Author Topic: TARA2: Marc & Rovilson (Philippines)  (Read 27880 times)

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TARA2: Marc & Rovilson (Philippines)
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »

Best Buddies      

Member 1             
Name       :       Marc Nelson
Occupation       :       TV Host and Model
Age       :       31
Hometown       :       Philippines

Member 2             
Name       :       Rovilson Fernandez
Occupation       :       TV Host and Magazine Editor
Age       :       30
Hometown       :       Philippines

No Amazing Race show can be without its hunk factor and that is where Marc and Rovilson from the Philippines come in. This is one team with the two flamboyant individuals, who dish out a mixture of comedy and ego with a ton of sass. Both TV hosts by day, Rovilson also works as a magazine editor while Marc is a model, whose face, and rather well toned body, has graced the cover of many magazines.

From the get-go, the combination of Marc and Rovilson, is a potent mixture that cannot be taken seriously. Otherwise, you will miss out on the constant ribbing dished out by the friends of four years, as they lovingly slam each other with put down and insults, all in the name of friendship.

Even before the race, Rovilson is very sure that his Aussie buddy will do something disappointing during the competition while Marc is deathly afraid that his American friend will show his true nature in the competition, which happens to be constantly late for everything.

"But I've learned to accept him as a friend, even with his faults. Plus, I tell him to turn up an hour before he actually needs to be there," Marc quips.

At the same time, Rovilson happily describes his friend as someone who lets his female co-host do all the dirty work on television, and also hosts beauty pageants for a living.

Such is the basis of a friendship that started with a mutual friend 4 years ago, which showed both men that they were not that different, as both love a good laugh, and share an equally wicked sense of humor. So what exactly is the biggest difference between them both?

As Marc puts it with a straight face, "I've got hair."

Marc is looking forward to the joy of hamming it up with his buddy on screen, and challenging themselves to win. In fact, this is his main reason for competing on the show. "We are the most competitive when we are giving each other a hard time," he points out, subtly revealing that it is not purely about the fun and games when it comes to the top prize.

So, given their sharp wit, outgoing personality and an ability to dish out as well as they can take, who is the better TV host between the two of them? A laughing Marc believes he has that title in the bag.

Pointing to his partner, "Even if I have to lug your lazy fat arse all over television, people will get to see who the best TV host is."

A sly Rovilson counters, "As long as you promise not to bring your stunt double."

And Rovilson makes this promise to viewers of the show, "We promise you the most animated, exciting, lovable, huggable and most fun team on The Amazing Race Asia."

http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/season2/teams/marc-rovilson/index.html

Rovilson's webpage:
http://profiles.friendster.com/4261083

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARA2: Marc & Rovilson (Philippines)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/you/super/view_article.php?article_id=91319

Meet the Clunks

By James Gabrillo
Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines--The show that has captured audiences is back--this time with two of our very own TV hosts hopping along to reprezent y'all.

Okay, enough of the ghetto talk. Exciting times lie ahead for fans and newcomers to Asia's edition of the Emmy Award winning reality-competition series, "The Amazing Race," as "The Amazing Race Asia 2" promises to be bigger and bolder, traveling further and beyond Asia.

Bar none, the original Amazing Race has given viewers a global adventure reality show like no other. Even after 11 awesome installments, fans are not letting go of the show.

The Amazing Race not only just bagged its fifth consecutive Emmy Award, it has won every 'Outstanding Reality-Competition Television Programme' Emmy since the award genre was created.

The first Asian edition too wowed the fans, with over 15 million viewers tuning in for its unique brand of entertainment. With so much behind The Amazing Race franchise, The Amazing Race Asia is set to push the envelope even further in season 2.

So who made the cut this season? 10 feisty teams of varied nationalities and cultural backgrounds from a wide range of Asian nations had beaten out over 2,500 applicants (and even past participants of the original US series) to gain a hot spot in the race for an adventure of a lifetime.

Hi, I'm a Mac, only with an R in the middle

Fast forward to this exciting newsbreak! Our very own TV personalities Rovilson Fernandez and Marc Nelson form one of the two teams from the Philippines. They call themselves Team Rovilson and Marc, or Team Marc and Rovilson, depending on who you're asking.

"We promise to give you the most animated, the most exciting, the most lovable, huggable, most fun team you've ever seen on Amazing Race Asia. Why do you want us? Because we are fit, we are fearless, and best of all, we are the most competitive ... when we are giving each other a hard time," the duo says on their audition video, which was inspired by the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ad campaign of Apple.

Joining the race was Rovilson's suggestion, Marc shares. "We both love the race. We're both going through a stage in our lives where we wanted to do something out of the box, something adventurous. We have traveled together before, we have a very similar sense of humor, and we're into sports. So I was like, hell yeah, let's go! We originally planned to do a backpacking trip in Europe during the time the race was taped, so it was easy to leave. We already told people that we're gonna be away for a month or so. Everything really just kind of came together."

Watch, learn, and win?

Both hosting sports-related shows on the tube, the duo didn't need to prepare much physically. Marc, however, had to work on an important element of the race--running around. "I had to work on my cardio. I hate to run, I really do. It's not my favorite thing. The actual running during the race scared me. I don't do the treadmill on the gym, so I had to step up on my cardio a bit. Mentally, I think I was game."

Rovilson shares, "We had to study a lot on world things, like maps and current events."

In addition, the team fixed their strategies and psyched themselves up by watching a lot of episodes from the past seasons of The Amazing Race. "Every episode we could get our hands on, we watched. Up until the plane ride going to the starting location, Rovilson and I were viewing the show via an iPod!" Marc recalls.

Boys just wanna have fun

When host Allan Wu gave the go signal, the duo was immediately branded as the pretty boys of the game. Rovilson admits that he wasn't surprised. "Everyone was expecting us to be the hunks; but I'd like to think that we were the clowns. We were, well, the Clunks," he shares. Marc, on the other hand, calls their duo "The Village Idiots."

And that's pretty much their on-screen persona. Blasting that dumb-hunks stereotype, Marc and Rovilson are sophisticated, well-traveled, and self-deprecating. Expect the guys to put each other down a lot, all in the name of hamming it up for the cam.

Rovilson shares that he felt motivated by the disappointing performance of the Philippine teams last season--one duo was even eliminated during the very first episode. "Absolutely motivating. I couldn't sleep on the first night of the race. I was dreading that we would come in last on the very first pit stop, with Allan Wu saying --The Philippines has done it again. You are the last team to arrive!'"

Both guys are very confident that the audience will love them. "The whole time, we were very aware that the camera was capturing our every move. We worked it. Hey, we're two guys from TV, so we know how it is. Plus, Marc's there to pose and angle for the camera on my behalf," Rovilson says.

Marc shares, "Anything that has to do with strength or stamina--Rovilson's the man. On the other hand, I have the sense of direction, and I'm really analytical. So we complement each other."

He adds, "On the show, we were the clowns whilst being very competitive. We'd like to think that we had a great time. Yes, it was about winning; but at the end of the day, you wanna have a great time. It's an opportunity of a lifetime. You're traveling around the world with one of your best friends. Sometimes it was really just about kicking back and enjoying it. Sure we play it up sometimes but when they watch the show, they'll see Rovilson and I being Rovilson and I. It's who we are in real life. We are idiots."

Pretty, amazing

While the previous season had contestants facing challenges at major destinations in Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and even the Middle East, this season, viewers will get a generous dose of adventure as The Amazing Race Asia 2 goes far and wide, racing across four continents.

Plus, I've been hearing that this season's cast so well. "This is a faster, hipper, younger, more exciting batch. During our first meeting together, I swear, I thought we were in an audition for America's Next Top Model," Rovilson tells me.

Marc adds, "This is the best season of the show. It beats all the other seasons, even the ones from the US. There are some unbelievable characters in this season, including the other Philippine team, a couple from Cavite."

"They are--how do I say it--controversial," Rovilson says.

Aside from the buzz, expect the unexpected. Expect two guys who are out there to have fun. Expect a whole lot of laughs. Expect Team Marc and Rovilson, or Rovilson and Marc to represent the country well.

It's gonna be a blast. Fo' shizzle.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:49:44 PM »
In tonight's "Racers Revealed" show, it was revealed that Marc is 35 while Rovilson is 34. I guess the guys wanted to shave a few years off their age.  :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:29:10 PM »
After watching "Racers Revealed" tonight, I'm not going to like this team. Not at all.
Just here to visit.

nikita

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:26:53 AM »
Mactor's. Marc obvioisly wants Allan's job. :cmaslol

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
You think?  :cmaslol :cmaslol :cmaslol
Just here to visit.

nikita

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 04:44:07 AM »
Rovilson wants it more.  :jumpy:

Offline gardatito

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:47:32 AM »
Rovilson's a stripper ! Marc's a Son Of A Gun ! :keeta: :umn: :duno: :dontgo: :nopoints :bump :poop :wall: :spank:

Offline ichihara_yuuko

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »
HA! Go Marc and Rovilson... I do support them, even though they get annoying sometimes but they still are fun to watch. A nice break from the serious aura of the other contestants.

nikita

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 03:28:27 AM »
You mean it's fun to go around a foreign country with fake mustaches?  Would you actually do that yourself?  :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:20:33 AM »
In episode 13, two things happened at the mat:

1. Marc and Rovilson did their ridiculous twirl.
2. In a voiceover, one of them stated "we wanted to make people laugh" (in playing the game).

Isn't it nice that neither of them has a job as a comedian?

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 06:59:39 PM »
In episode 13, two things happened at the mat:

1. Marc and Rovilson did their ridiculous twirl.
2. In a voiceover, one of them stated "we wanted to make people laugh" (in playing the game).

Isn't it nice that neither of them has a job as a comedian?

Or a clown? (and ironically enough, the two actual clowns that have been on TAR didn't mug as much as M/R)

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
They actually were real and that's why people liked them.
Just here to visit.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
Even their detractors on the other sites will have to admit M/R went out with a little class.  :tup:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:26:37 PM »

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I disliked them precisely because they were seldom real and always mugging for the cameras.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:41:56 PM »
The Duke website

The dukedom of Marc and Rovilson

By Ed Biado

What do you get when you put two wacky, athletic and insanely attractive guys on a non-sporty and not-so-wacky cable TV show that will be seen by people throughout the continent? Is it a recipe for disaster or a match made in heaven? Let’s find out!

Just a little over a year since their Asian television debut as a tandem, best buddies Marc Nelson and Rovilson Fernandez (or Rovilson Fernandez and Marc Nelson, depending on who you think should get top billing) are back on AXN, doing one of the many things they’re good at, hosting. Ladies and gents, hail to The Duke!

“The Duke is a show about successful men—what they like, what they do and how they got to where they are. A Duke is the envy of every guy and the desire of every woman. We are here to inform, educate and entertain you on all topics concerning the modern-day Duke,” Marc states.

A magazine talk show that will focus on the lifestyles of rich and powerful men in the region, The Duke is conceived to cater to the young adult male, a demographic that is greatly deprived of relevant small screen viewing in preference to his female counterpart.

Marc explains, “There is certainly a lack of men’s lifestyle shows out there. There’s plenty of sports-related shows, but none that inform a guy about the lifestyle issues that concern him.” The Duke does exactly that. It covers topics that young men who are aspiring to be a Duke would be interested in—politics, finance, sex, wellness and even style.

Duke-hood

But what is a Duke, anyway? Why would we want to watch a show about him? The show’s definition is a man who is in control of his life. Age and wealth don’t determine his success. Rather, it’s his drive, desire and dream that matter.

Both Rovilson and Marc opine that being a Duke is aspirational and modestly declare that they are nowhere near that stature. Rovilson further insists that it’s not a self-proclaimed title and that “it’s [going to be] others who will give you that label.”

He also shares how he plans to be that man, “The commonality amongst most of the Dukes we’ve interviewed is that they’re gazillionaires. I’m not interested in that aspect. But I do want the other things they’ve achieved: respect, [the difference they made] in their community, immortality, humility. I’d start by changing within. Embrace the ‘Duke’ mentality.” And he quotes, “Your attitude determines your latitude.”

Marc adds, “I think men all over the world can appreciate the finer things in life. Even as a struggling student or backpacker, I loved looking at nice cars, imagining beautiful resorts or [wanting] to jet off in a private plane. Appreciating [those things] motivates you to work towards them and the Dukes we feature are examples of how to get there.”

On the show

The Duke is definitely different, both in context and format, from what the duo is used to. As we’ve witnessed on The Amazing Race Asia, they’re not the exactly the most serious men around. Why them? How are they going to play the part of hard-hitting interviewers?

AXN executives have long been contemplating on a show for men and right after The Amazing Race, they also wanted to have a show with the boys. Rovilson describes it as two parallel ideas that, somehow, met at some point.

Marc says, “[The network] asked us to be part of the show. So, we can only assume it was because they liked what they saw of us during [the race].” He says the different format is a welcome and challenging change.

He jokes, “On Sports Unlimited, I’m always without my shirt on. It’s just, ‘Which board shorts will I be wearing today?’” He also mentions how new it is to him, having someone pick out his suits and tie his shoelaces just so it would be perfect; just so it would be “Duke”-worthy.

“Although the format is completely different from what Asia is expecting us to be in, I think that’s [also] the appeal. We are simply going to be ourselves and let the chips fall where they may. But most important, we’ll try not to embarrass the Philippines or our families,” Rovilson suffixes and then, exclaims, “You’ll get the exact same guys you’ve loved and/or hated on TV, but with a better wardrobe!”

Boys, interrupted

Perhaps to make sure that the guys are in check, AXN added a female co-host. Eunice Olsen, a former Miss Singapore Universe and the youngest Nominated Member of Parliament, is a recognizable face in Singaporean show-business.

Marc and Rovilson say she’s the serious one, the one who makes sense and “is certainly holding her own,” even though everyone was thinking she’d have a hard time adjusting to the two.

“We’re starting to break her down,” Marc kiddingly reveals their goal of easing her into becoming one of the boys. “She may get fired from Parliament towards the end of the season!”

The bro-mance

The boys are unquestionably excited about the show and about working with each other. They say that they are equally supportive of one another and no battle of the wits will ever take place, except when it’s friendly.

They get to travel the world, try new things and talk to successful men worth looking up to—and all those things they get to do with their closest ally. “It doesn’t get any better than that,” Rovilson expresses.

The show promises inspiring stories, studio discussions on male issues and personality profiling like no other, topped off with Marc and Rovilson’s witty repartee. Marc says, “Everyone from a tricycle driver to a CEO can appreciate what we have to show them.”

Therefore, as much as The Duke hangs on many threads, it all boils down to their “unpredictably explosive chemistry,” as they put it. They finish each other’s sentence, have parallel thoughts and say the same jokes. That’s probably the reason why they were chosen to host the show in the first place. And just so the public wouldn’t be disappointed, here’s their only disclaimer: “Don’t expect too many love scenes!”

The Duke premieres Monday, Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. on AXN.

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=goodLife1_feb7_2009

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:15:47 PM »

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I disliked them precisely because they were seldom real and always mugging for the cameras.

Exactly..  :jam:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »

At least no other racer will ever be as decadent as Rovilson in Germany...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
haha cdfe  :lol:
And I wanted them to win!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
Team Singapore won and beat these two out! :hearts:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
haha cdfe  :lol:
And I wanted them to win!
yeah, they were actually my definition of a good team (good racers, funny players and not aggressive to the point of making enemies) but they lacked brains in the end. Perhaps Luke got his inspiration from Collin?
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »

I don't know what made me write that original statement, but if anyone read my recaps, people will know how much I disliked Mutt & Revolting, so much to the point their fan club targeted my blog every week. Not even Michael McKay's statements to me helped me in their eyes. I was so happy they lost.
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »

I don't know what made me write that original statement, but if anyone read my recaps, people will know how much I disliked Mutt & Revolting, so much to the point their fan club targeted my blog every week. Not even Michael McKay's statements to me helped me in their eyes. I was so happy they lost.

They would've been good 4th placers...though I would've liked it better for P&V to win
The story so far:

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
Seems like the perfect thread to post this in...

BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
That just reminded how much I hated this team. Oh. The Pain!
Just here to visit.