Author Topic: The Amazing Race: Asia 1  (Read 69353 times)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The Amazing Race: Asia 1
« on: October 01, 2006, 12:04:03 PM »
Well, if anything, training ground for the real thing?

Here's the official website. Perhaps I should start the ball rolling?

This promotional picture...

... was taken at Regent Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia...

And leading from that, the teams walk-in (from the videos)...

... seems to be at Merdeka Square, which makes it the starting line...

And here's something possibly relevant to the American edition: "The teams will race around Asia and beyond..."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:44:50 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race: Asia
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »
Heres another article about the teams
Look Ma, 2 Pinoy teams!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »
I'll help !! Thanks banzai  :jumpy:

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
 :jumpy:  How nice, they even gave us a map of where TAR Asia went!!!   :jam:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »
Can you say Auckland ?  :snicker:

ok I'll will be back with some screencaps ..brb
You have to register to see the site clips here
OK its too hard to grab sceencaps from the official site so will do the youtube .
Also I'm uploading the other preview on youtube .. brb again  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:20:06 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 03:29:54 PM »
Preview 1 photobucket ( last to first )

Preview 2 photobucket ( last to first ) ..this one I will work more on later .

but had to pull these out

Halong BAY !
<< HEY thats ours ! lol
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 03:50:53 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 04:07:52 PM »
:tup: Thanks, puddin! :snicker: I suspect there are some of our TAR clips in this preview.   :lol:

A quick glance at the photobuckets reveals the following locations:

Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The Red Fort, Agra, India

Sydney Opera House & Sydney Harbour Bridge,  Sydney, Australia

Suntec City Fountain and Raffles Landing Business district skyline,  Singapore

Jumbo floating restaurant,  Hong Kong, China

Auckland Skyline (Auckland Tower),  Auckland, New Zealand

Ferry boat,  Istanbul, Turkey

National Monument,  Jakarta, Indonesia

B:)

ETA:  Listening to the YouTube clip, I think the first stop is Tokyo. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:05:24 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:39:32 PM »
I added a few more to the Preview 2 album
Oh and NICE avatar Boingo  :jumpy: !!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 06:59:55 PM »
Oh and NICE avatar Boingo  :jumpy: !!

:js: Thanks, I like it too!   ;)

TAR Asia starting line is in the (Dutch) Colonial District of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 10:54:24 AM »
If CBS can't stop us on the spoiling, AXN has no chance.

I should be able to cover the easy ones, so over to you guys for the Puesta del Sols and the Golden Boys!

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Boingo, the Colonial District (British, actually) is where Merdeka Square lies. That's the Sultan Abdul Samad Building in your photo, on the eastern flank of the field. The videos suggest that teams walk in from the fountains, stand in a ring around Allan (that's the host) on the northern side, then run across the grounds over to their bags on the southern end, underneath the tallest flagpole in the world. No lack of on-lookers in the background, but I'm not sure if AXN cares.

Ha! I finally understood the first clue! It reads "shop until you drop", and leads the teams to Berjaya Times Square, on the opposite end of town near the Bukit Bintang shopping district. The fastest way there by taxi is for teams to cross the road first (really busy road with NO lights), but I doubt any of the 'foreign' teams would know that. Not too big a disadvantage though. I've posted a bit of detailed reasoning on why the first location is Times Square here, but dtyz87 has very concisely cleared it up for us. :lol:

It doesn't look like the teams know what they're in for (Sri Lankan team really thinking they're going shopping), but well, PUN coming right at ya! The rappel takes place near outside Lots 54-57 down a couple of storeys onto the Ground Floor, and an Esprit Stall (Lot G54-G57, Ground Floor) can be seen in one of the online videos. One of the girls falls by Bizzy Body Slimming though (Lot 06-64 & 65, 6th Floor), so we'd need to check if they're close enough to be in the same location. My opinion? Not a wonderful starting task (too... unprofessional), but you gotta love the pun.

I see other shots of the Petronas Towers, the Menara KL and the train station, but I guess those are just location establishing shots taken from within taxis. The pushcarts should be in Kuala Lumpur, but I think you can find them pretty much all over Malaysia. It's just the hawker culture...

All the opening sequence team shots look like they've been taken in the sequester hotel, the Regent, itself. (How lousy is that!) Howard and Saran can be seen in Oggy, one of the restaurants within. And of course, the modesl in the pool. (We've got that one spoiled already.)

MELAKA, MALAYSIA

The next location I can bet on is Melaka, a two-hour bus ride down from Kuala Lumpur. No trains connect the two cities, but a taxi MAY be feasible, though pretty expensive. The picture shows one of those tourist-oriented rickshaws, and it looks like he's right in front of the State House Museum at the foot of Bukit St Paul. I'm also pretty convinced that the Indonesian brothers are in front of one of the lesser-known churches in Melaka, but I don't have photographic prove just yet. St Francis Xavier is close, but it's not a total match.

The dancing challenge sure looks like the Mini Malaysia Park to me. It's about twenty minutes out of the city in a district known as Ayer Keroh, and is probably the only place in a couple of hundred miles where you can find all the different types of Malay traditional housing together (I can at least see the Minangkabau of Negeri Sembilan and a couple of others).

The racing looks like it could be at Sepang, which has its own go-kart track. (I should know, I planned a TAR running across Southeast Asia myself.) Probably just product placement for Caltex though. I can't figure out the Pit Stop just yet. State mosque of anywhere? A stadium? Or maybe even Indonesia? Any ideas?

And guess who makes a surprise appearance in the opening sequence?

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 01:35:34 PM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »
This might belong here

bondishnz

"Amazing Race 10 Sighting "
To those who are interested:
A friend of mine saw a team from what I guess is Season 10 on an Air New Zealand flight from Queenstown to Auckland, yesterday, June 2nd. The team spotted was 'an Asian couple, who looked very tired'. They were apparently en route to Singapore.

from RTVW[/s]

Blog link   cantdecide 4 June, 2006 - 7:20pm
Apparently the Amazing Race came to NZ last week and they went to Devonport and one team asked my friend's sister's friends [xD] for money instructions on how to use the ferry! 

Blog Link
( starts off )( posted June 5th 2006 )
Well hello hello hello!!! I'm afraid I dont have any photographs for all you Beth- blog-a-holics but I just have to tell you that I am having the most amazing time here in the wonderful South Island of New Zealand!
( midway )
seen teams from the tv programme 'the amazing race' jump out of 4x4s and get their clues from a small box in a small town; been told off by the production team for trying to pose for a photo with a clue from said box in our hand;

MissWendyWings is from New Zealand and has been hinting she knows something here :)
Devonport -naval base, old war tunnels
Over and out.
www.devonport.co.nz/things.htm knock yourselfs out kids :)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 04:55:59 AM »
1) long time, no post.
2) Wanna help spoiling too....BTW, Sepang and Indonesia are plausible destinations due to the Youtube clip.
3) I knew there was something about the New Zealand and Singapore spoilers supposedly for AR10.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »
What are some of the memorable moments viewers can look forward to?

Wu: Well, there's a car accident very early on in the race. There are people eating indigenous delicacies from a certain country and then vomiting all over the place.

It's not blended up worms or maggots or fish eyes like I had on Fear Factor, it's just normal food but some of the people on the show just couldn't take it.

A lot of times the contestants are pitted against their own fears so there are a lot of memorable moments where people are just bawling in their efforts to conquer the challenges and move ahead in the race.

more here..

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 05:16:38 AM »
AXN did a 30-minute preview of TAR: Asia yesterday night, and boy do we have work to do!

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q300/TAR_Neobie/?start=all

Lacking the money and lacking the technology, I apologize profusely for these misaligned vidcaps (took photos of my TV using my camera). My curtain shows up in some of the darker shots, so please ignore them! (How embarassing.)

Below is speculation about what will happen, and I have arranged the vidcaps totally differently from the chronological order in which they appeared on the AXN special. Tbere's very little actual dialogue played during the programme, so there's not much to speculate on the audio part. Now that we're done with the TAR: Real opening sequence, surely you guys can spend some time helping the Asian audience! :kuss:

MERDEKA SQUARE, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Allan greets us in the middle of the Merdeka Square field. It is from here that (word for word) "10 teams will embark on a race around the world, for 100,000... US dollars." How contrived!

The teams walk out from the northern end of the field to the starting line.

Allan gives his instructions, but he will never be Phil.

"Go!" and the teams are off.

The teams run over to the southern end, where the Malaysian flag flies. Sahil (India) beats the entire field by at least a third of the... field. Their first clue, according to an earlier preview, starts with "Shop till you drop."

No transportation provided, so the teams' first task is to head over to the road on the field's eastern side to flag a taxi. Some teams stay on the side of the field, others jaywalk to the opposite side. You can see the camera crew in some of the shots.

Teams cruise through the city of Kuala Lumpur. In some of the shots you can see the Malaysian flag, the KL Monorail line and various skyscrapers.

BERJAYA TIMES SQUARE, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Taxis drop teams off near Berjaya Times Square, and they take off on foot. The vidcaps show Pudu Jail, next to the shopping mall. (Go figure.)

Pudu Jail

Teams try to find their next clue within the mall.

From a previous preview, we learn that teams rappel INSIDE the mall from one of the higher floors.

Aubrey (Philippines) looks worried, but she's on the ground floor. Is this a Roadblock?

Completion of the task earns teams their next clue.

CRAFT COMPLEX, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Teams next take taxis to the Kuala Lumpur Craft Complex. This follows soon after Berjaya Times Square, as the teams drive for the remainder of the leg. Looks like the yellow Detour envelope to me.

Following the Google Earth image of the Craft Centre, we can link another set of clips to this place.

Teams on the plaza pointed out in the Google Earth image.

Not sure where these belong. The Mario Brothers (Indonesia) just completed a painting thing to get their next clue, and previous previews suggest that there is a dancing task to do with the lady. The two choices for the Detour?

MENARA KL, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

Teams switch their taxis for cars, and Howard/Sahran (Sri Lanka) are seen here taking the road in to the Menara KL.

Teams walk up the hill through the Botanical Gardens to the clue. In the first two shots, Zabrina (Malaysia) tells the other teams "that way, go all the way up."

Not sure if anything is done at the top, but here are the teams walking back down.

THE ROADS OF MALAYSIA

Lots and lots of driving. There's a toll gate, so teams do head outside of Kuala Lumpur. The Mario Brothers (Indonesia) get out and ask for directions a couple of times. Can someone figure out Francesca's map?

GO-KART RACING, SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD

My hunch tells me this should be at the go-kart track at Sepang F1 Circuit, but I don't have hard evidence. The suits are blatant product placements for Caltex.

STATE HOUSE MUSEUM, MELAKA, MALAYSIA

This is all I have so far.

This matches a BASE jumping video here, but doesn't that throw the hill climb sequence out of whack? Allan says "You are team number... three." in a VERY strange way.

Can you guess why the Mario Brothers (Indonesia) are so happy? Could the next destination be Jakarta? I'm putting this sequence as the Pit Start, as there is little other footage of teams at dusk, let alone at night. A twelve hour difference from a mid-day finish would put teams in the middle of the night.

Teams drive through the night. Andrew/Syeon (Malaysia), Laura/Andy (Thailand), the Mario Brothers (Indonesia), Sahran/Howard (Sri Lanka), Prashant/Sahil (India) are all safe for Leg 1. Is #146 Zabrina/Joe Jer (Malaysia)? If it is not, it means... (continued later). Also, can anyone figure out the map in #74? It has a railway line running down it.

Sahran/Howard (Sri Lanka) hire a cab to follow. "We need to get to the airport really quickly." "Thank you!" "We'll follow you."

Looks like Kuala Lumpur International Airport to me. Air Asia did move over to the Low Cost Terminal a while ago, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the race. I see four different flights by Air Asia (the sponsor airline, which they will undoubtedly take) running from Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta: AK952 at 7am, QZ7603 at 9.50am, AK954 at 1.40pm and AK956 at 6.50pm. Each flight takes an hour to get to Indonesia.

SOEKARNO-HATTA INTL AIRPORT, JAKARTA, INDONESIA

Prashant/Sahil (India), Sahran/Howard (Sri Lanka), Laura/Andy (Thailand), Ernie/Jeena (Philippines), Sharon/Melody (Singapore), the Mario Brothers (Indonesia) are seen in the same shots, so they probably all got on the same flight. (I'm not 100% sure if Sharon/Melody is with the main pack.)

Aubrey/Jacqueline (Philippines), Francesca/Sandy (Hong Kong) and Andrew/Syeon (Malaysia) also make it. The only team not seen here is Zabrina/Joe Jer, were they eliminated in Leg 1? If it is, it means #146 is not them.

STREETS, JAKARTA, INDONESIA

Teams here are wearing different clothes from they did in Kuala Lumpur, so it's safe to put these in Jakarta, I suppose?

Based on an earlier preview, this leg ends at the National Monument in Jakarta.

THE ROCKS, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

Sharon/Melody (Singapore) and Sahran/Howard (Sri Lanka) make it to the tiny park across from the Sydney Opera House at dawn. Looks like a Detour clue to me. The Mario Brothers (Indonesia) arrive later in the morning. The teams are now about 300 yards away from the Sydney Pit Stop in TAR2, the Metropolitan Art Museum.

When the sun is up, a team prepares food very close to the first cluebox, right underneath the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Who is this?

MOUNT EDEN, AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND

The cluebox is in a rugby field below the Sky Tower, and I'm thinking it's at Mount Eden, on the southern side of downtown.

RANDOMITIES

Singapore. Probably stock footage.

Different shots of the sun setting.

Air Asia landing. Could this be Jakarta?

Probably Malaysia? Reminders of the Manukan Island Roadblock in TAR4.

Various animals from around the world. Any clues?

Jacqueline (Philippines) looks shocked (or hilarious). "They're gone already?"

Could be Berjaya Times Square, could be Menara KL. I've got no clue.

Another gut reaction for Melaka, but no proof yet.

Heck, I don't even know who this is.

Boat from who knows where?

Red Fort, Delhi. Could be recycled.

In the reflection there's a little TAR flag stuck into the ground.

Turkey and South Africa, stolen from TAR: Real.

Maoris in New Zealand.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:42:26 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:23:46 PM by puddin »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »
Joe Jer wears white in Kuala Lumpur but black when she is cooking (thanks Banzai!), possibly placing the food cart task in Jakarta. If Leg #1 takes place over a single day, it means ALL ten teams make it to the Menara KL mat and survive. A non-elimination on the first leg?!

Offline TheCinera

• "RFF Hero"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:45 PM »
Seems interesting, I think I'll watch it!   

Just some scheduling info for those who also want to watch it too, this premires on Thursday, November 9th at 8AM (yes, AM) EST.  I figured out the time zones because it premires at 9PM Singapore time. 
If you can't watch it then (I can't, I have class at 8-9, dang), then you can watch it at 11am this Thursday EST.  Then, for the next few weeks, it'll be at 11:30am EST on Thursday (Still having a premire time of 8AM EST).

If you want extra time, here's the link to the site's schedule: http://www.axn-asia.com/schedule/index.php
Just add 13 hours to the schedule time there for times in EST, then you'll know when to watch.

Offline qing_her

• RFF Full Member
  • Amazing Race Addict
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 12:37:10 AM »
The first animal is an Oryx (like Orry the mascot of the 15th Asian Games).

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 09:29:42 AM »
Wow! That means the Qatar and around!

Bag. (Although this could belong in another location altogether.)

Bag.

No bag!

Sahran/Howard have their bags in the airport shots though, so they weren't mugged the first leg. Confusion!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:40:39 AM by Neobie »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »
Found a clip of Joe Jer in dark blue tank top
I think it's the same with this tank top

If Syeon is wearing a yellow tank top in Indonesia, then...

the food task is in Indonesia too

Zabrina/Joe Jer
Mardy/Marsio chose this task
Syeon (yellow); don't know who's in pink?

If the mactors are in Indonesia, then...

...these clips are in Indonesia too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:02:33 PM by banzai »

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
http://amazingrace.myweb.hinet.net/

This website has a few more clips: pitstop....

edit: more episode 1 stuffs.

Mario bros are racing with Andrew to the mat

this clue box ...
... is this clue box. Hmm.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:51:41 PM by banzai »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 05:41:59 PM »
Oh I like that site banzai..I wish we could help them with this seasons vidcaps seeing as CBS hasn't updated the preview link YET.

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2006, 06:32:49 PM »
^^ I don't know if they know English so I can't email them and I don't know their email either.  ???

More stuffs, a lot of foot race to the mat in this race. Some of the people are crews.

Laura, Andy, Francesca, Joe Jer?  ???
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:56:13 PM by banzai »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 12:48:26 AM »
:yess: Pit Stop:

King Street Wharf, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:54:47 AM by Neobie »