Author Topic: Some NBC news and other nuggets  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Some NBC news and other nuggets
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
NBC kicked off the broadcast networks' annual series-pickup frenzy with orders to dramas "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," "Journeyman" and "Life" as well as a renewal of critical darling "Friday Night Lights."

Additionally, sources said ABC is close to a 13-episode order for the midseason comedy "Notes From the Underbelly," and CBS is close to bringing back the midseason comedy "Rules of Engagement" and the sophomore sitcom "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

Talks are said to continue about ABC possibly picking up eight to nine more episodes of its well-received but low-rated comedy "The Knights of Prosperity," featuring Donal Logue and company trying to rob Ray Romano (HR 5/10). Romano appeared at the end of the last aired episode of "Knights." He also is featured in the remaining three episodes of the show's first season, which have not aired.

All four newly picked up NBC drama series were given permission to begin staffing last week (HR 5/8).

"Bionic," from NBC Universal TV Studio, is a re-imagination of the 1970s series. David Eick, Jason Smilovic and director Michael Dinner exec produced the pilot starring Michelle Ryan, with Glen Morgan joining the series as exec producer.
Advertisement

"Chuck," from Warner Bros. TV, is a dramedy starring Zachary Levi as a computer geek working as a spy. Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak penned the pilot and exec produced it with the pilot's director McG.

"Journeyman," from 20th Century Fox TV, stars Kevin McKidd as a man who travels back in time to fix the lives of people in trouble. Writer Kevin Falls and director Alex Graves exec produced the pilot.

"Life," from NBC Uni TV, stars Damian Lewis as an ex-cop who rejoins the force after being wrongfully imprisoned. Rand Ravich penned the pilot and exec produced it with director David Semel.

Several other NBC pilots -- including the dramedy "Lipstick Jungle," possibly for midseason, and comedies "The IT Crowd" and "Lip****z Saves the Universe" -- are said to have strong supporters at the network.

The full-season pickup for "FNL," which struggled in the Wednesday 8 p.m. time period, follows an order for six additional scripts NBC made in April (HR 4/11). NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly had repeatedly stated that the NBC Uni TV show would return for a second season, probably in a new time slot. The most rumored scenario has the football drama going to Fridays.

Sources said NBC's long-running drama "Crossing Jordan" won't return, while the jury is still out on "Law & Order," "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and "Scrubs." For two of the three, "L&O" and "Scrubs," a cancellation by NBC won't necessarily mean the end of the shows, with TNT interested in picking the procedural drama and ABC interested in taking on the medical comedy.

The end of the road might be coming for another series that was looking for a new beginning, CW's "Veronica Mars." Sources indicated that the cult show, whose trailer for a fourth season set a couple of years into the feature had been warmly received by CW brass, is now back on the verge of cancellation.

A rumored CBS schedule, which made the rounds Thursday, includes the untitled Cynthia Cidre drama pilot landing the Thursday 10 p.m. time slot and "Shark" moving to the Tuesday 10 p.m. hour.

With its paranormal theme, "Babylon Fields" could be a good fit after "Ghost Whisperer" on Friday, while murder mystery-musical "Viva Laughlin" might kick off the network's Wednesday crime lineup of "Criminal Minds" and "CSI: NY."

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Some NBC news and other nuggets
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:09:46 AM »
Hopefully the schedule leaks before next week!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »
The talk: NBC's
'Heroes' to Thursdays

On Monday the network reveals its fall lineup

By Toni Fitzgerald
May 11, 2007

Last year, ABC shook up Thursday night by moving its top-rated drama, “Grey’s Anatomy,” into the 9 p.m. slot. The network has dominated the night ever since.

Now NBC is rumored to be mulling a similarly bold move to revive ratings on a night it long dominated but in recent years has fallen way behind.

The big change: Sliding “Heroes,” the season’s top-rated new show among adults 18-49, into the 10 p.m. timeslot the long-fading “ER” once ruled as TV’s most-watched show. “Heroes” currently airs Monday at 9 p.m.

If this rumor is true, the move would be announced on Monday at the network's upfront schedule presentation to media buyers.

The network is expected to once again rely heavily on new dramas, with only two of its highly touted bunch from last year returning and at least five new ones on tap for next year. Its strategy: Concentrate on quality, and assume viewers will eventually discover good programming. That also means a number of lower-rated older shows, such as "Crossing Jordan," will be purged.

"Heroes" was one of last year's new programs, and at some levels, moving it to Thursday would make sense.

“It’s the same type of show [as ‘Grey’s’], which was a hit new show last year when they moved it,” says one media researcher. “It’s a very young show that’s created appointment viewing. If you were to pick a hit show that could move, I think that might be it. Otherwise, there’s not too many top-rated shows out there that are new and could move around.”

The move would give NBC the dominant Thursday presence it’s been lacking since “Friends” left three years ago.

Further, the competition in the timeslot is the weakest of any hour on Thursday night. ABC cycled several shows through the slot, none of them gaining much traction. While CBS’s “Shark” performed decently among total viewers, the network is expected to replace it with a new show that can better hold “CSI’s” lead-in audience among 18-49s.

Yet further, moving “Heroes” also would allow NBC to move “ER,” which has been fading all season but is still higher-rated than most of its dramas. By putting that show on another night, perhaps Wednesday, NBC could see gains on two evenings.

But of course NBC could decide to keep “Heroes” where it is, and it would have good reasons for doing so.

The show’s ratings have slipped after a two-month batch of reruns, and the network may be reluctant to dismantle its most successful night.

There's also the concern that ABC might schedule its new “Grey’s Anatomy” spinoff Thursday at 10, which would suddenly make that timeslot a lot tougher.

In any case, whether “Heroes” moves to Thursday or not, the bulk of NBC's comedy-heavy Thursday schedule is expected to remain intact when the network releases it on Monday.

Though NBC’s comedy lineup has drawn low ratings, it indexes very highly with affluent viewers, and it has won the respect of media buyers. Many praise “My Name is Earl,” “The Office,” “30 Rock” and “Scrubs” as the funniest comedy lineup on any network since the 1980s.

“Really, it’s the type of night for NBC that doesn’t necessarily deliver the quantity of viewers but the quality,” says the media researcher. “They may keep it intact.”

The one show in danger of being canceled or perhaps returning at midseason is “Scrubs,” which has hit season lows recently and has become very expensive to produce with star Zach Braff’s recent salary bump. NBC may try new comedies “Lip****z Saves the World” or “The IT Crowd,” both getting positive buzz this week.

NBC has loaded up on drama pilots to help boost its fourth-place season-to-date 3.1 rating in 18-49s. “Lipstick Jungle,” about three women executives, “The Bionic Woman,” a remake of the 1970s show, and “Chuck,” about a computer whiz, reportedly have received orders, as have time travel drama “Journeyman” and “Life,” about a police officer.

As expected, yesterday the network renewed low-rated first-year drama “Friday Night Lights,” rumored to be moving from Wednesday to Friday.

“Law & Order” and “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” are still under consideration but probably will not return because they are too expensive. “L&O: Special Victims Unit” has already been renewed and should remain on Tuesday, with two new dramas airing before it.

NBC has also renewed “Medium” and “Deal or No Deal,” with speculation that the former could return to Mondays after struggling on Wednesday. “Sunday Night Football” will return in the fall with a revamped pre-show.

And Donald Trump’s “Apprentice” could return, but likely at midseason. Though Trump has been claiming the show was renewed, NBC has not confirmed it.

“Crossing Jordan,” “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” and “The Black Donnellys” will all be canceled.

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I hope NBC does not screw around and move Heroes to Thursday night at 10 as was suggested in the article.  I like it to stay for 9 p.m. on monday's. I don't like watching tv shows at 10 p.m. as I get rather tired and I don't like taping a lot of shows because then I have to wait until the next day to view it.  So anyone have an update of what they are doing.  And will they be renewing Law & Order: Criminal Intent.  I really enjoy that show.  Thanks.

Offline RudyRules

• RFF's Maturest Angel.
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • S1's Rudy Rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:36:35 AM »
Thanks for the update, Kogs.

Great to hear Friday Night Lights is returning!  :happy:
I love that show!  If it moves to Friday night, it'll probably do better.  I think its ratings were low b/c it conflicted with Jericho, another good show. 

Also glad to hear Shark is staying!  :happy:

On Mondays, Heroes conflicts with 24!  So I hope Heroes moves to Thurs...but NOT the same time as Survivor!