Author Topic: Where Am I?? MAPS and Filming Locations! *location spoilers*  (Read 20241 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Because every Pirate needs a good chart!

>> Good Dominica site with Pirate Master filming info

>> Interactive link to the filming locations

>> Interactive link to Calibishie coast

>> Fun link to the Sounds of Dominica: Birds, Rivers, and Music (choose galleries)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 04:42:34 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Where Am I?? MAPS and Filming Locations!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:41:56 AM »
Link to Ep 2 pics

Link to Ep 3 pics

Link to Ep 4 pics

Episode 5 "The Pilot's Jackpot" was filmed at Hampstead Beach in NE Dominica--a black sand beach.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:28:14 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 01:11:48 AM »
Episode 6 was shot at Dubique on the south coast .

Just when you thought it couldn't get better - here's no less than three falls, not too far into the bush behind the south-coast village of Dubique. To get there, go towards Grand Bay and take the left turn towards Petite Savanne. Dubique is the first village after the iron bridge. You can swim in the last fall.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:18:17 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 01:39:57 AM »
Episode 7 "The Purser's Pointe" was filmed at Scott's Head.

From the TV Guide interview with Cameron Daddo:
There was one sabotage that was awesome. They had to row about two miles to this place called Scott's Head, which was featured in Pirates of the Caribbean. Once they got there, there was an old buoy that had been there for a hundred years, and they had to follow the line of the buoy down and pull a key off it. If you were first, when you pulled the key, it dropped the second key another 10 feet down. So the second crew had to hold their breath and swim down 25 feet. It is not for the faint of heart.

Scott's Head Marine Preserve: The Scott's Head ~ Soufriere Marine Reserve (SSMR) is located on the south-western tip of the island. It encompasses the villages of Scott's Head and Soufrière up to Anse Bateau, near the village of Pointe Michel. It is the most picturesque bay on the island, both below and above the water. The region is dominated by the Scott's Head or Cachacrou Peninsula; separating the calmer Caribbean Sea from the wilder Atlantic Ocean.

See also below for underwater scenes.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:40:37 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 02:31:55 AM »
Episode 8 is back to Indian River and "the Haunted Forest of episode 8".

The Indian River is a mangrove-lined river in the north-west of the island. Also featured in Pirates of the Caribean2!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:41:01 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Where Am I?? MAPS and Filming Locations! *location spoilers*
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »
Episode 9 is back to Cabrits National Park and Fort Shirley.

We still have those unseen photos of the "Pirates' Court" for either this week or Episode 14. (Based on the number of chairs--Ep 14 may be more likely!)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:01:42 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
Episode 10 "The Cooper's Treasure" was filmed at Middleton Falls.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:11:37 PM »
More Middleham Falls...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:22:52 PM »
Episode 11 "The Smuggler's Keep" was filmed at Secret Beach.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »
 Episode 12 "The Mapmaker's Constellation" is only labelled "Crabier at the southern end of the island".

With so little to go on, this location has been the most difficult to pinpoint and will therefore have to be a GUESS only.

There is a hiking trail which leads up from near Scott's Head:

Morne Crabier (Level of difficulty: Unrated )
SouthWest
Time taken: 2 hours

This old trail is one of several which connect estates above the southern village of Scott's Head. It climbs up to about 1,400 ft. and over Morne Crabier. The trail starts from the main road to Gallion, at Morne Patate, and comes out above Scott's Head.

Starting point: Scotts Head

There is also an area called High Meadow which was the site of the cannibal village in Pirates of the Caribbean.

So my guess is a meadow area off of the Morne Crabier trail or a pasture in one of the estates--but I would welcome any better ideas!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 04:48:07 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »
Episode 13 "The Carpenter's Noose" was filmed at Miracle Lake.

In November 1997, Dominica experienced several weeks of prolonged heavy rain which precipitated a massive landslide in the interior. This formed three dams blocking a northern tributary of the Layou River. The lower dam burst after about a week of continued heavy rain, the second burst a few days later. These flooded the Layou River, depositing huge amounts of tarish and sand, temporarily raising the level of the river bed by up to 30 feet in places. The rear dam did not burst and has consolidated, leaving a new lake with a much larger surface area than either the Freshwater or Boeri Lakes and reaching a maximum depth of 140 feet. This lake may be viewed from the end of the road at the edge of the escarpment left by the landslide, reached via a feeder road just east of the Layou River Hotel. Though officially named the Mathia Dam, the local landowner has christened this area 'Miracle Valley'. The rear shore of the lake by be reached via a hiking trail from the Cuba Road which loops up into the hills from Mero to Salisbury on the mid west coast.

And this: in 1997, on a section of river downstream from us where it is joined by the Mathieu River, there was a series of dramatic landslides that changed the landscape completely. The two rivers meet in a gorge where the cliffs are incredibly tall and, upstream from this junction, the valley walls of the Mathieu River suddenly collapsed, sliding into the river and down into the gorge where the two rivers meet. A dam was created, plugging the Mathieu River though the Layou continued to flow. Today the Mathieu River is still blocked and a large lake has formed in the river valley behind the landslide dam. That lake is still there today. Some call it Miracle Valley, others call it Lake Mathieu. (From this excellent Dominican blog.)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 11:34:57 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 11:27:35 PM »
Episode 14 "The Captain's Bounty" filmed at Titou Gorge, a waterfall within a cave also used in the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean.

its Creole name implies "little throat hole", you have an opportunity to literally swim up the "throat" of the mountain to a waterfall located inside the gorge. This gorge was formed many thousands of years ago and is fed by the Freshwater Lake. The formation of the rock walls on either side, through which we swim are intricate and breathtaking,

>>> VIDEO link of P of C location filming which includes GREAT shots of the filming crew within the gorge.

And also back at Cabrit's where we may finally see that Pirates Court.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 02:19:52 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »
Ep 14--do we finally see the Pirate's Court?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 03:04:33 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »
In Ep 7, the Pirates have an underwater sabotage at "Scott's Head", according to an interview with Cameron Daddo.

From the TV Guide interview with Cameron Daddo:

There was one sabotage that was awesome. They had to row about two miles to this place called Scott's Head, which was featured in Pirates of the Caribbean. Once they got there, there was an old buoy that had been there for a hundred years, and they had to follow the line of the buoy down and pull a key off it. If you were first, when you pulled the key, it dropped the second key another 10 feet down. So the second crew had to hold their breath and swim down 25 feet. It is not for the faint of heart.

There is a dive site known as Scott's Head Pinnacles which seems a likely site for this task.

From the Dominica site:
Scott's Head Pinnacle is justifiably one of the island's most famous dive sites; divers regularly request repeat visits to this site. The dive begins on Swiss Cheese, a large rock formation home to the well-known Soldierfish Cave. Not actually a cave, this swim-through is usually packed with soldier fish and grunts that form a curtain in front of you, briefly parting to swallow you into the school as you pass through. Crossing a flat area of coral encrusted rock formations leads to the Pinnacle itself. At a depth of only 35 feet, a picturesque swim-through bisects the pinnacle, bringing you to the "other side" -- a steep wall on the inside of the volcanic crater that falls off to more than 120 feet. The swim-through is usually full of blackbar soldierfish, grunts and lobster. The wall is dominated by deepwater seafans and other colourful gorgonians.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:41:40 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
reserving space for other locations
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:42:15 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »
reserving space for other locations
RFF's Golden Rule:

Netfoot

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »
Peach, please note Bloodwood trees != Mangroves!  :-)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 08:44:55 AM »
I agree. That was the original photographer's tag which I left. I've changed it now....

The things we learn! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:07 AM »
 :lol:  bump
RFF's Golden Rule: