Author Topic: Racing Report Leg One  (Read 4078 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg One
« on: September 29, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »

Last season, I attempted to break down the show based on the performance of the racers.  How they finished the leg, how fast they finished the leg (which is often quite different), if they followed the clues, if they were followers, ect.

So I have decided to do it again for this season.  But hopefully with a little more detail.

So here we go with the starting leg of the 10th season of the Amazing Race.

Teams start out in Gasworks Park.  Teams are given $66.00 for the leg. 

Leaving Order (this may not be 100% accurate, but its pieced together off of the show)
1.  Tyler and james
2.  Bilal and Sa’eed
3.  Erwin and Godwin
4.  Tom and Terry
5.  Kellie and Jamie
6.  Rob and Kimberly
7.  Lyn and Karlyn
8.  Peter and Sarah
9.  Vipol and Arti
10.  Dustin and Kandice
11.  David and Mary
12.  Duke and Lauren

Several teams had trouble getting there vehicles in motion (Duke and Lauren, Dustin and Kandice, David and Mary).

Teams have to drive to SEATEC airport, and four teams jump ahead by avoiding a large accident (2 by taking the 99 instead of I-5, the other two by getting off the highway and going around the accident).

Order on first flight
1.  Peter and Sarah
2.  Dustin and Kandice (the two teams that went around the accident)
3.  David and Mary
4.  Tyler and James (both got directions from locals and took the 99)
5.  Duke and Lauren
6.  Lyn and Karlyn

Order on 2cd Flight
7.  Tom and Terry
8.  Kellie and Jamie
9.  Vipol and Arti
10.  Bilal and Sa’eed
11.  Erwin and Godwin
12.  Rob and Kimberly

Several teams had trouble finding the correct drop off point for their vehicles (bilal and Sa’eed, Erwin and Godwin, and Rob and Kimberly).

Peter and Sarah are the only team shown buying their ticket before checking the arrival time of the other flight.  A minor that has before hurt teams who get the slower flight without checking.

Tyler and and James are shown asking before they purchase.

The first flight arrives at 8:22 pm in China.

Teams leave in the following Order
1.  Duke and Lauren
2.  Peter and Sarah
3.  Lyn and Karlyn
4.  David and Mary
5.  Dustin and Kandice
6.  Tyler and James

The 2cd flight arrives on time at 9:00 pm in China
Teams leave in the following order
7.  Tom and Terry
8.  Kellie and Jamie
9.  Rob and Kimberly
10.  Bilal and Sa’eed
11.  Vipol nd Arti
12.  Erwin nd Godwin

Teams take cabs to the Golden House Restaurant for this week’s Roadblock (eating all the fish eyes in the fish head soup).

Just a note of approval.  Often times the producers go for quantity of foreign food, designed apparently to make the contestants vomit.  This one is designed (similar to season four’s octopus to just eat something that isn’t part of your culture.  A nice improvement.

Teams arrive at the Roadblock in the following order.  a (R) denotes which member did the Roadblock.

1.  Duke (R) and Lauren
2.  Lyn and Karlyn (R)
3.  Peter (R) and Sarah
4.  David and Mary (R)
5.  Tyler and James (R)
6.  Kellie and Jamie (R)
7.  Tom and Terry (R)
8.  Dustin and Kandice
9.  Rob (R) and Kimberly
10.  Vipol (R), and Arti
11.  Bilal (R) and Sa’eed
12.  Erwin (R) and Godwin

Dustine nd Kandice lost over half an hour due to the cab taking them to the wrong locations, Erwin and Godwin also were taken to the wrong location, but we have nothing to figure how much time the lost, since they were last out of the airport an last at the Roadblock.

Teams finish the Roadblock in the following Order
1.  Lyn and Karlyn
2.  Duke and Lauren
3.  Peter and Sarah
4.  David and Mary
5.  Tyler and James
6.  Kellie and Jamie
7.  Tom and Terry
8.  Dustin and Kandice
9.  Rob and Kimberly
10.  Vipol and Arti
11. Bilal and Sa’eed
12.  Erwin and Godwin

Lyn and Karlyn did a good job in completing faster then Duke and LAuren.

Teams then drive to the Forbidden City to pull a departure time.

7:00am
1.  Peter and Sarah
2.  Duke and Lauren
3.  Lyn and Karlyn
4.  Tyler and James

7:15 am
5.  Tom and Terry
6.  Kellie and Jamie
7.  David and Mary
8.  Dustin and Kandice

7:30 am
9.  Rob and Kimberly
10.  Vipol and Arti
11.  Erwin and Godwin
12.  Bilal and Sa’eed and are eliminated.

The order changed around a bit due to several reasons: teams not getting dropped off at the right entrance (Lyn and Karlyn), teams having difficulty in getting a cab (David and Mary) and two teams not being able to communicate with their drivers on where they needed to go (Vipol and Arti and Bilal and Sa’eed).

Vipol and Arti did the correct thing in going to a hotel and having the cab driver get directions from the hotel personal.

The next morning teams  have to direct their motor carts tot eh next route marker.

Teams arrive in the following order.
1.  Peter and Sarah
2.  Duke and LAuren
3.  Lyn and Karlyn
4.  Tyler and James
5.  Dustin and Kandice
6.  Kellie and Jamie
7.  Tom and Terry
8.  David and Mary
9.  Rob and Kimberly
10.  Erwin and Godwin
11.  Vipol and Arti

Dustin and Kandice made up two spots, while Vipol and Arti got lost losing quite a bit of time.

Detour.  Either labor or leisure.
Labor travel one mile and pave a specific pattern in the sidewalk.
Leisure travel 2 miles and perform a relaxation technique  in unison.

Arrival at Labor in Order
1.  Peter and Sarah
2.  Lyn and Karlyn
3.  Duke and Lauren
4.  TYler and James
5.  Dustin and Kandice
6.  David and Mary
7.  Rob and Kimberly
8.  Erwin and Godwin
9.  Vipol and Arti

Arrival at Leisure in Order
Kellie and Jamie
Tom and Terry.  Just a second or two separates these two.

Tyler and James are the first to notice and due the correct pattern.  All teams miss the outer layer of Bricks.  Some just catch it much quicker then others.

Detours finished in order
1.  Tyler and James
2.  Peter and Sarah
3.  Duke and Lauren
4.  Lyn and Karlyn
5.  Dustin and Kandice
6.  David and Mary
7.  Rob and Kimberly
8.  Tom and Terry
9.  Kellie and Jamie
10.  Erwin and Godwin
11.  Vipol and Arti

Teams proceed tot he Great Wall of China where they have to climb the wall by climbing over it to reach the Pit Stop.

Teams arrive at the wall in the following order
1.  Tyler and James (even though Peter and Sarah and Duke and Lauren got faster transportation, neither team found the right spot).
2.  Duke and Lauren
3.  Peter and Sarah
4.  Dustin and Kandice
5.  Lyn and Karlyn
6.  Tom and Terry
7.  David and Mary
8.  Rob and Kimberly
9.  Erwin and Godwin
10.  Kellie & Jamie
11.  Vipol and Arti

Order of teams actually completing climb and getting to the Pit Stop
1.  Tyler and James  9:04 am(win the leg and $10,000 each)
2.  Duke and Lauren  9:17 am
3.  Peter and Sarah  9:22 am
4.  Dustin and Kandice  9:36 am
5.  Rob and Kimberly  9:51 am
6.  Kellie and Jamie  9:56 am
7.  Erwin and Godwin  10:02 am
8.  Tom and Terry  10:13 am
9.  Lyn and Karlyn  10:19 am
10.  David and Mary  10:29 am
11.  Vipol and Arti-eliminated.

So from the morning departure times we can figure out how fast each team finished the tasks in the morning.

Listing in order  how fast each team completed today’s tasks.
1.  Tyler and James 2:04 mins
2.  Dustin and Kandice 2:11 mins
3.  Duke and Lauren  2:17 mins
4.  Rob and Kimberly  2:21 mins
5.  Peter and Sarah  2:22 mins
6.  Erwin and Godwin  2:32 mins
7.  Kellie and Jamie  2:41 mins
8.  Tom and Terry  2:58 mins
9.  David and Mary  3:14 mins
10.  Lyn and Karlyn  3:19 mins
Eliminated:  Vipol and Arti  the fastest they could have completed this tasks is 3:00  it was, based on there insider video’s most likely 5 mins -10 mins more then 3 hours.

So lets look at the teams

1.  Tyler and James
Overall a fairly good leg, with no mistakes on their parts.  Bonus points for getting directions to the airport, for checking the other flights arrival time before purchasing tickets.  They did well at the detour by being the first to notice the outer layer of bricks and by completing the full tasks faster then the others.  The lost time by employee the aid of a local in finding a cab.  The local keep directing them to a bus (though at least they followed the clue and realized that they can not take a bus).  They were the first team to locate the climbing area of the Great wall and did a great job in climbing.  If not for losing several minutes with local leading them to the bus stop, they would have completed even faster.

2.  Duke and Lauren
Overall a very steady leg.  They handled both roadblock and detour fairly well.  THough they did not use the outer bricks and had to see another team do it before correcting their mistake.  The only other minor complaint is that it took them a little bit to notice the correct access to the wall.  But a very solid leg.

3.  Peter and Sarah
Nice navigating around the accident in Seattle to gain the first spot on eh first flight, though it was mistake to check the arrival time after they already purchased tickets.  That could’ve hurt (and in previous years it has).  Good use of using Sarah’s disability to speed through customs (pre boarding isn’t that big a deal, customs is if they managed to get both their sound and camera man in fast as well).  Good job at the roadblock and did well at the detour  by not following the correct pattern until seeing another team do it correctly.  The only other mistake was not finding the correct access point to the great wall.  They appear to go further off the any other team.  ANd while Sarah has problems managing the climb, she does better then many of the other teams.  A good leg, with a few errors.

4.  Dustin and Kandice
A great leg for this team in doing the roadblock and the detour, making up several spots.  But the team was original set back considerable by cabs and I assume the language barrier. 

5.  Rob and Kimberly
A strong performance on the detour and a good job on the roadblock that was hampered by navigation errors in finding the correct drop-off point for their cars at the Seattle airport, putting them last on the final flight.

6.  Kellie and Jamie
A good leg, they were delayed by slow traffic getting to the leisure detour, but they climbed the wall very quickly to gain 4 spots.

7.  Erwin and Godwin
Another team delayed by not being able to locate the car return.  But otherwise an rather average leg.  Really the worst thing they did was by bringing water pistols to an airport.  While having a sense of humor is often important to keeping your moral up.  This was an exceedingly bad idea.  Worst case situation is that the team would have been detained and missed their flights. 

8.  Tom and Terry
A rather bland leg, they did manage to complete the leisure detour faster then Kellie and Jamie, but they were also delayed by the traffic getting there.  And difficulty climbing the wall, cost them two spots.

9.  Lyn and Karlyn
A fairly good leg with two problems.  They excelled at the Roadblock passing one team, but they  got dropped off at the wrong entrance letting two teams pass them.  At  the detour they made the same mistake as others with eh outer pattern and they also took longer then the other early teams.  But where they really lost a lot in time was the very physical task of climbing the wall.  The lost 4 positions from that.  In fact it appears that this team had the hardest time with the climb.

10.  David and Mary
A overall good leg, with two problems.  By stopping and getting directions they managed to get on the first flight.  They did the roadblock well, only losing a spot in looking for a cab.  They did fine at the roadblock, but were hurt by the team’s difficulty in climbing the wall.  The lost three positions here.

11.  Vipol and Arti
Sorry but one of the biggest factors in he amazing race that the contestants have control over is navigation.  THey were the only team to get lost by not being able to find the Detour route marker.  This cost them considerable time they couldn’t afford.  They did wisely the day before have their cab driver stop for direction at a Hotel (always a good move, when you aren’t with other teams and have trouble communicating with a cab driver).  But with this error in navigation they were never able to make up the time.

12.  Bilal and Sa’eed
With the problems of being stuck in traffic in Seattle and not finding the location to drop of the car, they were stuck on the 2cd flight.  ANd with cab difficulty in finding the forbidden city they were eliminated.  I think perhaps if they would ave stopped at a hotel, they might have been able to beat the win brothers.

Favorite comment on the episode.

Dustin and Kandice on cab problems:  “Two teams that were on the 2cd plane ride passed us, and thetas really disheartening, cause we worked so hard and so long to be on the first plane ride.”

Okay, running to the cars, driving to the airport and getting to the ticket counter.  That's how hard you had to work to get on the first flight. 

Here’s to next week.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Racing Report Leg One
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
 :-* I appreciate this mswood  :jam: ! Thank you so much !!

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
Well Puddin, I can't even come close to anay of the detective work everyone does in the spoiler thread (as much as I love it).  But this, I can do.

Plus I like doing it, even if no one really cares about it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:18:02 AM »
I care ! I enjoyed reading it and was thinking it should be moved to the spoler thread  :waves:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 01:06:24 AM »
I know last season I put it in the spoilers thread.  But really there isn't anything spoiler about it.  Since I wait until the next episode has aired (to get the arrival times) and all the info is already out there including the CBS Insider video's.  I just put it on teh regular page.

Now if you want to move it, that of course is your call.  I bow to your superior wisdow.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
 :lol: oh stop  :lol3: ! I just thought the spoiler thread is more active than the chit chat thread thats all .

Offline Aventus

• RFF Full Member
  • Jumping the shark?!.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
It's not a spoiler but it's quite a step-by-step.
Like you, I just love to see the investigation, but I'm not a detective as those guys.

With this performance we can (try to) predict how the teams are going to race.

N1

Offline dmcintosh24

• RFF Newbie
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 06:49:04 AM »
wow. with all that information, i wish i had the time to put that info in a spreadsheet. If you gave a points based on the finish, i bet you could at least predict the next winner and after halfway, predict the final winner.

that's alot of work you did. thanks!!

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »
Well, I wouldn't use this to predict a winner.  So far out of the regular editions of the Amazing RAce the best performering team of its season has only won once.  That was CHip and Reichen in Season 4.  And ranking wise they weren't that great of a team (season four had a much closer level of performance between teams).

Its one of the problems I have with the show, is that I don't mind the bunching at the beginning of a leg.  But unforunately in the final leg, we usually get at least two bunching points and one of them is uausally very near the end of the episode.

This gives teams that might normally not being able to keep pace with the strongest team, a much better chance of being competitive throughout the whole leg.

I actually think they should have the entire final leg begin with the flight to the US and then procedd to to both a detour and a roadblock in the or near the final destination.

Just imagine all the stress and pressure of knowing you are so close to a million dollars and then to find out unlike other seasons, you have a ton of difficult taks, and hard navigation to do.  That would be so cool.