Author Topic: EP1 Title: "I Told You Less Martinis And More Cardio."  (Read 161289 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP1 Vidcaps
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2007, 01:48:34 AM »
Heres the site and another link ..they have condors, cattle, rodeo's, horses.
Hopefully tomorrow CBS fix's that picture of Phil  and makes it larger to download  :meow:.

eta more info:
HACIENDA YANAHURCO, Cotopaxi:

Hacienda Yanahurco is the largest Andean mountain ranch and private wildlife refuge in Ecuador (approx. 6500 acres). It is the only private refuge of this size in the Andes, and is, therefore, a sanctuary for a number of endangered species such as the magnificent Andean condor and the rare spectacle bear. Hacienda Yanahurco, which is open a limited number of tourists, is also run as a cattle ranch, so visitors can really experience the Andean way of life.

There are 10 guest rooms each with private washrooms. At Yanahurco visitors can take part in the following activities: horseback riding, trout fishing, fly fishing, photography, hiking, and bicycling. In November, the Yanahurco Rodeo is a unique and exceptional event where guests can participate actively by accompanying the cowboys on their long daily rides or simply watch from afar the strenuous task of rounding up the cattle
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:51:36 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2007, 01:55:07 AM »
Looks promising!  :tup: Here's a photo set with pics from inside the corral; the red thingys are either gates or hide-behinds.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2007, 02:00:29 AM »
Oh you spelled it different Slowhatch!!  :keeta:

Yanahourco

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »
 :dancer:

pardon my sloppy arrows

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2007, 02:30:57 AM »
Wow guys--based on the hill profiles behind Phil this one looks even more probable than the other! Another great detective job! :yess:

It is 60 miles southeast of Quito...

:lol: Mirna's worst nightmare! More beef on the hoof!    :cow   Maybe rodeo style tasks would be what the teams would do?

Find me a phone # or email and I'll make some enquiries--looks like I'm cut out to be the new RFF press liason!  :flirt:

And what are we all doing up in the middle of the night anyway? Not obsessed or anything are we?? :lol:

:nitenite:                          (Oh my...there is nasty icy white stuff falling in my neighborhood!)
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2007, 02:49:40 AM »
Look at this guys! Our TAR teams might have been there at just the right time for the annual roundup/rodeo!   :monk3:

For company outings, celebrations and conventions, the YANAHURCO Hacienda offers its installations and services for specific programs, in coordination with the companies requesting this kind of service. For this type of event, YANAHURCO can organize bullfighting festivals (without killing the bulls), with the help and participacion of bullfigters and their assistants. Bar and restaurant services, local music bands, fireworks, overnight accommodations, fishing, dancing, rock-ola music, C.D. player, etc. will be included. This tour has to be planned in coordination with the interested company, in accordance to its needs. Reservations are required 60 days in advance. The price of this tour is set depending on its specific conditions

RODEO
Every year, approx. at the end of November, The YANAHURCO Hacienda undertakes the largest roundup of the Ecuadorian - Sierra, where the cattle of the Hacienda are rounded up with the assistance of about 100 cowboys during a two-week period.

About 2000 heads of cattle are driven down to the ranch and, on the last day, herded into large corrals for vaccination, branding, and couting. Tourists can actively participate in this unique event, accompanying the cowboys on their long daily rides, or simply watch from afar the strenuous task of roundin up the cattle and admire the cowboys expert horse-riding, their dexterity with ropes and lassos, and their typical attire.

CAMPING

The YANAHURCO Hacienda has assigned a special site for those who wish to go camping. This campsite will provide the group (minimum 5 persons) with all the comfort and security they need for a pleasant, quiet, comfortable and unforgettable stay. The hacienda is a private property carefully managed at all times. Thus, ensuring the privacy of its visitors. The campsite includes the following: a large hut (5x5m) with grill and space for barbecues and a half bathroom. Electricity services at night, from 18:00 to 23:00. For persons who have no camping equipment, the hacienda offers the Ļblue houseĻ with three bedrooms with complete bathroom and hot water for 14 persons (minimum 10 persons).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:57:24 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2007, 03:16:27 AM »
Eating task?

From a blog in Otavalo....

I had my first experience of a chickenīs foot beckoning me from the bottom of my soup bowl today! Itīs apparently a local specialty and the locals actually chew the meat of the foot!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TPorter2

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2007, 06:04:32 AM »
I just want to say that all of you spoiler peeps are awesome, I really enjoy reading about your finds! 

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »
Eating task?

From a blog in Otavalo....

I had my first experience of a chickenīs foot beckoning me from the bottom of my soup bowl today! Itīs apparently a local specialty and the locals actually chew the meat of the foot!

GEORGIA PEACH, that sounds like an eating task for China or Hong Kong. It may be available in Otavalo, but that is not a typical Ecuadorian meal. I've been to Otavalo and do not remember that as one of my dining options(and I wasn't eating at hotel restaurants). Here is what I found on Ecuadorian food and drink:

Ecuador is known for its fabulous exotic fruits, high quality fish and seafood, and the countless varieties of Andean potatoes. Across the country you'll find a broad spectrum of national and regional dishes, including lemon-marinated shrimp, toasted corn, and pastries stuffed with spiced meats. If you're feeling courageous, you can put your culinary bravery to the test with roasted cuy (guinea pig) or tronquito (bull penis soup).

At only pennies per bite, bakeries offer a delicious range of breads, sweet pastries, and savory snacks, such as empanadas (hot, crispy meat or cheese-filled pastries) and llapingachos (potato and cheese pancakes). Dishes sold in the street are also quite cheap, but hygiene is often questionable, and you may quickly surpass your intestinal limits. A good rule to follow is the "locals rule" -- if the place is frequented by many locals, the food probably merits joining the crowd.

The regular diet of rice, potatoes, and meat (beef and chicken everywhere, pork in the Sierra) is complimented by another national culinary institution, aji (hot sauce). Most Ecuadorian restaurants and homes have their own version of aji, each with its own intensity of "picante" (a word derived from the verb to bite or to sting), so sample a bit before smothering your food! If you don't see a little bowl of aji on your table, just ask theyīve surely got it. In addition to aji, basic dishes are usually accompanied by the proverbial rice, small salad, and potatoes or patacones (squashed, fried green bananas). On the coast and in the Amazon, potatoes are often supplemented or replaced by menestra (beans or lentils) or yuca.

Soups are without doubt Ecuador's specialty. Most lunches and dinners are accompanied by a savory soup as the first course. Locro soup, made with cheese, avocado and potato, sounds a bit odd, but is actually quite tasty. Chupe de pescado, a fish and vegetable soup with coastal origins, is becoming popular throughout the country. Bolder diners can try yaguarlocro, a potato soup made with sprinkings of blood. Those ready to throw their inhibitions completely to the wind should dip their spoon into caldo de pata, a broth containing chunks of boiled cow hooves, considered a delicacy by locals and believed by hopeful men to increase virility.

Other dishes found in your everyday restaurant or home include: seco de pollo (stewed chicken accompanied by rice and avocado slices); lomo salteado (thin beef steak covered with onions and tomatoes); and seco de chivo (goat stew served with a mound of rice. Tortillas de maiz (thin corn pancakes) and choclo (barbecued Andean corn) are sold by street vendors and make great snacks any time of day.

Seafood
Seafood is popular and plentiful throughout Ecuador. Lobster dinners can be enjoyed along the coast and in major cities for very low prices. In Esmeraldas province on the northern coast, your tastebuds will happily discover a new culinary twist with "encocados," seafood dishes prepared in coconut milk.

The signature dish of the country, however, is ceviche, a seafood dish marinated in lemon and onions -- Ecuador's answer to sushi. Unlike sushi however, Ecuadorian ceviche is always dished up with popcorn! Ceviche can be made of fish (de pescado), shrimp (de camarones), shellfish (de concha), squid (de calamari), or all of the above (mixta). Exercise caution, however, as improperly prepared ceviche --especially de concha-- has become one of the primary vectors for cholera and other nasty bacteria. Most restaurants are aware of this and act accordingly, but choose your dining establishment wisely.

Drinks
For the sake of your intestinal happiness, drink only bottled or boiled water, not water from the tap. Distilled and sparkling waters from Ecuadorian springs are available throughout the country and are of good quality. If you head for the tap, youīll probably be heading for the bathroom, or worse, the doctor a few days later. Remember that tap water is frequently used in ice, so request your beverages "sin hielo" (without ice) in restaurants.

With the mouthwatering exotic fruits of Ecuador come delicious fruit juices, (jugos) including naranjilla (a cross between an orange and a tomato), tree tomato, mora (blackberry), guanabana (a luscious thick aromatic sweet white juice), maracuya (passion fruit) and papaya.

Bottled and canned fizzy drinks (including Coca Cola, Sprite and Fanta) are widely available throughout the country, as are teas and coffees. In spite of Ecuador's status as a coffee producing country, coffee quality is often rather disappointing, as the best beans are usually sent overseas. But if you can hunt down a good cafe youīll be able to revel in some first-rate caffeine, made from home-grown beans.

Chicha is a traditional libation found throughout Andean countries, made from fermented maiz, rice or yuca (manioc). In some rural parts of Ecuador, the fermentation process is augmented by human saliva: Chicha makers (typically women) chew the ingredients and spit them back in the pot to brew. Itīs not a good idea to sample it though, as hepatitis B is commonly passed with the bowl. A variety of Andean versions of Chicha exist that arenīt chewed and may be safe.

Not to be missed is the Andean drink of choice: canelazo (or canelito), a popular fiesta drink similar to a hot toddy, made of boiled water, sugar cane alcohol, lemon, sugar and cinnamon.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:20:39 AM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2007, 09:10:42 AM »
YANAHOURCO

Apparently, this haceinda has the South American equivalent of the running of the bulls at Pamplona in LATE NOVEMBER every year as a major tourist attraction. This seems like another thing that the Amazing Race team would utilize as a task:

At Yanahourco bringing in the fighting bulls is as run of the mill as a British harvest time. Every year at the end of November (when the rains have begun to subside) chagras come riding in from villages up to 5 or 6 hours away to help with the round-up. For tourists the thrill of galloping full pelt down long grass tufted mountainsides, whilst avoiding the bulls which break free like meteors, is apparently second to none.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »
 :jumpy:

Nice work Puddin!

Perfect match.  Too bad GE is fuzzy there.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2007, 09:45:38 AM »
Today I am having better luck in finding haciendas partipating in the bull roundup (not places that have to raise cows or cattle year-round onsite, which was my focus yesterday). I have discovered

HACIENDA LA ALEGRIA not very far from Hacienda Yanahourco. Its cattle roundtup tours are indicated at:

http://www.haciendalaalegria.com/en/Horseriding/rodeos.htm

The roundrup picture looks the same as one of the ones from Yanahourco, not surprising since it appears to be a common activity for area ranchers. I see no evidence of the circular enclosures on the pictures, but they may exist on the grounds. I still think Yanahourco is more probable, but it's not a done deal yet.

( just trying to help here apskip...I took the [sub ] out of your url link. Just hit modify on this message ( above, right hand corner ) to see how I did it it is fine without the code. On the other hand if you want to try using the code it would look like this haciendalaalegria << you have to insert the annoying = in after the first [url then = http:// whatever . com ]  hacienda blah blah [ url]
without the spaces. Either way is fine, we aren't  fussy here, pretty laid back if you ask me. puddin)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:57:41 AM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
Chateau-- :waves:

Can you get us from the hacienda to the Atacama Desert? And maybe from Quito to there? I love having a map but Google Earth hates me....

And I am about to make some phone calls--anything we want to ask for sure? (Hope the haciendda folks hablo English! ;D)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:01:14 AM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »
Chateau-- :waves:

Can you get us from the hacienda to the Atacama Desert? And maybe from Quito to there? I love having a map but Google Earth hates me....

And I am about to make some phone calls--anything we want to ask for sure? (Hope the haciendda folks hablo English! ;D)

espanoeol peach?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
I don't have GE on my work pc.   :'(
So I can't help until I get home.

For the phone call:  Start with this!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:24:47 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
heee....sadly--"Yo no hablo espaņol"

Chateau--would you rather call? I'm willing but if anyone else wants to it is okay! Otherwise I'm calling in just a few minutes--just working on my list of Q's!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:04 AM »
I wouldn't be able to do it until I get home this evening.

Good Luck!

Did you find anything out from the Deering Estate?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
OOPS  :lol: Good luck peach!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »
I spoke briefly with the coordinator at the Deering Estate but she was with a bride--so we have an appt to talk at 2!

Okay--here goes nothing for the hacienda!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
 :woohoo: Definitely the right place!  Charming man on the phone--apparently they have a press release or something so he is emailing me that--then I can call back if I have more questions!  :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »
:woohoo: Definitely the right place!  Charming man on the phone--apparently they have a press release or something so he is emailing me that--then I can call back if I have more questions!  :jumpy:
excallent work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
alright peach  :woohoo:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
This is so much fun! I'm your girl whenever we need to do this!!

Fernando (very charming--I'm picturing a tall, dark, and handsome cowboy!  :flirt: ) and I had a long chat about the Hacienda in general--no new information though. For special questions, he preferred that I submit them in an email and he will send me the prepared sheet and try to answer anything else I asked. The contact link was not working for me, so he gave me his direct email and I've sent off a very nice (and nosy!) list of prepared questions. And I'm to call back if I need more information!

Oh, and they will be having the annual round-up of the wild horses in March and we're invited!

I feel a vacation coming on! :lol:

Hopefully I will do as well at the Deering Estate at 2! Thanks for letting me do this--I'm having a blast!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
DARN! Thought I would actually find out something...Oh, well,at least we know that it is the right place! (I had asked about what it was like for them and about other films...)

Thanks for your mail.
Sorry,I canīt tell you nothing about the film, becouse a signed a contract with them, in which nothing can be set, film or discrive about that event. But I can tell you that all was nice for me and my people. A super experience for all of us. This is not the firts time a film was done at my ranch, this is the 4 time that a USA company uses Yanahurco for a film. Also Paramount pictures have done 2 films.
I am sending you all the inf. attach, about my ranch and turism on it. Hope you like it.
Saludos.
Fernando

(the attachment was mostly stuff we already know...)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
So was it for the PitStop or just a detour/roadblock?