Confirmed! Survivor All-Stars 2
Fri, 15 Jun 2007
Last night I went out for a gossip with a friend of mine Clayton Morar, who's a writer for TV Plus.
He's verry buddy-buddy with loads of previous Survivors and told me that the latest news on the circuit is that a CBS insider has confirmed that they'll be doing a second season of Survivor All-Stars.
It's all hush-hush at the mo 'cos it hasn't been officially announced yet but apparently it's 100% certain that it's happening after Survivor China: Season 15 - which is being filmed between now and August.
To put you in the picture as to where we are season-wise in relation to the US : China's going to be on in the US later this year, Survivor Fiji: Season 14 finished in the US in May and we'll be seeing Survivor Cook Islands: Season 13 when our current Amazing Race finishes.
So they're basically three seasons ahead ... or is it two?
The plan with All-Stars 2 is that it'll start filming in October and go out in the US at the beginning of 2008. As for the casting of it - only Survivors who've been in seasons 9 to 15 will be considered to be in it 'cos of All-Stars 1 casting from season 1 to 7.
The cool thing is that they've got a totally different angle to it - the question they're going to be asking to cast it is: "Who most deserves another chance?".
All-Stars 1 asked something along the lines of : "Who do you want to see again?" which was much more based on popularity and the idea of Survivors being stars - which resulted in the problem of winners being whacked immediately. Clearly there's no point casting winners so the new question cuts them out and takes the game to a way more strategic, three-dimensional juice level.
What's so extra interesting about it is that it forces us to focus on the difference between strategy and who people are and makes us question what it means to be deserving in Survivor. Does it mean the grooviest people or those who played the most cunning strategy or those who got uncessarily unlucky?
You'd think that as a Survivor fan all your choices would automatically be for cunning skullduggery but it's not as simple as that. For instance I really think Exile Island's Terry deserves another chance but he just used athelticism and sucked at strategy.
Then there's Cirie who deserves it her superb social mastermindery and Misty for getting eliminated for no reason at all.
I don't know how exactly they'll be deciding - like if they'll literally ask fans to make decisions or generally guage public opinion - whatever they do it's gonna very much be a case of us and them all being in it together 'cos they'll want to try to please as many of us as possible.
I imagine your brains' already been madly ticking over the possibilities - I haven't stopped casting it since I first heard. I don't know how many they're gonna have in it but I reckon it'll be about 16 or so so here's my casting list for the seasons we've seen:
Exile Island (Season 12)
1. Cirie Fields
2. Terry Deitz
3. Misty Giles
4. Bob Dog - I'm quizzy to see if he really has such a wild sense of humour or if he just tried to get us to think he did.
5. Sally Schumann - for being so generally nice and hurt in her divorce. (Apparently she's dissapeared from the Survivordom and doesn't keep in touch with anybody.)
6. Shane Powers - for thinking Terry was more deserving than Danielle and Aras at the end.
Survivor Guatemala (Season 11)
Bobby Jon - he'd get overdone. Rumour is that Stephenie might be back which would suck in the extreme- she's already waay into overkill.
6. Brandon Bellinger - for his perve-factor. Check out his new profile pic - he looks even better - not quite as rural.
7. Rafe Judkins - for successfully getting work in Hollywood as a screenwriter so he should deliver some good lines and plot.
8. Jamie Hawkins - so we can see someone being dragged off in a straightjacket. I've never seen it in real life so I'm keen.
Survivor Palau (Season 10)
9. Ian Rosenberger - for being an arsehole when he allowed himself to get bullied and manipulated by Tom.
10. Ashlee Ashby - so we can call her Ashlee Ashboobs again.
11. James Miller - to turn the show into a psycho-killer thriller.
12. Gary Hogeboom - for having such a crap strategy the first time round.
Survivor Vanuatu (Season 9 )
13. Twila Tanner - for being a thug.
14. Ami Cusack - for some girl-on-girl action.
15. I don't think All-Stars 1 is supposed to be part of it but they need to put Rob C in - he fully deserves another chance and this second All-Stars would be much more his scene.
16. Colby Donaldson - for not winning either season he played desite being so popular amongst both audiences and the Survivors themselves.
So, so, so what do you think? Spill your list. To help re-jolt your memory as to who was in it what take a look at the TVSA mini-sites for each season:
Survivor Panama: Exile Island (Season 12)
Survivor Guatemala: The Maya Empire (Season 11)
Survivor Palua (Season 10)
Survivor Vanuatu: Islands Of Fire (Season 9)
PS: The Survivors are apparently speculating that a couple of other seasons will be included too but I don't see it happening - they're a decade ago.
PPS: Prepare to need to smack. Loads of the Cook Islands crowd go to Aras's yoga class and do lots of Yoga on the show. http://www.iafrica.com/pls/cms/iac.page?p_t1=5&p_t2=4656&p_t3=4281&p_t4=1650&p_dynamic=YP&p_content_id=968667&p_site_id=2