Author Topic: The Amazing Race 12 in the Media  (Read 88000 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 12 in the Media
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2007, 12:32:28 PM »
Also in the episode is a list of their polls throughout the year.  One of which is what is the best reality show?

AR won that, next I believe was Dances With the Stars, Idol, Top Chef and then Survivor.

Poor survivor, no respect.  :yess:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: December 27, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »
I made a list of all the really good things I appreciate on TARFlies website:

1. Historical recaps of AR1 through AR11.
2. Weekly article during each Amazing Race, with AR12 done by The Air Controllers, Zach Behr and Shawn Pooley, and Carissa Gaghan.
3. TARticles for April 2003 through April 2007
4. Links to the Racers websites
5. Links to most Other TAR websites (with RFF prominently missing)
6. Links to CBS websites for AR1 to AR12

Then I thought about what is negative and disgusting about TARFlies. Let's start with the exclusion of RFF from their list of Other TAR websites. I don't know how this started, but it has gone on far too long. The individuals calling the shots at TARFlies should GROW UP! They should also replace Moderators such as one Rachel in Toronto, whose tag-line is "the bitchiest bitch" and I can vouch for the veracity of that from personal observation. I have a lot more I could be posting on TARFlies and so does TARAsiaFan. Neither of us do because of the restrictions and poisoned atmosphere that are currently in effect as a result of Rachel imposing her personal views as the policy of TARFLies. For example, no recaps are allowed because she thinks they are unnecessary. Why bother to fight it?; just walk away. So, my conclusion is that Josh Wolk and the boys at Entertainment Weekly just aren't very knowledgeable about the real TARFlies: it looks good from the outside, but parts of it are rotten on the inside.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:31 PM »
I can go on and on about TARFlies, but it's not worth it. I've made my feelings known about that place to a couple of people here. I've said what I had to say about it. Let's just say I like it here.  :js: :js: :js: :waves: :waves:
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2008, 12:37:23 AM »
Your Episode 9 Recap is here. :puter: :puter:
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Five comments on your recap, Ken:

1. This was a 24 hour pitstop in Mumbai.
2. The dialogue between Christina and Ronald about the direct flight may seem like Christina was the big victor for shutting him up, but in fact his point about nonstop vs. direct is incredibly important and Christina ignoring it indicates a level of major immaturity on her part. She wants to be the team captain, but can't recognize what is important.
3. Your statement "Mumbai to New Dehli, then to Beijing, then finally to Osaka. You see that route? That's a crazy route. They might as well flown to Abu Dhabi, then Osaka and probably would have arrived just as fast" is not valid. It only happens to be true for this specific case because of TK & Rachel's 7 hour wait in Delhi for the flight to Beijing. there are many flights Mumbai to Delhi and from Beijing to Osaka. There are a limited number of flights Delhi to Beijing, but if you hit it right, that would have been the BEST route.  TK&Rachel did not get the right travel agent, so they did not hit it right. For their timing, they should have been on the same route as the others, except on through Seoul.
4. "Rachel notices an empty airport (Delhi)." In fact the other teams stopped in Delhi 30 to 90 minutes later(schedules for that flight conflict), but none of the 3 teams got off there for a break nor were Tk&Rachel smart enough to check on alternate flight possibilities there during that period, when they could have switched to AI310 before it left ofr Hong Kong.
5. I think teams that went quickly to the second floor of Nishiwada Castle were either smart or lucky, because that vantage point gave them a view of the grounds form which the location of the cluebox was immedatiely clear.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:40:26 AM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
TK & Rachel's check in times were much closer to 10 am than 1:25 pm.  There were still long shadows when TK finished the Roadblock.

So I don't think it was a 24 hour Pit Stop.  More like 21 or 22 hours if it has to be a round number.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
Five comments on your recap, Ken:

1. This was a 24 hour pitstop in Mumbai.
2. The dialogue between Christina and Ronald about the direct flight may seem like Christina was the big victor for shutting him up, but in fact his point about nonstop vs. direct is incredibly important and Christina ignoring it indicates a level of major immaturity on her part. She wants to be the team captain, but can't recognize what is important.
3. Your statement "Mumbai to New Dehli, then to Beijing, then finally to Osaka. You see that route? That's a crazy route. They might as well flown to Abu Dhabi, then Osaka and probably would have arrived just as fast" is not valid. It only happens to be true for this specific case because of TK & Rachel's 7 hour wait in Delhi for the flight to Beijing. there are many flights Mumbai to Delhi and from Beijing to Osaka. There are a limited number of flights Delhi to Beijing, but if you hit it right, that would have been the BEST route.  TK&Rachel did not get the right travel agent, so they did not hit it right. For their timing, they should have been on the same route as the others, except on through Seoul.
4. "Rachel notices an empty airport (Delhi)." In fact the other teams stopped in Delhi 30 to 90 minutes later(schedules for that flight conflict), but none of the 3 teams got off there for a break nor were Tk&Rachel smart enough to check on alternate flight possibilities there during that period, when they could have switched to AI310 before it left ofr Hong Kong.
5. I think teams that went quickly to the second floor of Nishiwada Castle were either smart or lucky, because that vantage point gave them a view of the grounds form which the location of the cluebox was immedatiely clear.
Good points, apskip. In regards to Ron & Christina, I think she was not happy with the way he said it as opposed to the message itself. While the message was valid, I think the way he said it, interrupting Christina and then talking in a terse manner was not appreciated. Had he said it differently, his advice might have been accepted.
Just here to visit.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »
Bertram was nominated for a DGA Award in the reality catagory

REALITY PROGRAM

Craig Borders - "Who Wants To Be A Superhero" ("Episode 208") (Sci-Fi)
Stage Manager: Thomas Goodrich

Tony Croll - "Shooting Sizemore" ("Episode 101") (VH-1)

Scott Messick - "Pros vs. Joes" ("Episode 201") (Spike)
Associate Director: Andrew E. Nelson

Tony Sacco - "Project Runway" ("Fashion Giant, #403") (Bravo)
Associate Director: Paul Hogan

Bertram Van Munster - "The Amazing Race" ("Episode #1110") (CBS)
Segment Director: Evan Weinstein

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
By counting backward, AR11 leg 13 was finale in Hawaii/San Francisco, leg 12 was Guam, leg 11 was Macau and leg 10 was Hong Kong.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
according to thefutoncritic , Hong Kong is correct.
(#1110) We Are Trying To Make Love, Not War
 Teams get a kick out of their next destination when they're challenged by high flying Kung Fu Warriors while scaling a massive bamboo scaffold, on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS, Sunday, April 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »
I liked that episode, it was really good..

and Dustin and Kandice were the first team to check in out of all the teams who didn't take a fast forward....just like in Legs 7,8,9,10,11,12 *gloats*

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »
Roush Rules!!  :jam:

Roush Dispatch The Amazing Race's Grand Finale

Phil Keoghan greets winning team members TK and Rachel at the finish line by Monty Brinton/CBSIt’s so rare in the world of reality TV when everything ends just how I want it to. Cheers all around to the latest cycle of The Amazing Race, one of the most enjoyable runnings of the around-the-world competition in a long while. Rare for this or any show, in Sunday’s finale we were left with three teams you could easily root for instead of against. That said, my favorite team won, and the runners-up each walked away chagrined but hardly bitter, given the family bonding (between father and daughter, grandfather and grandson) that occurred along the way.

Sunday’s satisfying finale came on the heels of last week’s thrilling penultimate episode, an exhilarating nail-biter that found Zen couple TK and Rachel coming from behind (having survived a last-place finish the week before on a non-elimination leg, which forced them to perform an extra “speed bump” challenge) and squeaking into the final three. This bumped the annoying and constantly squabbling Nate and Jen, the latter a non-stop headache who earned every bit of the bad karma that resulted in her being bounced on her birthday.

The final leg, which took the teams from Taipei to Anchorage, Alaska, was pretty closely contested, although there never seemed much of a chance for Nick and Don (the grandson-grandfather duo) to cross the finish line first. Still, Don holds the record for the oldest contestant (at 69) to make it to the end. Well done. If anything, the younger player was the liability at the end, not reading the clue closely enough and leaving the gear behind at the outdoor-supply store, putting them behind on the fish-gutting challenge. (The fact that TK and Rachel made the mistake of going into the crab tank—ouch—kept things competitive.)

While Christina and Ron managed to stay ahead for most of the final leg, having found their groove (and Ron his humanity) over the last few weeks to become the dominant team, everyone caught up at the brain-teasing final challenge, in which they had to group together items representing each leg of the race. Rachel figured out the puzzle first, clinching the win as they sprinted to the finish line.

Everyone found reason to celebrate at the end of this race: TK and Rachel for coming from behind to win, Ronald and Christina for strengthening their bond, and Nick and Don for proving that age and a generation gap aren’t necessarily deterrents in this game.

The only thing I would criticize in any of this is CBS’s scheduling of this crown jewel in its reality arsenal. Rushed on the air in the wake of Viva Laughlin’s fast fade, the show burned off episodes on the Sundays before Christmas and New Year’s (when even the most devoted fan tends to have better things to do), and the finale aired on one of the biggest football nights of the year (airing directly opposite the genuinely exciting Packers-Giants battle, which went into overtime). I often get asked by frustrated fans if a network is actively trying to kill or harm a show. I almost never answer in the affirmative, but in this case, you can’t help but wonder.

Of course, the scheduling is out of the hands of those talented people who make The Amazing Race so amazing. Once again, the show proved why it has won the reality-competition Emmy every year since the category was established. No reason to think it won’t take it home again this year.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Roush-Dispatch/Amazing-Races-Grand/800031444

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
Roush rules! He's always liked TAR and has always been fair to the show. :jam: :jam: :jam:
Just here to visit.