Author Topic: EP3: "I'm Sorry I'm Wearing A Bathing Suit. It Is Very Weird, I Know."  (Read 107082 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP3: "I'm Sorry I'm Wearing A Bathing Suit. It Is Very Weird, I Know."
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »
Just to muddy up the waters let me throw this one out.  Perhaps not a TBC, but this is an early NEL with a Yield.  Rob and Amber are yielded and then end up last on the mat.  If TPTB follow practice from last TAR, then Romber would have to finish first in leg 4 or be eliminated.  Which they are.  This keeps the number of programs in balance for the finish on May 13.

Just a wild idea as I look at the wild blue waters of the rafting bit as posted by Peach.

GMAN, you haven't got the MARKED FOR ELIMINATION concept quite right. If Rob and Amber finish last in a NEL leg, then they have to finish first or suffer a 30 minute penalty. They are not automatically eliminated, but with the design of the legs in AR10 was that in 2 of 3 cases (exception was when David and Mary lucked out with the Fast Forward due to fake-out assistance from the Chos) it was almost impossible to overcome the 30 minutes penalty and David and Mary (2nd time) and Dustin and Kandice (Barcelona) were eliminated by it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:19:36 PM by apskip »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2007, 02:33:26 PM »
The ramshackle appearance of the fish farm is bugging me a little. It doesn't look like a profit place, so I'm searching schools now. Here's a construction picture; the photo caption states that the PM fish farm (Instituto Araucana) didn't become operational until August 2006 (you can go to the Hesy site and search the galleries for other Chile photos). And the Austral University also has a PM "acuicultura" place, but the photo doesn't look like a match.

:lol:  I was scanning all over the coastline of Puerto Montt with Google Earth looking for those "pipes" (or whatever they were, and the building with the dormers) but couldn't find anything that matched.  This area is known for salmon farms, so why the "flounders"?  Maybe Pacific Salmon would put up too much of a fight being lifted by hand.   ;)

(ETA: Looks like Puerto Montt has "food courts" at their malls just like we do.   :rotf:  Yumm yumm, those DoggiS sure look good!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:48:15 PM by Boingo »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
;D  OK, let's all stop for a second and take a deep breath, so we can see where we are heading.   :lol:   Here's the "big picture" view of upcoming spoiler locations in Patagonia.  Given Puerto Montt is over 850 miles from Punta Arena, it does look like a TBC in Chile/Argentina is likely.  Ushualia is only 160 miles from Punta Arena, BTW.

B:)  OK, times up, back to racing, err.... I mean spoiling.   ;)
Maybe PA is just a seperate leg?

I am now considering the possibility of 5 South America legs. #3 at Puerto Montt, #4 at Punta Arenas and #5 at Ushuaia. This occurs to me because of the wealth of activities that appear to happen around Puerto Montt, elevating that to its own short leg(although there is 1000 miles of flying to get there). Also, the statement that there were ultimately 5 teams in Sequesterville - Acapulco has bothered me, because I just don't believe they would bring someone back from Mozambique to Mexico. Having all South America eliminations at Acapulco makes more sense to me.

Having a two-to-three-week vacation in Acapulco ain't all that bad!  Great clubs, great restaurants, great beach, etc. just too many people!  What a change from 1963 when I was first there.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2007, 03:17:21 PM »
Boingo  :lol:

well there for sure is a body of water nearby
and you can see Eric is up that rock...

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »
so wait, is the picture of the BQs and Rob and Amber working with the compass from episode four

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2007, 03:32:24 PM »
The ramshackle appearance of the fish farm is bugging me a little. It doesn't look like a profit place, so I'm searching schools now. Here's a construction picture; the photo caption states that the PM fish farm (Instituto Araucana) didn't become operational until August 2006 (you can go to the Hesy site and search the galleries for other Chile photos). And the Austral University also has a PM "acuicultura" place, but the photo doesn't look like a match.

I agree that it looks like new construction too. I've sent out a couple of "fishing" emails to Puerto Montt--so will hope I "catch" something!

Here are 2 Puerto Montt aquaculture schools...

Austral university of Chile (Puerto Montt, Valdivia) Engineering in Acuicultura, Marine Biology.

I.P. The Araucana (Puerto Montt) Engineering of Execution in Acuicultura

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2007, 03:34:01 PM »
so wait, is the picture of the BQs and Rob and Amber working with the compass from episode four
We are 99.9% sure Mike. Romber still around for EP4 so they are safe EP3  ;D

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »
RIO PETROHUE

"Whitewater rafting on the Petrohue River is a Class III adrenaline rush through 12 kilometers of pristine river, forests, waterfalls and volcanos."

Google Earth shows that it begins at the town of Petrohue at the exit of Lago Todos de Santo underneath Volcano Osorno at 41 degrees 08' 07.55" S and
72 degrees 23' 49.77" W. It ends into Rio Cochamo at 41 degrees 23' 04.91" S and 72 degrees 18' 28.17" W.

The interesting falls and most likely rafting area is the upper third of the river.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2007, 03:49:21 PM »
Chateau--if you have updated your pretty timeline, would you mind sharing it again? I'm getting a little mixed up about dates and how everyone is getting around...

And since we have essentially added a leg in South America, how will this impact our thoughts about there still being a missing location in Africa or Europe? Do we still have that as an option?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »
PEACH, nothing changes until we see that Episode 3 ends with in Puerto Montt. However, that is looking probable at this point. The implications for Europe are zilch. The implications for Africa are that there is no room for two Africa episodes if we have 5 in South America unless Hong Kong and Macau are a combined episode (which they could be instead of separate episodes). With whitewater rafting covered, the need to go to Kenya vanishes. My most probable scenario is Maputo, then either Dar-es-Salaam or Zanzibar(pick-em at this point).

Offline $HOP@HOL!C

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2007, 04:24:22 PM »
I dnt think this is a TBC. Didnt 1 of the clues say the words "pit stop" in it???

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »
RIO PETROHUE

"Whitewater rafting on the Petrohue River is a Class III adrenaline rush through 12 kilometers of pristine river, forests, waterfalls and volcanos."

Google Earth shows that it begins at the town of Petrohue at the exit of Lago Todos de Santo underneath Volcano Osorno at 41 degrees 08' 07.55" S and
72 degrees 23' 49.77" W. It ends into Rio Cochamo at 41 degrees 23' 04.91" S and 72 degrees 18' 28.17" W.

The interesting falls and most likely rafting area is the upper third of the river.

apskip: Just to let you know, you can save a lot of time and trouble posting the longitude/latitude of Google Earth locations, simply by creating ("save as") and attaching a .kmz file in GE (like I just did).  That way the reader only has to click on the link, select "open", and GE will open the "associated" file to that location automatically.  Cool stuff.   ;) 

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »
BOINGO, I've never understood what to do with .kmz files until now. One more little addition to my array of resources. This is not a word I tend to use a lot, but nothing else really fits:  COOL and thanks!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »
Shadow boxing Boingo  :lol:? I like it!!
test

« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 05:56:35 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
Shadow boxing Boingo  :lol:? I like it!!
test

:lol: yep!   (never rmind....)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:01 PM »
No luck finding the 40 foot rock climb but this looks like fun! No idea if you could climb it though  :angel:

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Petrohue area seems like the best bet for both rafting and rock climbing.  More information here:

http://www.inkas.com/tours/chile/petrohue_excursions.html#anchor1942621

Another possibilty would be in and around Chaiten (3 hours by bus from Puerto Montt (or a 25minute charter air trip) Rafting in the Rio Fotaleufu and Rock climbing on the Torre de los Vientos  (Tower of the winds)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
I've been up and down the Lake District Gman with no luck ..I was leaning towards Puerto Octay, Osorno and of course Puerto Montt.

I think the detour is first, as we see the teams bunched somewhat then the Roadblock but, I can't help but to wonder what the clue was missed per webclues? Was it something to do with the detour or the roadblock? I wonder how far back they have to go? or did they do what teams have done in the past..see Phil at the Pitstop before knowing the last task and that confused them? ...with Phil sending them back to complete the task of course.

** At the pitstop, one team's joy turns to shock when Phil tells them that they did not get one of their clues and they have to go back to retrieve it. Is this the end of their race?

Offline scoop0

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Wow - everyone here does such an amazing job with the research - I'm glad I could help a little.

I've only rafted the Fu down there, but the couple places you've narrowed it down to look spot-on. I tried e-mailing my former river guides down there to find out more info, but I'm just getting auto replies that they're all on the river. Oh, well, I tried. :'(

One thing I did notice was that in the preview when Teri is arguing at the airport counter, it's definitely NOT in Puerto Montt which has a solid wall behind the ticketing agents.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
;D  OK, let's all stop for a second and take a deep breath, so we can see where we are heading.   :lol:   Here's the "big picture" view of upcoming spoiler locations in Patagonia.  Given Puerto Montt is over 850 miles from Punta Arena, it does look like a TBC in Chile/Argentina is likely.  Ushualia is only 160 miles from Punta Arena, BTW.

B:)  OK, times up, back to racing, err.... I mean spoiling.   ;)
Maybe PA is just a seperate leg?

I am now considering the possibility of 5 South America legs. #3 at Puerto Montt, #4 at Punta Arenas and #5 at Ushuaia. This occurs to me because of the wealth of activities that appear to happen around Puerto Montt, elevating that to its own short leg(although there is 1000 miles of flying to get there). Also, the statement that there were ultimately 5 teams in Sequesterville - Acapulco has bothered me, because I just don't believe they would bring someone back from Mozambique to Mexico. Having all South America eliminations at Acapulco makes more sense to me.

Having a two-to-three-week vacation in Acapulco ain't all that bad!  Great clubs, great restaurants, great beach, etc. just too many people!  What a change from 1963 when I was first there.

GMAN, my only trip to Acapulco was in 1976. It was a very trendy resort then, but not overblown. I went to a sleepy little village called Zihuatenejo to seen the construction for Ixtapa, which had just started. The daily cliff diving demonstrations were the highlight in Acapulco.

BOINGO, I want to clarify your statement that "Ushuaia is only 160 miles from Punta Arenas." That's as the crow or airlplane flies and unfortunately there is no scheduled air service from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia on Sundays(Nov. 26). The alternative by water is over 300 miles and would take 1.5 days minimum. The alternative by land takes express buses 11 3/4 hours including the 2.5 hour ferry crossing to Porvenir. It's a long, winding rough road from Porvenir though Tierra del Fuego Island.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:05 PM »
Wow - everyone here does such an amazing job with the research - I'm glad I could help a little.

I've only rafted the Fu down there, but the couple places you've narrowed it down to look spot-on. I tried e-mailing my former river guides down there to find out more info, but I'm just getting auto replies that they're all on the river. Oh, well, I tried. :'(

One thing I did notice was that in the preview when Teri is arguing at the airport counter, it's definitely NOT in Puerto Montt which has a solid wall behind the ticketing agents.

scoop0, I would expect the Teri scene to be at the Calama or Santiago airport, both of which have to be passed through to get to Puerto Montt.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
CBS Press Release:

TEAMS MUST COMPLETE A TWO AND A HALF-MILE WHITE WATER RAFTING COURSE THROUGH RAGING RAPIDS, THROWING ONE RACER TO THE WILD RIVER AS THEIR TEAMMATE WATCHES HELPLESSLY, ON "THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS," SUNDAY, MARCH 4, 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT

"I'm Sorry I'm Wearing A Bathing Suit.  It Is Very Weird, I Know" -- At the Pit Stop, one Team's joy turns to shock when Phil tells them that they did not get one of their clues and they must have them all before checking in, on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS, Sunday, March 4 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
Let's put our best thinking caps on. Here is the episode 3 dilemna of possible outcomes:

1. It ends in the Puerto Montt area with a pitstop.

2. Puerto Montt is half of a one hour episode shared with Punta Arenas.

3. Puerto Montt is half of a double leg that will end with a pit stop in the Punta Arenas area.

One piece of data that we have is the first 5 teams all going to Sequesterville- Acapulco, which is an argument for having 5 South American pit stops and a vote for #1 above.

A second piece of data is scepticism that Amazing Race producers will go 5 difficult episodes without a NEL to slow things down a little. That would be most consistent with #1 or #2. although #3 is not impossible in that scenario.

I seek input from the rest of RFF. Truly, what are your thoughts?

Offline NDIrish

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
Hi I'm new around here...okay, I've been lurking for a couple of seasons now....

I have a couple questions about the fish that is supposedly flounder   ???

On page 4 I think reply #84...Puddin posted a new episode teaser...

A.  Why is the fish that Mirna has that, I think she says "won't hurt her anymore" white and without it's dark skin.  It looks like he's flapping his mouth while he doesn't have any skin on him.  Are they going to have to eat the fish they catch...and raw at that?   :o

and B....
The clip right after Mirna's clip, Eric is telling Danielle that she's gotta get her B____.  It doesn't sound like he is saying "box".  So that leads me to ask if they truly are flounder or the "B" word is the kind of flounder they are or maybe they are some kind of fish starting with "B".  It almost sounds like get your Bucs or Bugs, it doesn't sound like box.

Finally there was a squiggly one eyed thing on a plate/pan in a freeze frame on an earlier page that someone asked what it was...that looks like a squid, although I don't know if they are in an area where squid exists.  He looked raw, too.

You guys are great detectives around here!    :waves:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
i think he's saying boobs