana & Jennifer

When they arrive near the train station, the cab driver sticks with his original 4,000 fare (though teams need to realize that many locals in various countries might be able to say yes or ok, but don’t actually understand the question or discussion).

Teams are then directed to take the train to Bingo.  Jennifer & Nathan (one of the first teams to arrive at the train station) walk past a clock that shows 5:42pm (which fits with the sunrise/sunset for the area:  Sunrise 5:49am/Sunset 6:36pm).

The ticket station is closed so they must wait for the next day to get tickets.  The train station opens at 6:00am.

There has also been questions over the years on if the producers hold teams at customs, which I have argued that they only do that on certain episodes (like opening legs and closing episodes) here we learn that Kynt & Vyxsin were off the plane quickly but got held up in customs for an hour and a half (longer then any other team).

July 13th
Teams make take the train out into the African Savanna, and disembark at Bingo (an empty field), where teams must find their next clue.

On the train ride (that last between 45 minutes to an hour according to Marianna & Julia) we get to see the best of behavior from almost all teams, but Shana & Jennifer bring out some very ugly American behavior (Kendra is so proud). :nono2:

At Bingo teams find the route marker.
ROADBLOCK – “Who Is Ready to Workup a Thirst?” 

In this roadblock the person must perform a chore commonly done by local Taureg nomads.  They must milk a camel.  Team members will extract enough milk to fill a bowl up to the designated line.  Then they have to drink the bowl of milk to receive their next clue.  They must be careful to not spill the milk or they may not have enough to be able to complete the task.  If their camel runs dry, they must wait until all the other teams have finished milking theirs before switching to another camel to finish the milking.  “Be mindful that camels are sensitive to fast movements and loud noises.” :spoiler:

Teams arrive at the roadblock in the following order (teams underlined represent the team member that completed the roadblock).
1.  TK & Rachel (Ha Michael that’s 10 points!) :ignore:
2.  Lorena & Jason
3.  Azaria & Hendekea
4.  Shana & Jennifer
5.  Nathan & Jennifer
6.   Kynt & Vyxsin
7.  Marianna & Julia
8.  Ronald & Christina
9.  Nicolas & Donald

:camel

Teams complete the roadblock in the following order:
1.  TK & Rachel (and another 10 pts) :ignore: (Tk has done 2, and Rachel has done 1)
2.  Nicolas & Donald (Yes, you read it right) (Nicolas has done 1, Donald has done 2)
3.  Ron & Christina (Ronald has done 1, Christina has done 2)
4.  Kynt & Vyxsin (Kynt has done 1, Vyxsin has done 2)
Who all head off in the wrong direction
5.  Nathan & Jennifer (Nathan has done 2, Jennifer has done 1)
6.  Azaria & Hendekea (Azaria has done 2, Hendekea has done 1)
7.  Shana & Jennifer (Shana has done 2, Jennifer has done 1)
8.  Marianna & Julia (Marianna has done 2, Julia has done 1)
9.  Flo & Jason (Lorena has done 1, that’s one more then Flo, Jason has done 2)

The Tuareg nomads will gather 4 camels that the teams must now lead across the savanna along a marked path to the drop off point.  After handling of their camel’s they will find their next clue.

Teams reach the next route marker in the following order:
1.  TK & Rachel (and that’s another 10 pts!! :yourock:)  Okay Tammy Rocked more, but we love her so thats ok.
2.  Nathan & Jennifer
3.  Kynt & Vyxsin
4.  Nicolas & Donald
5.  Ron & Christina
6.  Azara & Hendekea
7.  Shana & Jennifer
8.  Marianna & Julia
9.  Lorena & Jason

DETOUR:  Teach it or Learn it.

In teach it:  Teams choose 1 of the local children who do not speak any English.  They then must teach the child the English word for 10 common items.  When the child is able to recite all the English words correctly won 1 setting a local teacher will hand them their next clue.

In learn it:  Teams must learn More (with an accent that I don’t know how to put over the “o”) the primary language in this region.  With a local school child as the teacher, teams must learn the “More” words for ten common items.  When a team is able to recite all of the “More” words correctly in one setting a local teacher will give them their next clue.

We get a great shot of the actual primary clue (though I would love it if we got to see the extra info) and here it is.
Detour
Teach it or learn it.

Teach It:  Participate in the education of a local child by teaching them 10 words in English.

Learn It:  Delve into the local culture by learning 10 words in the African language of “More”.
I was only able to catch 8 of the English items:  Skyscraper, Motorcycle, Helicopter, Baseball, Bridge, Camera, and Cowboy.

The ten words (in English) that the they had to learn in “More” were:  Car, Hut, Camel, Bicycle, Fish, Train, Girl, Boy, Tree, and Drum.

In learn it

Teach it is chosen by:
1.  TK & Rachel
2.  Nicolas & Donald
3.  Ronald & Christina
4.  Shana & Jennifer

Learn it is chosen by:
1.  Kynt & Vyxsin
2.  Nathan & Jennifer
3.  Azaria & Hendekea
4.  Lorena & Jason
5.  Marianna & Julia

Teams complete the Detour in the following order:
1.  Azaria & Hendekea
2.  Ronald & Christina
3.  TK & Rachel
4.  Nathan & Jennifer
5.  Nicolas & Donald
6.  Kynt & Vyxsin
7.  Shana & Jennifer
8.  Lorena & Jason
9.  Marianna & Julia

Teams must now follow this marked path to the outskirts of Bingo (where they don't recieve a clue telling them to keep racing. :killme:.  This tiny village tribal community is the Pit Stop for the 3rd leg of the race.

Teams arrive in the following order:
1.  Azaria & Hendekea – and win a trip to Bermuda
2.  TK & Rachel
3.  Nathan & Jennifer
4.  Kynt & Vyxsin
5.  Ronald & Christina
6.  Nicolas & Donald

Teams 2-6 arrive so close together they are all on the Mat together.  So probably no more then 3 minutes separate them.  But of course each will be separated by at least a minute at the start of the next leg.

7.  Shana & Jennifer
8.  Lorena & Jason
9.  Marianna & Julia – who are eliminated :boot:

Team Reports

Azaria & Hendekea:  Wow they ran an average race, until it came down to the final tasks and then they kicked ass, see they are smart.  Everyone else is so stupid....  They smartly got a local which helped them navigate in the village (gaining a lot of time over the other teams), they also handled the actual learning task wisely and easily.  I think they probably finished a good 15 minutes before anyone else.

TK & Rachel:  Now that was more like it.  After complaining about how slow this young fit team was last week in getting from point A to B.  Here they lead the pack for almost the entire leg.  Unfortunately, they kept going the  WRONG WAY.  They did great at the roadblock and did well at the detour. Give them a compass and watch out.  A team I like.

Nathan & Jennifer:  I was moderately surprised by their behavior (I feared the worst), but they seemed to really enjoy the experience.  NOw if only Nathan could manage to get his balls back.....It was also nice seeing them relax with a beer (and damn that was a big beer).  They did okay at the roadblock, and did ok at the detour.  They did well in the early stages of the race in hustling and finding clues.  I see this team lasting a while.  If it wasn't for Jennifer being such a control freak, I would like these two.

Kynt & Vyxsin:  God, I like these two. :bunny  They did okay in the roadblock and did okay in the detour.  They also had problems navigating to both the school and the Pit Stop.  I see this team making it close to 2/3 of the way through the race.  I just feel dirty rooting for Michael's team.

Ronald & Christina:  After earning the distain of viewers last week, Ronald actually was tolerable and seemed like a real parent (I am sure he was faking it).  As for tasks they performed the roadblock well, and did fine on the detour.  But had the problem that plagued several teams of poor navigation or blindly following other teams. But Ronald still annoys me, and I am just waiting for them to get back in the rear so that he can blame it on Christina, after all she is fat.

Nicolas & Donald:  Okay what the hell does Nic call Donald?  I swear I heard him call him dad.  They perfomed very nicely this week, maintaining calm and focus on both tasks.  I especially liked Nic caring both backpacks over the longer distances and sprints.  That makes a lot of sense (as long as it doesn’t over burden him).  We also learn that both of them are vain about hats.  This is another team I think I am liking.  Though we really haven't got a ton of footage of them except for Gramps Nakid, of course, I can't get enough of that.  Lets watch that again in slow motion.....

Shana & Jennifer:  This team’s behavior towards the poverty of Burkina Faso was embaressing.  Kendra was so proud. :hides  They also didn’t perform well at the roadblock and had a difficult time navigating throughout the village costing them enough time that they thought the others teams would have passed them.  A poor leg, with a lack of focus.  Unless something can happen to allow them to get ahead,  :spoiler: I just don't see them lasting longer.

Lorena & Jason:  There is no doubt that Lorena  :pull had one of the largest breakdowns  :pull (especially so early in the race).  Hell Flo was watching and said, "that girl is going Bat **** crazy".  And really anytime you can say Flo was doing better at this stage, then you know you are in trouble.  Typically we compare all meltdowns to Flo’s Vietnam leg.  But that’s after weeks of travel and no sleep.  They haven’t been gone even a week. But the one positive thing about this leg, was Jason.  I was expecting Jason to be having a fit, at the very least to see blood coming out of his eyes and ears.  Hell, and I have never heard a guy lie so well, when he sad, "of course, I love you."  But he handled the waiting extremely well, and managed to get them past that moment (2 and a half hours plus) and focused them back on the task of completing the leg.  And it paid off. 

Marianna & Julia:  Actually did well in hustling for the first part of the leg (the part that didn’t matter in the slightest).  But they had a very hard time with the camel.  Though Julia never had a melt down like Lorena did, Chernobyl didn't meltdown as bad..  But with offering advice to their friends (they like Lorena & Jason and would like to see them win) and the their pace during the camel walk allowed Lorena & Jason the opportunity to pass them.  I was surprised to find out that they didn’t get along with most of the teams.  And Julia had a great quote “Good girl, your sweet as Candy”, that kind of freaked me out while coaxing her camel.  But I honestly can’t say that I am surprised by their elimination.

So this leg is over and Jason can now go and relax in one of three ways to make the pain go  away.

1.   :hosed drink himself under.

2.   :killme:  kill himself.

3.   :badhorse:  or kill Lorena. 

Come back next Sunday to find out which...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:21:27 AM by mswood »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing Report Leg #3
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 10:23:35 PM »
mswood, my recollection of what was shown by CBS was AF732 arriving in OUA at 1635, not 1750. The 1635 arrival would also dovetail with the teams being in daylight after they get through customs, change money, and get to the railroad station. Air France schedules are not conclusive on this subject nor are other definitive sources.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »
This recap is great, mswood. Keep up the great work! :tup: :tup: :tup:
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
I love reading these--thanks so much for doing them for us!  :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 12:12:33 AM »
mswood, my recollection of what was shown by CBS was AF732 arriving in OUA at 1635, not 1750. The 1635 arrival would also dovetail with the teams being in daylight after they get through customs, change money, and get to the railroad station. Air France schedules are not conclusive on this subject nor are other definitive sources.

I rechecked and you are accurate they do say 1635.  I even had it written down, but when I checked AIrwise I just copied what it said.....

I am changing it now, since that does allow the various extra things needed to be done.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:57 AM »
And our missionaries said they arrived by 5 as well...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 01:03:33 AM »

Peach, I can't believe I forgot all about them.  And that was one of the earliest spoilers.

I must be getting senile.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »

Peach, I can't believe I forgot all about them.  And that was one of the earliest spoilers.

I must be getting senile.
Welcome to my world mswood  :yess:! and as always thank you!! :hearts:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 08:04:09 PM »
Heh. If you are senile I must be comatose! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 08:07:05 PM »
If you're senile and comatose, then I'm completely bedridden.
Just here to visit.