Author Topic: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"  (Read 79238 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »

Sunday, November 25, 8pm et/pt
Clues:
LET'S NAME OUR CHICKEN PHIL
It's American Idol, African-style, as Teams take center stage and dance to impress local celebrities from Burkina Faso. Perform without originality and suffer a 10-minute penalty!
A new wrinkle in the Race causes friction between two Teammates as one fears a target has been painted on their backs and karma will bite them from behind.
One Racer cannot control tears from flowing as she is surprised by how kind the people of Africa have been to her.

Well I don't know but here goes and remember this can be changed -- I'm guessing here!! ^^ Thats a good idea banzai, wish we knew 100% about the U-turn wrinkle.

tv guide magazine blurb:
11/25 Amazing Race 12:
Sure we love the globe-trotting and the challenges, but we also can't help but chortle with delight as teamates turn on one another ---like one duo does tonight. Hee-hee! My guess Shana & Jennifer, Jennifer is worried because Shana chose to U-Turn Jason/Lorena

Clues:
LET'S NAME OUR CHICKEN PHIL Jason & Lorena?

*One Racer cannot control tears from flowing as she is surprised by how kind the people of Africa have been to her. Hendeka?

Teams leave the pitstop in this order~

Azaria & Hendekea -1st Place (Safe= Croatia)
TK & Rachel 2nd- Place (Safe=Croatia)
Nathan & Jennifer -3rd Place  (in danger?)
Kynt & Vyxsin - 4th Place (safe = Croatia)
Ron & Christina - 5th Place(Safe=Croatia)
Nicolas & Donald - 6th Place (Safe= Croatia)
Shana & Jennifer - 7th Place(Safe= Croatia)
Lorena & Jason - 8th Place (in danger?)

Teams running:

Detours Break Out or Dig Out
My spec:

U-turn: the chicken task; it's an extra task; when they're done, come back and do the detour
Roadblock: the bicycle task; Jenn is solo; it's her turn to do it; they alternate every leg
Detour: American Idol or Gold Digging
thanks to banzai

*TEAMS MUST BREAK OUT THEIR DANCE MOVES OR INCUR A COSTLY PENALTY AT A DETOUR IN BURKINA FASO, AFRICA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE 12
*It's American Idol, African-style, as Teams take center stage and dance to impress local celebrities from Burkina Faso. Perform without originality and suffer a 10-minute penalty!
*Teams must impress the local judges in Burkina Faso with their dance moves to avoid a penalty and receive their next clue

Break Out

Siblings

Ron/Christina

Nate/Jen

Oh my Goth! You are wonderful!

Jen/Shana

Jason/Lorena

Dig Out

Gramps & Nic

**A new wrinkle in the Race causes friction between two Teammates as one fears a target has been painted on their backs and karma will bite them from behind.
*A new wrinkle in the Race causes friction between two Teammates as one fears a target has been painted on their backs and karma will bite them from behind
* Shana & Jennifer make a controversial decision 

Chickens=U-Turn?
"They're gonna hate us"

"you guys chose to do it .."

"I'm pissed"
"Rapido!"
"we are going to screw over the blonds"
:bar:
Roadblock something to do with delivering something on Bike
Ride your something somewhere?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:49:01 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »
That doesn't sound like Florence to me...

Still in Africa after all??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:12:57 PM »
I always thought India after Burkina? I dunno?

ETA:
OH BOY! Look At THIS ONE!

AOL article:

"After 12 seasons, you don't want the contestants to go into the race thinking, 'I know what's next,'" said co-executive producer Elise Doganieri. The show will crisscross the world, from Holland to India to Croatia, and head to a few off-the-beaten-track towns that will send viewers grabbing for their globes.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
Gosh--I never took that order literally? Should we?

I was thinking BF, +/- other Africa, Florence, Dubrovnik, Lithuania, India, ?somewhere, Osaka, Taipei, Girdwood, Finale.

Maybe BF is a TBC and they're still chasing chickens? :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
puddin, please look at the Speculative Timelines thread for guidance on where teams go next after Burkina Faso. Niamey, Niger is speculative, but there are some very substantial reasons for it. It is almost certain that teams do NOT go directly to India from Burkina Faso for these reasons:

1. The time incurred to go to India and then back to Europe would add 2 days and this Amazing Race doesn't have 2 days to spare if all stops are going to be made and Alaska reached by July 29.

2. Bertram stated that there would be 2 African stops. I believe him.

3. The only sensible way to get to India is from Vilnius and to Osaka.

4. NOTE: ADDED LATER - The optimum flights to Delhi India(gateway to Jaisalmer and a lot of other places in India) are via Paris-Charles-DeGaulle airport coming from West African places such as Ouagadougou or Niamey or several other West African capital cities because that is the way the air routes were set up. It makes no sense to fly to India and then return to Europe to catch Florence, Dubrovnik and Vilnius when you are right there in Europe for that connection.

I think people who are reading Elise Doganieri's statement Holland to India to Croatia literally are making a mistake.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 02:38:57 PM by apskip »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »
Gosh--I never took that order literally? Should we?

I was thinking BF, +/- other Africa, Florence, Dubrovnik, Lithuania, India, ?somewhere, Osaka, Taipei, Girdwood, Finale.

Maybe BF is a TBC and they're still chasing chickens? :lol:

May not be an actual TBC, but BF could be one complete leg at the end of which when the meet Phil on the mat he tells them "keep on racing, here is your next clue - proceed to Niamey, Niger. " Same was done when teams met Phil in Red Square in Moscow and they were told this was not the end but continue on to Stuttgart.  This makes Africa into two legs but only one pit stop.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:30:29 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 07:19:21 AM »
Peach's eloquent research on the rain in Spain(no that was Burkina Faso) has motivated me to take another look at the possibilities for West African cities that AR12 could fly to directly and quickly from Ouagadougou. I developed a list of the major cities nearby:

Cotonhou, Benin
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Bamako, Mali
Accra, Ghana
Lagos, Nigeria

I then examined the nonstop flight possiblities from OUA on the morning of July 15(since the Burkina Faso pitstop or TBC is going to start late afternoon or evening of July 14). The results were as follows:

COO, ACC, and LOS - none
ABJ - 2J(Air Burkina) 322 0800 0930
BKO 2J 338 1345 1530

We now have to look on the other end for flights out to Europe. Both of these have nonstop late evening flights to CDG as well as very early morning connections through Casablanca:

ABJ CDG AF703 2235 0600 +1 or ABJ CMN AT532 0240 0700  CMN CDG 0755 1200
connecting with AF5038 0720 0915

BKO CDG AF791 2350 0620 +1 or BKO CMN AT522 0325 0700 CMN CDG 0755 1200
connecting with AF5038 0720 0915

All of these could work, depending on when teams get released from the pitstop or equivalent. I doubt that World Race Productions would have teams arriving Bamako early afternoon and then flying out late that evening or at 320am the next morning. To me it would make more sense to use Abidjan if they are going to use this alternative at all. I still like the road route to Niamey, Niger. We'll see.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »
Thanks apskip for doing all that! Darn rainy season!

It is interesting that all the clothing/camels/etc that we have so far seems to work equally as well in Niger as in Burkina Faso so I think that that remains a possibility--just might need charter flights. But Abidjan is harder to say, so who knows?

Clearly by the title we aren't in Florence so still have to be in Africa somewhere. Some sort of or variation of a TBC. And I do hope BVM had the "2 African countries" right--sometimes it is hard to trust his geography! :rotf:

We need some more info to sort this out--hopefully the previews will help!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP4: "Let's Name Our Chicken Phil" (or is it children?)
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:47:32 PM »
tvguide has --Let's Name Our Children Phil
CBS says "Chicken"

Mmmmmm .... I like chicken. :chicken

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 08:04:23 AM »
Here's some interesting transportation news:

The Dori-Téra road is the only section of the Ouagadougou - Kaya - Dori - Téra - Niamey inter-states highway not yet developed. The African Development Fund (ADF) July 11 approved a grant amounting to US$ 1 million to finance the development study of the road section of an approximate length of 100 km linking the locality of Dori in Burkina Faso to that of Téra in Niger. The border areas between Niger and Burkina Faso however have increased in economic relevance during the last years due to several new discoveries of gold. Industrial gold mining is now to start on the Nigerien side of the border and has already started on the Burkinabe side. More gold bearing zones are expected to be found in the region.

So this means that the current road is in miserable condition. I've been wondering what the tasks in Niger might be. The major economic acitivity in Niger is millet procution. Perhaps one task could be mining. Past Amazing Races have loved to highlight mining tasks.

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:47:44 PM »
Wikipedia may not be the most reliable spurce, but from their section on the economy in Nigeria...

Once the biggest poultry producer in Africa, corporate poultry output has been slashed from 40 million birds annually to about 18 million. Import constraints limit the availability of many agricultural and food processing inputs for poultry and other sectors.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
Well interesting...but it is NIGER and not NIGERIA we've been considering for this leg. Easy to confuse though! 

Any word on chickens--or children! (see--even CBS does it!  :lol:) in NIGER?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 03:10:28 PM »
I'm starting to wonder whether TAR goes to Niamey or not.  Niger is considered by the UN to be the poorest country on earth.  Not much infrastructure to support TAR production crews.  Lousy climate to boot.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »
Depends on if you believe the 2 African country quote or not. I think that since it was not a direct quote from BVM, that there is room to believe that the reporter misheard or misunderstood perhaps? and that we may not see another African leg at all.

But I can also talk myself into believing that it could make sense to have another leg right "next door" too...

Guess we'll have to wait and see unless puddin turns up a new promo today!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 03:18:59 PM »
 :lol: They really shouldn't have decided to have a Niger and a Nigeria!

Anyways, I found that NIGER is woried about their chickens being effected by the bird flu, but articals alsoi state that chances of the bird flu becoming severe in West Africa are slim. I'll keep searching, i have nothing better to do on a rainy day, but atleast we know they have chickens out there for agriculture.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:22:07 PM by north09 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
Why not save this thread for EP4, until we know for sure and speculate in locations or speculation?

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 03:53:27 PM »
I'm starting to wonder whether TAR goes to Niamey or not.  Niger is considered by the UN to be the poorest country on earth.  Not much infrastructure to support TAR production crews.  Lousy climate to boot.

GMAN, we may get enough clues and we may not. However, please keep in mind that the leg following the TBC could be something like "take a ride 4 hours to Niamey, do some minor task and get thee to the pistop." It doesn't have to have a lot going for it. Burkina Faso doesn't either and they are there. African legs are colorful and have a lot of audience appeal regardless of where they are and what tasks are being done.

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »
video:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 08:31:36 PM »
We know those masks thanks to Slowhatch--they might be --

Edited again --Bwa peopleDossi

ETA: thanks ROB  :jumpy:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 11:51:56 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
It is clear that Bingo is not a tremendous distance from Ouagadougou. That means that the whole philosophy of taking road transport to Niamey as the next place is now highly unlikely. To meet the "2 African countries statement" teams will most probably fly to another country. The question is to which country? My previous work identified these two possibilities from Ouagadougou(since teams have reached the pitstop in the morning of July 14, they could get there by midnight if there is a nearby road and taxi pickup has been pre-arranged by World Race Production). Those possibilities are :

Abidjan, Ivory Coast - 2J(Air Burkina) 322 0800 0930
Bamako, Mali 2J 338 1345 1530

It could be either one. They could also stay in Burkina Faso if the originator of "2 African countries" meant Burkina and Faso.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 08:47:35 PM »
It is clear that Bingo is not a tremendous distance from Ouagadougou. That means that the whole philosophy of taking road transport to Niamey as the next place is now highly unlikely. To meet the "2 African countries statement" teams will most probably fly to another country. The question is to which country? My previous work identified these two possibilities from Ouagadougou(since teams have reached the pitstop in the morning of July 14, they could get there by midnight if there is a nearby road and taxi pickup has been pre-arranged by World Race Production). Those possibilities are :

Abidjan, Ivory Coast - 2J(Air Burkina) 322 0800 0930
Bamako, Mali 2J 338 1345 1530

It could be either one. They could also stay in Burkina Faso if the originator of "2 African countries" meant Burkina and Faso.

I vote for a misquote and they do not go to another African Country!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 08:49:34 PM »
Those sticks are like the antelopes front legs--think Lion King...

Buzz thru this and you'll see!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 09:26:02 PM »
these are better and good job peach!

these will do for now

NEXT TIME ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:

Phil: Teams put their dancing skills to the test, with tough critics ...
Scene: Both team members dance in an open area, as a tribal version
Jason: Like we're on American Idol right now!

Phil: ... and Shana/Jennifer make a controversial decision.
Shana/Jen: their going to hate us, their going to be pissed
TK: You guys chose to do it.
Jason, in taxi: We are going to screw over the blondes!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:17:43 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 09:29:15 PM »
That looks like a potential get a clue shot to me..
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
Those caps all look to be taken from the same place (buildings in first two caps; the bikes in the background of the second and eighth caps possibly) so the blondes catch up with the main pack, Lorena/Jason may catch up as well since it looks like they're watching another team. I'm guessing the dancing is the first task and that it has a start time later in the morning. The actual task (which could be a Detour choice or not) I'm thinking is that the teams have to learn the dance and are judged; if they pass, they go on, but if they fail, they have to wait for all the other teams behind them before they can make another attempt (much like the ice bar in TAR 6). Judging from how one of the blondes (Shana?) takes her sweater off, I'd say they were there for a while. I guess the Shana/Jennifer controversy happens here as well. After that, I dunno, but whether they stay in BF or go to another country, the leg's probably going to end the night of the 15th (which sets up nicely for a leg in Europe to end early on the 17th before Croatia).