Author Topic: Survivor 15 China  (Read 60157 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Survivor 15 China
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2007, 10:07:16 PM »
Adding this to the bell collection

Nan Chang, JiangXi Province

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2007, 01:25:22 AM »
So I read something here at SurvivorMaps about a lake called Zhelin and have been taking a closer look.

After looking all over Poyang lake--I can't believe that that would be the lake chosen. It seems to be way too popular and too much on the tourist circuit to work--I found lots of tour boats going up and down the lake. Seems like in the heart of summer that it would be way too hard to keep a secret there. And apparently the level of the lake can vary by as much as a third depending on the time of year and rainfall which would make it a little difficult to plan.

Far more off the beaten track is Zhelin Lake (it is confusing becase it is also called Che-lin and in some places Sanxiqiao). It is west of the Lu mountains but still close enough to be "considered in the "shadow of a sacred mountain". And I can't find any "tourist" info on it at all--which would be a very good point if you are production and want to keep a secret. I think it is a reservoir created when a Dam flooded an area. From GE there are lots of hidden corners that would allow for privacy.

And then there is this: :lol:
Rare Peach Jellyfish

Recently people have spotted the peach jellyfish, a rare biological species over the water surface of Dinosaur Island of Zhelin Lake, Jiangxi Province. As is verified and confirmed by Hangzhou Institute of Biology, the peach jellyfish is a very ancient living creature, belonging to jellyfish coelenterate, or a small community under polypite class of cnidophore phylum. Unlike the ordinary jellyfish, the peach jellyfish lives in fresh water, which makes it an extremely rare species. It is briefed that the peach jellyfish has a living history of 1.5 billion years and is as precious as the panda. Before this, peach jellyfish was only seen at Zigui of the Three Gorges area.

Here is the GE view and the Dam at the end of the lake.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 01:30:57 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2007, 10:43:11 AM »
Thanks for bringing that over peach..how could I forget about Dan Bollinger's site  :groan:. The man and his crew are smart and have good intel.
Very hard to find pictures of Zhelin Lake ....

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
You found one picture?? Color me impressed--I looked for 2 hours last night and came up with ZERO! :lol:

But since they named a precious-as-a panda jellyfish after me and all --I'll have to stick with this lake for now! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2007, 03:30:16 PM »
Wezzie posted this @ sucks ...
 :yess:
So it's official - the location is indeed Jiangxi. Where in Jiangxi is another matter. Nanchanglife has heard it on the grapevine that it's somewhere near the city of  WuNing, possibly Zheling Lake. Anyone know if it'll be shown here in China?

link

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »
Ummm...WuNing is NOWHERE near Zhelin lake if I'm in the right city....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2007, 07:51:18 PM »
I know its hard to follow peach ...

Pretty sure Wuning County is in Jiujiang city which is in the Jiangxi Province :crazy

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2007, 08:40:39 PM »
Found this
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao(R front) talks with local farmers in Changshui Village, Wuning County of east China's Jiangxi Province,
but also found this:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2007, 03:09:39 AM »
Woohoo! Zhelin Lake it is!

A bad translation follows...

The fifteenth season of Survivor (Survivor: China) will be filmed in Zhelin Lake of Jiujiang, Jiangxi. This region is also known as the Thousand Island Lake of Jiangxi. :groan:

Here is a Google image of Zhelin Lake (looks like a dragon). The local government is pretty smart, this is a great promotion opportunity!

Introduction to Zhelin Lake

Zhelin Lake is a freshwater lake formed by the construction of Asia's largest concrete
(?) dam, the Great Zhelin Dam.

It is located in the northwestern corner of Jiangxi's Yongxiu County, 40km away from Nanchang. It's bounded 90km to the north by the world-famous Lushan, making it a superb location. Transportation is convenient, with Changjiu Expressway, the Jingjiu Railway, Changbei Airport and Routes 106 and 306 within 30-minute driving distance.

Zhelin Lake has a rich and unique biodiversity, and has been acclaimed as a "rare treasure".

The lake covers 308kmē of crystal clear water, and its average depth is 45m. With one being able to see nine miles across the lake, it is nationally classified as a First Class Water Body. Thousands of islands dot the lake, with 997 of them over five [Chinese] acres. In addition to that are the uncountable smaller islands, the lush vegetation, the lagoons and the mountain peaks.

Searching Google turned up these images, and here's the official site.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:50:09 AM by Neobie »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2007, 08:23:42 AM »
Thank you so much Neobie! Guess I need to teach my Google to speak Chinese, huh? Nice pictures!

WARNING: My computer is telling me that this site www*yxtj25*gov*cn has a particularly nasty spyware so you may want to avoid it. I changed the dots to asterisks so no one would click it accidently.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »
Neobie, you Rock!  :yess:
peach that is funny because I googled and searched all search engines for those pictures and found like 2 :lol:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:09:05 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
peach that is funny because I googled and searched all search engines for those pictures and found like 2

Heh--me too! And that is two more than I found !  :-\

What does happen if I install the language pack? any drawbacks? Maybe if my Google DOES speak Chinese I'll have better luck!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »
Here's my 2 cents.

By matching the mountain profile shown in this shot with what I get in GE I have a possible location for the place where the shot was taken at Zhelin Lake.  Also, the shot was probably taken in the early morning when lake waters are still and glass like.  The increased illuminance on the left of the shot (sunrise) suggests that the direction of the shot was to the south.

Forget about matching the shapes of the islands on GE   :groan:

Any difference in the dam's water level when the satellite image was taken would result in different shaped islands.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
Here is the tilted view from GE

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »
You are fantastic Chateau  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2007, 02:14:03 PM »
I've been looking for this place and it could be either, Wuyishan, Maiji mountain, or of course Huangshan.

eta: but then again could just be as simple as Lu Mountains/Lushan.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:34:32 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »
Nice Chateau! I've been searching every where for that C shaped little island with no luck--good job!

And because we might need it -- Chinese film production companies
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »
From a myspace blog google alert FWIW:

Survivor China News

Press conference in Shanghai on 16th June. Then they back to Jiangxi for 45 days shoot.

Zhelin Lake is CLOSED!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
whos' myspace is it peach? I so that news posted at sucks yesterday.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »
here you go puddin:

Some guy in Arkansas I think: http://www.myspace.com/thegamesurvivor
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »
Oh no not " TheGame"  :lol3:!? Looks like he just wrote what he saw at sucks...  :tup:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »
Found an update here:

1. Filming headquarters will be at Lujiaojian (#6 on this map, on the eastern end of the lake).
2. The filming perimeter will stretch to Yangzhou in Wuning.
3. More than 400 people are involved in the shooting.
4. As of now, filming equipment, transport and other logistics have arrived at the lake.
5. Shacks have been constructed on the south shores of the lake.
6. Filming will last three months (three months?!).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2007, 01:12:28 PM »
Very nice Neobie and cool map  :yess:

Offline Rob

• RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Reality Fan Forum
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »
I don't think filming will be 3 months, usually, crew arrives many weeks in advance to setup things like TC, start challenges, and stuff like that, and then stay a few weeks after to clean up. That could account for 3 months, not all filming, but a lot of buzz around because it takes quite a few people??

Watch the show prove me wrong! LOL

Rob

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2007, 06:21:49 PM »
Severe flooding in China --wonder if it is affecting our lake at all?

Floods after days of prolonged rainstorms have brought down about 2,000 houses in China's eastern province of Jiangxi, news agency Xinhua said on Sunday.

Houses in 59 towns were wrecked by the floods, which caused an economic loss of nearly 100 million yuan ($13 million), following heavy rains across most of Jiangxi between Thursday and Sunday.

"The floods have caused casualties and evacuations of residents in some areas, but the exact number has yet to be counted," Xinhua quoted a local official as saying.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 06:42:16 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule: