Author Topic: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."  (Read 194983 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."
« Reply #550 on: May 14, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
Nice catch  :tup:. Also the hood of the mystery car is red, which doesn't match any cab the racers took from the mint (if it's a cab at all).

(Addition: SF is nice enough to put their taxi color schemes on a webpage. I'm not sure I'd want to ride in a cab with a giant grasshopper on the side  :lol:)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:01:01 PM by Slowhatch »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #551 on: May 14, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
Or with a guitar playing idgit standing on the roof either! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #552 on: May 14, 2007, 03:19:16 PM »
Mirna is answering (and pulling NO punches!) HERE

Finally, the last episode...the forced bunching obviously did not help us. When we all arrived in Oakland, it was a race to a clue box at the taxi stands. We were obviously last there and got the worst taxi. Our driver was clueless and his cell phone did not work. Needless to say Eric got first choice of taxis and we knew the Race was basically over for the rest of us. We all finished the Race not more than 2 hrs after arriving in Oakland. No, we did not redo any task, that is pretty absurd, that is never done. Our first clue was a picture of a house and we were supposed to find it. The clue said the house is where the Grateful Dead lived one summer. The house turned out to be on Haight and Ashberry streets, then there you found your next clue to go to the Mint, then from the Mint to the finish line.
For us personally, the day was a nightmare, our driver was not familiar with San Fransisco at all, he would not let us use his radio, and there was no other means of communication in his car, we kept showing the picture to people in cars on the streets until one girl noticed it. Eric later told me his taxi driver let him use his radio and he had the dispatcher use the internet to get the info while the BQs followed his car. Sad part is that we usually didn't like to follow people, so as usual we didn't.
At the house, we just kept asking people for the Mint location and directed our Taxi driver. But he was clueless and took us down a one way street. I finally got out and pulled Charla by the arm and ran the rest of the 1/8 mile to the Mint ourselves.
Everyone was there when we got there. All I saw was that Eric was finishing up when I went into the room. None of us knew that our teammates had to take part in this too. I had been studying every waking minute the last 3 days for a mental challenge (ie. flags, places visited, placing orders etc.) little did we expect a gossip quiz. When I finished (after about 95 seconds), I noticed people calling Charla to come in the room. About 1 minute later Eric and Danielle left. The BQ left about 8 minutes later, and we left a few minutes after that. But our driver had no idea were the botanical gardens were, so we stopped in front of a hotel to change taxis. There the BQs original driver was asking us for money saying they bailed on him without paying their fare. (I assume they changed taxis too). Our new driver insisted he knew where it was but he turned out to be more clueless than the first, luckily he had a map and I pointed where the Garden was. He took us to the wrong entrance and we had a 1/2 mile run on a gravel construction site. It was a nightmare, Charla kept falling on her wheelies and finally a woman came and helped me pull her. (you can seen that on Cbs website behind the scenes) The extra run took us about 12 minutes. The end.

Also about the dhows:

The weather issue-well what do think? I can tell you we arrived at the dhows around early/mid afternoon (maybe 3pm). pulled a tab (1 of 3sets) and were told the dhow would take off at 10pm. At 10pm, when the next batch of the teams were just arriving at the location (U&J, D&K, Chas), we went back to the dhow to board and were told to come back at 5am the next day. We were not happy, but what could we do? I wondered how that would be pieced together, it was terrible like the rest of the editing. The next day it was totally smooth sailing, not a wave or cloud in sight and I don't remember it ever raining those 2 days. What do you think??? 

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 14, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »
I have to say, I love Mirna's honesty!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 14, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »
What the hell?

second they stole our flight and Danny and Ozzy's flight in Zanzibar to Poland.

D/K got the the ticket agent as soon as it opened as well, and worked with the manager, and flirting didn't help them kick ass in challenges Mirna  :knuckles: AND Dustin pounced on your arm after realizing that she doesn't need to take your crap.

Are we sure this is Mirna? She seems a little to bitter...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #555 on: May 14, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »
Well, she sent a personal email to Sam and agreed to answer questions--so yes, I would say it is her. But Sam can tell us for sure.

And the information seems to all fit...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 14, 2007, 03:31:55 PM »
No no no I meant are we sure that THAT post was from Mirna because usually mirna commented with the name MIRNA but I guess she forgot this time. I agree with her on the "what the hell happened" with TARAS...the course was so....bland..

Offline strategery

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #557 on: May 14, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
Sure sounds like Mirna to me -- whoever it is has the crazy down pat.

The clue said the house is where the Grateful Dead lived one summer. The house turned out to be on Haight and Ashberry [sic] streets, then there you found your next clue to go to the Mint, then from the Mint to the finish line.

I think this would explain Chateau's mysterious shot coming east on Oak St. Haight/Ashbury is close to Golden Gate Park so they had to backtrack back to the Mint, and from this map Oak St. would seem to make sense. (Sorry to merely link -- I'm not so good with the pics.)

Oh, and there was a clue they actually had to "figger out"? And it wasn't shown? Sigh.

Also the hood of the mystery car is red, which doesn't match any cab the racers took from the mint (if it's a cab at all).

Could that be one of the Friendly Cabs that (IIRC) E/D and D/K took out of Oakland? I think an example is in one of Chateau's shots -- it is red, white, and green, with the red as the top layer. It's not listed on that cool link to SF Cabs, but per it's own site it's an East Bay i.e., Oakland not SF company.

ETA: Some info about and a pic of the Greatful Dead house -- address is 710 Ashbury, a block south of Haight.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 04:42:46 PM by strategery »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #558 on: May 14, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
There the BQs original driver was asking us for money saying they bailed on him without paying their fare. (I assume they changed taxis too).
Oh they broke a rule :naughty:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 14, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »
There the BQs original driver was asking us for money saying they bailed on him without paying their fare. (I assume they changed taxis too).
Oh they broke a rule :naughty:

Those are my little law breakers ;)

I love how Mirna is giving us all this behind the scenes stuff that I'm sure the producers would not want us to know LOL

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #560 on: May 14, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »
Especially since Mary told me she had asked about posting and was told that she couldn't till the start of the next season--so someone has it wrong!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #561 on: May 14, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »
Just ask Joni, Tammy or Wally. Pretty sure they said they wern't allowed on message boards untill their season was over?
Nice detective work you guys & gals  :happy:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 14, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
Can you guys imagine how hard it must be for racers to lurk but not post. I mean, clearly D/K lurked at sucks if they knew my username, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones who lurk, and I wouldn't be able to resist posting if I saw somebody saying negative things about me.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #563 on: May 14, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
Google's route from OAK to 710 Ashbury (provided the cabdriver doesn't get lost  :lol:).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline strategery

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #564 on: May 14, 2007, 09:29:45 PM »
There the BQs original driver was asking us for money saying they bailed on him without paying their fare.

But didn't Mirna remember that she and the BQs had agreed to split cab fares for the rest of the race -- you know, because the BQs happened to be behind her on the same one lane road in South America. Payback's a bitch!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #565 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:39 AM »
Hey Hey Strat, good to see you here!   :jumpy:

So my original suspicion that there was an unshown task was right.  I started thinking is was a call'em back/retake on the Mint task due to the locations seen from the taxis.  But doing Haight Ashbury gets you going down the same streets (Fell, Oak).

So now we have taxi karma to pin the win on.  E&D's driver had all the good stuff for a winning ride.  Both the BQs and C&M had such frustrations with their drives that they had to dump them.  That eats time.

I wonder if there has been a rule set up that forbids racers from doing what Colin did with the driver "Earl" where they called ahead for a capable and willing driver.  That is an advantage worth doing something about.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #566 on: May 15, 2007, 08:14:16 AM »
Hey Hey Strat, good to see you here!   :jumpy:

So my original suspicion that there was an unshown task was right.  I started thinking is was a call'em back/retake on the Mint task due to the locations seen from the taxis.  But doing Haight Ashbury gets you going down the same streets (Fell, Oak).

So now we have taxi karma to pin the win on.  E&D's driver had all the good stuff for a winning ride.  Both the BQs and C&M had such frustrations with their drives that they had to dump them.  That eats time.

I wonder if there has been a rule set up that forbids racers from doing what Colin did with the driver "Earl" where they called ahead for a capable and willing driver.  That is an advantage worth doing something about.

chateau rememeber colin had to give them a credit card number and he game them a fake one, i dont think any racer since has been smart enough to come up with the stuff colin did.

Offline strategery

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • A day late and . . .
« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »
So my original suspicion that there was an unshown task was right.

And an awesome find, by the way, on them taking Oak St. east. And thanks also for getting Mirna to answer the question that (mostly) cleared everything up. (I'm still dubious that Mirna and the BQs changed cabs at the exact same place on the way to the finish line -- seems like an improbable coincidence -- but whatever.)

I just asked Mirna (anonymously) several more questions about edited-out tasks on other legs (e.g., fish-drying in Macau) -- we'll see whether it turns up anything.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #568 on: May 16, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »
Oak street only goes east  :lol: but I know what you mean.  I was spending hours hunting down views headed to the marina and into downtown (Bush st has a close contender but other buildings would have been in the view too).  The anomaly that started my curiosity was that side by side taxi passing along Fell street while the BQs had the wrong taxi they were supposed to be in.  I haven't said it yet but that shot was made at around 8:00 am so I would guess they were not taking the best way to the Dead House.  Especially the BQs who continued along Fell St. past Masonic.

I think the show missed an opportunity to present a cute sequence of mapped Pink and Yellow lines twisting their way through the Streets of San Francisco trying to get to the epicenter of the Hippie culture.  Just think of the music that they could use and the shots of Mirna getting slammed into the ceiling of her cab.   :rotf:

About the cab changing, I think the BQs cab parked on 5th pointing toward Market while they did the Mint task (as did D&E's cab).  They probably got started along 5th, crossed Market and decided to try for another cab as they saw the Renaissance Park 55 Hotel.  It now looks like Charla & Mirna's cab made a left from Jessie onto 5th and crossed Market.  And it looks like they had the same idea to try for a new taxi at the Hotel.  That would become their 3rd cab in San Francisco.  I don't know where they dumped the first one.  It had to be sometime after the airport and before arriving at the mint.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:32:52 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline red_sox

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #569 on: May 16, 2007, 02:51:03 AM »
Michael its definetely Mirna  :tup: I can check IP Adresses, and all posts under the name Mirna are from the same computor- also, she is sending me her wedding photos for the site.. so i htink its her  :hearts:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #570 on: June 03, 2007, 09:50:54 AM »
Technical note:
Several months ago I wrote that A9 had given up its maps and that the guy responsible for the street photos had been hired by Google. Last week Google started showing the results: in certain cities a "street-level" function can be enabled. Below is a picture of the Grateful Dead house (note the guy talking to the tourists and the police tape on the stairs  ;D).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
Oh wow  :jumpy:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #572 on: June 03, 2007, 01:32:24 PM »
I was trying to pull up shots of Stitch with that feature but they don't go down that particular street.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #573 on: June 03, 2007, 01:58:25 PM »
Well--it will be great for us spoilers but kinda creepy if it is in your neighborhood! Here is one lady who says Google is looking in her windows and spying on her cat !
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #574 on: June 03, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
Could you imagine? "Theres peach sunning in the nude in her backyard :lol:!!"