Author Topic: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."  (Read 194951 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."
« Reply #525 on: May 11, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
Thanks Peach.

I'm working on a 'missing task' quest.  I think they had to go some place before the mint.  Taxi cabs are not the same from airport to finish  ???

Here is the finish spot:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #526 on: May 11, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
Could they just have gotten new cabs after the mint?

I am SO going back there again too! That's near your tree, right?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #527 on: May 11, 2007, 10:48:25 PM »
That is possible but these teams have asked their cabs to wait before so I think it would be automatic for this part.

Here's what I am seeing:  Teams were sent to catch the Powell/Hyde St cable car somewhere back by Fisherman's Wharf.  Then they would have to get new taxis at the other end.  Charla & Mirna are seen on foot/wheelies in front of the San Francisco Shopping Center on Market St.  That is directly across the street from the terminus of the Powell/Hyde ride.  And, conveniently, it is fairly close to the Mint too.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #528 on: May 11, 2007, 11:09:07 PM »
Oakland>>cable cars>>Mint>>Garden??

Gosh--was ALL of SF asleep that morning? No sightings on the cable cars??

Nice work on the locations Chateau!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #529 on: May 11, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »
It's an interesting topic. I haven't considered the idea of a missing SF task. I went back to the video and I can't find/see anyone mouthing the words "old mint" to the taxi drivers. And back in Lanai, there is a cutaway after each team reads "make your way to the final destination city..."
This cap, presumably before the old mint, shows cabs passing the DMV, which is actually on the way to the park. Probably just editing, though.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2007, 11:43:17 PM »
And there is this:

Trading Places anyone?

And they don't go back to this taxi after all.  They are shown getting a big yellow SUV thing after the Mint.  And that is located also near the Powell/Hyde terminus!   ???

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »
Let me mention something that has bothered me. My analysis of timing had Eric/ Danielle arriving at the mat at 815am. Chateau's analysis shows them there at 903am or slightly later. This supports the "missing task in SF" hypothesis. I could be wrong by about 48 minutes due to having to wait for the camera/sound crew to get off the airplane and set up (I assumed a new crew took over), but even that is unlikely to have taken half that time.

A further issue is that Mirna/Charla complaining about their Oakland airport taxi driver not knowing San Francisco does not ring true. My guess is that virtually all OAK cabbies know downtown San Francisco qutie well as many of their fares go there. I think it is likely that a "missing task" might have accounted for the 15 minute late arrival that Mirna/Charla had at the Old Mint. Any walking task would put them at a big disadvantage. Charla's wheelies would not be very effective up hills and they would be unsafe down hills.

Another thing that bothers me is why Charla/Mirna had to do significant repositioning to find the entrance to Strybing Arboretum, as shown in one of the Insider clips. Did their second cab driver screw up that badly in taking them there that they were on the wrong side to get in?

It's so nice to know that TAR editors have shielded us from all this EXTRANEOUS information that had NOTHING to do with the finish of TAR11! This used to be a show where you could trust that you were getting the straight story on TV, but those days are long gone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:17:21 AM by apskip »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2007, 04:10:25 PM »
I have a better time for the BQs completion of the Mint task

This shot was taken between 8:45 and 8:49 am on December 17th.

The shadow just ahead of the word "STOP" on the pavement comes from, not the Mint building but the next one to the east.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2007, 04:39:55 PM »
This shot was just before the running shown above.  So it is safe to use the same time:

This shot was taken between between 8:45 and 8:49 am on December 17th.

The thing to note is the shadow on the building across the street.  It is one window away from the iron balcony.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »
This shot was taken between 8:50 and 8:55 am on December 17th.

Now the shadow is two windows away from the iron balcony

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #535 on: May 12, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »
This shot was taken between 8:39 and 8:45 am on December 17th.

The sun is hitting the right edge of the iron balcony across the street (the image is washed out due to over exposure there)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #536 on: May 13, 2007, 12:03:49 AM »
I've got a new theory on why the teams took an extra 30 to 45 minutes to arrive at the Old Mint.   ???

It is because they had to do the task over.  I think there was a technical difficulty with the the way the task was set up.

I'll just speculate that it was Mirna who called them on the problem!   :rules:

Here's what I think really happened:  The BQs and E&D arrived at about the same time and began the task.  Both teams were unable to match their codes and clocked out at the 10 minute marks.  They got their final clues and headed out for the Botanical Garden in the same taxis that brought them to the mint.  Meanwhile, Charla & Mirna arrived (maybe even overlapped a little) and they started the task.  But after ten minutes they were also clocked out.  Mirna figures out that the reason (or at least an arguable reason) why they could not match the code was because production had indicated the number "10" for the BQs on their list of teams (see the smudged out "1" to leave just "0").  She raises hell   (:;)  about it and production decides to reel back the other teams for a redo.  Just like they did with Season 9's flags.  Eric, you are cursed.   :lol:

Some supporting evidence for my theory is that shot of Eric & Danielle's taxi through Dustin & Kandice taken along Fell St near Masonic.  That location is on the way from the Mint to the Botanical Garden.  And in the shot, the BQs are in their original taxi that they got from the airport.  The reason this is special is that in the version that was aired we have the BQs leaving 6 min or so after D&E.  And we see them have to go across Market St to fetch a new taxi (yellow SUV style) from in front of Renaissance Park 55 Hotel.  You can see the difference between the two taxis by the shapes of the windows and the stickers in the windows. So how else could they have ever had a shot of the two teams together in their original taxis over by the Botanical Garden?  And for the task redo, maybe production had alternate sets of questions that could be substituted if there was any problems.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #537 on: May 13, 2007, 12:09:40 AM »
Here is a view inside the BQs second taxi.  This shot has the entry for the Renaissance Park 55 Hotel where they got the taxi.  It is about 700 feet from the Mint.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #538 on: May 13, 2007, 12:17:40 AM »
Oh GREAT question for the racers Chateau  :jam:  ! Maybe Papi can ask Eric for us?

Oh and Chateau :luvu: :fan: :flirt:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #539 on: May 13, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
The 55 hotel makes sense. Google coughed up a roundabout way to reach Turk (passing by the hotel) when I asked it to make a route from the mint to the park.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #540 on: May 13, 2007, 12:38:07 AM »
Charla & Mirna pass by that hotel too when they go in their 2nd taxi (which was smartly waiting for them at the Mint's back door).

Micheal needs to ask the BQs who won the first race to the finish mat!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 13, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »
I wouldn't want to know the answer to that even if I were able to ask them, the possibility of D/K actually winning but then needing to re-shoot would kill me, so I'll say E/D kicked ass both times :D

well...anyways, i've asked Sam to ask Mirna and we'll see if he does!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:09:33 AM by Michael D »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #542 on: May 13, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »
That would have been awful! What great detecting! Do the times still fit?

Mirna is fielding questions over in Sam's forum Chateau--go ask!

BigPapi--can you ask Eric?

Darn--wish we could have asked this at TARcon!

Ian said he would be willing to be a resource for us--I'll email him too!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #543 on: May 13, 2007, 01:16:01 PM »
It was all a blur to me.  I was lucky if I remembered to ask the questions that I had prepared.  No way I would be able to ask the ones I hadn't thought of yet!

Where is this Sam's forum?  We should ask Mirna why their taxi was going down those classic "Streets of San Francisco" streets.  I don't think that is the way to the Mint or to the Botanical Gardens.   ???

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 13, 2007, 01:21:43 PM »
I posted the question on Sucks and www.charlaandmirna.com forums to Sam, so hopefully he asks!

I said: "Was there a task before (or after?) the Mint, and did you have to re-shoot the task at the mint?"

4 guests, 2 members, 0 anonymous members
MichaelD, MIRNA

Looks like Mirna is online! Maybe she will answer!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:39:29 PM by Michael D »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #545 on: May 13, 2007, 01:39:49 PM »
Thanks Michael. 

Can you also ask Mirna why they had to change taxis in San Francisco?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #546 on: May 13, 2007, 05:22:14 PM »
Here are the links to Sam's website: http://www.charlaandmirna.com/

And to the Mirna Q&A section: http://z4.invisionfree.com/charlaandmirna/index.php?showtopic=14

I think you can post as a guest Chateau--please do ask as I'm sure you can explain it best!

Now I'm so curious!

Maybe Eric will have an answer!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 13, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »
I'm really REALLY hoping that they didn't have to reshoot  :groan:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #548 on: May 14, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
Here's another piece of evidence:

This shot in Charla & Mirna's taxi (when they bumped their heads on the ceiling) was taken here on Oak St going east from the Botanical Gardens BACK to the Old Mint.  You can see two tall buildings in the distance that match perfectly with Google Earth's tilt view with 3D buildings turned on.  The building that is straight ahead and rotated wrt Oak St stands out clearly.  This only can be seen in one place in San Francisco.  This view is unique to this exact spot.

At this point, I believe, Charla & Mirna are headed back to the Mint in their 2nd taxi after being told by production that they have to go back to do the task again.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #549 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
This is awesome work! :happy:

Mirna said here in the RealityTV Interview that:

And then it was a matter of being at the taxi stands to get the best taxi, and unfortunately our taxi driver had no idea where anything in San Francisco was.  He also didn't have a working telephone, so it put us at a disadvantage.  It was a little bit of an unlucky situation having to change taxis three times that day.  So it really I think shows it a little differently than it truly was.  We arrived at [Old Mint, the site of the All-Stars' final challenge] just as [All-Stars' winning duo of Eric Sanchez and Danielle Turner] were finishing up.
RFF's Golden Rule: