Author Topic: EP13: ' Say Your Deepest Prayers Ever '  (Read 156499 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP13: ' Say Your Deepest Prayers Ever '
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »
:bar:
Paris / NewYork , NY ( 6/23 -6/24 )

The CBS press release states :
The final three teams on THE AMAZING RACE 10 sprint towards the finish line after traveling more than 40,000 miles in under 30 days, spanning four continents and 13 countries.

Thanks to Coretti@Twop's posts ~  (6/24)
( posted on Jun 24, 2006 @ 3:37 pm )
--------------------------------------------------------------

So, uh, I think I *may* have come across racers today. I do not have actual 100% confirmation that it was TAR, but this is what I saw:
~1:15 PM, 6/24/06
49th between 6th and Rock. Center, right outside one of the NBC entrances (not that they were going in).
All female African-American team (as mentioned in that thread that was linked to on the last page)
Getting out of a cab that was from Newark (which made it stand out more from the traditional NYC cabs).
Two crew with them - one boom mic operator, one cameraman.
The girls got out of the cab and asked a local for directions - the mic operator then had to get the person to sign a release and the team looked very impatient while they were waiting.
The biggest tip-off for me was that one of the crew had a yellow "K" tag, and having just re-watched Season 7, it looked exactly like the tags that everyone has on their bags

jlaw
I was on a flight from Paris to New York on June 24 with 3 TAR teams - 2 young guys, 2 african american women and a man & woman
At ticketing, my friend  asked the two african american women what tv show it was for. 
One of them answered, "You don't need to worry about it, just move out of the way".  We wound up sitting in the bulkhead between business class and coach, near the bathrooms. 
The man from the man/woman team came over to us and asked if we knew where The News Building was in New York City - he even showed us the clue. 
We tried our best to help him out - even gave him some money.  We asked him lots of questions, most of which he couldn't divulge. 

Air France flight 8600 from Charles DeGalle to JKF.  Departed 6/24 @ 825am
While walking thru airport to get to the right terminal I spotted two rugged-looking young guys, a camera man and what looked like a production person. 
When we got to the terminal and checked in, the agent said they had overbooked the flight and would we mind being bumped to a later flight in exchange for $150 voucher, which we agreed to. 
However, the agent said we might still be on that flight and to check back later. 
We went to cash our vouchers at the ticketing office and the two young guys were there with a stack of passports, which I assume is for themselves and the crew that travels with them. 
When we went back to see if we were going to be on the first flight, we saw the two guys in line to check in and that's when we saw the african american women with their own cameraman. 
When we were called up by an agent, my friend walked in front of the camera, asked her question and got rebuffed. 
We found out that we were going to be on the first flight and after checking our baggage, left walking in front of the camera again.
From what I could tell, each team has their own camera man and sound guy.
Plus there's someone that looks like a production person, but I'm not sure if there's one for every team.
It's difficult to tell from the pictures that have been posted if they are the ones I saw - the african american women for sure, the man/woman team in blue is a possibility.
I keep everything....

Via Tarflies one_hardja

I spotted the teams in Paris.. YES, PARIS.. In Eiffel tower. I saw the clue box and camera crews on the top of Eiffel tower.. It was Friday, 23 June 2006, in the morning..
I could post some pictures if you guys want them.. Actually the crews warned me twice not to take photos of the teams..
Here are the pictures that I managed to get in Paris, Eiffel Tower.. It was Friday, 23 June, around 9 to 11 am.. 

thumbnails

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:10:10 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP:13 final leg
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:52:57 PM »
23 June, 9.00am to 11.00am. That doesn't leave the teams much time to travel from Barcelona does it? The Barcelona Pit Stop catering is offered from 11.30am to 4.00pm the previous day, which means that teams will most likely depart from 11.30pm on the 22nd until 4.00am on the 23rd.

Now the earliest flight I can find on Air France (horrible grappling with both French and Spanish) is AF2349 leaving at 7.05am and arriving at 9.00am. Iberia offers IB4422 leaving at 7.25am and arriving at 9.05am, but at Orly Airport.

Orly is 6km from the city centre, Charles de Gaulle 26km. By taxi, travelling time is at least 45 minutes on the A1 expressway, and that is during off-peak hours. Getting to the Eiffel Tower quickly during Friday morning rush hour? I don't think so.

Train services aren't that much more promising. Both airports require a change of train (from Line B to C, and Orly requires an extra light-rail shuttle) to get to the Eiffel tower, and a journey from either airport takes about 50 minutes. No idea how they'd be able to make it, unless they shorten the Pit Stop duration. Now if the just-eliminated team gets on a flight to Paris to join other Sequester II teams though...

Now for the tower itself. I agree with gingerman28 that this looks like an exact repetition: climbing up the Eiffel Tower on foot. The pictures were taken on the second platform, with the first (lowest) platform (http://www.clt.astate.edu/wallen/digits/eiffel/tower03.jpg) enclosed, and the third platform (http://www.clt.astate.edu/wallen/digits/eiffel/tower04.jpg) using squarish netting instead of diagonal ones. I also found this (http://photos.pkicentral.com/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2585.jpg) but I have no idea where it belongs, but the lower level of the second platform (http://www.painetworks.com/photos/ih/ih1319.JPG) seems to fit nicely. And guess what? One is only allowed to climb on foot up to the second platform. Guess the TAR producers ran out of ideas! (I really really hope this is a decoy though.)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:54:50 PM »

This picture was taken between 9:14 and 9:19 am on June 23rd, 2006.

I've got good accuracy with this one because they are located at the North Leg of the tower (where Gustave's Statue is located).  And the Eiffel Tower is oriented exactly North/South/East/West in terms of its leg positions (as near as I can tell from Google Earth, and knowing the French zeal for perfection I suspect that it is exact).  With that pinpoint of orientation and the the way the shadow crosses the rounded surface almost exactly at the corner (a little before, and being a slanted curve, you have to look at the equatorial position) I peg the solar azimuth at 89 plus or minus half a degree.

This all argees quite nicely with the Exif data of the shots:  This Nikon shot has a time stamp of 15:17:31while the Canon shot Karlyn & Lynn has a timestamp of 16:16:54.  But Both shots were taken within seconds of each other.  So they just have a daylight saving time mismatch in addition to their timezone offset of six hours as noted by Slowhatch.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:21:29 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »
Thanks Slowhatch!
if you all want to root through the spoiler thread and bring posts over that would be great!!

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:40:26 PM »
AIRPORT BUNCHING!
as expected TAR10 has MANY of THOSE!  :lol3: :lol3:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:04:33 PM »
The Daily News globe, from the spoilers page: puzzle, or just an info point?
The man from the man/woman team came over to us and asked if we knew where The News Building was in New York City - he even showed us the clue.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »

i am wondering if the news building globe is a clue to where to for the finish line, and i wonder if nyc is like hawaii and alaska and they have to go to a differnt city

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 10:48:06 PM »
Gasworks Park (?)  :lol3:

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »
Gasworks Park (?)  :lol3:

no because there was no second permit found for there. besides the globe in queens by flushing medows park i wonder where else they would finish

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:57:58 AM »
me too
i don't know any other globe other than in Flushing Meadows Park

but am i right... there is a globe at Gas Works too?  :lol3:

Offline purplepink

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 05:49:32 AM »
i'd like tyler and james to win..they're good!!! :yess:

Offline Brn2Wander

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 06:20:33 AM »

Well I finally made it on here!!  First thanks for all your spoilers.  I love it!!

I know where this building is.  I worked in it for years.  It's 220 E. 42nd Street. 

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:06:17 AM »
 Welcome purplepink and Brn2Wander  :hithere:

Brn2Wander , maybe you can help us figure out what the teams might be going to the news building for? :cow

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »
If Bama is indeed spotted in Rock Plaza and NOT at the News Building(27 blocks south, and 4 blocks east of the center) and are in a different type cab (from Newark) could this mean that Bama is indeed a DECOY TEAM?  Remember TAR7 with a team spotted in NYC, but the actual teams on the way to Miami?

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 12:04:58 PM »
Keep trying to squeeze out a little more hope, eh Gman?  ;)

If Bamas were decoys,
1. They wouldn't have them run the Paris leg, where they were spotted.
2. They wouldn't send them to out-of-the-way destinations in NY the DAY of the finish line -- they'd run the risk of not having them there to greet the winners.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:18:03 PM »
might as well bring this over ..maybe just maybe the Chos & BQ"S were running as decoys? "Alamo sculpture in Astor Place " ?
Oh they are just coming out of the woodwork!
1) Why wait until now to post?Why all of a sudden remember that you have a spolier?
2)The posters first post? not very credible.
3) the Chos were decoys.

shirleyf 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"
 10-30-06, 00:28 AM (EST)

" East Coast US Major City"

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER East Coast US Major City

Cho brothers and the blonds will make it to New York, most likely one of the later episodes of the season....

I was in NYC this summer early one Saturday morning right by Union Square, and I saw a few people running up to the group of people I was with, holding clue cards in their hands. I recall it was one of the Cho brothers (the younger one I believe), pointed to their clue card, which was the Alamo sculpture in Astor Place in NYC. (see picture on wikipedia here

One of the people in our group knew where it was, and pointed them to get to the right direction (it was South of Union Sq). It didn't hit us until a minute later when we were like, "didn't they look like they were in the Amazing Race?!?!" We never thought we'd be one of those people who they would ask directions for. I think we also saw the blond girls chasing right after the Cho brothers...

Offline Brn2Wander

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:21:16 PM »
Welcome purplepink and Brn2Wander  :hithere:

Brn2Wander , maybe you can help us figure out what the teams might be going to the news building for? :cow

I can't imagine why but if they want to find it they better ask someone from the older generation.  I don't think it's called the Daily News Building anymore.  It might be called the News Building.

http://www.greatgridlock.net/NYC/nyc2a.html#25

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »
"Alamo sculpture in Astor Place " ?

Just in case puddin

[attachment deleted by admin]
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
But is there a globe in Gas Works?  :lol3:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 08:49:20 PM »
But is there a globe in Gas Works? 
I know the answer but am not doing your homework for you ....google is your friend :nods:

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
The answer is no, right?   (:;)
sorry my mind isn't working properly right now...  :lol: :lol:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 02:00:42 AM »
Probably someone already thought of this and I missed seeing it above.  But what about this:

They get their clue in Paris to find a globe in NYC and there is some form of clue which indicates which globe they need to find.  Then, on the way to NYC, they ask about any globes that people know about in NYC.  "well there's this globe...that globe... etc"

And we know which globe they are supposed to go to!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Brn2Wander

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 05:53:33 AM »
Probably someone already thought of this and I missed seeing it above.  But what about this:

They get their clue in Paris to find a globe in NYC and there is some form of clue which indicates which globe they need to find.  Then, on the way to NYC, they ask about any globes that people know about in NYC.  "well there's this globe...that globe... etc"

And we know which globe they are supposed to go to!

I think you're right.  This would be the PERFECT pit stop.  Look at this view of the Globe in College Point Park.  Funny I always thought it was Flushing Meadows Park.  It's been there since the World's Fair in 1964.

http://www.yellowecho.com/travel/unisphere_360.htm

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:19 AM »
You mean the perfect FINISH LINE...  :rotf:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »
Last night I was working on mapping out the sightings in NY but lost my momentum.
Anyone up to it?
We have reports of Astor Place/Alamo Cube
Rockefeller Center
and the News Building

fwiw:

keepdude52

keepdude52
Channel Surfer

Nov 28, 2006 @ 9:55 pm Post #5452
Does anyone have a list of the current known all-stars? And does anyone know when TAR 10 finished? One of my friends was in New York and said he thought he saw something that looked like TAR with a couple winning. But don't quote me on that

keepdude52
Channel Surfer

Yesterday @ 9:04 pm Post #5462
My friend was either in or on his way to (damn bad cell phone reception) Rockefeller Center and said he saw a youngish couple on around the date you said. The part that I'm speculating about is whether the couple won or not. There was no way for him to tell whethere they were first or not