Author Topic: TARA2: Adrian & Collin (Singapore)  (Read 12673 times)

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
TARA2: Adrian & Collin (Singapore)
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/season2/teams/adrian-collin/index.html

Gym Buddies      

From Left             
Member 1             
Name       :       Collin Low
Occupation       :       Regional Sales Director
Age       :       35
Hometown       :       Singapore

Member 2             
Name       :       Adrian Yap (hearing impaired)
Occupation       :       Business Development Manager
Age       :       27
Hometown       :       Singapore

Young, energetic and passionate about their fitness regime, gym buddies, Collin and Adrian from Singapore are in such good shape that they could be the perfect poster boys for being fit and healthy. In fact, one can hardly tell that this team holds a secret which can prove to either be a setback or a huge advantage in The Amazing Race Asia! The jovial pair will proudly tell you, and expressively too, that Adrian has a hearing disability and relies on sign language to communicate with his teammate, Collin.

Having first met in a gym nine months ago, where Collin works as a part-time fitness and pilates instructor, these two fitness fanatics found similar interests in swimming, running and traveling and formed a quick friendship. So when they learned about the second season of their favorite race around the world, it was not hard to decide to sign up together.

While some may see Adrian's hearing disability as a hindrance in the race, the guys feel that it may reinforce their friendship. As Collin explains, "This is a good opportunity to know each other better. I like the challenges. Even though we are both active in sports, I believe that this race requires more than just physical fitness, to work as a team."

While Adrian may be younger, he will have you know that he is no pushover to be underestimated. Claiming to be the more adventurous of the duo, Adrian is always on a look out for challenges in his life to conquer.

In fact, The Amazing Race Asia is not his first adventure around the globe. Last year, he took part in a prestigious Clipper Race, an annual round the world yacht race that saw him navigating the seas for three whole months. Not only was he the first deaf Asian person to enter the race, he actually had no sea faring experience to speak of!

Just the same, this team is looking forward to having the race open up opportunities for them to get to know more of Asia. Describing their love of travel as a great passion, both Collin and Adrian profess a great hunger for knowledge about the world and people's culture and custom.

For their game strategy, both are planning to rely on teamwork, and will not start to blame the other if something does not happen as planned. Collin also promises that his team will always be using ethical ways to win. And if that doesn't work, they can rely on their uncanny ability to figure things out together. As Adrian describes it, "We think alike in so many ways, usually in unanticipated situations. It's amazing."

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARA2: Adrian & Collin (Singapore)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:28:27 PM »
Having watched "Racers Revealed" tonight, I'm going to like this team a lot. I'm going to be rooting for them quite a bit.
Just here to visit.

nikita

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:21 AM »
I like these two guys. They are far more likeable than Team Mactor RP.

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
Yes, Im begging and praying that Team Singapore beats the Matcor boys in the final leg.

So far the matcors have been dominating but the race could just change in an instance.

So far Adrian and Collin have been calm and composed and they just need a little bit of luck to go their way to beat the matcor boys.  :waves:

Im just thinking about what Rovilson said : "You live and die by your taxi driver"...So far they have been living by it, but is it bound to happen that the taxi driver in the last leg might screw them even though dominating the previous legs. Set up for greatness but take a big fall.  :jumpy:

The race is definitely hotting up with it heading into the concluding stages.   :meow:

I would gladly let the matcor boys dominate for 4 more legs before a taxi driver/some bad luck/random task screw them in the last leg to let Adrian & Collin or anyone else take first place.  :yess:

Please let that happen!  :knuckles:  :pray:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:40:24 AM by jonnal »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:46:45 PM by apskip »

nikita

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:30:55 AM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I am happy that Collin and Adrian outsmarted the Mactors. Marc and Rovilson were SO stupid. That's what they get for bing overconfident.  :lol3:

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »
If you do not know the winner yet, please look away.

Congrats winners! Big thumbs up to Adrian for storming through the final roadblock! :lolmao:

Thanks for making Singapore proud! What a heavenly feeling!  :shower: :party:

Picture and article of them in my local newpaper:

Nice to see TAR getting some recognition!  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:52:22 AM by jonnal »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v-BA6Ams4O0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v-BA6Ams4O0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Sony commercial.  :sucks

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
He quits job for his passion 

LOOKING at Collin Low now, you would never have guessed he was once an overweight kid weighing 90kg when he was 16 years old.

The trim, fit, lean machine was the winner of The Amazing Race Asia Season 2, along with hearing-impaired team member Adrian Yap.

The pair won US$100,000 ($141,000) in cash and split the money between them.

Now, with his share of the winnings and an additional $50,000 from his own pocket, Collin has invested in a pilates studio.

The 37-year-old told The New Paper: 'Pilates has always been my passion.

'It has always been my dream to set up a pilates retreat by the beach in Bali when I retire. The opening of this studio is the first step toward realising that dream.'

With Alvin Giam, Collin co-owns the new Pilates Bodyworks Holland branch, located at Buona Vista Community Club.

This is the first time a full-fledged pilates studio has opened in a community club.

Alvin was the founder of Pilates Bodyworks in 1999. It was the first studio to bring pilates into Asia.

Collin has been an instructor there for the last eight years.

At the Holland branch's opening on Saturday, he said: 'Alvin's passion for the work has inspired me. He gave up his career as a lawyer to go into pilates.'

Following in Alvin's footsteps, Collin recently quit his job as assistant vice-president of sales in iHub Media, an Internet marketing company, to open the studio.

Reaching out to masses

Collin said: 'To a lot of people, pilates is a very Westernised concept. We're here to change that mindset.

'We want to try and reach out to the masses and to make pilates as accessible as possible in terms of location and languages.'

The age of their students spans from as young as 9 to as old as 91. They hope to reach out to more of the elderly.

'Not only is it gentle on the body, it is a very functional exercise regime where people can bring it out and use it in daily life,' Collin said.

He believes that pilates helped alleviate the pain he used to suffer from a condition called rheumatoid arthritis. It causes swelling of the joints.

The opening over the weekend also turned out to be an Amazing Race Asia reunion of sorts.

We spotted the Singapore team from Season 3 of the race, as well as the Malaysia and Thailand teams from Season 2.

They said they had flown in specially for the event.

'We just had to come to see him fulfill his dream,' said Natasha Monks, who represented Thailand in season 2. 'We're very proud of him.'

Nominated Member of Parliament Eunice Olsen was also there to officiate the event.

Kerri Teo, newsroom intern

This article was first published in The New Paper.

http://business.asiaone.com/Business/SME%2BCentral/Prime%2BMovers/Story/A1Story20090408-134158.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
wow, that really is an uncommon dream...but good for Collin
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:05 PM »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:27:31 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.