Author Topic: Phil in the news ..  (Read 346132 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Phil in the news ..
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
Be still my heart!

Phil in the morning!

AND---Phil in a kilt! :luvu:

CBS Sunday morning Early Show on the golfing across Scotland thing from last August...

Please CBS--be kind! We NEED that video!!  :funny:

Did anyone get it??

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
I've had to much Julie, I want Amazing Race and Phil back.

It would be so awesome if TAR13 was a summer season like TAR5 (i think TAR5 was the summer season). How awesome: Big Brother three nights a week, Amazing Race, and no school.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2008, 08:31:55 PM »
 :jumpy: :wohoo:  Video of Phil in a kilt! (Okay, really video of Phil golfing across Scotland :lol:)...

Thank you CBS! :luvu:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:37:52 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2008, 03:36:48 AM »
:wohoo: Phil!!  Whew.  Is he hot or whaaat!!  Any fans around here??! ;D 

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:51 AM »
Yeah!  thanks CBS...and Peach! :hugs: 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
News
April 20, 2008 8:50 PM

The Insider: Keoghan’s Amazing Grace
By Michele Greppi

Here’s a prescription for a sort of homeo-techno instant mood-booster that makes you want to jump up and embrace the world. At least that’s the effect it had on The Insider—whom faithful readers know to be a curmudgeonly couch potato who doesn’t jump to anything except conclusions—when she saw it on “CBS Sunday Morning” April 13.

It’s “The Amazing Race” host Phil Keoghan’s account of hitting a golf ball 107 miles from one coast of Scotland to the other in four days. As an odyssey, it was at once whimsical, Olympic, daunting and down-right huggable. As a story, it’s part travelogue, part everyman star search and all inspirational. The only complaint here? It’s way too short and is not going to spawn a companion book.

Think The Insider has lost her critical marbles? Check out “The Long Drive” for yourself at the “Sunday Morning” section of CBSNews.com. It’ll be there anytime you want a little pick-me-up with a particularly amazing ending.

“It was a terrific armchair tour of Scotland,” said Rand Morrison, “Sunday Morning” executive producer. “It was perfect for Masters Sunday.”

Mr. Keoghan practices what he preaches in motivational speaking engagements and in the 2004 book titled “No Opportunity Wasted, NOW,” which is rooted in his approach to life, a philosophy very much affected by a near-death experience he had at 19. You can’t actually ever say “no” to anything and, at least in his house, you can’t say “can’t.”

Mr. Keoghan’s “Why not?” attitude is familiar to anyone who has followed the career that took him from his native New Zealand to this country and a series of TV assignments that frequently take the form of adventure and challenges and encounters with people who thrive on both.

“I love making celebrities out of ordinary people,” said Mr. Keoghan, who is famous within CBS for being a phenomenally good guy.

Some, like The Insider, have particularly fond memories of his stint as a “road warrior” with the too-short-lived “Fox After Breakfast” and its ensemble that included “Dancing With the Stars” host Tom Bergeron, “Survivor” host Jeff Probst and Orlando Jones.

And let’s not forget the late, great Bob the Sock Puppet, a smart-aleck character that was among the first things jettisoned when brainy Fox executives began to tinker with the elements that made them take the live show from FX to Fox stations across the country in the mid-‘90s.

“I have a piece of his fur up on my wall,” Mr. Keoghan said after The Insider tracked him down to gush about his debut on “Sunday Morning.” (He had already gotten a “lovely note” from CBS sportscaster Jim Nantz.)

“The Long Drive” was inspired by a spirited conversation Mr. Keoghan had with a Scotch taster he had featured about five years ago in one of his “Keoghan’s Heroes” pieces for “The Early Show” on CBS.

“The whisky will have to take a certain amount of credit,” said Mr. Keoghan, who swung by Sterling Castle of “Braveheart” lore to sip a while with the taster on this trip.

Jack Renaud, a longtime producer-friend; wife Louise, with whom Mr. Keoghan has worked since they met 18 years ago; and 12-year-old daughter Elle were with him.

By summer he’ll be globetrotting for the 12th installment of the Emmy-winning “Amazing Race” and its always motley crew of ordinary people-turned-celebrities.

It’s a role for which he’s so cosmically perfect that “Race” fans can only give thanks he didn’t get the “Survivor” host role that went to pal Probst.

“Race” always separates what its host calls “the NOW people” from “the nah people

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/04/the_insider_keoghans_amazing_g.php

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2008, 07:09:55 AM »
I saw this as well this morning...

So some time between 4/13 (airing of Phil's golf thingy)---and now--there was an interview w/ Phil. who has his wife and daughter w/ him.

SO if Phil was just about to start work for TAR, would he really have his family with him?

Are we too early?

RFF's Golden Rule:

nikita

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »
Great find georgiapeach!  :yess: My TAR fix has been cured...for a few moments anyway.  :funny:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
I saw this as well this morning...

So some time between 4/13 (airing of Phil's golf thingy)---and now--there was an interview w/ Phil. who has his wife and daughter w/ him.

SO if Phil was just about to start work for TAR, would he really have his family with him?

Are we too early?

I'm confused so somebody please clarify. Wasn't this Scotland golf program filmed last summer when Phil actually did it? Wouldn't the references to his wife and child be to their accompanying on that trip LAST SUMMER?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:29:21 AM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »
The golf was filmed in August but just aired on the 13th.

I read it that the interview was now, after it aired on Sunday Morning...

Keoghan said after The Insider tracked him down to gush about his debut on “Sunday Morning.”

Just puzzled here... No reason why his family couldn't be with him of course--just seems odd that if he just finished the cycling race and then had a very short time before the race was starting---that he would bring his family from NZ??

I'm just thinking that we may be early....but lord know I would REALLY love to be wrong about that! The sooner the better for me!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2008, 04:39:35 AM »
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20071108/keoghan_etalk_071107/20071108/
An interview where Phil explains why Canadians aren't allowed to apply for TAR atm.
There are a couple of crazy Canadian dudes who have a petition to try and allow them to compete - they've even volunteered for a 15 min penalty at airports to offset the supposed "advantage" that a racer would have travelling on a Canadian passport http://www.teamcanadaamazingrace.com/index.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2008, 05:00:49 AM »
 :lol: Oh that's funny a couple of prairie guys are big fans

Thanks for sharing Mrs Shrek

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
Those Candian prairie guys are not just big fans, of which there must be over a million in Canada. They are agitators for the opportunity for Canadians to join Americans in the casting of the American Race. With the main reason why Canadians being excluded by WRP/CBS, from what I recall, being legal issues, I think they are just Blowin' in the Wind.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2008, 12:02:21 AM »
Phil on TAR:

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/06/amazing_race_keeps_it_fresh.php

June 1, 2008 8:47 PM

‘Amazing Race’ Keeps It Fresh
Five-Time Reality Competition Winner Isn’t Resting on Its Laurels
By Allison J. Waldman, Special to TelevisionWeek

If you are looking for a sure thing when the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards nominations are announced, bet on “The Amazing Race” being one of five in the reality-competition programming category. In the five years in which this Emmy has been awarded, “The Amazing Race” has won it every time. And when they added the category of host for this type of programming last year, “The Amazing Race’s” Phil Keoghan was the winner. (SIC)
With those facts in mind, Mr. Keoghan would have the right to be pretty confident about the Emmy nominations, but he’s not. “I hope we’re still included in the nominations. I think we’ve maintained the same standard,” he said. “In fact, I feel like last season we actually went up a notch from where we were before.”

Last season was the 12th edition of “The Amazing Race,” and it was good enough to warrant CBS ordering two more seasons, for fall 2008 and spring 2009.

What made 2007 so strong? “We had some new people come into the production and we went to new countries, and there’s an energy and an enthusiasm that comes to our show and keeps it fresh,” said Mr. Keoghan.

“One of the redeeming things about ‘The Amazing Race’ that keeps it alive and fresh is we’re able to go and establish a new stage in every season in different countries. We’re not going to a studio where we know it’s going to be 69 degrees and we know we’re going to be working with professional people who always work that soundstage,” said Mr. Keoghan. “We’re going to new countries, working with new people, and when they get caught up in the enthusiasm of ‘Race,’ it keeps it fresh for all of us. Their enthusiasm reminds us that we’re working on something incredibly special. They bring something to it themselves because they’re looking at it from a totally different perspective.”

“The Amazing Race” creates great entertainment and excitement for viewers, but there’s something more that Emmy voters can see when they judge the submissions each year. “In the viewer’s mind, because the show rolls out once a week, they’ve made the assumption that we’re taking a week to go and set up and get everything together. People in the industry understand that, but the audience is only starting to get that now, what’s involved for us as a production to stay ahead of them and how challenging that is,” said Mr. Keoghan. “People in the industry know what it’s like to get 30 to 40 cameras through customs and signing equipment in and out—every bit down to the smallest microphone has to be documented in and out of countries. They understand that taking one trip to a country is something, but if you’re doing it every other day and they have to negotiate in and out of airports every single leg, lights, tripods, microphones, that have to make it. The show has to go on.”

Like covering a sporting event, once “The Amazing Race” begins, nothing can stop it. “It is without a doubt the most complicated show physically that I’ve ever been a part of, because there’s no way to really control it when it’s under way. You have to roll with it. There are times when I am literally racing to the mat in one direction while they’re coming toward me from the other,” said Mr. Keoghan. “It’s incredibly difficult to get accurate information sometimes, to know exactly where they are. We make calculations about where they should be, but when you’re maybe in India and there’s a protest on the street or there’s a march you didn’t know was going to be happening that day, things happen.”

What makes “The Amazing Race” so amazing is that it’s not like any other race. “There have been races on television since television began, and most are about elite racers. Most racers on TV are racers that are the best at what they do. What is so different about our race is that we have people who are certainly not extraordinary in their ability to race. They are generally not fit, there are beer bellies, tall, short, black, white, some have competed with one leg, some have had recent knee surgery. They are not your extraordinary racers,” said Mr. Keoghan.

“Until ‘The Amazing Race’ came along, I don’t think we’d ever seen ordinary people in extraordinary situations. And not a fly-by-night setup. This is a monumental thing we’re doing. When we set out, I remember we all took a breath after the first leg of the first race and we all said, ‘Oh my God, what did we just unleash? And can we keep this going?’ Speaking for myself, it was a little overwhelming.”

If “The Amazing Race” is nominated for an Emmy again, Mr. Keoghan will be thrilled, but he’s not writing any speeches yet. “I learned a long time ago not to judge what people like, because I’m certainly not an expert. The more I learn about television, the more I realize I don’t know.
“Our job as television producers and television makers is to create something to watch and entertain them. I feel lucky that what we make does appeal to people and it’s something that I feel proud of. That’s a privilege. It’s a privilege to work on something that you actually really believe in and you can sell without any reservation at all. I love selling this show. I love the reaction I get from people.”

“The Amazing Race” is not just another TV show to Mr. Keoghan. “People say what is your job like, and I say, ‘It’s a little bit like having a seat on the floor of Madison Square Garden as the event flashes in front of my eyes.’ I’m lucky enough to have a great seat. I’m right in the middle of it. The energy is absolutely infectious. There’s a real lack of repetition that you see with so many other shows where you go back to the same set, the same procedures. In terms of experience, I would much rather do 20 seasons of ‘The Amazing Race’ that’s always going to be different than 20 seasons of the same show at the same location.”

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2008, 06:11:14 AM »
:lol3:

Packing tips from Phil:
Phil Keoghan, host of CBS’s popular reality show “The Amazing Race,” lugs just one big suitcase and one backpack around the world for the entire monthlong shoot of the series. He has a secret for packing success. “I never pack for more than a week,” said Mr. Keoghan. “No matter where I’m going, what I pack is different combinations.”

To keep things simple between shoots, Mr. Keoghan carries photos of every outfit or as he calls them, “idiot shots,” to show him exactly what to wear for each episode. To keep his clothes organized, he uses Eagle Creek packing folders, which cost between $22 and $28, depending on size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/travel/15pracpacking.html?_r=1&ref=travel&oref=slogin
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
CBS press tour:

Heeee....

After a nice conversation with Jamie, I left the party -- only to get caught up in talk with "Amazing Race" star Phil Keoghan, who loves to tell me about the time a pig in Pigeon Forge tried to bite his toe off. Ah, good times.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/telebuddy/archives/2008/07/east_tennessean_1.shtml
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
CBS, CW & Showtime Press Tour Stars Party 
     HOLLYWOOD - JULY 18: Phil Keoghan arrives at the CBS, CW & Showtime Press Tour Stars Party at Boulevard 3 on July 18, 2008 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage) 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2008, 02:23:37 AM »
Time to keep track of Phil  :tup: (August 8th)

TV star Phil Keoghan set to inspire local youth
Wednesday, 30 July 2008, 12:49 pm
Press Release: Wellington City Council 

NEWS RELEASE
30 July 2008

TV star Phil Keoghan set to inspire local youth

Wellington senior college pupils and youth group members next week get the opportunity to meet and be inspired by Phil Keoghan, host of TV’s The Amazing Race, author of No Opportunity Wasted and winner of the World Class New Zealand Creative Industries Award for 2008.

Born in Christchurch, Phil Keoghan has worked in over 70 countries around the world as host, producer, writer and cameraman. He has won five Emmy Awards for his work.

His book No Opportunity Wasted (N.O.W) tells how, after a near-death experience at the age of 19, he set out to live life to the fullest by achieving exotic goals and taking risks. Since then, he’s broken a world bungy jumping record, dived in the world’s longest underwater caves, eaten a meal on top of an erupting volcano and renewed his wedding vows underwater. He has even appeared on Oprah with his list of ‘100 things to do before he dies’.

Around 60 senior pupils have been invited from secondary schools across the city to hear Phil speak at the Michael Fowler Centre on Friday 8 August. Members of the Youth Council and local entrepreneurs have also been invited. Phil will give a presentation on his philosophy of life and will encourage the audience to “think big and challenge yourself”.

Deputy Mayor Ian McKinnon will introduce Phil and says he hopes the event will encourage young people to benefit from the example of Phil’s approach to life, and inspire them to be creative in their own lives.

“Phil has an exciting and colourful life story and is a fantastic role model for young people. He is a great supporter and a wonderful ambassador for New Zealand abroad, and we are delighted to welcome him to the capital city.

“In Wellington we pride ourselves on our creativity and the Council is always looking for ways to encourage imaginative thinking. This event is sure to be a great opportunity for young people to be inspired by one of New Zealand’s top creative achievers.”

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK0807/S00282.htm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2008, 07:14:23 AM »
And before that he is filming Million Dollar Password on August 4 with Julie Chen!!

Mon August 4, 2008 2:30 PM
Julie Chen & Phil Keoghan

Regis Philbin returns to prime time to host MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD, a modern update of one of television's greatest game shows. This update takes the classic game and brings it to the 21st century with big celebrities, big money and big stakes. Contestants team up with some of the hottest stars, from Rosie O'Donnell, Betty White, Rachael Ray and Neil Patrick Harris to "High School Musical's" Monique Coleman, to earn up to one million dollars. One player from the team is told secret passwords and can use only one-word clues to get the teammate to guess them. If the player and the celebrity can work well together and become a solid team, that player could uncover the MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD.

http://www.ocatv.com/shows/show/213
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2008, 12:25:49 PM »
 :jumpy: Who's going to remind me?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »
The show itself is airing Sundays at 9 according to TV Guide, oddly CBS says Sundays at 8 which is not true. But not sure when we will see Phil and Julie?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
Ah I see its an ad for being a part of the studio audience. I'm sure CBS will put a press release out prior to their appearance.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/cbs_entertainment/original/releases?id=3164&dpid=56

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »
I wonder what season this is from? 8? 9? is that Red Rocks or Arizona ???
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:04:37 PM by puddin »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »
I wonder what season this is from? 8? 9? is that Red Rocks or Arizona ???

I think it's from Season 8 at Lake Powell. Either the Arizona or Utah side, but I'm not sure which.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
And before that he is filming Million Dollar Password on August 4 with Julie Chen!!

Mon August 4, 2008 2:30 PM
Julie Chen & Phil Keoghan

Regis Philbin returns to prime time to host MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD, a modern update of one of television's greatest game shows. This update takes the classic game and brings it to the 21st century with big celebrities, big money and big stakes. Contestants team up with some of the hottest stars, from Rosie O'Donnell, Betty White, Rachael Ray and Neil Patrick Harris to "High School Musical's" Monique Coleman, to earn up to one million dollars. One player from the team is told secret passwords and can use only one-word clues to get the teammate to guess them. If the player and the celebrity can work well together and become a solid team, that player could uncover the MILLION DOLLAR PASSWORD.

http://www.ocatv.com/shows/show/213

follow up~

On a separate note, I was with Julie Chen yesterday. She is one of the celebrity guests on an upcoming Million Dollar Password and I was in the first row of the audience. She’s very smart and very pretty in person. The other celebrity was Phil Keoghan, the host of Amazing Race. Not so smart but nice looking and an awesome personality. He really connected with the audience between takes, as did Regis Philbin. Million Dollar Password follows Big Brother on Sunday nights–look for me! LOL

http://www.big-brother-videos.com/dan-memphis-fun-with-the-girls