Author Topic: Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson - TAR12  (Read 27739 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson - TAR12
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:51:32 AM »

Kate & Pat
Married Ministers
Kate: Thousand Oaks, CA
49, Episcopal Priest

Pat: Thousand Oaks, CA
65, Ordained Deacon

Kate and Pat dated for seven years before tying the knot three years ago. These well traveled Episcopal clergy are ready for the adventure of lifetime–but don’t let the collars fool you–they can play dirty too.

Kate is an Episcopal priest and has one grown son. She claims that the biggest difference between herself and Pat is that she avoids conflict while Pat dives right in. Kate describes herself as passionate and sarcastic while Pat says she is persistent and dependable.

Pat is a vocational deacon in the Episcopal Church and her ministry in the community is to people with disabilities. She is also the mother of two sons and grandmother of three. Pat’s biggest pet peeve about Kate is that she constantly misjudges her time, an issue that could surely cause problems on the Race.

Both are out to prove that they are not afraid to compete with anyone and they are extremely confident that their years of experience will help them combat the physical prowess of the younger Teams.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:29:23 AM by Kogs »

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
Re: Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson - TAR12
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »
o....m....g

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:30:52 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:42 AM »
I'm not saying anything Rob  :lol:

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »
I hope these aren't out too early

interesting angle on the "lifestyle" team

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »
Lesbian minsters with a 16 years age difference ....... interesting....
Are they racing in scrubs?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »
Looks like the Land's End "we cover the significant bits" T-shirt to me Michael!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
 :hearts:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 04:27:16 PM »

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 04:29:03 PM »
The one in the green shirt reminds me of robin williams.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
The one in the green shirt reminds me of robin williams.

shes the love child of robin williams, bill cower, and ed hochuli

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »
Aww leave them alone ! They look like a fun team and have a lot of spirit  :hearts:

Kiwi Jay

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:53:19 AM »
F.Y.I: I actually like them, they look cool, and the 16 year age difference made me laugh too lol. Look we have had gay so why cant we have lesbian and not like them...I do!!

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 01:34:20 PM »
THe comment about time leads me to believe they are out early.  Smart move; the pants that zipp to shorts

Kiwi Jay

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 04:18:44 PM »
yeah they are out early I think but I like them and it was a smart move

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 04:48:08 AM »
o....m....g
that says it for me too.  :duno: :duh:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 07:15:18 PM »
I just watched the Buddy TV Interview with Kate and Pat!

And Kate---wants to go to Antarctica and see the penguins!!  Me too, Kate!    :hearts: :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
ew the old one is so boring  :pull
They're BOTH boring, this interview is like 9 hours long LOL
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:46:45 PM by Michael D »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 01:38:54 AM »
Gay ministers race for ratings on tonight's episode of 'The Amazing Race.'

ENTERTAINMENT: The Hermosa Beach partners will appear

There weren't any lesbian ministers when the Rev. Kate Lewis and the Rev. Pat Hendrickson were young. There weren't even any women.

Times have changed - slowly. But role models are still hard to find, even in the liberal-leaning Episcopal Church, they say.

Lewis and Hendrickson, who have been in a relationship since meeting at a religious retreat in 1997, hope to change that by appearing on this season's popular reality show "The Amazing Race," which begins tonight on CBS.

"We're happy to offer ourselves up to show people that Christians come in many different stripes," said Lewis, a minister at St. Cross Episcopal Church in Hermosa Beach. "Some of us are progressive and inclusive."

The potential for a million-dollar cash prize, along with a globe-spanning adventure, didn't hurt, either.

"We are very serious about our relationship with God, and we are very serious about winning this race," Hendrickson said. "We're not afraid to have a good time, either. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun."

The pair certainly stand out among this season's lineup of two-person teams. Amid the cast of brothers and sisters, co-workers and heterosexual couples, Lewis and Hendrickson are the first lesbian team to compete on the show. The fact that they are both ordained ministers adds to their mystique.

Nearly 20,000 people apply each season for the show. The only requirements are that contestants be captivating, a little eccentric and "most of all engaging," according to CBS.

With a weekly average of about 10 million viewers, it is one of the most popular reality shows since "Survivor" hit the airwaves seven years ago.

Reality fans
Lewis and Hendrickson have been hooked on reality TV since the beginning, when they used to skip out on evening community gatherings in seminary to watch the latest drama unfold on television.  :yess:

"It's the sociology of it that's so fascinating," said Hendrickson, a minister at St. Patrick's Episcopal Church in Thousand Oaks. "You're watching people who haven't known each other before develop a relationship and compete on a show with so many twists and turns."

Lewis and Hendrickson have been sworn to secrecy about the details of their adventure - a CBS representative even had to listen in on a recent phone interview to ensure the results weren't divulged.

Until last week, Lewis had to lie to her congregation at St. Cross about where she was all summer, although the rector of St. Cross, the Rev. Paul Lawson, was in the loop.

"Everybody's really supportive," he said. "We're all looking forward to watching it."

The women had to come up with a fake story quick - something about a secret trip to investigate women's issues in Third World countries - because the selection process moved a lot faster than either expected. They applied last spring at the suggestion of a friend, and just a few weeks later learned they had been picked.

"It would have been nice to have some more time to get into shape," Lewis said with a laugh.

Mentally tough
Lewis, 49, is mother to a grown son; Hendrickson, 65, is a mother of two sons and three grandchildren. They are among the older competitors, and will be racing against people in their 20s and 30s.

One of the youngest participants is also a South Bay resident: Hendekea Azene, a 23-year-old aerospace engineer from Torrance.

What the women lack in physical prowess, they make up for in mental toughness, they say. Both have certainly traveled a winding path through life.

They were both married to men, then divorced. And they both came into the ministry late in life.

Lewis worked in the film industry as a script supervisor for 25 years before "I came into my own, finally, in midlife. I heard the call to ministry and I answered it," she said. "I feel I was made for this in the first place."

Hendrickson wasn't raised in a devoutly religious household, but came to religion on her own at a young age. After being diagnosed with breast cancer when her kids were grown, "I started to feel that call, that I was supposed to be giving my life to the church," she said. "I fought it tooth and nail. I wasn't sure what it would mean."

Several years after their divorces, the two women met at a religious retreat and developed a close bond. Neither had been in a relationship with a woman before, so the attraction they felt was strange at first, they said. Six months later, however, they moved in together.

"Certain things told me I might (be a lesbian), but other things refuted that, like wanting children," said Lewis, when asked whether she knew she was gay at a younger age. "I wanted that kind of family situation, and we didn't have any other role models to look at."

Edits concerning
They are now registered as domestic partners, and committed to each other at a blessing ceremony at St. Augustine Episcopal Church on Mother's Day in 2004.

Despite the controversy surrounding homosexuality in the Episcopal Church, neither Lewis nor Hendrickson felt uncomfortable "coming out" to their congregations. They know that some people disapprove, but it hasn't affected their ministries, they say.

"In person, to our face, people have been very positive," Lewis said. "The work of the body of Christ continues on whether we have a lesbian minister or not. It's rather incidental to what we do in the church."

The women say they aren't naive to the fact that the television network is probably exploiting their sexuality, combined with the role as ministers, to boost ratings. In fact, just doing the show, knowing that producers could cut and paste together video clips to portray the couple any way they choose, required a significant leap of faith.

"This is really an exercise for us in practicing what we preach," Hendrickson said. "We have no idea what to expect. We have to just let it go and leave it to God."

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_7365130

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 03:27:25 AM »
They did purdy good for the first week.  I thought they would be the first eliminated.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
This is from the AfterEllen lesbian website

"The Amazing Race" 12 to Include the Show's First Lesbian Couple
by Sarah Warn, Editor in Chief
October 24, 2007

The 12th season of the Emmy-winning CBS reality series The Amazing Race will include a lesbian couple for the first time in the show's history. Described by CBS as "married ministers," 49-year-old Kate Lewis and 65-year-old Pat Hendrickson of Thousand Oaks, Calif., "dated for seven years before tying the knot three years ago.  Kate and Pat are ready for the adventure of lifetime — but don't let the collars fool you — they can play dirty too."

Here's how their official CBS bio describes them:

Kate and Pat dated for seven years before tying the knot three years ago. These well traveled Episcopal clergy are ready for the adventure of lifetime — but don’t let the collars fool you — they can play dirty too.

Kate is an Episcopal priest and has one grown son. She claims that the biggest difference between herself and Pat is that she avoids conflict while Pat dives right in. Kate describes herself as passionate and sarcastic while Pat says she is persistent and dependable.

Pat is a vocational deacon in the Episcopal Church and her ministry in the community is to people with disabilities. She is also the mother of two sons and grandmother of three. Pat’s biggest pet peeve about Kate is that she constantly misjudges her time, an issue that could surely cause problems on the Race.

Both are out to prove that they are not afraid to compete with anyone and they are extremely confident that their years of experience will help them combat the physical prowess of the younger Teams.

This season's 11 teams also include a dating Goth couple, an Asian-American father-daughter team, and a grandfather and grandson. The teams will travel 50,000 miles and hit five new countries for the race, including Ireland, Lithuania and Croatia.

In a February 2007 interview with the Ventura County Reporter, the women talked about their decision to marry and the wedding itself, which was held during an Episcopal service. According to Pat: "We’re not in your face. But just by being who we are, it knocks down stereotypes."

Neither woman had been in a relationship with a woman before when they met at a weekend church retreat in 1997. They quickly became close friends, then realized it was something more. They moved in together six months later.

Kate, formerly a script supervisor in Hollywood, now works as a priest at St. Cross Episcopal Church in Hermosa Beach, and Pat is a deacon at St. Augustine by the Sea in Santa Monica.

The Amazing Race, which averaged 10 million viewers in its previous seasons, has had several gay male couples as well as an out lesbian on a father-daughter team in its 10th season, but Pat and Kate will be the first lesbian couple competing in the race.

The new season of The Amazing Race kicks off on Sunday, Nov. 4, at 8 p.m. ET.
And as I was scrolling down to read the comments from the site's members, I found this interesting tidbit about Vyxsin:

goth... and queer.
Submitted byArizona (4 posts) on November 2, 2007 - 1:38pm.

Yeah, I would never have gone out of my way to say anything but since this article ended up here I feel its only fair to mention. The woman in the goth couple, used to identify as an out queer woman and was in a 3 and half year relationship with another woman when i met her. That being said, I don't think she'd be offended by that coming out and she's a nice girl.
Just here to visit.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 04:29:57 AM »
bye bye Kate n Pat, I'm glad you got elim'd tonite, and I don't hafta watch you kiss!  But good luck anyway with all your church work.....

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »
Bye Bye Boring Boring Bye Bye!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
INTERVIEW: 'The Amazing Race's Kate Lewis, Pat Hendrickson talk

By Christopher Rocchio, 11/12/2007

Kate Lewis and Pat Hendrickson knew it would be difficult for them to compete in some of the more physical challenges facing them on The Amazing Race's twelfth-season course, which is why their mental blunder while searching for bikes was tough to swallow.

As a result, Kate, a 49-year-old Episcopal clergy member, and Pat, a 65-year-old ordained deacon, became the second team eliminated from The Amazing Race 12 during last night's broadcast of the CBS reality series.

On Monday, the married Episcopal ministers from Thousand Oaks, CA talked to Reality TV World about what impact their faith had on the way they ran the race; how Pat took a Dr. Doolittle-type approach to mobilizing their stubborn donkey; why being the second team ousted was just as bad as being the first team booted; and how the experience calmed their competitive natures.

more here ~
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/interview-kate-lewis-pat-hendrickson-talk-about-the-amazing-race-6081.php

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 01:34:31 PM »
I liked these guys, no yelling.  But did they realise that they were in a RACE come'on hussle ladies.

I also liked it when Pat would get glee from seeing the other teams getting frazzled.