Author Topic: EP2: "Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep."  (Read 84973 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP2: "Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep."
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2007, 11:58:04 PM »
E/D & U/J

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:06:10 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 12:01:10 AM »
the Cha's & David ..what is that? Gas station? toll plaza  :lol: %$^$ CBS sucks

Offline makz3d

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2007, 05:40:43 AM »
I think Charla wants BQs to share the cost of following a taxi.  I think BQs are reluctant to do it.  Charla may want all of their money or most of it.  Based on Charla giving the taxi driver all of their money on the first leg I feel that they will think nothing of using all of their money and then having to beg, if that will help them in the race.  The BQs are probably afraid to use all of their money and then have to beg for food or whatever.

The taxi driver must really want a lot to be their guide to wherever they are going.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 06:13:42 AM »
charlierose, great find on the naval museum. You stated "THis is in a town called Punta Arenas, close to the Tierra del Fuego National Park.  I cannot find pictures of the Museum, but this may be what we are looking for. Here is a map of the area (hope I do it right)"

Your map if fine. I would caution you that PUNTA ARENAS is nowhere near Tierra del Fuego National Park, which is close to USHUAIA, Argentina. Perhaps you were thinking Tierra del Fuego Island, which can be seen across the Strait of Magellan from PUNTA ARENAS.

There is a Museo Naval in Valparaíso, Chile.  I can find the building on Google Earth, but no other pictures yet.

Do we think this museum is in Ecuador or Chile? (Kevin and Drew might think Peru)

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »
charlierose, great find on the naval museum. You stated "THis is in a town called Punta Arenas, close to the Tierra del Fuego National Park.  I cannot find pictures of the Museum, but this may be what we are looking for. Here is a map of the area (hope I do it right)"

Your map if fine. I would caution you that PUNTA ARENAS is nowhere near Tierra del Fuego National Park, which is close to USHUAIA, Argentina. Perhaps you were thinking Tierra del Fuego Island, which can be seen across the Strait of Magellan from PUNTA ARENAS.

There is a Museo Naval in Valparaíso, Chile.  I can find the building on Google Earth, but no other pictures yet.

Do we think this museum is in Ecuador or Chile? (Kevin and Drew might think Peru)

eta: En Ingles with links to other rooms/exibits.

http://www.armada.cl/site/tradicion_historia/tradicion/museonaval/ohiggin2.html

This is what I have found so far..

Interactive map: Not much but it shows Paseo 21 De Mayo

http://www.rutavalparaiso.cl/web/pag/cd2_en.htm

Naval and Maritime Museum

It possesses important relics that tell about the history of the Chilean Navy from 1818 to 1880. The seat of the Museum was the Chilean Navy School until 1967, when the last Naval ceremony took place there.
Address: Paseo 21 de Mayo
Telephone: (32) 437-651
Opening hours: from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Entrance fee: adults 500 pesos, children and pensioners 200 pesos

The Naval and Maritime Museum is an establishment aimed to protect, preserve and divulge to the public, the Chilean Naval and Maritime historical heritage.
The premises are located at Valparaiso, Chile, Paseo 21 de Mayo, a location where you may enjoy a spectacular view of the bay and harbor. The museum, occupying since 1967 part of a building that belonged to the ex- naval school, was reconditioned maintaining the original architectural design.

This link has phone numbers, email, etc.

http://www.armada.cl/site/tradicion_historia/tradicion/museonaval/intro.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:13:41 AM by Big Papi »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 10:09:38 AM »
The problem I'm having is getting inside those museum doors  :lol:! Lots of facades...no indoors.
I wonder what really sits in the clue box spot? something pretty big?

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »
The problem I'm having is getting inside those museum doors  :lol:! Lots of facades...no indoors.

my guess is that statue holder thingy to the right

Offline Big Papi

• "RFF's very own Amazing All-Star Papi"
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »

Where's georgiapeach  :whereru: (Telephone: (32) 437-651) ? Maybe there's a new Avi in her future.. :jumpy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2007, 10:32:32 AM »
Why I think the museum is in Ecuador  :angel:

Teams leave the piststop and drive themselves to Quito? somewhere? in the vehicles they came in. Of course the Frats get a new vehicle but again have troubles and get stuck in the mud.

They are directed to find this building where they must match something? to get a clue that directs them to take a taxi to Quito airport and fly to Calama/ Atacama desert to do other tasks.
See its nightime ..

Cha's and Romber are 2 teams we see on the flight..

From these pictures below it is now daylight ..can someone can tell me how long a flight from Quito to Calama would take?  :lol:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
Kogs has a good point. It looks like they just moved the model ship out of the way to make room for the cluebox. Maybe the whole exhibit is about that ship and what it carried.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
From these pictures below it is now daylight ..can someone can tell me how long a flight from Quito to Calama would take? 

Here you go.  Looks like about 13 hours.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2007, 11:12:54 AM »

my guess is that statue holder thingy to the right
lol, reminds me of Tomb Raider!! I wonder why its so important? Maybe we should be looking for model shippy things?
and thanks Chateau for the times!!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
PUDDIN, your statement "Why I think the museum is in Ecuador 

Teams leave the piststop and drive themselves to Quito? somewhere? in the vehicles they came in. Of course the Frats get a new vehicle but again have troubles and get stuck in the mud."

makes no sense to me. No sane Ecuadorian would locate a naval museum in Quito 2 hours from the nearest significant body of water. It would be in Guayaquil, the seaport and largest city of Ecuador.

I have no quarrel with the naval museum in Valparaiso except that I don't believe the race will be diverted from Santiago airport and back just to allow a visit to that museum. With a perfectly good naval museum in PUNTA ARENAS where the race is going anyway, that is where we are likely to see AR11 visit a naval museum.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:13 AM »
Maybe its a temporary exhibit :hides:?

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »

I like the cultural center that puddin found.  Googling "quito cultural metroploitan" I stumbled across a web site that list Quito museums.  Interestingly I found the following:

Centro Cultural Metropolitano

A great adventure to see Ecuador's past, including the XVIII century time when the Geodesic Mission visit the "Mitad del Mundo" to determine the exact location of the equatorial line.

Hours: Tuesday - Sunday: 10:00-18:00
Entrance Fee: $1.50; students $0.75; children $0.50
García Moreno & Espejo
Phone: (02) 2 584 362

I am thinking the lines on the floor (where the clue box is located) represent the equator.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2007, 11:45:54 AM »
PUDDIN, your statement "Why I think the museum is in Ecuador 
makes no sense to me. No sane Ecuadorian would locate a naval museum in Quito 2 hours from the nearest significant body of water. It would be in Guayaquil, the seaport and largest city of Ecuador.
I have no quarrel with the naval museum in Valparaiso except that I don't believe the race will be diverted from Santiago airport and back just to allow a visit to that museum. With a perfectly good naval museum in PUNTA ARENAS where the race is going anyway, that is where we are likely to see AR11 visit a naval museum.
Oh I didn't know they went to PUNTA ARENAS in this leg? I'll have to read back. And I'm just looking around, I never claimed my theory to be right..I'm pretty sure we can speculate here? Isn't this how we try to put things together? And yes I have been looking around Guayaquil also but with no luck.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »
OK, PUDDIN, you are right. I had missed something. I've been trying to put a naval museum into perspective, but that isn't what we need to do. The few naval objects are part of a much broader collection in a large museum and they must be in the Quito area because they are part of Episode 2. There won't be any such museums in Calama or San Pedro de Atacama.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »
OK, PUDDIN, you are right. I had missed something. I've been trying to put a naval museum into perspective, but that isn't what we need to do. The few naval objects are part of a much broader collection in a large museum and they must be in the Quito area because they are part of Episode 2. There won't be any such museums in Calama or San Pedro de Atacama.
apskip, don't feel the need to agree with me. I am perfectly capable of making an idiot out of myself without bringing you down with me, thank you very much  :lol:

Offline charlierose

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Full Member
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
I continue with my museum in Chille theory. Like I said, CHile is well know for the NAval.  THey have several naval academies, that Latin AMerica kids go to. 

I dont think the Museum in Valparaiso is the one they go to. Valparaiso is way up north of Ushuai, etc. 

There is another Naval Museum called "Museo Naval Antártico Comodoro Federico Guesalaga Toro" on a Naval Base Arturo Prat on the Chilean Antartica. I asume it has to be close to Ushuai. I dont have any picture to pinpoint this Museum or the "Museo Naval y Marítimo de Punta Arenas" to be the ones the go.  Also we could look into Naval Academies, as another option.

Hope this helps.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:28 PM »
charlierose, to support your efforts I have done some research which has been successful on Naval Base Arturio Prat in the Chilean Antarctic. It is on Robert Island in the South Shetland Islands, third island south of King George Island. No, nobody is going to send the Amazing Race there to see its naval museum. However, if you want to learn more about it and can read Spanish, try this:  Naval Base Prat

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »
CBS Press release:

RACING TO AVOID ELIMINATION, FOUR TEAMS CONDUCT A MAD DASH IN 4x4's ACROSS THE DESERT WHERE FRUSTRATION AND ANGER BOIL OVER AND ALLIANCES ARE SHATTERED ON "THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS" SUNDAY, FEB. 25, 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK
       "Beauty Is Sometimes Skin Deep" -- One Team's daring attempts to outsmart the competition fall drastically when a chanced flight is delayed on THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS, airing Sunday, Feb. 25 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

This has Romber written all over it  :lol:
One Team's daring attempts to outsmart the competition fall drastically when a chanced flight is delayed on THE AMAZING RACE

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:36 PM »
presents  ...looks like a Detour afterall !!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 02:57:25 PM »
When Mirna speculates about R/A having a better flight, they're standing in UIO. There's an American Deli in the International area. It's edited to look like R/A are already in a different airport ahead of the pack, but I haven't found a match for the background yet. (If teams have to change those tires without power tools, they should seriously consider the other option  ;D)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »
The road sign in the promo says

S. P. de Atacama (arrow pointing ahead) (S P = San Pedro)
Parque
Valle de la Luna (arrow to the right)

It looks like the same road that the BQs vs Charla & Mirna confrontation occurs.

And...I don't even have to break out the SEMA calculatios to say that that happened between noon and 1:00 pm.  That is because of the way the sun is so high up.  If the actual road position is found then I will be able to nail down the time to a few minutes because it goes from East to West in about one hour.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »
Okay here is the spot roughly.  I can't believe they get a taxi to go that far.