Author Topic: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."  (Read 194992 times)

Offline chris_oclc

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • suckeisha sucks
Re: EP13: "Low to the Ground, That's My Technique."
« Reply #500 on: May 07, 2007, 03:35:14 AM »
does anyone know the time difference of the arrival of the 3 teams at the finish line???
cigi

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #501 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44:27 AM »
Why did they only try for flights to Oakland and not San Francisco?  Or did I miss something?

Somebody has some pull (perhaps the NW agent in Guam) as D/K and E/D start olff in Tourist Class, on NW 10 from NRT to HNL but after door is shut we now see them in plush Busiiness Class seats for the flight from NRT to HNL

All in all one of the best TARs and we had a pretty good time tracing the actual travel in real time and figuring out the rest. TPTB threw us a couple of curve balls, but not too many.

GMAN, I agree that you got us on the right track with the 24 hour pit stop.

I can tell you in retrospect why Oakland. It's because there was only one fly option from HNL and that guaranteed that there would be no possible surprises in teams getting different flights arriving at different times. All teams had a level playing field coming into Oakland. While that would probably have been the case into San Francisco, it was not as sure. Also the later arrival of that flight by 1 hour 56 minutes than UA576 into SFO fit the timing of getting to Strybing Arboretum better. They did not want them there in the dark. The angles of sunlight over the trees were pretty low as it was.

Glenn Weber of Northwest had his 3 seconds of fame on the show. I had hoped he would get more face time. I am guessing that it was the 747 captain in Guam who made the arrangements for that upgrade even though it wasn't his flight.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 07, 2007, 07:30:58 AM »
hehe...watching the early show :D then back off to bed for a little while

all the teams look great!  :wohoo:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:40:27 AM by Michael D »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #503 on: May 07, 2007, 08:26:48 AM »
In Tokyo-Narita airport, Charla and Mirna pulled the coup of the century! Let me explain. They were supposed to have been on NW81, which left Guam at 1545 and arrived NRT at 1845. Their booked connection was to NW10(leaving at 2030) just like Eric/Danielle and Dustin/Kandice. Perhaps they arrived a little early and decided to try something theoretically impossible. United 880 left at 1900, with a connect time that is not doable. If you have been to Narita (and I have recently) you know that the gate layout for all the airlines from America is reasonably compact, so changing from one gate to another in a short time is conceivable. UA880 had surely been closed by the time Charla/Mirna got to the gate, but it appears that they talked their (and their camera/sound crew) way onto that flight. It should have arrived approximately one hour before NW10. Ultimately the bunching back at Honolulu airport for the Oakland flight would have negated any advantage from this, but it did give them a considerable head start on Lanai.

To pull this off, you have to be totally prepared. I have no doubt that Mirna was ready and knew what to look for when they arrived in Narita.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:41:46 AM by apskip »

Offline Riomangatar

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • D/K love
« Reply #504 on: May 07, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »
Did any of you guys notice these pics in the TARAS site?
Was this a roadblock? Since Mirna was doind it? And I think in the other pic was Danielle? It was probably not aired.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #505 on: May 07, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
Yes, Kogs mentioned it last night. When the racers finished the detour, the clue card they were given for Shipwreck beach was half-hidden (sorry, no photo yet), which is always a good sign of a missing task.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #506 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

No location details...from CBS,

"Finale" -- Teams perform a Road Block in which one team member must jump off a more than 30 foot high cliff in order to receive their next clue on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #507 on: May 07, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »
I'm not seeing the video yet but heres the story and the video should show up here sooner or later.

CBS) "The Amazing Race All-Stars" season finale took the final three teams from Guam to Hawaii to San Francisco. All the teams held the lead in the final leg, but dating couple Eric Sanchez and Danielle Turner cracked the code to make it to the finish line first.

Eric and Danielle, who met while racing against each other during Season 9, beat out two other tough teams, former beauty queens Dustin Seltzer and Kandice Pelletier and cousins Charla Baklayan Faddoul and Mirna Hindoyan, to claim the $1 million dollar prize.

But their final leg was a nail-biter. All three teams were neck-and-neck and Dustin and Kandice nearly made history by becoming the first all female team to win, but Eric and Danielle beat them by less than 10 minutes.

The key, Danielle said, was communication. Eric said Danielle spent a lot of time talking and gossiping. But it came in handy, because the two, who are no longer dating, were on the same page when it came time for them to crack the code. They had to answer questions about the other teams.

Even still, Eric, who lives in Florida, was tough on his ex-girlfriend, but he said she knew what she was getting in to.

"I told Danielle when we started the race, 'I'm going to be tough on you, it's a competition'," he told Early Show co-anchor Julie Chen. "I think she appreciates it. I mean, otherwise, you know, I think we would have been out a lot earlier if I had been yelling at her. I may have been a little rough at times."

"You were definitely a little rough at times," Danielle, of Staten Island, NY, said. "I got upset because I wanted him to enjoy more. Even during our idle time he was so stressed out. It was a lot on me but at the end it paid off."

The former couple, who will split the $1 million, said the race helped them realize that they just were not romantically compatible, though they remain friends.

"We get along now but we realized on the race our relationship really isn't going to really work out too well — two different people," Eric said. "But everything is good. I'm happy for her. She's happy for me. It's not the best place to test your relationship on 'The Amazing Race.'"

Runners up Dustin and Kandice also had their difficult times. They exchanged some heated words in Hawaii but said they remain best friends and even got a little bit of money for coming in second.

"The blonde bickering we had was nothing," Dustin said. "We hate fighting. We didn't want to fight. And so we were trying to hold it in but I think we were so exhausted and hungry."

Cousins Charla and Mirna said they were disappointed by their third place finish, but were excited to have the opportunity to compete again.

"We met so many of our fans along the way - everywhere, Malaysia, South Africa, Hong Kong - and it was an exhilarating experience for both of us," Mirna said. "We're so proud of Eric and Danielle because they worked their butts off, too."

Offline Riomangatar

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • D/K love
« Reply #508 on: May 07, 2007, 02:06:56 PM »
Yes, Kogs mentioned it last night. When the racers finished the detour, the clue card they were given for Shipwreck beach was half-hidden (sorry, no photo yet), which is always a good sign of a missing task.

oh sorry, guess i didnt read that topic yet.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 07, 2007, 03:54:03 PM »
 :lol3: did anybody else catch one of the beauty queens' blonde moment yesterday?

When getting to the airport to buy a ticket to San Fransisco, one of them was like "I wonder if there is an area to buy tickets!"

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #511 on: May 07, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
In Tokyo-Narita airport, Charla and Mirna pulled the coup of the century! Let me explain. They were supposed to have been on NW81, which left Guam at 1545 and arrived NRT at 1845. Their booked connection was to NW10(leaving at 2030) just like Eric/Danielle and Dustin/Kandice. Perhaps they arrived a little early and decided to try something theoretically impossible. United 880 left at 1900, with a connect time that is not doable. If you have been to Narita (and I have recently) you know that the gate layout for all the airlines from America is reasonably compact, so changing from one gate to another in a short time is conceivable. UA880 had surely been closed by the time Charla/Mirna got to the gate, but it appears that they talked their (and their camera/sound crew) way onto that flight. It should have arrived approximately one hour before NW10. Ultimately the bunching back at Honolulu airport for the Oakland flight would have negated any advantage from this, but it did give them a considerable head start on Lanai.

To pull this off, you have to be totally prepared. I have no doubt that Mirna was ready and knew what to look for when they arrived in Narita.

I CALLED IT!!  In the wrong thread  of course.  I mentioned UA880 back in the episode 12 thread.  though I didn't expect Mirna to pull it off!   :lol3:

Here's the link to my post: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,11991.50.html

I was just looking for flights from NRT to HNL leaving between 7:00PM and 8:30PM and the only flights that I can find are the following that leave at 7:00PM. There is nothing later. The next best flights are the NWA flights.

UA880
7:00 pm Depart Tokyo (NRT)
Arrive Honolulu (HNL) 7:18 am

ANA7024

USAirways 6476

Therefore it looks all teams will be neck and neck going into HNL. IF C/M are on that earlier flight into NRT, the gods would have to be shining on them brightly in order for them to try and change tickets and make a 7:00PM flight. That would be amazing if it happened but I don't see it happening. That's almost impossible!

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #512 on: May 07, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »

I CALLED IT!!  In the wrong thread  of course.  I mentioned UA880 back in the episode 12 thread.  though I didn't expect Mirna to pull it off!   :lol3:

Here's the link to my post: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,11991.50.html

I was just looking for flights from NRT to HNL leaving between 7:00PM and 8:30PM and the only flights that I can find are the following that leave at 7:00PM. There is nothing later. The next best flights are the NWA flights.

UA880

ANA7024

USAirways 6476

Therefore it looks all teams will be neck and neck going into HNL. IF C/M are on that earlier flight into NRT, the gods would have to be shining on them brightly in order for them to try and change tickets and make a 7:00PM flight. That would be amazing if it happened but I don't see it happening. That's almost impossible!

back in tar6 freddy and kkkendra try to pull that flight off but went to the gate instead of transfer desk

Offline joemike

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #513 on: May 07, 2007, 08:55:07 PM »
The amazing race better not be taking a long break. It better be back in the fall. I got so scared when it said on the early show the amazing race is taking a break for the summer lol. It better come back.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #514 on: May 07, 2007, 11:30:32 PM »
A minor example of "flipping" at the Oakland airport. The previous shots had shown the racers running left-to-right; I guess the editors figured it would be jarring to suddenly switch directions.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #515 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:43 AM »
COLBY, you did call it on UA880, but of course it was an unbookable flight. By the way, Charla/Mirna were not on NW81(first flight GUM to NRT), but the second. both arrived early. In another thread I gave Charla/Mirna credit for incredible foresight. After looking again at what happened in Narita, it looks more like dumb luck that caused them to consider UA880. They saw it on a list of departing flights that they passed on the way to the NW10 gate. Mirna was opportunistic enough to understand the possibilities and get them to the UA880 gate ASAP since there was still ample time to get to the NW10 gate if that did not work out.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #516 on: May 09, 2007, 12:59:27 PM »
FINISH TIME ESTIMATE FOR ARBORETUM

The plane arrived Oakland International Airport at 0700. Getting off the plane and out to the taxis with presumably a new camera/sound crew(no desire to wait for the old one to get their equipment) would take maybe 10 minutes. Time from OAK to Old Mint early on Sunday morning would be about 30 minutes. Time at the Old Mint I am guessing at about 15 to 20 minutes for Eric/Danielle and 10 minutes more for Dustin/Kandice and 10 minutes more for Charla/Mirna. I think time from Old Mint to Strybing Arboretum is about 15 to 20 minutes. Time from the taxi to the mat is maybe 2 minutes. Put it all together and you have Eric/Danielle arrival at about 815am. The long shadows from the trees confirm that it is way before the normal opening time of 10am. I estimate the arrival of Dustin/Kandice at 825am and Charla/Mirna at 835am.

I am looking forward to CHATEAU's analysis to confirm or refute these times.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #517 on: May 09, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »
does anyone know the time difference of the arrival of the 3 teams at the finish line???

chris_oclc, I don't know for absolute fact, but the time differences are between 5 and 10 minutes between Eric/Danielle and Dustin/Kandice and also between Dustin/Kandice and Charla/Mirna. My personal guess is that it is at the high end of both ranges.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2007, 01:47:57 AM »
I am looking forward to CHATEAU's analysis to confirm or refute these times.

Well according to Danielle:

This shot was taken between 9:01 and 9:23 am on December 17th.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #519 on: May 11, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »
This shot was taken between 7:30 and 7:41 am on December 17th
The rising Sun was a zero deg altitude at 7:24 am.

Dustin's head is making a shadow just above Kandice's eye.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #520 on: May 11, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »
This shot was taken between 8:25 and 8:47 am on December 17th.
It was on 5th St in front of the Old Mint as they ran around to the back street entrance on Jessie St.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #521 on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
Google Maps predicts a 30 min ride from Oakland Airport to the Mint.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #522 on: May 11, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »
And they predict a 16 min ride from the Mint to the Arboretum.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #523 on: May 11, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »
This shot was taken between 8:52 and 8:58 am on December 17th.
It was on Jessie St in at the Old Mint as they ran around to the front after completing the code task.
Solar azimuth aligns exactly with 5th Street.

Okay, not exactly, this gets corrected in a later post on the next page.  The estimate above should be 8:45 to 8:49 am.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 04:13:41 PM by Chateau d If »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #524 on: May 11, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »
Oh, nice work Chateau!

I am SO going to visit that Mint next trip to SF!

Did anyone get an exact location in the garden? or just in the Big Meadow somewhere?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.