Author Topic: TAR Detective Summer School  (Read 6470 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
TAR Detective Summer School
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
I thought it might be fun for all of us Detectives  to use some of our downtime here to learn some new tricks before the new season starts, and was hoping that  maybe we can all help each other to upgrade our skills! Airline searches, photosite searches, Google GE, GPS coordinates, how you organize your data, fancy techy tools-- whatever will help us share spoiler info out on the site as quickly as possible. Things that will help all of us detectives to do a better job--TAR Detective Summer School!  :happy:

I am the most untechy of us all and have learned so much from each of you--but there is lots and lots more I'd like to be able to do so I do hope that all of you with a particular expertise will be willing to share your knowledge and skills with the rest of us (might be mostly me! :lol:).

If you are brand new here, please go to the Support Page first. You will find info there on how to post a link, how to post a picture, and how to post a picture using attachments, and much, much, more that will help you get started joining in here.

WARNING: TAR Detectiveness is highly addictive and very contagious. It may result in aberrant behavior and long periods of sleep deprivation. Contact with infected persons should be minimized to avoid an epidemic. Contamination may occur after minimal exposure. Significant use of internally applied alcohol may minimize symptoms.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 04:35:06 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR Detective Summer School
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »
Okay, I'll start the ball rolling!

1) I'm a Google Earth (GE) novice and spent most of last season at war with the darned thing! (:;)  I think I have finally taught it to not to leave me stranded in West Africa every time it opens but I have so much more to learn!

--embarrassingly  :-[, I know next to nothing about using coordinates. I have found this site on GPS Coordinates very helpful--but are there other tricks (or simpler ones) that I should know?

--what is a kmz file and should I know how to post one? If so, how please? (language for dummies please ;))

--Are there any hints for using the new highly detailed Peeping Tom features for in city Googling?

--Why do sometimes some of you only see "cloud cover" and I get the same unclouded view every single time? Is there a "stock" view as compared to a "live" view?

--which of the little "mark on your map" boxes (roads, attractions, etc) should I check? Which are useful and which are not?

--How do I do a tilted view like this one?

Still with me?? :lol:

2) I would very much like to learn to "capture" the previews and all from the show on TV to my computer--just so puddin doesn't always have to do it for us and as a backup in case her power goes out again! But so far the consensus seems to be that since I only have a laptop (a nice one with lots of lovely memory) that this might not be possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I am willing to purchase/download/install whatever I would need but need some advice please! I am using Windows IE6 if that matters.

Those are my biggies--what about y'all? Teach one/ share one/ learn one--I hope!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:15:20 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:05:12 PM »
WARNING: TAR Detectiveness is highly addictive and very contagious. It may result in aberrant behavior and long periods of sleep deprivation. Contact with infected persons should be minimized to avoid an epidemic. Contamination may occur after minimal exposure. Significant use of internally applied alcohol may minimize symptoms.

:chillpill:

Dr. Boingo suggests the following treatment for your condition:
- Put the mouse pointer down.
- Step away from the keyboard.
- Turn off the computer.
- Walk over to the TV, and tune into Big Brother 8, July 5th, and put brain into neutral.
- Enjoy your summer with mindless "hamster" entertainment.
- If symptoms persist, repeat again from the beginning.

The "Chenbot" can be your friend.   :lol3: :snicker: ;D :lol: ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »
Heee...Boingo watches BB?! I wouldn't have guessed! :gva:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »

The "Chenbot" can be your friend.   :lol3: :snicker: ;D :lol: ;)

its also a great drinking game :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
My specialty as a TAR DETECTIVE is airline flights. Here is a primer on flights:

I start with a vast knowledge of airport codes built from years of international travel and being a travel agent for 3 years. Airport codes are 3-character descriptors that uniquely identify each airport in the world. For example, Newark is EWR, OHare is ORD and Heathrow is LHR. In addition, there are metro group codes like NYC for the New York area airports, LON for London and CHI for Chicago area airports. Although you can look up any airport's code, if you are doing serious flight schedule work that get's very tedious; you just have to learn them in advance or already know them. Knowledge of major connecting airports for each region is very helpful. I will give an example of that below. To request flight information, you need this information:

Departing Airport Code
Destination Airport Code
Date
Possibly the approximate time of day

For example, I used www.airwise.com (it's back in business!) to look up this request for TAR11:

Departure: KRK - Krakow, Poland
Destination: KUL - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Date: Dec. 9, 2006
time of Day: any

There is another level of complexity if you use AirWise because you also have to know the correct airport when there are multiple in a metro area. For Kuala Lumpur, there is Metro, International, and Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah. The correct choice is International but you have to either know that or try out all three in sequence to see which one is right.

The output was: 7:55am (departure from Krakow to Charles de Gaulle - Paris)
 6:35am+1KUL  (arrival in KUL next morning)
  LO 0343 / MH 0021  (flights LOT343 connecting with Malaysian Air 21)
 D (Daily; every day of the week)
  CDG 1:50 hrs. (connect time in Paris)
 16:40 hrs. (total time not at connection; mostly in the air)

Now, that was a good connection but I know from my experience that there are many more possibilities to do this than I was shown, so I built connections through every major hub in Europe to see what else made sense. Those hubs are London-Heathrow, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich, and Milan. London, Zurich and Milan did not have good connections, but Amsterdam and Frankfurt did. Vienna did not have a connection that showed on Airwise.com but I remember seeing it in early January on the schedule of Austrian Airlines and it was the 445am arrival that Mirna and Charla got. The Amsterdam connection was not used by any AR11 teams and problems in Munich on the way to Frankfurt is what screwed up Uchenna and Joyce and ultimately caused their elimination. You have to know enough to second-guess the system if you sense that the results you are getting are not comprehensive. This only comes with lots of experience and ever-increasing knowledge.

Sometimes it is helpful to use direct airline flight reservations systems to find flight options. This works well for the present, but may not precisely reflect the time period in the past that you want to model. Since most reservations systems do not allow general access to historical data on flights, you can only use present data. What you have to do is find the exact day of the week that matches. If you can, move forward to the same time period one year ahead so that you match the seasonality of something historic. If you want to go across most airline reservations systems, www.amadeus.net is helpful. It did not have Aerolineas Argentinas and some African airlines I needed for AR11, but it does have most international carriers.

This is a decent overview of the subject. If anyone wants to address specific questions to me, if they are of general interest place them on this thread or if they are of personal interest send me a Personal Message

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:26:01 PM by apskip »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »

We all realize this is all Puddin's fault.

Oh well put the Vodka in my cool aid and lets have a drink.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
Thank you apskip--that was a great overview! And yes thankfully, the retroactive airwise flight  data seems to be back in service! hallelujah! And even better--now we can leave the flights to you! :happy:

And kogs and mswood--right there with you! :martini: :keeta: :martini:

RFF's Golden Rule: